Chilli Seedlings

I am living in the South of Australia and about 6 or more weeks ago bought some Thai chilli seeds (prik kin noo) from ebay, I planted the seed in seed raising mix, in 100mm pots. I have since had a good success rate with 85% germinating. Of those that gave germinated they have only grown a meagre 10mm at most, with most of this growth occurring over the last three weeks. I gave them a little organic fertiliser a couple of weeks ago but for some reason they just seem to take forever to get groing.

I have other plants in the garden, corriander, mint, toms, snowies, etc and these are going great, it's spring time here and I may have been a little early but we have had some nice weather lately. I have never done chillis from seed before so I would love a little feedback. My wife says that they are just hard to get going but will grow well once established.

Any tips, thoughts?

Hi Davo, i have a Thai Birdseye Chilli in Hydroponics here in NSW and it is very slow i think its normal some are quicker than others i dont know why i am growing it because i dont like hot spicy food

Cheers

Scoop

Funny you say that, I don't like spicy food either, I just do it for the missus plus I like gardening. I have a birds eye chilli that I bought as a 100mm tall seedling from Bunnings and this has had a bit of growth, more than the prik kin noo.

I guess thats gardening, I like doing it but I'm not really good at it.

• 5 months later...

Hi Loong, yes my thai birdseye took off, i am growing it in Hydroponics, and it is amazing, it has masses of chillis on it , and i have tried 1 in a tomato gravy, and that will be the last time for me, it was hottttttttttttttttt, i am not good at hot, the post was in october 2011 and it is still raging with blood hot chillis

cheers

Scoop

• 1 month later...

Some chilis like sulfur. I just take a book of matches and throw them next to the plant. Works for me. I grow a wide variety of hot peppers and the matches have never killed any.

Another thing I discovered is if I don't water them until the soil is dry they do better. This year I have cut back on the varieties. I was growing 31 varieties but am down to Thai Bird Peppers, Thai Spur Peppers, Habaneros, Cayenne, Chinese Long Cayenne Peppers and Ghost Peppers (Naga Jolokia).

I live in Wyoming in the Rocky Mountains and it is hard to grow peppers here. I can't wait to get to Saraburi in the future. We'll have a couple Rai of land to grow stuff on.