Flood Advancing In On City:

Lite Beer

Flood advancing in on city; subway, bus terminal, famed market still operational

image_20111106134121779C23B8-0B1C-B5B6-9AE0BB52901CD67D.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 6 – Flooding from Ha Yak Lat Phrao intersection has slowly advanced in on the city while in its nearby areas, subway stations, the largest weekend market, and inter-provincial bus terminal are still open.

The run-off from the north creeps into the city, and this mass of water is predicted to possibly later reach the Victory Monument, which is a major transit point of the capital.

On Sunday, floodwater from Ha Yak Lat Phrao intersection was reported to arrive at Kamphaengphet junction in front of the Department of Land Transport on Phaholyothin Road.

Meanwhile, the subway stations, the Mo Chit 2 bus terminal and the famed Chatuchak Weekend Market in this affected area are still operating normally.

Ronnachit Yaemsaard, acting gorvernor of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA), said all 18 MRT stations provides services as usual but two stations - Ratchadapisek and Phaholyothin - are under close watch as floodwater near the stations keep rising by between one and two centimetres and have overflowed the first step of the MRT station entrance.

The subway commuters have reached 100,000 persons daily despite flooding, he said.

As flooding has expanding to the Chatuchak market, Thailand's largest weekend market covering areas of 70 rai, located not far from submerged Ha Yak Lat Phrao interesction, the market remained open on Sunday.

Chatuchak Market assistant-director Tinnakorn Rujinarong said although water has risen from drains in the market, opposite the Land Transport Department headquarters on Phaholyothin Road, the market was open today as water has been drained out of the market.

Mr Tinnakorn said the market however will assess the situation on a daily basis and, as of now, floodwater outside the market is as high as 50 centimetres but the visitors can enter the compound via Gate 1, 2 and 3.

Located nearby, the Month Chit 2 inter-provincial bus terminal to destinations in the North and the Northeast is operational as it is still dry despite some surrounding areas being flooded.

The Transport Company President Wuthichart Kanlayanamit said if the bus terminal is under 50 centimetres of water, the company may consider moving its bus services to another location. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-06

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evacuation Order Issued for More Districts and Sub-Districts

UPDATE : 6 November 2011

The Bangkok governor has issued an evacuation order for residents in the following areas;

Nongchok District

- Only for residents in Khlong Sib, Kufang Nua, Kok Faed sub-districts

Pasicharoen District

- Entire district has been ordered to evacuate

Nongkaem District

- Entire district has been ordered to evacuate

Minburi

- Residents in Saen Saeb Sub-district have been asked to evacuate

Nongkaem District.

Added to Flood Watchlist

- Lardprao District: Lardprao Sub-district, Prasert Manukij Rd

- Thonburi District: Taladplu Sub-district,Wuthakart Rd, Terdthai Rd

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-06

footer_n.gif

snip: "The subway commuters have reached 100,000 persons daily despite flooding, he said."

Usage may be high now because so many have parked their cars on overpasses and parking garages and must use other forms of transportation (for a nice change).

snip: "The Transport Company President Wuthichart Kanlayanamit said if the bus terminal is under 50 centimetres of water, the company may consider moving its bus services to another location. (MCOT online news)"

It's a laugh a minute reading the statements of officials these days.

Edited by PaultheSeeker

snip: "The Transport Company President Wuthichart Kanlayanamit said if the bus terminal is under 50 centimetres of water, the company may consider moving its bus services to another location. (MCOT online news)"

Its amazing isnt it? You would think president wuthi would have a plan in place. I can imaging the meeting.. err chaps the water is 50cms deep and sloshing about in the buses . what should we do?...

I just got back from Chatuchak. The MRT (Chatuchak) has been closed. BTS is open but some wading required to get to/from it. The road surrounding the market is flooded to 0.5 m but the market is dry thanks to contrete flood walls across the entrance. I didn't enter but there were no open stalls visible from the park.<br><br>Walked/waded up to Lat Phrao: Central Mall is closed, Tesco Lotus is open.<br><br>

I GIVE UP TRYING TO POST PHOTOS TO THIS FORUM!

See: http://tyfon.info/TV/latphrao.htm

Edited by phaethon

Its amazing isnt it? You would think president wuthi would have a plan in place. I can imaging the meeting.. err chaps the water is 50cms deep and sloshing about in the buses . what should we do?...

One step at a time!!!!!:lol:.

i made it into chatuchak market, a lot of stall open but not many customers.

a lot of irrational fear outside the market, ie - cant drive thru 10 TEN centimetres of water.

i have a ruler in my bag, it goes up to 30 cmso it wasnt 50cm at 10-11 am....but the water was rising slowly, and spreading so it may well be that by now.

exchanged my dodgy chiller unit, in less than 30 minutes in the market, over the moon i made the effort.

rachada, lad prao, etc, all grossly flooded. but still has traffic moving slowly through it.

a nice day out if u can find a dry spot.

best wishes etc...

ef

I just got back from Chatuchak. The MRT (Chatuchak) has been closed. BTS is open but some wading required to get to/from it. The road surrounding the market is flooded to 0.5 m but the market is dry thanks to contrete flood walls across the entrance. I didn't enter but there were no open stalls visible from the park.<br><br>Walked/waded up to Lat Phrao: Central Mall is closed, Tesco Lotus is open.<br><br>

Amusingly, even today I bet taxi drivers in the vicinity would refuse to take me to the Nonthaburi Pier area because "nam thuam!" The lack of information/confusing disinformation coming through official channels is as chaotic as anything. Social media and forums like this have been really helpful as I can see pictures of exactly where it's flooded as opposed to the Thai rumor mill and media reports of things like "Viphravadi flooded" or "Phahoyothin flooded" - long, long roads the majority of which are not flooded. These taxi drivers don't know anything about what's flooded and all they hear is NONTHABURI FLOODED so they don't realize that a humongous chunk of Nonthaburi East of the river is dry - even right on the river. I'm sure this is true of areas all over the city. For me that's an inconvenience, but what about for all the people who need supplies they could be buying here if they knew everything was open. We have guys selling bottled water on the roadside everywhere, markets full of eggs and meat and vegetables and so on. Restaurants open, ferries open, bakeries open, street stalls open, liquor stores open - it's relatively normal. I suppose in some part that's because everyone thinks it's flooded, but if you need fresh goods and what not, take a spin up to Phibulsongkram at Pratcharat and tool around. Big C and 7-11, the things that require a supply chain, are fairly taxed, but mom and pop joints as well as the big local markets are running pretty normally because they rely on the coconut telegraph.

During today's ramble I actually saw NO rats anywhere - suspect they are all living it up in Pattaya.

Here's the plan: We tie the heads of FROC and the BMA to chairs. Decided by toss of a coin, we plant one in the path of the next northbound tidal surge and the other in the path of the southbound runoff. Whichever on successfully orders the water to stop gets to be Prime Minister. Easy.

(Those tempted to take that seriously may wish to Google "King &lt;deleted&gt; (Canute)")

Amusingly, even today I bet taxi drivers in the vicinity would refuse to take me to the Nonthaburi Pier area because "nam thuam!" The lack of information/confusing disinformation coming through official channels is as chaotic as anything. Social media and forums like this have been really helpful as I can see pictures of exactly where it's flooded as opposed to the Thai rumor mill and media reports of things like "Viphravadi flooded" or "Phahoyothin flooded" - long, long roads the majority of which are not flooded. These taxi drivers don't know anything about what's flooded and all they hear is NONTHABURI FLOODED so they don't realize that a humongous chunk of Nonthaburi East of the river is dry - even right on the river. I'm sure this is true of areas all over the city. For me that's an inconvenience, but what about for all the people who need supplies they could be buying here if they knew everything was open. We have guys selling bottled water on the roadside everywhere, markets full of eggs and meat and vegetables and so on. Restaurants open, ferries open, bakeries open, street stalls open, liquor stores open - it's relatively normal. I suppose in some part that's because everyone thinks it's flooded, but if you need fresh goods and what not, take a spin up to Phibulsongkram at Pratcharat and tool around. Big C and 7-11, the things that require a supply chain, are fairly taxed, but mom and pop joints as well as the big local markets are running pretty normally because they rely on the coconut telegraph.

A few taxis were ploughing up and down PY Road, I noticed they were stopping and asking the local motorcycle riders - so much more reliable as sources of information.

From the news updates....

Waterpark at Siam Park City is open today, however there are some floods in the area. Call 02 919-7200 /via@RichardBarrow

Not too sure how many people will be having a sudden urge to visit a water park at the moment.

Unnecessarily rude and offensive generalization and response to the post have been removed. Please keep it civil, I realize that many are under alot of stress but that no reason to be rude and offensive.

Lad Phrao is very bad from the Ratchada intersection up to Chok Choi 4, no taxi will go there and only a few pickups are out. Police were driving through Soi's yesterday picking people up but that has also stopped and people are using boats and inflatables.

Very Quiet in the soi's and the water is dark black and rising daily.

I just came down srinikarin road in 145 bus and the water is coming up the drains onto the road between On Nut crossing and Seacon Square. With so many of the roadside ditches blocked either by lack of maintenance or wilful filling in I reckon it will not be long before the water reaches BangNa

The massive underpass tunnel construction has done nothing to help the drainage on the Seacon Square to Onn Nut junction road, I can see the tunnel being full of water for some time to come, still on the bright side the road may remain little affected due to the new water storage area.whistling.gif

According to Dr Seri, floods will work their way through Bangkok before finally giving us 1 meter floods in Samut Prakan/via@RichardBarrow

Something to look forward to I suppose. My missus although Thai is proactive see below.

Ah well that justified the missus getting me and the kids to move lots of stuff to the second floor back balcony a week or more back. laugh.gif

Edited by siampolee

Interior Min Spokesman Assures Value of Each Relief Bag Approximately Bt800 Interior Ministry spokesperson Pipatchai Piboon denies the flood relief bags distributed to flood victims are worth less than 800 baht. He explains that the 5kg-pack of rice alone costs over 100 baht.

Earlier this week Sakholthee Pattiyakul, deputy spokesman of the Democrat Party, cast doubt over the real value of the emergency relief bags that are being distributed to the flood victims by the Pheu Thai-led government coalition. According to the Flood Relief Operation Center (FROC) each bag of emergency supplies contain items with a combined value of approximately 800 baht. That's also a figure that was submitted for budgetary purposes. Sakholthee believed that instead of 800 baht, the supplies in each emergency relief bag should be worth no more than 200-400 baht.

Interior Ministry spokesperson Pipatchai Piboon denied the claim that the procurement of these relief bags were anything but transparent.

Each relief bag contains the following items:

1 One 5 kilomgrams bag of rice (100% white rice) 2. Six packs of instant rice 3. Four cans of canned fish 4. Four cans of spicy canned fish. Four cans of green curry or chicken curry 6. Four cans of fried fish (original flavor) 7. Four cans of chicken massaman 8 Three cans of spicy fried clams

Pipatchai said the 5kg pack of rice along cost over 100 baht. He also reassured the public that the items in each relief bag all meet the market standard and does not contain anything that has already expired.

Wonder where they do their shopping ? A t the overall price it certainly isn't here in Thailand, suppose there must be a ''delivery charge.''

Edited by siampolee

Interior Min Spokesman Assures Value of Each Relief Bag Approximately Bt800<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">UPDATE : 6 November 2011<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Interior Ministry spokesperson Pipatchai Piboon denies the flood relief bags distributed to flood victims are worth less than 800 baht. He explains that the 5kg-pack of rice alone costs over 100 baht. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Earlier this week Sakholthee Pattiyakul, deputy spokesman of the Democrat Party, cast doubt over the real value of the emergency relief bags that are being distributed to the flood victims by the Pheu Thai-led government coalition. According to the Flood Relief Operation Center (FROC) each bag of emergency supplies contain items with a combined value of approximately 800 baht. That's also a figure that was submitted for budgetary purposes. Sakholthee believed that instead of 800 baht, the supplies in each emergency relief bag should be worth no more than 200-400 baht. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Interior Ministry spokesperson Pipatchai Piboon denied the claim that the procurement of these relief bags were anything but transparent. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Each relief bag contains the following items:<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">1. One 5 kilomgrams bag of rice (100% white rice)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">2. Six packs of instant rice<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">3. Four cans of canned fish<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">4. Four cans of spicy canned fish<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">5. Four cans of green curry or chicken curry<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">6. Four cans of fried fish (original flavor)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">7. Four cans of chicken massaman <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">8. Three cans of spicy fried clams<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Pipatchai said the 5kg pack of rice along cost over 100 baht. He also reassured the public that the items in each relief bag all meet the market standard and does not contain anything that has already expired.
<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Wonder where they do their shopping ? A t the overall price it certainly isn't here in Thailand, suppose there must be a ''delivery charge.''

Wot, no SPAM? :ermm:

Cheapskates!

It is sad to hear that Bangkok is flooded for so many days already.

I do hope that the flood will be over soon.

As for the Thai government, I think that they have done quite a good job to minimize the effect, but the flood is too bad.

I don't think that any farang country can do any better if the flood (at the same intensity) hits their country.

As for the Thai government, I think that they have done quite a good job to minimize the effect, but the flood is too bad.

I don't think that any farang country can do any better if the flood (at the same intensity) hits their country.

They have not done a good job, and what the f*** is a 'farang country'?

What good job did the Thai government do? Yes, the flood is very bad, bad the government is completely unorganized.

I am sure that most of the other countries would have done a better job in dealing with the floods.

Please, please, please, continue! This is very valuable information. Please don't stop!!!! First hand and relaibale information which is not coming from papperazzi or sensation press... real photo's. Please continue!

What good job did the Thai government do? Yes, the flood is very bad, bad the government is completely unorganized.

I am sure that most of the other countries would have done a better job in dealing with the floods.

The only one who is to blame for this ordeal is exactly the Thai Government with at its helm the Shinawatra novice in Burberry outfit! Shame on her for her incompetency. A movie star is usually not a waterway engineer... Go on with populist hand-outs like your big brother from whom your body has been cloned. Thailand only hopes that the truth will be proved after this ordeal is over... and Thailand deserves something better than the Shinawatra clan.