Midnight Ban On Alcohol Now In Effect

george

This is just as stupid as trying to lower fuel consumption by closing service station earlier. If you need fuel (alcohol) you buy it when it's available but in larger quantities.

These new limits will only lead to:

Binge drinking that will result in social order problems at closing time, increased alcohol consumption and domestic violence.

More drinking at home at cheaper prices will increase the alcohol consumption and social order problems and domestic violence.

Job losses in tourist/service industries will lead to drinking problems that will lead to increased alcohol consumption, social order problems and domestic violence.

As there are no time limits on drug trading and as partying will have to move to unsuperviced locations such as private homes and hotel rooms the drug problem will increase.

The loss of tourists will cause large losses in revenues for the government and everyone involved in the industry.

The shift to drinking in private will also cause large losses in revenues for the government.

End result: higher alcohol consumption, more social order problems, more domestic violence, less tax revenues.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to get around this problem:

Buy/drink a bottle of whiskey and mixers instead of beer or other single beverage drinks.

The law says they can't SELL alcohol after 12, not that you can't DRINK.

If you've already had the bottle delivered to your table you won't even notice they changed the selling times.

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the FREE)?

Actually, I came here for work, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one. The government in my own country, and the amount of "sanook" (which is not unique to Thailand) here didn't even figure into the equations. Money did, though....

And what do you mean about "a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes"?? - The ruling class in Thailand rule supreme, and the poor are terrified of crossing them. The rich are above the law; in fact they are the law. So when you call it the land of the free, keep in mind that Thailand is the land of the free for just a very small elite, who is making it their mission to screw the masses for every baht they have, no matter what.

Getting back on topic - I strongly suspect this is just another smokescreen from the government, trying to get back at 7-11 for standing up to them on cigarette advertising/displays, and getting the focus off the Egat fiasco.

I still can't find anything to verify this story elsewhere, does anyone actually know anything about this for a fact. Come on bar owners, whats happening here?

Everyone here seems just to be responding to the original thread, is there anyone actually in Thailand now?, surely it must big news and a major talking point in the bars for the past few days.

Edited by PanzerJohn

I don't understand why there are so many people here saying things like 'I came here because of .....and not for the beer'

What has that got to do with any of this?

The real concerns here are not why you are here but how it affects one of Thailand's biggest earners - Tourism, and the effects on Thai society.

Are they deliberately trying to destroy the tourist trade?

I think it's easy for farang to feel that every such move is directed at them but the truth of the matter is such decisions affect far more Thais than they do foreigners. These moves are directed at Thais.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this government would love to simply enact a curfew and keep people off the streets on the overnight. Knowing how unpopular such a move would be if done explicitly, the powers-that-be simply create a de facto curfew by making establishments close (entertainment venues, petrol stations, etc.) and banning the sale of refreshments past a certain hour. If people have no reason to go out because there is no longer anywhere to go, they'll stay home.

Ovenman, you might have something there. It does seem that everything they've been trying to enact over the last year or two has been centered around curfew-laden ideas. What do you suppose they're up to? WHY do they want to keep people off the streets? And if this will affect the good lives of so many good Thais, then why in heck aren't they rioting in the streets?

The easiest way to get around this problem:

Buy/drink a bottle of whiskey and mixers instead of beer or other single beverage drinks.

The law says they can't SELL alcohol after 12, not that you can't DRINK.

If you've already had the bottle delivered to your table you won't even notice they changed the selling times.

Or ..... just sell the NON-alcoholic ice & others belonging to it for a high price and give the whiskey for free ....... :o

I really can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Why did you move to Thailand? Wasn't it to escape the stultifying dead hand of government control in your own country? Wasn't it to live in a country where, regardless of the fact that it's been a military dictatorship for the past 70 years, sanuk still ruled the roost? Wasn't it to live in a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes? Wasn't it to live in THAILAND (the land of the FREE)?

Actually, I came here for work, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one. The government in my own country, and the amount of "sanook" (which is not unique to Thailand) here didn't even figure into the equations. Money did, though....

And what do you mean about "a country where the populace still cocked a snook at the ruling classes"?? - The ruling class in Thailand rule supreme, and the poor are terrified of crossing them. The rich are above the law; in fact they are the law. So when you call it the land of the free, keep in mind that Thailand is the land of the free for just a very small elite, who is making it their mission to screw the masses for every baht they have, no matter what.

Getting back on topic - I strongly suspect this is just another smokescreen from the government, trying to get back at 7-11 for standing up to them on cigarette advertising/displays, and getting the focus off the Egat fiasco.

"Getting back on topic - I strongly suspect this is just another smokescreen from the government, trying to get back at 7-11 for standing up to them on cigarette advertising/displays",

Unikely, as CP group of companies(owners of 7/11) is one of TRT biggest donators,and also partner with Shinawatra UBC.

Thats why the 2-5pm ban has not affected them so far.

Edited by bartender100

:D
I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

:o Nah will always be places - same shi*e different day.

Maybe it's just me - but so what? Are we all so pathetic that this is major news? Are we all so dependent on alcohol? Are we all that sad? No? Just me then ...!!

I totally agree with you, dude. Did those of us who moved here voluntarily seriously do so just to be able to drink 24/7?

The laws that are being talked about won't stop you from drinking 24/7. They WILL stop a holidaying couple from going out for an occasional late meal accompanied by a few glasses of wine if that meal lasts past midnight.

Or was it to live in a land where you're just another sheeple? :D:D:D

I moved here for the reasons I already mentioned. If I can't get a drink after midnight, I'm not about to pack it in. Also, I moved here after 15 years of living in Japan. You want to talk about Draconian, not to mention arbitrarily imposed, laws and punishments???!!!! Japan takes the cake.

I also was tired of all the bureaucratic bullshit associated with working not only in Japan, but also in the banking industry. I retired at 39 and moved to Thailand, have my own business, a new car, a work permit, a non-immigrant "B" visa, and 20,000,000 baht worth of property, and I achieved all this legally and in less than 2 years. Bitch all you want about the "comical" transgressions of the government, but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life (can you claim the same, endure?). Fewer drunken, puking, fighting idiots who choose not to come here is just fine with me. :D

Golly, Freedpat, you're so sa-mart it's odd that you've entirely lost the plot: that the Thailand which Endure describes is becoming too much like the Japan you hated.

Now i'm going to do you a favor you don't deserve by teling you this: when you publicly brag about your accomplishments and wealth, you make yourself look quite moronic to those of us who are much wealthier and more accomplished --- ie, your superiors on the very scale you endorse.

If this media reported change in the law really does apply to bars, restaurants and entertainment venues, why did the article not focus on the potential outcry such a change would provoke?

A huge story there I would have thought, yet the emphasis seems to be more on the likes of 7-11.

Shoddy journalism perhaps? :o

Edited by Noel

Well I for one wish they had of re-inforced this in Samui last night. It would have meant that I didnt go out dancing till 4am this morning (I wasnt drinking - but the beers were certainly flowing for the guys I was with) :o Then I wouldnt be sat here at work feeling like my death warmed up :D

I want to go home :D

Went to Makro yesterday and they wouldn't sell me a bottle of wine because it was 4:40pm.  If I wanted the wine I would have to wait the 20 minutes or buy 10 litres.

REVOLT! REVOLT! REVOLT!  Out with the old ways!  Down with the elitists!

The 2-5 pm ban isn't new, it was introduced at least a year ago. And it was certainly enforced by Tops, Lotus, Big C, Carrefour and 7-11, but I'm not sure if it applied to bars and restaurants.

I've never seen the point in this regulation, since a serious drinker will know the law and stock up on drinks before 2 to "bypass that dry season", so it won't keep them from getting drunk. For occasional consumers like myself it's just annoying to have to wait until 5 or buy 10 liters of whatever kind of booze.

I wish I could read the gov's mind...

As a local worker, I prefer to decide how late I should be able to stay out drinking on a weekend by myself. This movement towards prohibition really does take the cake for stupidity (along with the wildlife buffet). I feel like I'm entering "Bizarro World" when I read Thai news these days.

"Steven"

“Placing the packets with healthy products tells children that cigarettes are like any other goods and creates doubt in them because adults tell them it’s a harmful product that causes illness and death,” Hathai said.

Instant soups, sweets and other products in 7/11 aren't exactly "healthy", either, but this seems to have escaped the minister.

Article is in today's 'The Nation' online edition under National news...

Could someone tell me exactly which 'endangered species' will be served?

Croc's, cats, dogs, zebras and giraffs aren't on any lists I've seen...

When I was a drunk I never had a problem making certain that I had booze on hand... If you can't plan 24 hours ahead then you probably should quit.

Tip for the brain damaged: Metal hip flasks are a safe way to carry spirits.

Furthermore, however ill conceived, I think this law is aimed at Thai's and not Foreingers and will have little affect upon their habits.

I personally hope it will reduce the number of drunk drivers... but that is merely my hope and not neccessarily my expectation.

Are they deliberately trying to destroy the tourist trade?

I think it's easy for farang to feel that every such move is directed at them but the truth of the matter is such decisions affect far more Thais than they do foreigners. These moves are directed at Thais.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this government would love to simply enact a curfew and keep people off the streets on the overnight. Knowing how unpopular such a move would be if done explicitly, the powers-that-be simply create a de facto curfew by making establishments close (entertainment venues, petrol stations, etc.) and banning the sale of refreshments past a certain hour. If people have no reason to go out because there is no longer anywhere to go, they'll stay home.

You sure this isn't one of the monthly threads already published. Ovenman you are very correct in my mind, Thai's seem not to even got out until 10:00 P.M.

As everyone pointed out nothing is going to happen anyway. But the thought process of changing one of the aspects that make it so nice to live here is an effort to limit freedoms. I really very seldom drink, so personally what time I can have those drinks doesn't matter much to me. But it does matter that to me that someone who wants to be out playing late at night can't. Because where is the next step going to go.

You know for a country where saving face means so much, you would think these guys would eventually be embarrassed about establishing laws they know won't be enforced. If I was a cop here I would be delighted just got another pay raise.

Wait a minute mayvbe thats it the cop get the law passed for a better income :o:D:D:D

I dont think it will effect the tourist trade a great deal.  Sure some people will not come here because of the drinking laws but the families that come over here every year will still come, maybe more if Thailand is seen as less of a nightime entertainment place. 

On the other hand the guys that come here for the women will still be able to get their women, just off to the hotel a little earlier.

I didn't notice a significant decrease in the tourist trade when the all night drinking venues all had to shut down at 2am, and then later in certain areas at 1am.

I dont think it affected the tourism revenue at all in fact.

You've obviously not been UPcountry (as opposed to DOWNcountry)

It definitely had an effect here in the North - one that only started to reverse after the tsunami, but is still being felt even after that event.

Considering the dating of the edict - last night was a total sham - cops at every street corner in Chiangmai until 1am directing traffic because of the Ly Kratong parade - often standing outside open boozeries - popping in for the odd rehydrator and making no effort to halt the sanuk.

It's not just the entertainment industry that doesn't want this, the people don't want it, and the cops don't want it - it puts all the drunks on the street within too short a space of time - leading to increased RTA's and brawling etc. - that increases their workload at an anti-social hour of the day (meaning more of them will be allocated night shifts). It also increases the pressure on both the hospital-maintained and the voluntary ambulance services - both of which are arguably over-stretched and under-funded already.

But then .... as my Mum always told me - if you're not in bed by midnight - come home!

At least by specifying opening times as well as closing times the authorities have closed the loophole where the bar closed at midnight and then opened for the next day's business at 1 minute past midnight.

One might wonder about the effect of midnight closing on the tourist trade. My own feelings, living as do near Pattaya, is that no tourist in their right mind should be out and about after midnight for their own safety in such a wicked town. Other smaller resorts will probably suffer a little but as 'family' resorts they may already find that it is very quiet after midnight and so may not see any difference.

Closing at midnight will mean that 'ransoms' will be at an acceptable level by that time so 'jack out on the spree' can make his way back to his hotel earlier with his chosen partner for the night and break into the stock he had stashed there earlier in the day :o

It will be like every other law in Thailand. It's not the law itself - it's enforcing it fairly that will count.

People who enjoy a tipple will wake up on New Year's Day to find no alcoholic drinks on sale in shops at petrol stations or near schools and temples.

Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya has launched a tougher law to ban sales of alcohol in these places and reduce the sales time to only 10 hours a day in a fresh effort to control alcohol consumption, Excise Department director Uthit Thammawathin said yesterday.

The consumption of alcohol is seen as a major cause of violence and accidents nationwide.

bangkok post online

The law, which will take effect on Jan 1, will allow for the sale of alcoholic drinks only between 11am and 2pm, and 5pm and midnight, he said.

Shops will not be allowed to sell alcohol to teenagers under 18 years old.

According to the department, up to 585,200 outlets allowed to sell alcohol will see their licences expire at the end of this year.

Among them are those selling alcoholic drinks in nearly 10,000 petrol stations nationwide.

Mr Uthit said the law would reduce excise tax collection by about 10-20%, but his department would compensate for the loss by making its collection more efficient.

[These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities.

Just exactly how much do I have to drink in order for it to be regarded as wholesale ?? :o

I think I saw a sign in Big C saying 10 litres.

1 case of 24 x 330ml cans is 7.9 litres.

So I am free to buy 2 cases outwith the curfew ? Am I correct ?

People who enjoy a tipple will wake up on New Year's Day to find no alcoholic drinks on sale in shops at petrol stations or near schools and temples.

Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya has launched a tougher law to ban sales of alcohol in these places and reduce the sales time to only 10 hours a day in a fresh effort to control alcohol consumption, Excise Department director Uthit Thammawathin said yesterday.

The consumption of alcohol is seen as a major cause of violence and accidents nationwide.

bangkok post online

The law, which will take effect on Jan 1, will allow for the sale of alcoholic drinks only between 11am and 2pm, and 5pm and midnight, he said.

Shops will not be allowed to sell alcohol to teenagers under 18 years old.

According to the department, up to 585,200 outlets allowed to sell alcohol will see their licences expire at the end of this year.

Among them are those selling alcoholic drinks in nearly 10,000 petrol stations nationwide.

Mr Uthit said the law would reduce excise tax collection by about 10-20%, but his department would compensate for the loss by making its collection more efficient.

Hmm, again no mention of bars, restaurants or entertainment venues...