Walking In Bangkok

ProfessorFart

I go jogging around the area near Lumphni ( cant spell it ) , near Chong-Nonsi, just only in the daylight coz of those dam soi dogs......I find that just like an Australian Cattle dog, if u dont look them in the eye, the soi dogs will kind of leave u alone and continue sleeping...most of the time...

On foot is a great way to see Bangkok, u could stay in a apartment for years and not know whats around the corner.....

Many fascinating walks possible in Bkk. and environs. Walking in Chinatown is a sure way to get lost as there is so much to see in the crooked alleys, but a tuktuk can rescue you.

I live near Queen Sirikit Convention Center, so I often walk in the adjacent park, and often on into Tobacco Monopoly on my way to Sukh. soi 4.

The Bangkachao district, a peninsula formed by the loop of Chao Phraya River, is a different kind of walk. Take the #72 bus to its terminus at Wat Klongtoey Pier, just off Rama 3 Rd., catch the ferry across the river and you will be in a lovely park. This area of Bkk. is rural enough to have bicycle rickshaws.

Not far from Bkk., in Samut Prakan, is Ancient City, or Muang Borarn in Thai. This lovely, uncrowded historical park is well worth a visit and will delight any walker.

I do try to walk as often as possible but I find walking in Bangkok frustrating. Not only do we have to put up with stiffling heat in the summer months but there are also several other annoyances to contend with.

I find that the Thais are the slowest walkers in the world and they tend to be oblivious to other pedestrians around them. Every time I pass a bus stop, there will always be somebody that will block my path as I'm about to pass them. In addition to that you have taxis continually beeping their horns at you as they must think you are a lost tourist, motorcycles that use the pavement rather than the road, food stalls blocking narrow passageways, pedestrian crossings that even when the green man's flashing you still have to watch out for cars coming through red lights, poorly maintained walkways or sometimes no walkways and last but not least, rodent like soi dogs. :D

It's amazing what we can encounter on a nice leisurely stroll in Bangkok. :o

Thais seem to have a sixth sense that tells them when a faster walker is coming up from behind that allows them to veer just enough as they walk slowly along to block the way. It seems to be a Thai art form to create narrow ways where one must squeeze through, by putting anything you can think of--potted plants, signs, motorcycles, noodle stands, phone booths, campaign posters, beggars with drugged, sleeeping children, etc.--in the way. Even the dogs are good at this. That's why I walk out of necessity on the city sidewalks, and for pleasure and exercise in parks.