We're nearly through it: PM

Lite Beer

We're nearly through it: PM

The Nation

30168846-01.jpg

Govt will expedite drainage of water once peak tide ends tomorrow, Yingluck says; BMA and Waterworks Authorities tasked with siphoning off flooding from next week

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday urged Bangkok residents to be patient and refrain from destroying water barriers as the worst flood crisis in more than five decades was expected to pass soon.

"Please hang on for a few more days. Save these dykes and we will gradually drain the water away from all the areas," she said.

If the water drainage worked according to plan and all related agencies acted quickly, the water coming to Bangkok would be reduced.

In addition, if Royal initiative embankments were safe and the volume of water in Bangkok was under control, the flood water would start receding from the capital in the coming week, she said.

"It might not be sweet and sound like in a normal situation, but I believe we will be able to restore normalcy in a short time. We have teams who keep facilities working so there will be no interruptions." She advised people to regularly follow the news and official announcements. Earlier yesterday, in her weekly programme, Yingluck said she had stressed quick drainage of water, especially during this high-tide weekend and tomorrow.

From Tuesday until November 5, the Royal Irrigation Department would expedite the drainage of water upstream from Royal initiative embankments, the water in Rangsit and lower Hok Wa canals.

The water would be drained through Gate 6-13 of Rangsit canal while the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority had been tasked with expediting the siphoning off of water, she said.

Water drainage to the west of Bangkok was still a problem, she said. The Royal Irrigation Department had to quickly fix breached dykes along the Chao Phraya River, and speed up the drainage of water to the Tha Chin and Chao Phraya rivers.

Meanwhile, BMA water drainage would be via Thawee Wattana, Asee Charoen and Maha Chai canals.

Yingluck said the flood situation in the Central part of the country, including Nakhon Sawan and Chai Nat, had improved, resulting in more stable flood levels downstream, which was good news.

When asked if any part of Bangkok would be safe from flooding, Flood Relief Operations Centre chief and Justice Minister Pracha Promnok would only say that the capital was in the path of run-off water heading towards the sea. Unless Bangkok could drain water effectively and in time, there would be brimming over from canals. Meanwhile, low-lying areas could also face some flooding.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok = "Inner Bangkok". That's what these people really mean. Hey, gotta "expedite" that drainage in East Bangkok. But West Bangkok--well, who gives a fig--that is still "a problem". But no problem in Inner Bangkok. They can dance in the streets apparently.

^^ That's exactly what she means because a few days ago it was perhaps a month/6 weeks... you have 16 billion cubic metres being drained at 50 million m3 per day. Do the maths, Yingluck, and tell people how it is.

^^ That's exactly what she means because a few days ago it was perhaps a month/6 weeks... you have 16 billion cubic metres being drained at 50 million m3 per day. Do the maths, Yingluck, and tell people how it is.

In a country where even Assistant directors of schools need a calculator to subtract 39 from 100 baht. Are you really sure that they'll understand it?................jap.gif

In a country where even Assistant directors of schools need a calculator to subtract 39 from 100 baht. Are you really sure that they'll understand it?................jap.gif

Maybe I've got my head on crooked but my mental arithmetic works that out to 320 days if those figures are correct............rather more than a month/6 weeks!!

If you are going to be snide, get your numbers right.

It WAS 16 billion cbm, everyday more of that drains. At a total drainage rate of 400million cbm per day.

That is drainage from the whole basin. Tha Chin, Chao Praya, Bang Pakong rivers and various canals.

Last time I saw any numbers about volume left to drain, it was more like 6 to 8 billion cbm.

They said at the start of the Bangkok flood crisis that it would take 30 to 40 days to drain. What date do you take as start?

Who knows? Oct.1st? Oct.15th?

Bangkok = "Inner Bangkok". That's what these people really mean. Hey, gotta "expedite" that drainage in East Bangkok. But West Bangkok--well, who gives a fig--that is still "a problem". But no problem in Inner Bangkok. They can dance in the streets apparently.

Sure this is the start of the second week i have been flooded. I doubt it will be drained fast. YL just wants inner BKK to be safe.

Why should we believe her now. So far she has been wrong at most every turn. She even located the control center in Don Muang and had to move it because it got flooded out.

It just goes to prove you can not successfully manage water control and relief efforts from Dubai.

The Shinawatras are talented at big numbers. Lets say the country has 16 Billion Baht and every day you can cheat 50 Million from it: how long do you need to stay as PM to have everything.

I am sure she or her brother can answer it in 1 second.

The Shinawatras are talented at big numbers. Lets say the country has 16 Billion Baht and every day you can cheat 50 Million from it: how long do you need to stay as PM to have everything.

It's amazing.

The slightest prospect of a little bit of good news generates posts consisting of bile and venom.

Or do I mean vile and benom???

Pathetic.

In a country where even Assistant directors of schools need a calculator to subtract 39 from 100 baht. Are you really sure that they'll understand it?......

Unfortunately, that's the point, exactly.

Their private priorities are light-years from where 1/3 of the country puts/needs them right now.

Here lies the pathetic.

Edited by Mitker

Looking at the current satellite photos shows water area 3 times the size of what is around Bangkok waiting up country to move south to the sea. Hard to imagine that will jzst evaporate before it arrives in the next 2-3 weeks. This way beyond being overly optimistic.

Edited by animatic

It's amazing.

The slightest prospect of a little bit of good news generates posts consisting of bile and venom.

Pathetic.

It would be slightly amusing for the PM's more, shall we say, "vocal" detractors to actually have a chance to call her a "stupid bitch" to her face. Basically despite her monumental f#ckups, broken campaign promises, ulterior motives towards her brother and basic mismanagement of everything she touches IMHO calling her a bitch is beyond the pale.

Edited by mca

Let's say you gonna make 16 Billion stupid posts and you can make 50 Million posts every day, how long will it take. I am sure you can answer in 1 sec.

Looking at the current satellite photos shows water area 3 times the size of what is around Bangkok waiting up country to move south to the sea. Hard to imagine that will jzst evaporate before it arrives in the next 2-3 weeks. This way beyond being overly optimistic.

I am wondering if anyone has access to, or remembers seeing, satellite photos of the central region in a "normal" year, say at the end of October. How much water appears on the satellite photos in years when there is no excessive flooding? I'm thinking perhaps rice fields, for instance, would look much the same as areas inundated by floods in a year like this?

Knowing more about that would allow us to gauge how much of a threat remains beyond the imminent one presented by the masses of water moving south from Pathum Thani at present. Reports in the "Where is it flooding?" thread in this forum suggest that the situation in many parts of Ayutthaya is improving quite fast, which at the very least would suggest that the water moving south from Ayutthaya is not being replaced in equal volume by additional northern run-off.

I have been keeping track of the water's progress at the outskirts (Don Muang) and what they are saying isn't just irresponsible but bordering on being a blatant lie.

The water level has been rising fast in that area and is not being released yet. I have been watching Thai news and they said they are trying to divert it eastward into Minburi but having little success.

So there's a high chance it will inundate the upper half of inner Bangkok at least.

1319946410[/url]' post='4807370']
It's amazing.

Pathetic.

It would be slightly amusing for the PM's more, shall we say, "vocal" detractors to actually have a chance to call her a "stupid bitch" to her face. Basically despite her monumental f#ckups, broken campaign promises, ulterior motives towards her brother and basic mismanagement of everything she touches IMHO calling her a bitch is beyond the pale.

Having read and reread this thread I can't see where anyone but you used the nasty phrase directed to her....Is this just off topic general venting?

1319947315[/url]">1319947315</a>' post='<a href="tel:4807421">4807421</a>']<br>
1319946174[/url]">1319946174</a>' post='<a href="tel:4807347">4807347</a>']<br>Looking at the current satellite photos shows water area 3 times the size of what is around Bangkok waiting up country  to move south to the sea. Hard to imagine that will jzst evaporate before it arrives in the next 2-3 weeks. This way beyond being overly  optimistic.<br>
<br>I am wondering if anyone has access to, or remembers seeing, satellite photos of the central region in a "normal" year, say at the end of October. How much water appears on the satellite photos in years when there is no excessive flooding? I'm thinking perhaps rice fields, for instance, would look much the same as areas inundated by floods in a year like this?<br><br>Knowing more about that would allow us to gauge how much of a threat remains beyond the imminent one presented by the masses of water moving south from Pathum Thani at present. Reports in the "Where is it flooding?" thread in this forum suggest that the situation in many parts of Ayutthaya is improving quite fast, which at the very least would suggest that the water moving south from Ayutthaya is not being replaced in equal volume by additional northern run-off.<br>
Good points, it would be nice to have several years for comparison.In theory, 50 million going past Bangkok and 40 million exiting Bhomibol dam alone.That being a large third of discharge, from 3 dams, were is the rest hiding, if not passing Ayutthaya? Edited by animatic

1319946410[/url]' post='4807370']
It's amazing.

Pathetic.

Having read and reread this thread I can't see where anyone but you used the nasty phrase directed to her....Is this just off topic general venting?

Admittedly it's on another thread but it serves to illustrate the bile and venom as pointed out by phil.

She obviously hasn't been checking the water levels, I don't live far from where that picture was taken in Nonthaburi. My water levels are going up at a rate of 1 inch per day. I now have 38 inches outside my house, but luckily the barrier we have built in the door way (not sand bags) has held back the water so far.

I don't know what the situation will be like once the tides start dropping but I have a feeling that more water will rush in as the water levels drop in places. Anyone have any experience with floods and receding floods, would like to know.

I'm seriously thinking of abandoning ship, nearly 2 weeks of bloody water. Love the beach but this is crazy.

If you are going to be snide, get your numbers right.

It WAS 16 billion cbm, everyday more of that drains. At a total drainage rate of 400million cbm per day.

That is drainage from the whole basin. Tha Chin, Chao Praya, Bang Pakong rivers and various canals.

Last time I saw any numbers about volume left to drain, it was more like 6 to 8 billion cbm.

They said at the start of the Bangkok flood crisis that it would take 30 to 40 days to drain. What date do you take as start?

Who knows? Oct.1st? Oct.15th?

4 days ago, she said 4 weeks from then AKA November 23rd.

BANGKOK, October 26, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's premier on Wednesday warned the confused and nervous citizens of Bangkok that incoming floods could last for four weeks

Edited by Buchholz

She obviously hasn't been checking the water levels, I don't live far from where that picture was taken in Nonthaburi. My water levels are going up at a rate of 1 inch per day. I now have 38 inches outside my house, but luckily the barrier we have built in the door way (not sand bags) has held back the water so far.

I don't know what the situation will be like once the tides start dropping but I have a feeling that more water will rush in as the water levels drop in places. Anyone have any experience with floods and receding floods, would like to know.

They don't know what they are talking about or they are just misleading the public. The worst is not ending it's just beginning. Water levels are still building at Pathum Thani and the bulk of it has not moved south yet. If you read the current flood thread a lot of people are reporting water levels increasing day by day.

The tides prevent the water from being expelled at the ocean basin but even then that only disperses a limited amount each day with more coming from up north.

RT @Ryn_writes: Prodprasop's house in Nonthaburi has been flooded: he didn't know it would be very bad. via @satien_nna/@veen_NT

:blink:

Where has he been sleeping, I live in Nonthaburi and have had 36+ inches of water outside my house for well over a week now.

Maybe he was one of those planning to put 1000's of boats on the river to increase the speed of the river hahahahhaahahah

I think maybe they should line the river with all the people of Bangkok and surrounding areas flooded, give them a boat paddle and tell them to row the water to speed it onward to the sea. I'm sure this would work just as well as the boats and with 100% less pollution. Come on Thailand paddle for your country

You could always inform the employer of the originator of that phrase:

"Such a stupid bitch, she is!"

Pavin Chachavalpongpun is a fellow at Singapore's Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.