Big C Is Getting Empty!

cmjantje

Last friday I visited Big C for my weekly shoppings. I was astonished how many shelfs were empty or complete filled with one brand! Sugar was sold out. I think it is time to pot basic things?

Even here in Donsila sugar is almost finished.

Jantje,

first of all, I'm in Pattaya and not in Chang Rai, so things could be different, but things are normalizing here, there was panic buying and shortages a couple of days, But now you can get everything again. I hope it is the same for the area you are in ....

Good luck en sterkte

Edited by MJCM

Tops is almost empty too - stores can't get deliveries.

Its all shops that have the problem not just the big ones. It has already been reported that there will be a huge demand for food in Thailand , Cambodia , Philippines and Laos mainly due to millions of acres of farmed land being wiped out due to the floods everywhere. Food prices will increase but I doubt it will cause those of you with ample money to ship in your own luxury goods. The next 2 months will show how desperate things are getting . Stock up with rice and anything you can , then at least I can come round for a free meal :D

I think their will be plenty of rice around here, it's the best crop I've seen for years.

Providing they don't sell it all to China of course... :annoyed:

Yep the rice crop near my house looks exceptionally happy this year.

I was in both Big C and Tops Central yesterday. Big C out of a lot of stuff. Tops seemed almost normal and had plenty of everything I was looking for. Maybe different suppliers but at least yesterday Tops came out on Top.

I felt the pain personally when I dropped in to Big C today, nearly out of toothpaste and only one brand of bottled water packs in small bottles left. The shampoo shelf looked a bit sparse as well.

Central was nearly out of imported chips and biscuits.

I felt the pain personally when I dropped in to Big C today, nearly out of toothpaste and only one brand of bottled water packs in small bottles left. The shampoo shelf looked a bit sparse as well.

Central was nearly out of imported chips and biscuits.

There are loads of items missing from the shelves in all of the major chains. I just came back from Central Tops and many items are gone .

That's good to know

7-11 and Tesco Lotus at Den Ha are near on empty of everything worth having. A friend at Dons Cafe today said that Makro are really depleated also. Stock up with what you can get , its gonna be worse than you think in the weeks/ months to come.

Edited by sunholidaysun1

Had to do lots of subsitutions, but most things or some substitutes were available a couple days ago, but yes supplies are limited and you have to look around and shop various markets to get all the items.

Side note:

Got my 7 kilo Guy Muang (Turkey) for Thanksgiving on the 24th, Cranberrie sauce, Bread Giblet Stufing, Giblet Turkey and Chicken Gravy, mashed, kernal corn and cream corn, potato salad, Dinner rolls and butter. All that is needed is a Great Pumpkin Pie with Graham cracker crust.

Of course, some other plentiful Pies :D here in CR will suffice. But nothing beats a good old grahm cracker crust pumpkin or apple-cinimin pie.

Might even get some Egg Snogg :P

Edited by KimoMax

The Beer Report from Phuket newspaper:

Further up the supply chain, the manager of the Corporate Information Center for Boon Rawd Brewery Co, the parent company for Singha Corp, told the Gazette, “We have five factories in Central Thailand, and four of them are flooded. “

“One of those flooded factories is dedicated to producing Singha. That’s the main reason most stores in Thailand are short of Singha beer for sale.

“We actually have factories all over Thailand. Our factory in Chiang Mai produces bottled water. The one in Surat Thani produces bottled water and soda water, and our plant in Khon Kaen produces bottled water and Leo beer,” she added.

“Even though we are running out of Singha beer, we still have Leo beer for sale as our Khon Kaen facility remains unaffected by the floods.

“However, we are unable to produce any more Singha beer until the situation is back to normal,” she said.

A spokesperson for Thai Beverage Co Ltd (ThaiBev) reported a slightly brighter situation.

“Our factories are not affected by the floods. The only thing that is causing shortages of our products in Phuket and other parts of Thailand is the shipment,” she said.

“We still have the same amount of product to send out to all of our distributors, but most of the roads out of Bangkok are flooded. That is what is delaying the whole shipment process,” she added.

The spokesperson said that ThaiBev’s top sellers in Phuket were Chang beer and Chang bottled water.

“We usually dispatch deliveries of beer and water to Phuket at least once a day. Now we have had to cut it down to once every three to four days,” she explained.

“Although we are still able to deliver about 30 per cent of the regular volume of beer and water that we usually dispatch, we still have more than enough for consumers,” she added.

I secured my San Miguel with 24 boxes (cannot live without, YES I am addicted :burp:). The wholesale here in Donsila is, besides some cans of Chang, out of beer.

Toybits, I tried together with my wife to find the location of the shop on Google maps. Cannot (women cannot read maps) So if you want to know you Have to call.

I secured my San Miguel with 24 boxes (cannot live without, YES I am addicted :burp:). The wholesale here in Donsila is, besides some cans of Chang, out of beer.

Toybits, I tried together with my wife to find the location of the shop on Google maps. Cannot (women cannot read maps) So if you want to know you Have to call.

Ahhhh.....San Magoo. Used to be my favorite when I was in Southeastern Asia for many years. The stuff they sold in the PI caused a lot of NSU problems for GI's and contained Formaldehyde. Exported it was not as strong but no NSU.

After my first 10 hour flight to the PI followed by a lengthy taxi trip to Angeles City we decided to go out for a brew even though it was late and we were seriously tired.

In the interests of retaining some basic usage of the mental faculties I told the barman to give me San Mig Light, which means low alcohol in Australia.

After a few, as I slid slowly in the direction of the bar room floor, I noticed the label reported a whopping 5%.

With my dying words I spoke accusingly to the bar man who said... "Light means if you drink too much you don't get heavy". :lol:

After my first 10 hour flight to the PI followed by a lengthy taxi trip to Angeles City we decided to go out for a brew even though it was late and we were seriously tired.

In the interests of retaining some basic usage of the mental faculties I told the barman to give me San Mig Light, which means low alcohol in Australia.

After a few, as I slid slowly in the direction of the bar room floor, I noticed the label reported a whopping 5%.

With my dying words I spoke accusingly to the bar man who said... "Light means if you drink too much you don't get heavy". :lol:

This could be my own story with San Mig Light. Horrible stuff.

SM light means the colour is lighter than the normal. I am glad we don't all drink the same beer, would be very boring. I absolutely cannot understand why people like Heineken. And I am Dutch.

I acquired a taste for San Miguel Light and drank plenty of it under less trying circumstances.

I drank mainly Carlsberg in Thailand before they stopped making it and generally shared your dislike for Heineken. (Unless I was thirsty, the weather was hot and there was nothing else). B)

Edited by sceadugenga

I like Heineken because I used to travel around Asia a lot and as I never like to mix my drinks (even types of beer) I needed to find a beer that was widely available (although not so widely in Philippines).

(For me) the taste is pretty consistent wherever you buy it (in bottles) so you know where you stand with it.

The bars are running out of Keg and bottled beer. Some bars are charging an extra 5 bht per small bottle as they can now only get the big bottles ? Makro has run out of ALL beer other than large bottles of Leo and they are going quick.

Some Gasoline stations are out of fuel also .

Tesco Lotus - Den Ha , many shelves empty, no meat , many items gone across the shop.

Stock up , its going to be weeks before theings get back to normal , even months.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news to the doom and gloom addicts, but Big C CR was fully stocked this morning. Rows and rows of cases of beer, wine, the usual range of spirits, meat aplenty.

I look forward to the next fear-feeding-frenzy from the denizens of Soi Falang ;-)