What Type Of Mackerel Is The Mackerel In Thailand

james24

there is a fish the Thais call Pla Too, caught (wild) i believe in the gulf of Thailand. It is usually sold as a small whole fish 2 in a box, certain times of the year you can see it sold all over the place esp on rama 2 on the way to Hua Hin . very similar to mackeral taste wise (IMHO obviously!)

Edited by wordchild

Wordchild's right about the name in Thai.

Per wiki, there are three types:

1) Short-bodied mackerel (Rastrelliger brachysoma) from the Gulf of Thailand, particularly Sumut Songkram province, and the Andaman (Burma) Sea of the Indian Ocean.

2) Island mackerel (Rastrelliger faughni)

3) Indian mackerel (Rastrelliger kanagurta)

To the untrained eye, they're all just Pla Too. I can't really tell them apart.

There are two larger varieties also - wahoo and Spanish mackerel. I've noticed locals not distinguishing between king and Spanish though - they think they are the same. They fight well and are tasty. Not hard to find in the Andaman

also from wikipedia -

The wahoo may be distinguished from the related Atlantic king mackerel and from the Indo-Pacific Narrow-barred Spanish mackerel by a fold of skin which covers the mandible when its mouth is closed. In contrast, the mandible of the king mackerel is always visible as is also the case for the smaller Spanish mackerel and Cero mackerel. The teeth of the wahoo are similar to those of king mackerel, but shorter and more closely set together

What about the Scottish Mackerel, The Norwegian Mackerel and the Irish Mackerel ,,,,, another species that I havent seen around these waters are kippers,,,,

,:D

just Kidding,, I think these mackerel we caught off our shores back in UK were atlantic mackerel,, by the way the peppered mackerel we had in UK were excellent tasting fish