Cost Of Living 2011 Cr

rmacdon61

OK now that I am going to live here 6 months a year until the economy comes back in Canada so I can sell off the property there and transition into CR full time, what can I expect to pay each months. I maintain my place in canada on a pension and would like to be comfortable, not well off here.

I bought the wife a car, 8000 bht / month and have no housing cost other then hydro/internet/water and food at our local market in Pong Phrae area. In the past year, I have taken care of all the usual costs of gold/smart phone/computer/HiSo stuff. Now it is just day to day food with fuel for running around to see see in the car and my motorcycle. The family has accepted my AMT is closed :whistling: .

I know I will spend outside this for toys, but don't include that in the house budget. Any thoughts on this appreciated. I do expect the usual banter, so have fun with this :lol: :jap: but constructive too OK.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No banter Mac, it's a commonly discussed question among expats and those who want to be.

I live on about 30,000 a month but I don't pay rent.

My main bills are electric and TOT internet.

The car insurance and tax once a year which is the main domestic bite out of my budget, comes to about 18,000.

I eat well, mainly cook for myself, and drink very little now days.

I would recommend having a budget based on what you can afford and sticking to it. Everyone has different needs and expectations. For example my fixed overhead items would eat up most of Scea’s budget before I even get out of bed to have my morning coffee. He is happy, I am happy and we seem to bump into each other in many of the same places, so go figure. How much you spend is really up to you and what you can afford. :)

No banter Mac, it's a commonly discussed question among expats and those who want to be.

The car insurance and tax once a year which is the main domestic bite out of my budget, comes to about 18,000.

Is that tax from a domestic job?

I give the mrs. a budget of 40.000 including 14.000 to pay for the car. She can manage, we eat and drink what we want, almost never go to restaurants, Don't have to pay rent. I think we live a rather luxury life.

Even ten years ago I couldn't have lived on what I do now, but my needs have changed.

I think that's important, what you want out of your retirement.

I was never lazy so I think it's something I need to work on now. B)

That is going to be my biggest problem, sitting on my hands. Don't know if I can do that???

Would like to do woodwork as a hobby, but need to buy all new tools I already have in Canada. When I sell off everything, will buy then.

Even ten years ago I couldn't have lived on what I do now, but my needs have changed.

I was never lazy so I think it's something I need to work on now. B)

That is going to be my biggest problem, sitting on my hands. Don't know if I can do that???

Would like to do woodwork as a hobby, but need to buy all new tools I already have in Canada. When I sell off everything, will buy then.

Let me know if you get too bored and would like to do a little bit of volunteer/free English teaching? Like you I spend about six months a year in CR and I do two afternoons a week at a local public high school that has no money to hire native speakers. The kids are all dirt poor kids of rice farmers but are very nice and super polite but very shy to try speaking English. Some of them can read quite a bit of English but they never have much chance to try and practice speaking which is what they really need. I've been at it for couple of years and really enjoy it. When I started i was the first falang most of the kids had ever spoken to or been around. It's good fun and you will likely find it helps fill your week plus makes you feel good that you are mabybe helping out even if just a little bit. You can pretty much volunteer to do as little or as much as you want to try. Up to you as how you teach them but it's really not all that hard as long as you can figure a way to make it fun.

The school will deal with any work permit questions.

• 5 months later...

I was never lazy so I think it's something I need to work on now. cool.gif

Let me know if you get too bored and would like to do a little bit of volunteer/free English teaching? Like you I spend about six months a year in CR and I do two afternoons a week at a local public high school that has no money to hire native speakers. The kids are all dirt poor kids of rice farmers but are very nice and super polite but very shy to try speaking English. Some of them can read quite a bit of English but they never have much chance to try and practice speaking which is what they really need. I've been at it for couple of years and really enjoy it. When I started i was the first falang most of the kids had ever spoken to or been around. It's good fun and you will likely find it helps fill your week plus makes you feel good that you are mabybe helping out even if just a little bit. You can pretty much volunteer to do as little or as much as you want to try. Up to you as how you teach them but it's really not all that hard as long as you can figure a way to make it fun.

The school will deal with any work permit questions.

English is not my first language but I grew up under my caucasian father and Korean mother. I suppose I can pass for native speaker to non english speaking group biggrin.png If they are not happy I can always teach them broken Korean tongue.png Few years ago I got a TEFL certificate just to kill time. It's time I put them to good use.

I hate to see a man suffer .. building a house in Khon Kaen, will start just after the rainy season.

Working conditions should be great, but that commute! ;)

• 1 month later...

18,000 include tax and insurance? What kind of car do you have? I am planning to purchase a pickup. Still deciding on new or 2nd hand. Any advice?

18,000 include tax and insurance? What kind of car do you have? I am planning to purchase a pickup. Still deciding on new or 2nd hand. Any advice?

My pickup costs 900bht for tax and another 900bht for insurance.

Food and household bills shouldn't cost more than 10k a month.

My pickup costs 900bht for tax and another 900bht for insurance.

Food and household bills shouldn't cost more than 10k a month.

While I am impressed with your frugality, I would find your existence ascetic in nature. I'm not sure how many individuals could follow your example.

As I said in my earlier post “Everyone has different needs and expectations. For example my fixed overhead items would eat up most of Scea’s budget before I even get out of bed to have my morning coffee. He is happy, I am happy and we seem to bump into each other in many of the same places, so go figure. How much you spend is really up to you and what you can afford.”thumbsup.gif

I plan on simple living except for my vice for golf once or twice a week. The biggest expense I anticipate other than golf is car, food and house rent (until I decide to build or buy). With this info, how much would you say I need per month?

It's a "how long is a piece of string" problem, you can live on noodle soup everyday then your cost of living will be different to some one who shops for his food at Central Mall.

The secret of keeping costs reasonable and yourself happy is to combine the two.

Your main overhead will be rent. Work this out then the rest is flexible.

Tommo, 900B a year for your car bills is a little.... difficult to comprehend.

Could you explain this a bit further please?

I take it you don't subscribe to the urbam myth that the Thai police automatically lock up any Farang involved in an accident unless he has full first class insurance or carrying several hundred thousand baht in his pocket to cover the costs and expenses of every other person remotely involved?

Mikekim, if you want to play golf twice a week, you can say you will spend around 3000 Bt. That will probably include fuel, greenfees, tips for caddies and usual golf ex,s.

That will get you a round at Waterford and Santiburi. The two best course we have here.

Cheaper if you play with 2nd hand balls like me LOL. Or more, if you are as bad a golfer as me, as I normally end up on the losing teams.

Overall, I think you should start to think of around 40,000/ month minimum.

You may need to show that anyway if you are planning on a Non O visa plus I believe 400,000 in the bank.

I,m not up to date on the financial requirements, as I obtain my Non O visas from outside of Thailand at the moment, being married to a Thai national.

C35B.

Mikekim, if you want to play golf twice a week, you can say you will spend around 3000 Bt. That will probably include fuel, greenfees, tips for caddies and usual golf ex,s.

That will get you a round at Waterford and Santiburi. The two best course we have here.

Cheaper if you play with 2nd hand balls like me LOL. Or more, if you are as bad a golfer as me, as I normally end up on the losing teams.

Overall, I think you should start to think of around 40,000/ month minimum.

You may need to show that anyway if you are planning on a Non O visa plus I believe 400,000 in the bank.

I,m not up to date on the financial requirements, as I obtain my Non O visas from outside of Thailand at the moment, being married to a Thai national.

C35B.

In May, I met a missionary couple in Rahjabhat. They took me to Waterford on Tuesday. They only paid caddy fee for their 18 hole while I paid 1080 including caddy fee. They paid a membership fee of 1500 which allowed them to play free green on Tuesdays. I planned to do the same when I get back in July. Another gentleman told me that if you pay 5000 annual fee, weekday green is free. I posted this info in the forum and one gentleman called Waterford and told they are only offering this membership to 100 customers and 70 has been given out and they are not giving out anymore... It looks they have preferential treatment depending on who you know. Mae Koh is offering flat green fee 350. That's 700 including caddy fee and tip.

This is different topic but since you mentioned it what kind of visa are you on now. My understanding was if you are married to Thai, you need 400,000 in the bank. I also planned to marry my g/f once everything is settled down and we are still friends

Firstly. I Have just came back to Thailand from a working trip, so know nothing about the 5000 yearly fee and pay caddy fee only during the week.

Waterford did have a 1500Bt year 1 and 1000Bt per year afterwards membership. With that you paid only 700 Bt per round inc. caddy fee. I think this type of membership is still available.

By Mae Koh, I assume you mean MaeKok golf course. Which is the army course.

I have a 1 year Non O A I think. Which I get once a year from the Thai consulate in Glasgow. By virtue of the fact I am married to a Thai national. I pay a flat fee of 90 pounds for this

If you want to obtain your 1 year Visa inside Thailand, that is a different kettle of fish.

There are many posters here who can tell you the requirements doing it that way.

This is my understanding of your 2 other choices. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

Even if you are married to your girlfriend, you will need to show 400,000 Bt in the bank. Deposited no less than 3 months prior to your application. Plus monthly income of around 40,00 Bt per month.

Or if you are old enough and want to stay singlewink.png (used to be 55, but I think 50 is the minimum age now), you can apply for a 1 year retirement visa. For this you will need to show at least the same as mentioned in option 1.

I await the corrections to my advice.

Good luck anyway Mike and I am sure you will enjoy your stay i Chiang Rai.

Just do not read the Chiang Rai forum without contributing or the posters who always have to say something even when they have nothing to say will give you a slap on the wrists.

whistling.gif

Hope to meet you soon,

Stuart. welcomeani.gifmellow.png

Edited by chang35baht

Ok, good luck on your trp. I will share any info I have as my contribution to the forum. Can't guarantee it will be correct tongue.png

From my understanding, for retirement visa, you need 800,000 in the bank or 65,000 a month or combination. IIf married, 400,000 or 40,000/month or combination. This is not a problem for me. I am just trying to explore other options that I haven't heard yet. Always looking for a loophole. Keep things interesting..

You are of course welcome to look for loopholes if you wish but the rules are clearly laid out and generally enforced with vigor.

The visa section on TV has all the up to date information which you seem to be quoting of 800000 and 400000 for retirement or married. It gets more complicated when trying to show income from abroad but some people don’t have the luxury of extra money sitting around to leave in what is essentially a non performing bank account.

If you are expecting marriage to make your life cheeper and easier, I can only say I hope your dreams come true.

Thanks to Chang35 for pointing out that it is rude to lurk and gawk while ignoring the cries for help of those lesser mortals who find life’s path difficult and confusing. I would rather not leave someone knocking on a door if I know there is no one home. Saying hello and sending them in a more productive direction seems the neighborly thing to do.

One final note, we normally wish someone good luck before a trip not after they have “came back.”

Ok, good luck on your trp. I will share any info I have as my contribution to the forum. Can't guarantee it will be correct tongue.png

From my understanding, for retirement visa, you need 800,000 in the bank or 65,000 a month or combination. IIf married, 400,000 or 40,000/month or combination. This is not a problem for me. I am just trying to explore other options that I haven't heard yet. Always looking for a loophole. Keep things interesting..

My understanding is the combination method is not available for married visas. Check the visa forum for advise on this and other matters as they have the people who know.

My guess is 30000 baht is a minimum for comfortable basic living costs. Extras like hospital are not included though.

• Like 1