Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo

george

CHIANG MAI SAFARI: Rare animals on the menu at zoo

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of “wild” cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai’s Night Safari opens next year, project director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park’s Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an “Exotic Buffet” of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

The park, which had a soft opening yesterday, officially opens on New Year’s Day.

The animal-buffet idea has drawn strong protests from wildlife groups, which have expressed concern that the menu of endangered and protected animals will confuse the public and foreign visitors about the real objective of the zoo, as well as Thailand’s stance on wildlife conservation.

According to Plodprasop, animals for the buffet would be imported daily and legally to the zoo.

Ironically, the prime minister said the park would aim to increase public awareness of natural science and wildlife.

“The zoo will be outstanding, with several restaurants offering visitors the chance to experience exotic foods such as imported horse, kangaroo, giraffe, snake, elephant, tiger and lion meat.

“We will also provide domestic crocodile and dog meat from Sakon Nakhon province,” Plodprasop said at a press tour before Thaksin presided over the soft opening.

Plodprasop said food provided at the buffet restaurant would be fresh daily and cooked by five foreign chefs.

Wildlife Fund Thailand secretary Surapol Duangkae said yesterday that although consuming wildlife didn’t violate Cites [Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species], it could fly in the face of moral issues and worsen the country’s image on wildlife-trade issues.

“The idea will set the country’s image back a century, because nowadays zoos around the world aim to educate and conserve wildlife, as well as campaigning to stop the killing of animals,” he said.

He said the action of the government would appear to the world as if Thailand approved of the endangered-wildlife trade and consumption.

There have already been cases of 100 tigers exported to China, elephants planned to be transferred to Australia and the illegal import of orang-utans.

Surapol said the country has also been accused of trafficking endangered species, and being a trading centre and hunting ground for endangered species.

“The government’s action seems to confirm these accusations,” Surapol said.

Petch Manopavitr, a Wildlife Conservation Society activist said this was a sensitive issue as the prime minister had previously declared that the country wanted to suppress wildlife trade in the region.

“I see it as a bad idea to market the zoo. In fact, it was wrong from the start with the idea of importing wild animals from Kenya,” Petch said.

Petch was also concerned about illnesses from eating wild animals.

“The zoo should be a place for study and conservation, not killing. Promoting the eating of wild animals will confuse adults and children about what’s right and what’s wrong,” he said.

However, the prime minister seemed unconvinced by Plodprasop’s idea as he said that only part of a crocodile’s body could be eaten and it therefore wouldn’t be worth killing.

--The Nation 2005-11-17

Tune in to Radio Bangkok and listen to the full story at 3pm & 9pm:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51025

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Safari plans to serve up exotic fare

Wild animal meats set for restaurant's menu

CHIANG MAI: -- Looking for a taste of life on the wild side? If so, it seems Chiang Mai Night Safari Park may be able to whet your appetite with its plans to serve up a range of exotic fare in one of the park's five restaurants.

Plodprasop Suraswadi, chairman of the government committee in charge of the Night Safari project, said visitors to the park would have an opportunity to try several kinds of wild animal meats.

He said one of the park's restaurants would offer exotic dishes ranging from imported zebra meat from Africa, Thai crocodile meat, snake and mongoose blood, as well as dog meat from Sakon Nakhon province and various kinds of insects.

An exotic set meal, cooked by professional foreign chefs, would cost around 4,500 baht. Mr Plodprasop said the menu would be changed often to offer greater variety.

Meanwhile, another restaurant within the park will operate under the concept of "Made in Chiang Mai". All food and drinks served in the restaurant would use raw materials and ingredients made in Chiang Mai.

A restaurant has been designed specifically for tour groups, while another "regular" restaurant would offer up standard dishes at reasonable prices.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday finally presided over the opening ceremony of the Night Safari Park after an eight-month delay. The park will not officially be open to members of the public until New Year's Day.

Northern-style floating lanterns greeted Mr Thaksin on his visit to the zoo. However, the messages they carried were far from positive, protesting his development projects in the province.

A civic group called Hug Muang Chiang Mai distributed leaflets to people, urging them to have a hand in developing the province.

Located on 819 rai in the Doi Suthep-Pui National Park in Muang district's tambon Suthep and Hang Dong district's tambon Nong Khwai, the night safari is made up of three zones - the Jaguar Trail, the Savannah Safari and the Predator Prowl - as well as offering elephant rides, a musical fountain and jumping water jet shows.

The zoo now has 726 animals, made up of 103 species, mostly purchased or exchanged domestically through the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. The park recently secured a deal with Kenya for 135 wild animals amid protests from animal rights activists.

Mr Plodprasop said private firms had already donated 12 million baht for a newly-established fund, set up by the private sector, to finance taking care of the animals in the future. It is expected to grow to 50 million baht.

During his visit, Mr Thaksin also met local businessmen. He discussed future development plans for the province, and invited Bangkok-based ambassadors to provide their ideas for modernisation.

--Bangkok Post 2005-11-17

CHIANG MAI SAFARI: Rare animals on the menu at zoo

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of “wild” cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai’s Night Safari opens next year, project director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park’s Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an “Exotic Buffet” of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

The zoo will be outstanding, with several restaurants offering visitors the chance to experience exotic foods such as imported horse, kangaroo, giraffe, snake, elephant, tiger and lion meat.

We will also provide domestic crocodile and dog meat from Sakon Nakhon province,” Plodprasop said at a press tour before Thaksin presided over the soft opening.

Speechless :o

you just have to wonder where peoples heads are at when

decisions like this are announced. some marketing study

reveal some latent demand for "african buffets" that we

were not aware of? market segmentation with the night

safari zoo in singapore? mind boggling indeed.

amazing thailand....

According to the BKK Post,

"one of the park's restaurants would offer exotic dishes ranging from imported zebra meat from Africa, Thai crocodile meat, snake and mongoose blood, as well as dog meat from Sakon Nakhon province and various kinds of insects." Admittedly in bad (and certainly not everyone's) taste, but a far cry from serving up tigers, lions, giraffes and elephants.

Amazingly stupid .........they should be offering boiled government officials on the menu instead of endangered animals!!

====================================================

:D FINALLY: someone's come-up with a SENSIBLE idea !

. . . . they should be offering boiled government officials on the menu instead of endangered animals!!

Jaudeeguy: I couldn't agree more ! ! ! !

PS-1: Mind you, their politics are totally unpalatable; what makes you think their 'final' culinairy qualities would end-up like ? ? ? ? ? ?

PS-2: Then again; it may be tough eaten', but at least THEY wouldn't be able to do any further damage to this magnificent Kingdom ! ! right ?! :o

This may very well be a bad move in conservation terms but some people who replied to this post should look at their own dietary issues, as there is little difference in meat from a cow ,a horse ,a dog or an elephant and the best way to keep animals is to use them for a purpose other than just for looking at, that way there is an economic reason to keep them and business will find a way to make them flourish. How many cows or sheep would there be if we didn't eat them.I personally don't eat much meat (personal taste not political outlook)but see the necessity of animals for food and one animal is much like another

Is it time for a Tourist boycot ?? It will be, afterall, the nr.1 Tourist attraction in the North. It's really one of the most stupid ideas recently launched by this government.

You're wrong Aart; the new policy will be very simple: IF you don't eat dog-meat, then the entire province you're a resident of, will come last in line for any Government help; unless you are a TRT-member, then you're allowed NOT to eat Dogmeat and STILL receive the financial support you so desperately require . . .

Or you could be your own man (as far as they are concerned) and keep lapping-up the Dog-Sh-t they keep serving-up . . . . . . . :o

What a ridiculous state-of affairs ! !

Greets,

Jaap

T.I.T, lots of inititatives and little forethought, planning, or follow-though.

I do agree that horse vs crocodile vs cow meat is a push. But there are so few tigers left on the planet, that even a small move in the wrong direction :o will send them to extinction. This has to be one of the most stupid PR moves, though, from LOS I've seen in recent times ...

- FR

I guess the next step will be :

"To preserve the endangered ethnies, and for only 9900b per head, eat true African pygmy, original Australian aborigines, and real amazonian forest local baby, from daily fresh supply"

And the head genius will wonder why everyone throw up when hear about the menu... :o

I agree with much of the above that this is an incredibly stupid idea. Serving up exotic animals at the zoo! This would have enough bad press if it was an establishment not related to the zoo at all. Further proof I'll never understand Thailand...

On the flipside (may the flames begin)...

I'm always up for trying something new and this would be quite an opportunity in this regard. I don't think crocodile is that exotic...I've eaten crocodile meat in the US before. I've eaten all of the stranger stuff I've been able to find in thailand. I've never eaten the laab from the north that they make from the (pre)sh!t in the animals' intestines. I've never eaten dog, but I would give it a try if I had the chance. I certainly wouldn't make it a regular habit, but I would like to see what it's like. As for the lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, etc..... I'd try them once and that would be enough.

What a F*%&$#% stupid idea. Serving up tiger, dog, elephant, etc. meat in a zoo. Especially so when the local delicacies of Thailand are what most tourists enjoy. This country has so much to offer in terms of food. Why and how could anyone think that serving these 'exotic' meats is acceptible, is totally incomprehensible to me. This is just disgusting..

I guess the next step will be :

"To preserve the endangered ethnies, and for only 9900b per head, eat true African pygmy, original Australian aborigines, and real amazonian forest local baby, from daily fresh supply"

And the head genius will wonder why everyone throw up when hear about the menu...  :o

Local species caught in the wild like AKA or KAREN now on promotion for only 5000b. Please don't swallow Large golden Rings , they might be bad for your health :D:D

It is true that most of these high-level government officials are ethnic Chinese for whom a great night out might be to eat sharfin soup at 3,000 baht a crack. More power to the body! More face for the price!

Incredibly stupid idea...and in fact that's all it is...another misguided "idea" from the Ministry of Announcements. This kite won't fly.

But what mind would think it's a good proposal? That's the scary part...and these guys are in power?

Whooaaa....

This may very well be a bad move in conservation terms but some people who replied to this post should look at their own dietary issues, as there is little difference in meat from a cow ,a horse ,a dog or an elephant and the best way to keep animals is to use them for a purpose other than just for looking at, that way there is an economic reason to keep them and business will find a way to make them flourish. How many cows or sheep would there be if we didn't eat them.I personally don't eat much meat (personal taste not political outlook)but see the necessity of animals for food and one animal is much like another

Sorry mate, Can't agree, sirlion steak is sirlion steak. Or when in Thailand Sir Take.

I dont think there is a problem here at all, its just another TiT scam. Can you realy see the local entrepreneur importing all this meat when he can cook whatever is at hand (many mangy dogs etc) cover it in grease and sauces and call it what he likes. Huge profit and fewer stray dogs in Chiang Mai. Cunning business men these Chinese.

Just received confirmation that the governments Kitchen of the World Project will ask Thai restaurants world wide to list dog-meat on their menu from the end of March next year. This to promote tourism to Thailand and the Chiang Mai Night Safari. Participant restaurants will receive shipment of original Thai dog meat (certified) not later then 01/04/06.

I agree with much of the above that this is an incredibly stupid idea.  Serving up exotic animals at the zoo! This would have enough bad press if it was an establishment not related to the zoo at all.  Further proof I'll never understand Thailand...

On the flipside (may the flames begin)...

I'm always up for trying something new and this would be quite an opportunity in this regard.  I don't think crocodile is that exotic...I've eaten crocodile meat in the US before. I've eaten all of the stranger stuff I've been able to find in thailand.  I've never eaten the laab from the north that they make from the (pre)sh!t in the animals' intestines.  I've never eaten dog, but I would give it a try if I had the chance.  I certainly wouldn't make it a regular habit, but I would like to see what it's like.  As for the lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, etc..... I'd try them once and that would be enough.

:o If we all decided to try the flesh from these exotic animals only once extinction would be the name of the game :D