Thaiflood Leader Has No Regrets About Dumping Froc

Lite Beer

ThaiFlood leader has no regrets about dumping FROC

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

30169320-01.JPG

Volunteer leader Poramate Minsiri apologised profusely for being late for the interview, but was insistent that he had absolutely no regrets for abandoning the flood-relief operations in Don Mueang Airport two weeks ago.

"It was the right decision. In the end, even the Flood Relief Operations Centre [FROC] couldn't stay at Don Mueang," he said, adding that the agency might have to abandon its new headquarters at the Energy Complex soon due to rising water levels.

However, it wasn't the flooding of the airport that made Poramate decide to leave. He and his fellow volunteers chose to quit because they were disappointed with the way FROC was being run, and their complaints were widely reported by the media.

Their key complaints were that the operations weren't being led by the right man, the red-shirt MPs were given preferential treatment in terms of the allocation of relief goods, tweets from @thaiflood were being censored and no volunteers were made part of any FROC committees. Also, before leaving Don Mueang Airport two weeks ago, he warned that the government's ineptitude was making things worse.

"This disaster is far too large for the government to handle alone," Poramate insisted. "The committees should involve all sectors, not just the government."

Also, neighbourly relations between Poramate, leader of volunteers under the Red Sunday Group, and Sombat Boon-ngam-anong, president of the Mirror Foundation, seem to have cooled off after the former walked out on FROC.

"We're not of the same [political] colour," Poramate confessed, though he insisted that things between him and Sombat were still amicable. "But things could have been better."

Poramate, who is regarded as a feel-good, multi-colour royalist by his critics, surprised me when he said he was not a yellow, multi-colour or white shirt, adding that he disapproved of the multi-coloured shirts' confrontational tactics and that he quite liked the red shirts' political philosophy.

"Deep down I think I like the red-shirt ideas better, but I didn't join the movement because some politicians are using the idea as a front to mobilise people."

Besides running the Open Care Foundation and the @thaiflood Twitter site, which has attracted more than 97,000 followers, far more than any of the government tweeting sites, Poramate also operates a number of volunteer training centres including one in Bangkok's Phaholyothin Road and one in Chon Buri. At the centres, volunteers are taught to make EM balls that can be used to prevent water from getting polluted, as well as rafts and life-vests from plastic drinking water bottles. The centres also produce flood alarms that go off when the water begins to rise.

"I think ordering people [to evacuate] at 11pm is cruel," he said, referring to the time some warnings had been issued by FROC and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

Even though his group has attracted plenty of volunteers and donations - amounting to about Bt3 million with Bt900,000 left in a bank account that can be transparently monitored on the Internet - Poramate admits that in order to win this battle all volunteer groups and government agencies must cooperate to avoid redundancy and duplication.

Asked if he would throw his hands up in defeat in the coming weeks, Poramate was quick to promise that nothing like this would happen.

While saying that he needed more volunteers, he also very diplomatically decided not to criticise those who choose not to volunteer or donate. "It's their right," he said, adding that volunteer work does not result in tangible results.

So why become a volunteer?

"The economy is badly hit and we should get up and do something about it. We won't know how much we can do unless we do it."

A Bangkok native from an "ordinary background", the 42-year-old studied industrial engineering at Chulalongkorn University and credits his parents for providing him with the best education they could afford.

With the interview nearing an end, I asked Poramate if he had any advice for the public or thoughts about Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

"All I want is to tell people not to argue," he said, adding that all the mistakes being committed by politicians and officials are being documented. "We should use this time to help people, and even if I am critical, it is not out of hatred but out of a desire to see change.

"As for the prime minister, she can't be blamed. I don't think she wanted this [flood disaster] to happen," he said. "Don't expect too much but try to help [her] instead. As for the Bangkok governor, I think we will have to choose someone who has better abilities in the next elections."

Donations can be made to the Open Care Foundation, Siam Commercial Bank savings account number 402-177-853-3. Details of all donations received and used can be viewed online at www.opencare.org. The group can also be contacted at the ground floor of the Asset Management Corporation, Phaholyothin Soi 3.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-06

"As for the prime minister, she can't be blamed. I don't think she wanted this [flood disaster] to happen," he said. "Don't expect too much but try to help [her] instead. As for the Bangkok governor, I think we will have to choose someone who has better abilities in the next elections."

"Their key complaints were that the operations weren't being led by the right man, the red-shirt MPs were given preferential treatment in terms of the allocation of relief goods, tweets from @thaiflood were being censored and no volunteers were made part of any FROC committees. Also, before leaving Don Mueang Airport two weeks ago, he warned that the government's ineptitude was making things worse."<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

So early for my brain to explode. How do you get from FROC can suck it, to its the Governors fault?huh.gif

&lt;deleted&gt;? I think BKK governor was/is doing good job protecting the city from the flood, can't say that about the PM and her gov't.

Ditto !

He asks for things to address specific problems, even gets the paperwork sent in. Do they get the paperwork? No! It sits on one of their desks for a week till they do a search for it.

Do they follow up on public knowledge that the BMA Gov. wants pumps at certain places, NO! They get bent out of shape because they think he made them lose face, when it was their own paper pushes who caused the bottle neck.

FROC is the bottle neck pure and simple. In the best control freak mode of Liege Lord Thaksin himself. "It doesn't matter if Kuhn Somkid quits the cabinet, I am the only one doing any work here anyway." *

* Caretaker PM Thaksin as the rats departed his last sinking / stinking cabinet.

FROC Faceless Rambling Organizational Cock-up

dealing with ineffective T.W.A.T. technocrats at The Water Authority of Thailand

Edited by animatic

I really don't care what shirts the politicians wear, although I must admit Yingluck is easier to look at than her predecessors. However, what the Bangkok Governor has done is obvious to anyone who has ever had to work in a bureaucratic organisation.1. He asks for an impossible quantity of something (the pumps in this case), giving a time frame that he knows cannot be met.2. He submits a written request by the most indirect route possible, knowing that it will take ages to reach the intended recipient.3. He makes no attempt to follow up with a verbal or electronic communication to verify that his request has been received.4. Instead he waits and then makes a public fuss about non-cooperation and claims to be the victim.This is the oldest arse-covering and blame-shifting trick in the book.Now that he has been told that there are insufficient pumps and that the rest are on order from the suppliers, rather than sitting down with the RID and working out how many pumps can actually be brought into service in the meantime, he stamps his feet and keeps insisting on something that has already been declared as impossible.

I really don't care what shirts the politicians wear, although I must admit Yingluck is easier to look at than her predecessors. However, what the Bangkok Governor has done is obvious to anyone who has ever had to work in a bureaucratic organisation.1. He asks for an impossible quantity of something (the pumps in this case), giving a time frame that he knows cannot be met.2. He submits a written request by the most indirect route possible, knowing that it will take ages to reach the intended recipient.3. He makes no attempt to follow up with a verbal or electronic communication to verify that his request has been received.4. Instead he waits and then makes a public fuss about non-cooperation and claims to be the victim.This is the oldest arse-covering and blame-shifting trick in the book.Now that he has been told that there are insufficient pumps and that the rest are on order from the suppliers, rather than sitting down with the RID and working out how many pumps can actually be brought into service in the meantime, he stamps his feet and keeps insisting on something that has already been declared as impossible.

Nice to read a comment from someone who knows how the system worksbiggrin.gif

He is a pure devil then, isnt he?

PS: dont say "IT IS IMPOSSIBLE". It will stay impossible right to the moment you start your arse moving on the way to DO something.

For example, the pumps: I see many, MANY mobile diesel pumps around BKK, waiting on most big canals and NOT STARTED yet. Why not just relocate'em to the place where they are most wanted NOW? Those are mobile, just get a car and drag it to the new place, that's it. How many these pumps now in Bkk, astaying on alert - but doing completely NOTHING for 2nd week of the disaster within Bkk area?

1276847742654_hz-myalibaba-web16_1853.jpg

The reason that many pumps are stationed in areas where there isn't an obvious need for them is that they are on standby. Consider thaat if they were moved away, under the current transportation logisitical nightmare, by the time they could be brought back it would be too late. A pump that can respond immediately is of more value than scurrying to find available pumps when they are needed. keep in mind, that once deployed, people would protest their removal. Imagine the public reaction if pumps were taken from a flooded area. Human nature being what it is, some pumps are going to be unused for a bit longer.

The reason that many pumps are stationed in areas where there isn't an obvious need for them is that they are on standby. Consider thaat if they were moved away, under the current transportation logisitical nightmare, by the time they could be brought back it would be too late. A pump that can respond immediately is of more value than scurrying to find available pumps when they are needed. keep in mind, that once deployed, people would protest their removal. Imagine the public reaction if pumps were taken from a flooded area. Human nature being what it is, some pumps are going to be unused for a bit longer.

You don't need drag out ALL the pumps. Those up north need...emm...how many? 60 pumps? Well, whole Bangkok+suburbs can't afford relocating just 60 pumps to the place?

This includes the already affected places, where ALL the pumps are simply useless and mostly NOT working at the moment.

They have army cars to relocate pumps. They have trucks. They even have helicopters.......don't say to me "it is IMPOSSIBLE" - you better say "Noone care".

Look at Japan 6months ago. ALL the nation stand together to fight the problem, and they somehow kept that under control.

And now look at Thailand: some areas now under water (include mine), and the very near areas keep the daily life as normal. They simply NOT CARE, until water start licking their own doors...

I can say - I'm travelling from flooded Pathumthani to [yet] bone dry Thonburi DAILY and see the diference "in action".

If not enough pumps, all pumps should at least be in action 24/7. It´s a crime against BKK just to let them stand by in Pheua Thai voting areas, that not need them at the moment!

If not enough pumps, all pumps should at least be in action 24/7. It´s a crime against BKK just to let them stand by in Pheua Thai voting areas, that not need them at the moment!

Exactly.

Use the pumps where they are needed today, not waiting in case they are needed further down stream as the front moves south. That will be quite obvious; they will get moved WITH the need, not at some barely understood hypothetical future need. Really a little common sense is called for... oh wait, where am I now. Oxymoron,TIT.

Atleast this interview should dispel all false claims by Red Shirt apologists that the reason ThaiFlood walked out from FROC was because ThaiFlood supposedly were anti-government/yellow-aligned.

Their leader clearly is the opposite - one propaganda-spin dispelled.

Priceless.

jb1

Imagine the public reaction if pumps were taken from a flooded area. Human nature being what it is, some pumps are going to be unused for a bit longer.

Priceless.

jb1

There is NO public left on the affected areas. Just a few guards per moobaan, and a few visitors to their flooded houses. That's all.

NO "public" since there are no electricity, no tap water, no food nor ANY f...ing attention from this current govt.

Nothing is left to live on - just a bad water.

Borrowing some pumps won't even be noticeable. Believe me - it is my 3rd week of being soaked.Everyone there at their own, and noone cares for the pumps (private or public ones).

Edited by alexakap

Nonsense!

The Pumps were placed on "Standby" in the wrong place originally,and could be working somewhere else,instead of waiting for the "Taiwan Pump Order"

One inflammatory post and a reply has been removed. You are welcome to disagree with a poster, but let's not get personal.

Added: Make that two inflammatory posts.

Edited by Scott
added

Nonsense!

The Pumps were placed on "Standby" in the wrong place originally,and could be working somewhere else,instead of waiting for the "Taiwan Pump Order"

Actually, that would be Seoul, Brother, South Korea.

Nonsense!

Correct.

For example, what is the purpose of KEEPING a few large pumps in standby at the lower Thonbiri (close to the sea)? Those just standing by, and doing NOTHING at all. And the wild waters still far away.

Right now, right here. I've seen unused pumps for at least 2 weeks.......!!!

Why just not USE them at the most wanted spots, instead of crying out loud that there are NO pumps at all????

Don't ask me - ask those in charge. TiT.

Edited by alexakap

Nice to read a comment from someone who knows how the system worksbiggrin.gif

+1

Like his last quote-dont expect much from the pm but vote out the govenor because he is not qualified to handle his duties. Lol

You nailed it again.

So much for his "multicolored" ism.

From my perspective, he should have said exactly the opposite, particularly when FROC is the PM's lackey and she certainly micromanaged the composition of the unit.

Maybe I've missed something but I am not aware of the governor making any blatant or substantial errors.

Certainly he is no saint, but last thing to come to my mind when I think of him is vote him out.

I predict that is very unlikely to happen.

One inflammatory post and a reply has been removed. You are welcome to disagree with a poster, but let's not get personal.

Really, you people are going too far. You allow congenial liars to post. but if someone honest calls them a liar they are censored, and I presume, when you read this, banned. I mean it's just too much!

Edited by lannarebirth

Really, you people are going too far. You allow congenial liars to post. but if someone honest calls them a liar they are censored, and I presume, when you read this, banned. I mean it's just too much!

+100500