Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

BREAKING NEWS:

Nationwide Midnight ban on alcohol now in effect

no-alcohol.jpg

BANGKOK: -- All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

The two daily periods when alcohol for personal consumption can be sold are 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, director-general Utid Tamwatin said. These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities.

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts at 10,000 gas stations nationwide, stores in school campuses and places of religious worship, he said.

The restrictions would go into effect on January 1 and stores in the listed locations would lose their licences when they expire on December 31.

In other health-related developments, an anti-smoking campaigner ridiculed the idea of sticking cigarette displays among health drinks.

The new concept was unveiled by the 7-Eleven convenience store chain on Wednesday.

Thailand Health Promotion Foundation president Dr Hathai Chitanond said mixing cigarette packets with chicken soup concentrate or bird’s nest beverages could send the wrong message to the public that cigarettes were like any other goods.

He said they were not like normal goods that children should be allowed to see.

Disease Control Department deputy director-general Dr Narong Sahamethaphat said he believed society should judge the chain’s action, which it has yet to submit to officials for approval.

Narong said he would not comment further until after today’s meeting of a committee assigned by Public Health Minister Pinij Charusombat to look into the question of cigarette displays.

The meeting involves representatives from the police, Council of State, Attorney-General’s Office, and the Finance, Commerce and Public Health ministries. Representatives of CP Seven Eleven Plc will also be invited, Deputy Public Health Minister Anutin Charnveerakul said.

Anutin said the new display concept would later be the subject of legal interpretation.

The Thailand Health Promotion Foundation president rejected the chain’s claim that it has no intention to advertise cigarettes, saying its new concept was still against moral principles.

“Placing the packets with healthy products tells children that cigarettes are like any other goods and creates doubt in them because adults tell them it’s a harmful product that causes illness and death,” Hathai said.

“Why would stores put them together with healthy products? Kids will be confused.”

From a legal point of view, the chain’s concept is still wrong because the law says displaying products for people to see is intended for commercial gain and therefore it is advertising, he said.

Anutin said Pinij’s policy is for the ministry to “teach by example” by making its offices anti-smoking zones and placing cigarette receptacles at the entrances. These measures will later be extended to other ministries and official buildings.

--The Nation 2005-11-18

Cont'ed from here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51068

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.
Venues, does that mean bars? If so will they stop serving booze but remain open? In every zone? :D
The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts

I'm quite pleased about it really, as just earlier I was thinking I might do 'a Lampard' and give up booze for an entire year, the mini mart I can see from my balcony is my worst enemy. :o

This madcap ruling might actually turn out to be a real blessing for me. :D

I can see this being a long running topic. :D

“Placing the packets with healthy products tells children that cigarettes are like any other goods and creates doubt in them because adults tell them it’s a harmful product that causes illness and death,” Hathai said.

“Why would stores put them together with healthy products? Kids will be confused.”

From a legal point of view, the chain’s concept is still wrong because the law says displaying products for people to see is intended for commercial gain and therefore it is advertising, he said.

Hmmmm I guess self control and you don't have to buy what you see is a foreign concept. Not to mention all the labels - that say ciggies/alcohol are bad for your health. :o

BREAKING NEWS:

Midnight ban on alcohol now in effect

BANGKOK: -- All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

--The Nation 2005-11-18

It doesn't exactly say "entertainment areas" but they have worded it as "serving drinks" that covers just about every establishment that serves alcohol. :o

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal. Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place.

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

So, If I eat a "Giraffe" after midnight, I can't wash it down with a "Tiger" beer ?

Is this America all of a sudden LOL, ?

Is this like April fools day ? You can eat any animal you like, even though the rest of the world is trying to save them...... But you can't drink beer.

<deleted> is going on :o

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

Oh, this is too funny for me not to type anything..... so lets get this right .....

It's OK to eat endangered species and puppy dogs but its oh so bad to drink after midnight ?

######, I wonder if anyone would be so crazy to realise that if you can not buy it after midnight, they might actually buy it 15 mins earlier and take it home :D

Sorry, Taking my kids to the zoo in the morning to teach them some ethincs on protecting the worlds most endangered species and then I'm going to eat the F*ckers !

:o

Are they deliberately trying to destroy the tourist trade?

I think it's easy for farang to feel that every such move is directed at them but the truth of the matter is such decisions affect far more Thais than they do foreigners. These moves are directed at Thais.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this government would love to simply enact a curfew and keep people off the streets on the overnight. Knowing how unpopular such a move would be if done explicitly, the powers-that-be simply create a de facto curfew by making establishments close (entertainment venues, petrol stations, etc.) and banning the sale of refreshments past a certain hour. If people have no reason to go out because there is no longer anywhere to go, they'll stay home.

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

Last year I finished up one night drinking beer sitting at a table in a field outside Lamphun at 4 o'clock in the morning. :D

THE EXCISE DEPARTMENT WILL REDUCE HOURS IN ALCOHOL SALE

Director General of the Excise Department Mr.UTID TAMWATIN (อุทิศ ธรรมวาทิน) said he will re-adjust the hours of alcohol sale to only midnight. The new regulation will be enforced early next year.

It's got to be a joke - the guy's name is an anagram of "Aid mutant wit". :o

...Is this America all of a sudden LOL, ?...

Last time I checked you could get drinks in the US until 2 AM. In the UK however........

Yer, Thats true LOL, I was going to say something stupid about US laws being silly but I think this one is at the top of the stupid list.

Maybe it has something to do with the invisible prostitutes and oooooooo those dvd stalls that don't actually exist..... Oh well, never mind, I must go home now and eat my cat and wash it down with a nice glass of infected dirty BKK water.

Has the Government in this country really lost the plot ? Clean water would be better than fried monkey or whatever is next on their list of priorities.

I cannot think of any good reason to travel halfway around the world for a boozing holiday. There are places nearer to the UK where you can go without the cost of a ticket to Thailand.

Of all the tourists that visit Thailand, the subject of the drinking laws probably doesn't register on the radar of barely anyone. The vast majority are not 'here for the beer' and into all night drinking. If that was the case then many of the tourists attractions would go out of business.

I guess lone men do not make up a large percentage of visitors to Thailand.

Keeping booze away from the kids is a good is idea and the more 'out of sight' the more 'out of mind'.

Same for cigarettes too. However, governments keep advertising both, saying it is dangerous for health. Maybe that's not such a good idea?

Final thought, what country makes almost all its laws with tourists in mind? None I would think.

Edited by Anon999

...Is this America all of a sudden LOL, ?...

Last time I checked you could get drinks in the US until 2 AM. In the UK however........

And you can buy liquor 24 hours a day at 7-11s and 24-hour markets in most states.

My only question about this is it's effect on holiday celebrations, such as New Year's Eve. At my age, midnight is well past what I expect to by my personal "curfew" for being out and about on most nights. But a few holidays a year are an exception to that. So the clock strikes 12 on New Year's Eve, and the party's over?

Yes, I agree. I come to Thailand for the beautiful woman and friendly, gentle people. When I drink, it's like one beer per hour because I hate to be drunk. Besides, alcohol is a drug with the same effects as illegal drugs, which Thailand is very serious about prohibiting. I think this stand against alcohol is consistent with their values and is long overdue.

Love, romance and sex do not need alcohol. In fact, alcohol makes one sleepy and less able to perform sexually. The only benefit of alcohol is a lowering of inhibitions.