Cost Of Living 2011 Cr

rmacdon61

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a break down of your overheads, we're talking basic living costs here.... utilities, fuel, food and drink... buying new toys and keeping extended family doesn't come into it.

I have a fixed income and am constantly aware that living off of capital can be risky anywhere, particularly here.

• Like 1

Like chang35baht says, 40K minimum a month. having said that I know people who spend that on beer or dog food or Aircon and its regarded as basic living costs. other people can live very well indeed on 30k. Its a question that comes up frequently but one you can only really answer yourself.

Edited by jubby

My estimate includes an allowance for rent...which we do not really have as we live in a house owned by my wife'e family which is now my wife's and which we rebuilt and furnished. I am counting that at about 6000baht which includes costs of preventative and restorative mainainance which will be needed later.

electricity 3000 baht...water 100baht internet 1000baht telephone 500

food 10000baht...(we eat well)

petrol 3000baht

I do not drink

a couple of thousand for clothes for both of us

A little bit for extras

all told round 30000.

on top of that I have regular medical costs of 6000baht a month

THe total just about blows the pension.....

I try not to touch the capital (which is not much now) as I now have car,.motorcycle tv airconditioners etc.

Does anyone or their wives generate income? You guys are too young to be hanging around and waiting for the boat to arrive..

If my wife was out working we would have less quality time together. Even after 15 years she is still my best friend and favorite companion. No amount of income could make up for the loss of time spent together. There is so much more to life than generating income.wink.png

park wahn smile.png

The reason I included this amount was mainly that the OP wanted to know how much is a reasonable amount for him to budget. I presume he would have to pay rent which will be 4000 to 6000 baht a month. In reality we pay 2000 as I have decided to offset the loss of income which my MIL would have got from the house in its original state if she had not given this to us. This money (together wit the rice crop) is used to feed clothe and educate my nieces.

Edited by harrry

• 10 months later...

I would recommend having a budget based on what you can afford and sticking to it. Everyone has different needs and expectations. For example my fixed overhead items would eat up most of Scea’s budget before I even get out of bed to have my morning coffee. He is happy, I am happy and we seem to bump into each other in many of the same places, so go figure. How much you spend is really up to you and what you can afford. smile.gif

I agree with VF. I would like to add to it. Although the basic living requirements are not very expensive, it is what you want out of life here in Chiang Rai. Rent, Utilities and transportation can be adjusted to your budget. If you like to travel or have a hobby like golf, that has to be factored in your monthly. Also, look at medical expenses, do you have insurance, etc Utilities can be regulated by how much air conditioning you use, what Satellite TV package do you want, what level of speed you want on your internet. Smart phone costs, and if you like to eat western food, along with other quirks needs to be factored in. My Sat TV, Internet/Phone, Cell Phone, Elect, Water run me a little over 7000 baht a month, but that is worst case. I also have maid and gardener costs which is really not required, one of those quirks I was mentioning. Travel and playing tourist eats up costs, but once again you can adjust that. So, I would take a wag at the bottom line, between 30,000 to 80,000 baht a month. If you have a Thai wife, you will need to factor in an allowance and any family events or needed outlay cash. If you are single and want to explore the night life, that is a whole different ball of wax and can get quiet expensive, especially the bar and nightclub circuit. I do not have car of motorbike loans, but the insurance and registration on both run me about 20,000 baht a year. As they say in Thailand, "Up to You. " Cheers.....

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I get a monthly retirement check that meets the Thai government's monetary requirements for a retirement visa.

I've done a bunch of reading and have a fairly good idea of how much things will cost, so I figure I'll show up and work things out from there. A few weeks in a hotel, find a quiet, decent place for 12 to 15000 baht a month, rent for a few months and if I like it, I'll stay longer.

I'm wondering if I might score a better bungalow if I rent during the smokey season. I'm planning on coming in late March, early april.

I'm thinking I will love Chiang Rai but if not, there are a bunch of other places to try.

It's good to be retired. smile.png

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Like 2

I don't think the price of rental accommodation is effected by seasonal issues.

You should get something nice for that price though.

Congratulations on your retirement and we look forward to you being part of our Chiang Rai community.

howdy sceadugenga.

It's the old procurement/contracts guy in me coming out. It never hurts to ask. [smile.png]

Of course, this forum is a vital link for many newcomers to Thailand... I learned an enormous amount in my first couple of years here.

Along with the other old timers I like to give a little back, but I'll admit that things, even in sleepy Chiang Rai, are changing so rapidly it's hard to keep up.

• Like 2

I get a monthly retirement check that meets the Thai government's monetary requirements for a retirement visa.

I've done a bunch of reading and have a fairly good idea of how much things will cost, so I figure I'll show up and work things out from there. A few weeks in a hotel, find a quiet, decent place for 12 to 15000 baht a month, rent for a few months and if I like it, I'll stay longer.

I'm wondering if I might score a better bungalow if I rent during the smokey season. I'm planning on coming in late March, early april.

I'm thinking I will love Chiang Rai but if not, there are a bunch of other places to try.

You are not coming at the best time of year but if you can cope with CR at her worst then the rest of the year should be a breeze. Your planning sounds good and I like your wait and see attitude.
Even while you are settling in here, it might be a good idea to travel around Northern Thailand to get a feel for this part of the country. After all it isn’t the town so much which attracts us, but the nature that surrounds the town and the easy access to it.
  • Like 1

You are not coming at the best time of year but if you can cope with CR at her worst then the rest of the year should be a breeze. Your planning sounds good and I like your wait and see attitude.

Even while you are settling in here, it might be a good idea to travel around Northern Thailand to get a feel for this part of the country. After all it isnt the town so much which attracts us, but the nature that surrounds the town and the easy access to it.

I have been sitting in my house for the last 5 years basically doing nothing. I'm looking forward to floating down the Mae KoK and just cruising around. I'm too nervous to drive in Thailand though so I'll be at the mercy of others, but with Baht, many things are possible. smile.png

When I realized I was about to enter the country during the burning season, I thought I'd wait until May but then I thought, If I'm going to make the Rai my home away from home, It would be a good idea to check out the bad season before I was all settled in.

Worse case scenario, I head south for a month in August.

I appreciate the input.

krup khun mac

I've driven over most of the North and it's no more difficult than anywhere else.

The motorbikes have to be watched carefully, they tend to think road rules don't apply to them.

Of course, you would have to get used to driving on the correct side of the road. cool.png

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post Pormax. Another thing people never seem to mention, on the other end of the spectrum, is startup costs which can be quite high if you are not content to live out of your suitcase.

I agree with you. I started out in Chiang Mai and my startup costs was about 150-200k and again the amount varied depending on the lifestyle you like. It's eats into the startup and for some daunting

Here's the breakdown

Rent + 2 mths deposit 90k

House Blessing & Food 10k

Furnishing (supplementing the basic furniture in house) 23k

Wardrobe 9k

Shoe Cabinet 4k

Decor Items 3k

Writing Desk 5k

Clothes Hanger 2k

Household Stuff - 13k

Plates & Cutlery 3k @ Index

Toaster 1.2k

Water Kettle 1.5k

Rice Cooker 1.5k

Pots & Pans 3k

Grocery Stockup 5k

Car Costs - 15k

Fuel - 6k

Monthly Bank Payments - 9k

• Like 1

A teacher earns around 330,000 baht P.A.,,, allowing, they are not well paid as all teachers, it does give a basis of a middle class cost of living. So If your budget is 30,000 per month, that should provide a very reasonable life style.

You will never get savings in the bank, your own house, car, televisions, computers, cellphones, air-conditioning, oven, espresso machine, washer and dryer, pets, hobbies, holidays and medical expenses, just to mention a few things, on 30,000 a month.

If you already have all those things, or don’t want them, sure you can get by on very little.

I caution foreigners who wish to set up home here to have realistic budgets

I know there have been a lot of posts in previous postings where people are comfortable at 30k a month or less.

Standards of living need to be taken at a pinch of salt and reality checks to see if it suits you.

30k for a teacher born and bred in Thailand means a comfortable level of living.

However in most cases, the teacher already has a home, travels on a bike and knows all the local markets and eat at local stalls.

While I have lived and traveled they most parts of Asia ...I would say there is a huge difference between what's acceptable hygiene for a foreigner vs an Asian who calls this place home.

There is nothing discriminatory as I am Asian myself and I know there are places where I can eat and be merry and give the runs for my friends who are not used to this kind of cooking.

30k for a foreigner with no base here means living on very basic terms and again this is not for everyone.

If you want to factor in rental costs and bills you would pay back home like utilities, cable tv, newspaper, water. The occasional treat at a nice restaurant and living in a social environment means lots of weddings and birthdays where you pay for a small gift. They all add up.

I believe the main difference is most teachers or Thais have a job which limit their spendings as they only have 1-2 off days a week. So 30k goes a long way

If you are on retirement or living here, you have a lot of time on hand and you read all the reviews of a nice restaurant or bring your family for a movie treat etc and suddenly 60-90k seems more realistic

The add up costs of setting up a comfortable home also costs a lot depending on the designs and comforts you want ...500k-800k has also been spent by peers who want western comforts and designs in their house

Plan well as you are here to enjoy life and not get stressed

• Like 1

Indeed, and foreign pensioners arriving here, usually with fixed incomes of between 50,000 and 100,000 a month often have extra cash from the sale of a home, savings and often other income from investments.

Consider that even the average 3BR in suburban Australia sells for as much as 15,000,000 or more depending on the city and there's no reason that these people could not live extremely comfortably with reserves after setting up a household.

• Like 2

Its a contentious issue, do you move to Thailand to live a farang lifestyle, or do you move there to live like the Thai. Personally I enjoy the simple things, local market as opposed to big C, I can live without western luxuries, my only passion is fitness, as long as I can swim, I'm happy. Sometimes we get the rational wrong. When in Rome.

Cost of living to me, essentials from one month to another,, capital purchases should not be included,as they are deemed a variable cost, at the discretion of the individual.

Edited by monty9

How different is the lifestyle of a middle class Thai family and an expat these days?

The bills would be the same, car, utilities, toys like tablets and PCs, school fees...

Their diet may differ but I'd say very few of us eat the same things in the same quantities we did in our own countries.

Many Thais in our area bike, walk and run for exercise and their children play sports after school.

I suspect you would have to go well back into the mountains to find the "traditional" Thai life style these days and it would still be the rare community without a few satellite dishes.

Edited by sceadugenga

So we are in agreement Sceadugenga, that 30K Baht per month, is more ( ever so slightly ) than enough to live the life style of the middle class Thai. Anything above that is up to the individual. I think the original question didn't relate to, live's of the rich and famous, more towards the average cost of living. I chose the teachers salary to provide some clarity to the original question.

• 2 weeks later...

not this again. How long is a bit of string. SIngle quite life dont drink etc yes you can live ok for 20-30,000 baht a month. I spend around 200,000 excluding trips abroad a month and ok lets have all abuse. Seriously if you want to live western lifestyle with 2 children at international school, maid, gardener, pool and rest then youll find 200,000 a month difficult and thats without paying rent. I can just see it now rubbish your lady is fiddling you and all rest of nonsense.

Quality life

quality food and house bills (cleaning bits and rest) a month including wine around 30-40,000 and i mean quality not junk most eat

school fees for 2 including trips and all extras 50,000 a month on average and thats not best school

maid 12,000 a month yes can pay less but i believe in paying what someone is worth not what you can get away with and our maid of 8 years is worth 3-4 times that

Gardener poll maintenance and rest around 15,000 a month. I know stupid but why should i be begrudge a decent hard working person of a reasonable life with is family. Go on you cheap Charlies flame me or those so tight they think its clever to pay as little as they can. Same people who supported slavery.

2 cars (not new and no debt) and 2 motorcycles cost around 20,000 a month with petrol, insurance servicing and the rest

Electricity around 10,000 a month which is about same I would pay in uk per month for gas and electric. Ok 6 air cons.

budget (strictly kept to) for myself and my wife each 20,000 a month for our own personal expenses.

medical around 10,000 a month for insurance and cash for smaller bills.

Houes maintenance 15000 a month on average. Air cons needs replacing as do water pumps house painting and rest

Rest of 200,000 on things for house and rest

and that does not even allow for cost of 2 new car every 10 years or trips abroad

Flame away and yes i can live on 30,000 a month or less and have often done so. We have no debt and would survive quite well if need be on 30,000 or less a month but our 2 children would have to leave their school, wed have no maid , no pool , no cars, no air con.

So how long is a bit of string. Its a silly question. Sensible people live within their income and no more.