Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

i cant see Angels disco staying open after midnight if they cant serve booze. you get hassled if you have a practically empty glass. that means they would have to stay open from 12-2am serving soft drinks only .

the patrons would all leave when the booze stopped flowing and go to some backstreet den of intemperance.

[/quote

The wording of the edict only mentions serving of alcohol, not consumption, so I guess if you buy a few bottles at 11.55pm you can stay there drinking them till 2am?.

I can highly recommend Angeles in Phils for late night partying, went there first time last month, had a great time, going back after spending New Year in Pattaya,may go there sooner now.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

Mini Marts rebell, :o Thaskin bit off more he can chew here. 711(s) are powerful - one on every corner in most places. As I said the more they yap the less anything ever changes - I was once worried about early closing times, but I've found business carries on as usual.

BKK - not shi*e hole places either!!! :D

"The two daily periods when alcohol for personal consumption can be sold are 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, director-general Utid Tamwatin said. These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities."

I can maybe live with the midnight limit but not being able to have a cold beer on the beach in the afternoon is just stupid. :o

i cant see Angels disco staying open after midnight if they cant serve booze. you get hassled if you have a practically empty glass. that means they would have to stay open from 12-2am serving soft drinks only .

the patrons would all leave when the booze stopped flowing and go to some backstreet den of intemperance.

[/quote

The wording of the edict only mentions serving of alcohol, not consumption, so I guess if you buy a few bottles at 11.55pm you can stay there drinking them till 2am?.

I can highly recommend Angeles in Phils for late night partying, went there first time last month, had a great time, going back after spending New Year in Pattaya,may go there sooner now.

somehow i cannot see the management of Angels allowing all the customers to sit there from 12-2am just lingering over their drinks they bought earlier on.

in general patrons dont arrive till late on (10) .so that gives them only a few hours to generate sales. whereas bars outside will have been rocking from 7-8pm.

there is a lot of pressure in the disco to buy plenty .

prices of drinks would have to rocket to make a profit.

"The two daily periods when alcohol for personal consumption can be sold are 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, director-general Utid Tamwatin said. These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities."

I can maybe live with the midnight limit but not being able to have a cold beer on the beach in the afternoon is just stupid.  :o

you see this restriction is realy aimed at thais who are slaughtering their livers on the whiskey ,but it just happens to impact on tourists as well.

maybe they want to see the backs of westerners and replace them with tea drinking chinese.

of course thai livers have precedence over farang livers .

If this is aimed at thai's I cant see how it will effect them in Isaan anyway as when i stay with the inlaws they get up at 5 am and are drinking Lao Kaow by 9am and are all asleep by 9pm and how the hel_l you gonna get the local village shop to stop selling it when its the thing that makes them the most money

:D
I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

Maybe it's just me - but so what? Are we all so pathetic that this is major news? Are we all so dependent on alcohol? Are we all that sad? No? Just me then ...!!

I totally agree with you, dude. Did those of us who moved here voluntarily seriously do so just to be able to drink 24/7? I'm a very hard partier when I want to be, but retired here because of the climate, the people, the culture, and the tremendous business opportunities available, not because I could get shitfaced at 3 in the afternoon, or drink until 6am. I buy and sell real estate, and have been saying for some time that the "sleazier" bits of the big tourist areas will continue to shrink and/or be more-heavily regulated. The same thing happened to Koh Samui in the last 15 or so years. First time I went there, it was cheap accomodation and beer bars everywhere. Over the years, however, these places, and the crappy infrastructure of the island in general, slowly disappeared and was replaced by higher-priced resorts catering to couples with money to burn (DINKs: double income, no kids), families with kids, and older tourists with money, which is fine with me. I'd rather do business with these people than with the drunken sleaze mongers that give foreigners a bad name. I do feel sorry for the Thai bar owners who are trying to eek out an existence, but otherwise WHO CARES????

Pattaya is still open 24/7, go-go bars stay open til 3, and there are plenty of places to get a drink after 1:00. All in all, it's just giving the police a little extra money to make up for their shit salaries.

Taking the "Self Centered form of analysis" to this new law, I can say it his has little to no direct impact on my life........ I am early to retire and early to rise type of person, so the midnight curfew is no issue. Now, banning the sales of beer at my local mini-mart will force me to go to a Big-C or Carrefore earlier in the day to stock my fridge, rather than jump on the Honda and grab a few bottles of beer for my after dinner relaxation.

Now as for the tourist, well if you haven't scored by mid-night the government just probably did you a favor! This lessens the chance of waking to the "Coyote Ugly" girl of your nightmares....... :o

Welcome to the world of binge drinking, puking, fighting, town centre war zone Thailand, people!

It took endless numbskulled governments in the UK to realise that 24 hour drinking was the solution to binge drinking and all the ills which come with it. Thai town centres will become like UK town centres have been in the past. Drinking joints full of folks ramming as much ale down their necks as possible after a hard week at work and then all being chucked out into a melee at midnight..........

I'll stick my neck out now and make 3 predictions for one year down the line.

1) Drink Driving deaths will increase not decrease.

2) Alcohol related domestic problems will increase.

3) Alcohol social order problems will increase.

I for one can not believe that anyone can be so imbecilic as to think this will have no impact on tourism.

Every tourist who arrives in Thailand is not a belly slapping lager lout, and I would wager that the majority of the under 40 year old age group drink after 12 midnight at home regularly and will look to do so whilst on holiday. Not every potential tourist has the same affinity for Thailand as members of this forum. For some it is merely a choice of holiday destination. When they read that there is a 12 midnight closedown in effect, many will just keep thumbing through the brochures past the Thailand pages.

My third concern is where will it all end and how will it all end? One hour's legal drinking on the seventh sunday of septegusima each year? This is going to have a big effect on Thailand's economy and no mistake...... all for the image of a handful of politicians.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Maybe it's just me - but so what? Are we all so pathetic that this is major news? Are we all so dependent on alcohol? Are we all that sad? No? Just me then ...!!

I totally agree with you, dude. Did those of us who moved here voluntarily seriously do so just to be able to drink 24/7?

The laws that are being talked about won't stop you from drinking 24/7. They WILL stop a holidaying couple from going out for an occasional late meal accompanied by a few glasses of wine if that meal lasts past midnight.

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the FREE)?

Or was it to live in a land where you're just another sheeple? :D:D:D

Edited by endure

The laws that are being talked about won't stop you from drinking 24/7. They WILL stop a holidaying couple from going out for an occasional late meal accompanied by a few glasses of wine if that meal lasts past midnight.

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the free)?

Quite brilliantly put Endure!

I totally agree with you, dude. Did those of us who moved here voluntarily seriously do so just to be able to drink 24/7?

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the FREE)?

Or was it to live in a land where you're just another sheeple? :D:D:D

I moved here for the reasons I already mentioned. If I can't get a drink after midnight, I'm not about to pack it in. Also, I moved here after 15 years of living in Japan. You want to talk about Draconian, not to mention arbitrarily imposed, laws and punishments???!!!! Japan takes the cake.

I also was tired of all the bureaucratic bullshit associated with working not only in Japan, but also in the banking industry. I retired at 39 and moved to Thailand, have my own business, a new car, a work permit, a non-immigrant "B" visa, and 20,000,000 baht worth of property, and I achieved all this legally and in less than 2 years. Bitch all you want about the "comical" transgressions of the government, but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life (can you claim the same, endure?). Fewer drunken, puking, fighting idiots who choose not to come here is just fine with me. :D