Working In Phuket As Private Tutor

zyva

Hi, I am a Singaporean who wants to relocate to Phuket. I am very concerned because I do not know if I can find a job or do something on my own to sustain my life there. In Singapore, I'm working as an IT consultant and a private tutor for GCE O Level subjects. I am wondering if it is realistic for me to do private tuition for IT or GCE O Level related subjects, especially since I do not speak Thai. At the same time, what is the legal requirement for private tutors who are from another country?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!

Zy

Advise was given to you in another forum by me (under a different posting name) advising you that you would need a work permit to stay within the law, another person reminded you that financially you would be worse off , and by your own admittance elsewhere you are not a teacher by profession. Beware dreams can turn to nightmares quickly here.

If you plan to live on Phuket and work, then legally you would need a work permit. If you can continue IT consultancy completely online, then it would be prudent to enlist the services of a Thai lawyer to explain the legal ramifications of doing so. People obviously do work as private tutors on Phuket, this obviously isn't above board and can't be condoned on this forum. They would most likely be teachers supplementing their income. Phuket is a beautiful place to live, lovely weather quite unlike the humidity of Bangkok, but the pickings from teaching are no more yet the cost of living is considerably higher.