Aussies Deported Over False Phuket Robbery Claim

webfact

"in order to get the correct documents to claim" must of known a bit and most likley bunged it on before, THE insurance company will be onto it as they don`t miss much these days, plus they don`t pay out all legit claims anyway

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to bet that more than 600 baht ... or something worth much more than 600 baht ... changed hands in order for these folks avoid something worse than deportation ?

Sure - to be kept of the blacklist in such circumstances, a good tip needs to be paid to the immigration police who handled the deportation.

Unfortunately if they have aussie passports they are aussies,

what a shame that is, when they land in australia no one can take their passports off them

so they cannot travel again and give the rest of us aussies a bad name overseas.

Abdul Karim El Rajab, Zeidan Nouha

very Australian names

LOL

They were pretty stupid to claim their passports had been stolen as well, unless that was a ploy to stay in Thailand longer than 30 days to enjoy the insurance scam

deport [dɪˈpɔːt]vb (tr)1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to remove (an alien) forcibly from a country; expel2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to carry (an inhabitant) forcibly away from his homeland; transport; exile; banish

Lebanese Aussies are just as much Aussies as the convicts who were deported there between 1788 and 1868

very Australian names

The convicts were transported to Australia and other places, not deported.

This pair have committed no crime (in this instance anyway) in Australia, so there is likely very little the Australian police can do. However I can almost guarantee they are now registered on insurance databases and will be watched very carefully in case of future claims or applications for insurance. They might even have any previous claims looked at again in light of their activities in Thailand.

Cheers

Firstly, I am appalled at the rampant racism in this blog. Just because someone is not white & blond with an anglo-sounding name doesn't mean they are not Australian citizens. Wake up folks, its not 1950 and the world is not segregated anymore.

Anyway, re-read the details of this case -- it doesn't make sense. It seems quite clear that these people were victims, possibly of someone working at their hotel. When someone in the police called the hotel to arrange an inspection, the thief then quickly returned the stolen items. If this couple was doing this for insurance reasons, why would they report their passports stolen? They wouldn't get any money back for those. And if they were attempting fraud, why make up a report of just wallets & iphones? Why not claim jewelry, watches, laptops, as well? And surely they would know that their room would be searched.

Edited by Chua

good point!

Firstly, I am appalled at the rampant racism in this blog. Just because someone is not white & blond with an anglo-sounding name doesn't mean they are not Australian citizens. Wake up folks, its not 1950 and the world is not segregated anymore.

Anyway, re-read the details of this case -- it doesn't make sense. It seems quite clear that these people were victims, possibly of someone working at their hotel. When someone in the police called the hotel to arrange an inspection, the thief then quickly returned the stolen items. If this couple was doing this for insurance reasons, why would they report their passports stolen? They wouldn't get any money back for those. And if they were attempting fraud, why make up a report of just wallets & iphones? Why not claim jewelry, watches, laptops, as well? And surely they would know that their room would be searched.

Lebanese Aussies are just as much Aussies as the convicts who were deported there between 1788 and 1868

very Australian names

There's a similarity between America and Australia. The only difference is that the first 'white' Americans weren't prisoners....jap.gif

Ahhh … come’on sirchai … the first ‘white’ Australians were amongst the best in the world … because the best ‘Judges’ chose them in the first place!

It is our nature as Aussies to be not so serious about some things.

If the actions of this couple were proud and noble … we would claim them as our own.

But if they acted dumb-assed (as clearly this couple did) we would disown them.

Same as we (the Aussies) claim (or dis-claim as the case may be) Mel Gibson (maybe not the best example), Nicole Kidman (apologies to the Yanks), the Bee Gees (England), Crowded House/Dragon/Russell Crowe/Sam Neil (come on New Zealand … you are missing your opportunity here for some Aussie bashing here).

Even our current Prime Minister was born overseas in Wales and the opposition leader was not born on our shores (we are an island nation being 'girt by sea')

But we do hold true to our heart is a sense of ‘fair play’ and ‘natural justice’ and we do dislike others besmirching our reputation ... we do a good enough job of that ourselves!

Maybe what some writers here are trying to describe is that it takes maybe a generation or two for recently immigrated folk to develop an ‘Australian Identity’ and adopt our value set.

Actually we all came originally from a ‘different place’.

The aboriginals 40,000 years ago came from Asia.

A lot of the Thai blood-line came from the Chinese.

The Poms English came from Normandy (Norman Invasion, Battle of Hastings, 1066 and all that)

So we all come from somewhere.

Just that this couple acted so half-assed we say … they’re not ‘true Australians’ … Ahhh, wot the F*** pass me another beer wood ya’

Yet Australia is made of immigrants (not counting the aboriginal people) and we pride ourselves for being friendly and open minded.

Immigrants legally coming here have to show they are able to financially support themselves and willing to work and to give contribute to the community and to be proud to be Australians.

As I said above, these two guys are the shame of Australia (unfortunately they aren't alone), it's no matter where and how they came from, the important thing is that they are Australian.

I would really like to see their shameless faces when they come back home and hug their relatives!

very Australian names

There's a similarity between America and Australia. The only difference is that the first 'white' Americans weren't prisoners....jap.gif

Yes, they were lucky to board the ship before they were cought by the authorities.

Surly chua you can not be serious with your comments.

Victims’ … pleaaaase!

Why not claim jewelry, watches, laptops, as well?

Why … because in the original Thai Visa article see they were …

In their original report of the incident, filed with police at 11:30pm on Sunday, the couple claimed they were driving a motorbike near The Kee Resort when a man on another motorbike snatched Ms Nouha’s shoulder bag and rode off.

So maybe unlikely that they would have their “jewelry, watches, laptops” in the ladies handbag.

surely they would know that their room would be searched.” .. obviously not!

"Surely the Australian insurance company can take them to court in Australia."

Only if they actually sign a claim form, oherwise all the company can do is to black list them and prevent them from getting any future insurance.

deport [dɪˈpɔːt]vb (tr)1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to remove (an alien) forcibly from a country; expel2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to carry (an inhabitant) forcibly away from his homeland; transport; exile; banish

The convicts were transported to Australia and other places, not deported.

This pair have committed no crime (in this instance anyway) in Australia, so there is likely very little the Australian police can do. However I can almost guarantee they are now registered on insurance databases and will be watched very carefully in case of future claims or applications for insurance. They might even have any previous claims looked at again in light of their activities in Thailand.

Cheers

The sentence handed down to the convicts who ended up in Australia and other destinations from the UK was "Transportation". If evidence on that is required google "Transportation to Australia" and the UK Archives (as the originating jurisdiction) has some very good reading and references on the subject. Nothing on deportation to Australia though.

I do wonder if the BIB retained the evidence in this case, I Phones etc :whistling:

Cheers

So you think it was a wild assumption that they attempted to defraud the insurance company.....when they have gone on record stating that this was why they filed the false robbery claim?

Check the small print on your travel insurance.

If you are unable to make the distinction between an intention, and an attempt, I am unable to help you further. ;)

ps I never use travel insurance - waste of money.

Mr Jack

I think it is a waste of time trying to explain this to Mr Red he just simply doesn't understand that you can't be legally guilty of thinking about doing something. I am a little concerned that a Global Moderator (LivinginKata) has trouble grasping it.

Mr Jack

I think it is a waste of time trying to explain this to Mr Red he just simply doesn't understand that you can't be legally guilty of thinking about doing something. I am a little concerned that a Global Moderator (LivinginKata) has trouble grasping it.

And I never implied that. I was just backing up another member's post, pointing members to the original news story where the police stated that the couple had confessed to planning to file an insurance claim ...... read the story.