Flood Advancing In On City:

Lite Beer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rkidlad-A farang country would cover those countries in which farangs constitute a majority, e.g. all Europe USA, Canada, NZ, Oz, etc. How could someone posting on a forum devoted to Thailand not know that??

Edited by qualtrough

It is sad to hear that Bangkok is flooded for so many days already.

I do hope that the flood will be over soon.

As for the Thai government, I think that they have done quite a good job to minimize the effect, but the flood is too bad.

I don't think that any farang country can do any better if the flood (at the same intensity) hits their country.

I wouldn't bet on that. Even Vietnam and Cambodia did a better job.

Edited by pryortuck

I just got back from Chatuchak. The MRT (Chatuchak) has been closed. BTS is open but some wading required to get to/from it. The road surrounding the market is flooded to 0.5 m but the market is dry thanks to contrete flood walls across the entrance. I didn't enter but there were no open stalls visible from the park.<br><br>Walked/waded up to Lat Phrao: Central Mall is closed, Tesco Lotus is open.<br><br>

I GIVE UP TRYING TO POST PHOTOS TO THIS FORUM!

See: http://tyfon.info/TV/latphrao.htm

I took the BTS out to Mo Chit and saw everything you are describing, with exception to Central Lat Phrao and Tesco Lotus (I did not venture from the Mo Chit area). JJ market, as you said looked more closed than opened. Also, the flood waters were slowly migrating into Saphan Khwai, but only on one side, which would be, I believe the east side. This was at about 2:00 P.M. (Sunday) and I'm sure it will be worse by tomorrow.

I recall Australia being hit quite severely so don't always assume more developed places will fair better.

I hope this will all over be soon. So whats the plan of action now, how much water have they managed to drain?

Only a very small amount of surface water on the southbound lane of srinakarin at the junction with Suan luang, and about 100m down toward Seacon. Seacon, Paradise park etc still completely dry.

You often see water running along sections of Sirinakarindra - they are fooling around with burying the central and lateral drainage ditches as part of the long-term roadworks and it's more likely something has leaked.

Edited by phaethon

I took the BTS out to Mo Chit and saw everything you are describing...

Bet you didn't see the homeless guy take his trousers off and take a squat-dump off the lowest dry step of a pedestrian bridge onto the next (flooded) step unsure.gif

Sorry, no photos of that...

Can anyone , please give a link for an updated flood map?

http://www.thaiflood.com/floodmapYou can sort of judge the severity from the density of the markers (individual reports)

Edited by phaethon

Only a very small amount of surface water on the southbound lane of srinakarin at the junction with Suan luang, and about 100m down toward Seacon. Seacon, Paradise park etc still completely dry.

You often see water running along sections of Sirinakarindra - they are fooling around with burying the central and lateral drainage ditches as part of the long-term roadworks and it's more likely something has leaked.

yeh, been on that corner for a few days, dont think its flood related.

rkidlad-A farang country would cover those countries in which farangs constitute a majority, e.g. all Europe USA, Canada, NZ, Oz, etc. How could someone posting on a forum devoted to Thailand not know that??

That was my reaction also qualthrough... how could someone achieve 331 posts on TV without figuring that out?

I just got back from Chatuchak. The MRT (Chatuchak) has been closed. BTS is open but some wading required to get to/from it. The road surrounding the market is flooded to 0.5 m but the market is dry thanks to contrete flood walls across the entrance. I didn't enter but there were no open stalls visible from the park.<br><br>Walked/waded up to Lat Phrao: Central Mall is closed, Tesco Lotus is open.<br><br>

Which totally belies the report from MRT authority stating that "everything is operating normally at all stations" -- total bulls**t when Lad Prao MRT (for one) has had most entrances closed for days now....

Edited by jpinx

Thanks for that link , any idea on how to get the boxes on the right side menu to bring up details about highways? I'm wondering about main route from Suvarn.. Airport to US Embassy near Lupini PArk , Wireless road

I took the BTS out to Mo Chit and saw everything you are describing...

Bet you didn't see the homeless guy take his trousers off and take a squat-dump off the lowest dry step of a pedestrian bridge onto the next (flooded) step unsure.gif

Sorry, no photos of that...

Can anyone , please give a link for an updated flood map?

http://www.thaiflood.com/floodmapYou can sort of judge the severity from the density of the markers (individual reports)

I recall Australia being hit quite severely so don't always assume more developed places will fair better.

I hope this will all over be soon. So whats the plan of action now, how much water have they managed to drain?

have a look at italy, germany last year and several others

Uk about 3-4 years ago!

All incompetent governments (ok for Italy and UK I would agree :) )

Thanks so much for posting the news...my heart and soul go with the people....I would like Thai Visa members help donating money to the Red Cross or non profits that help the people...I myself already did my share in America..hope everyone can do whatever amount they can...

My take and opinion...

There was a report about the floods in Thailand this morning on TV5 (French international TV), and they interviewed a couple of Thai academics who said that the floods were the result of a "human error" (the water in the upcountry reservoirs was badly managed over the past months, if i understood correctly - I can't find the right words in English), compounded by the fact that Bangkok and its surroundings (they mentioned Suvarnabhumi) were built on swampy lands... They said the rainfall this year was not exceptionally high - I don't know if this is true, those of you who are in Thailand obviously know better...

Which totally belies the report from MRT authority stating that "everything is operating normally at all stations" -- total bulls**t when Lad Prao MRT (for one) has had most entrances closed for days now....

I find out that not many people in everywhere are willing to tell the whole truth. They will give you information bit by bit and that is Norma for this day eventually the whole truth is surface while the damage already has been done...

You and I need to check and double check the source before doing anything and more time to waste for nonsense stuff. My take and opinion and...thanks so much for posting.

It is sad to hear that Bangkok is flooded for so many days already.

I do hope that the flood will be over soon.

As for the Thai government, I think that they have done quite a good job to minimize the effect, but the flood is too bad.

I don't think that any farang country can do any better if the flood (at the same intensity) hits their country.

They have not done a good job, and what the f*** is a 'farang country'?

Indra sounds like a Thai or person from at least that region who wants to make excuses for his country's (or region's) incompetence (hence the idea of a "farang country").

There are basically two types of floods -- flash and widespread. There's not a lot to be done about flash flooding (usually the type caused by intense precipitation over a SHORT period of time), although areas prone to flash flooding (such as where I am living since moving back from Thailand -- the Front Range of Colorado) can do things to mitigate the conditions present to cut down on the likelihood of flash flooding for foreseeable events. But of course, this is a "farang country" and a "farang state".

America (obviously a "farang country") has plenty of widespread flooding. There are lots of things the country has done over the years to mitigate widespread flooding in those areas that are apt to experience widespread flooding, particularly that caused by annual snow melt. This past year, for example, snow melt in the upper drainage basin of the Mississippi River (including, for example, North and South Dakota where I was planning on traveling) was especially high. While no country -- not even a "farang country" can make that disappear, lots was done (including the use of areas that were designed to flood to take the pressure off population areas), and hydrologic gauging stations made flood predictions (both in terms of depth and time) that were incredibly accurate. After Hurricane Agnes back in the 70s (on the East Coast), many, many streams and rivers were modified to cut down on flooding from such "hundred year storms".

You can't stop a bad flood, as we experienced with the mass hurricane that hit the Gulf Coast a few years ago. But you can often mitigate the conditions and situations.

The difference with Thailand is that flooding is a YEARLY occurrence. Yet little is done to mitigate the situation. And won't be accomplished after this year's floods either. The government and people will just lurch on to the next crisis, whatever that may be. And lurch from one crisis to another is exactly what they do. If you made a chronological list of where and when the Thai politicians (with all their information sources) said would flood and not flood and when, all you would have is mass of constantly contradictory statements that had little or no basis for accuracy. They just said whatever came to their mind. And that's a shame, because hydrology can be a fairly exact science in the type of flooding events that occur every year (for hundreds of years) in Thailand.

The only one who is to blame for this ordeal is exactly the Thai Government with at its helm the Shinawatra novice in Burberry outfit! Shame on her for her incompetency. A movie star is usually not a waterway engineer... Go on with populist hand-outs like your big brother from whom your body has been cloned. Thailand only hopes that the truth will be proved after this ordeal is over... and Thailand deserves something better than the Shinawatra clan.

I'm not a fan of this government at all, but in all fairness, I doubt the Democrats would have been too much more competent if they had been in charge.

There was a report about the floods in Thailand this morning on TV5 (French international TV), and they interviewed a couple of Thai academics who said that the floods were the result of a "human error" (the water in the upcountry reservoirs was badly managed over the past months, if i understood correctly - I can't find the right words in English), compounded by the fact that Bangkok and its surroundings (they mentioned Suvarnabhumi) were built on swampy lands... They said the rainfall this year was not exceptionally high - I don't know if this is true, those of you who are in Thailand obviously know better...

I have heard the same thing from two sources; one is Thai and the other associates with many Thais. The story goes that the dams up North are normally only filled to a certain level when the rainy season is approaching so that they will be able to contain the upcoming influx of water. This year, a newly appointed person in charge overruled those with experience and kept additional water so the farmers would have enough for their rice farms. So when the typhoons hit and the water came down the rivers, the dams were too full already and they had to let water out or risk loss of the dam and a major problem. I have thrown this out to see if there is anyone who can corroborate from reliable sources. If this is true, then there is certainly blame that is warranted. If not, then it is just another rumor to fill the time while waiting for any concrete news.

There are no "Farangs" outside of Thailand

There are no "Farangs" outside of Thailand

There are. All people are either Thai or Farang. :D

I have heard the same thing from two sources; one is Thai and the other associates with many Thais. The story goes that the dams up North are normally only filled to a certain level when the rainy season is approaching so that they will be able to contain the upcoming influx of water. This year, a newly appointed person in charge overruled those with experience and kept additional water so the farmers would have enough for their rice farms. So when the typhoons hit and the water came down the rivers, the dams were too full already and they had to let water out or risk loss of the dam and a major problem. I have thrown this out to see if there is anyone who can corroborate from reliable sources. If this is true, then there is certainly blame that is warranted. If not, then it is just another rumor to fill the time while waiting for any concrete news.

See a series of articles on this topic here: Click This

That was my reaction also qualthrough... how could someone achieve 331 posts on TV without figuring that out?

I don't want to be able to figure it out because it's illogical and down right offensive to anyone who's actually proud of where they're from. 'Farang country' is a country where the majority of people are white? We're white and we're all the same. Is this how you and the other guy think?

You remind me of a girl in my office who advised the other girl's working there to belittle themselves and flirt with the boss. You've got to get in good with the boss. Even if it does cost you your pride.

There's one born every minute. Think we should change that to 'there's one that flies in every minute'

Next thing you'll tell me this government has done a good job handling the floods.

I went to the hospital Saturday and on the form (I hadn't seen it this starkly before) they had one section for "nationality" and one for "race" - both had checkboxes for only "THAI" or "OTHER _____________" which made me chuckle. Hardly proof of some grand agenda, just a humorous bureaucratic interpretation.

I went to the hospital Saturday and on the form (I hadn't seen it this starkly before) they had one section for "nationality" and one for "race" - both had checkboxes for only "THAI" or "OTHER _____________" which made me chuckle. Hardly proof of some grand agenda, just a humorous bureaucratic interpretation.

According to qualtrough,it should have stated "THAI" or "FARANG___________________" :rolleyes: to be more exact!

Edited by MAJIC

i just read 'farang' as 'foreign' .. which is what it means .. i think you're a bit too sensitive.

if there were people from overseas (ie. foreigners) staying in australia talking on the 'ozzievisa' forum or whatever about how the floods there were being handled badly by the australian government and an australian came on and said 'i don't think a foreign government would do any better'.. would you freak out about the using of the word foreign?

is it just being called a farang? you better get over that.. go to your nearest temple and meditate on it.. it isn't offensive.. it's just a word for the people from overseas, dude.