Thai Consulate In Vientiane, Lao ?

rexall

Fri 18 Nov 05, 10:34 a.m.

Hi All,

I hope to apply for a "O" visa at the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, Lao. Does anyone have any personal experience in dealing with that consulate? I just read the following on another board. It sounds terrible ==> :o Can anyone confirm?

"I arrived [Thai Consulate, Vientiane]  at around 10 am, to find the consulate courtyard/garden with about 250 people in there, mostly Lao. There was absolutely no queuing system in place and nobody seemed to have a clue about what was going on, as no official from the consulate was even present. After 2 hours in the baking sun, a bloke appears and tells us to go away and come back the following day, as they weren’t processing any more applications. I decided never to go near that place again and just kept on doing the 30 day visa runs across the bridge instead, until my trip to Singapore last month."

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

I have been to Vientiane for a visa several times over the last 3 or 4 years and I've never had a problem. However, I learned early on that you need to be at the visa office EARLY! They seem to have a quota each day. You line up and get a number and they process the applications in number order. Once the woman at the gate runs out of numbers, she shuts down and anyone who has not received a tag is told to come back the next day. If you get up and go there by about 8 or 8:30, you should be back to your hotel in time for a late breakfast.