Retirement Visa: Nong Kai Vs. Bangkok?

rexall

Fri 18 Nov 05, 10:45 a.m.

Good morning, all,

Please excuse is some of these questions are "perennial" and covered elsewhere. I am especially interested in your experiences in dealing with Immigration in Nong Kai compared to Bangers or wherever, especially regarding applications for retirement visas . . . as well as Vientiane (considering that it is closest to where I live) for the "O" Visa compared to Penang or wherever.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

(1) Has anyone gotten an "O" visa from the Thai consulate in Vientiane? Easy? No problems?

(2) Do I assume correctly that they are only issuing single-entry 90 day visas these days?

(3) Do I also assume correctly that a single entry is no problem if my intention is to apply for a retirement visa?

(4) Will a retirement visa eliminate the need to visa run every 90 days?

(5) Are there any agents around here (Khon Kaen, Udon, Nong Kai) that can help with the paperwork?

(6) Anyone have experience dealing with Nong Kai Immigration as opposed to Bangkok? Would there be any point in NOT using Nong Kai to apply for a retirement visa if that is an option over Bangkok?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Aloha,

Rex

Fri 18 Nov 05,  10:45 a.m.

Good morning, all,

Please excuse is some of these questions are "perennial" and covered elsewhere.  I am especially interested in your experiences in dealing with Immigration in Nong Kai compared to Bangers or wherever, especially regarding applications for retirement visas . . . as well as Vientiane (considering that it is closest to where I live) for the "O" Visa compared to Penang or wherever.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

(1) Has anyone gotten an "O" visa from the Thai consulate in  Vientiane?  Easy?  No problems? 

(2)  Do I assume correctly that they are only issuing single-entry 90 day visas these days?

(3) Do I also assume correctly that a single entry is no problem if my intention is to apply for a retirement visa?

(4)  Will a retirement visa eliminate the need to visa run every 90 days?

(5)  Are there any agents around here (Khon Kaen, Udon, Nong Kai) that can help with the paperwork?

(6)  Anyone have experience dealing with Nong Kai Immigration as opposed to Bangkok?  Would there be any point in NOT using Nong Kai to apply for a retirement visa if that is an option over Bangkok?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Aloha,

Rex

Ok Here's the best I can tell you.

1) Getting the 0 visa is not a problem as long as you can show proof of income and or savings equalling 800,000 baht per year. They like to see a reasonable local bank account but it is not absolutely necessaary as long as you meet the income requirments.

2) As of my last trip over they were only issuing single entry.

3) Same as #1

4) The "R" will eliminate the visa run but you will have to get stamped every 90 days at immigration..

5) Outside the embassie in Vien Tienne there are agents who will fill out the paperwork. There are none on this side as far as I know.

6) Nong Khai immigration operates on it's own set of rules. They say you have to have both 800,000 baht in the bank plus an income of 800,000 baht. This is not the law thyo. The law requires any combination of savings and income totaling 800,000 baht. Don't bother trying to point this out to Nong Khai immigration. They really dont care. Go to Bankok where they apply the law properly. As I understand it getting the 90 day stamp after you have the R will be no problem at Nong Khai .

I hope this helps a little.

<snip> They really dont care. Go to Bankok where they apply the law properly. As I understand it getting the 90 day stamp after you have the R will be no problem at Nong Khai .  I hope this helps a little.

Hi Mikey,

Thanks a million! Assuming your report is accurate, it helpsa lot! And the information has not been easy to come by. I sure don't relish a trip to Bangers. On the other hand, as I live in KKC and don't drive, I don't relish a frustrating, embarrassing, wasted trip to Nong Khai either!

Can anyone confirm Mikey's report?

Aloha,

Rex

No waiting period. And to the other about starting in home country- the ) is the start for the R. Good luck

Mikey,

I think we are confusing people here. Info I obtained subsequent to posting my questions is that there is a waiting period; if you are already in LOS on an "O" visa, you must wait until 30 days prior to expiration before applying for the "R" extension.

Also, this is the first time I have ever heard that you are required to be in your home country to apply for a retirement visa. Maybe is just confusion over the terminology?

Aloha,

Rex

You do have to be in your home or country of official residence to apply for an O-A full year long stay visa for retirement. But that is not what you are talking about.

What you can usually do at other Consulates is state your case for retirement and obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa that you extend in Thailand on the basis of retirement (which is what you are talking about). As for Vientiane if you are in the area go ahead and give it a try, taking proof of finance, and request an O visa. If no luck you can also try Savannakhet or take the sure route to Penang.

Hello,

I got a one year multiple entry visa when in the states, and went out for one last trip just before one year. This extended me to 15 months. I applied for the retirement visa in Bangkok in the last month. Had to sit in line for awhile, but when I was called I had the visa in 20 minutes. Also, all I needed was one set of materials, as opposed to 2 or 3 sets elsewhere. Very efficient if you have all the required documents.

It was a different story for my family. They applied for the extension, based on my having the retirement visa, in Mukdahan. There was more of a hassle with the application taking two hours. Also, there was no one day processing, and they were given a 30 day stamp to return again next month. So, that means at least two trips (or more if the visas are not ready and approved in Bangkok during the 30 days).

So, take your pick. A one day trip to Bangkok (if you fly in early and leave late) where you get the visa all done in one day. OR at least two trips to Mukdahan or Nong Khai, one to apply and one (or more) to go back and get the retirement stamp after approval in Bangkod.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to follow up on the earlier post asking about having to make a visa run every 90-days once one has obtained the one-year retirement visa.

I have this retirement visa along with a multiple re-entry permit, and am on my second annual extension now. I have to travel quite a bit away from Thailand so I have never had to face the need to go into an Immigration Office to get stamped every 90-days....since I have been able to collect a new visa stamp before the 90 days have elapsed.

But what I need advice on is this: what happens if I don't have a trip outside of Thailand in the 90-days from the latest stamp in my passport? What is the procedure for going to get my passport re-stamped? Specifically I live in Chiang Mai and foresee the need to renew my 90-day stamp soon...as I have no trips scheduled which would normally solve that problem. Can I mail a form into Immigration or do I have to personally report? Thanks.

I'd like to follow up on the earlier post asking about having to make a visa run every 90-days once one has obtained the one-year retirement visa.

I have this retirement visa along with a multiple re-entry permit, and am on my second annual extension now.  I have to travel quite a bit away from Thailand so I have never had to face the need to go into an Immigration Office to get stamped every 90-days....since I have been able to collect a new visa stamp before the 90 days have elapsed. 

But what I need advice on is this:  what happens if I don't have a trip outside of Thailand in the 90-days from the latest stamp in my passport?  What is the procedure for going to get my passport re-stamped?  Specifically I live in Chiang Mai and foresee the need to renew my 90-day stamp soon...as I have no trips scheduled which would normally solve that problem.  Can I mail a form into Immigration or do I have to personally report?  Thanks.

..you can mail in the form every 90 days, include a self addressed, stamped envelope so they can sign the bottom of the form and send it back to you. If you don't have the form pm me and I will forward one to you.

..you can mail in the form every 90

That is what I hear also, JR. But are you sure you do not need fill out the form in their presences one time to get the ball rolling? Especially if you have never reported because you were fulling that requirement by travel?

My information is about Nong Khai, would the mail-in option apply to all the Immigrations offices?

Can you mix traveling outside LOS with reporting? In other words if you travel outside of LOS, at say 100 days, do you just go back to reporting at 180 days or does that bump it up to 190 days?

Also, I heard that you have to appear within a certain time window, and that if it is too early, they (Nong Khai) may send you away to come back at the proper date. Would that window apply to mailing the form as well?

Also, would recommend saving photocopies of the forms and spending the few extra baht to send EMS. What I have heard about Nong Khai is that they are very kind, but also very fussy and strict when you do not carefully follow procedures.

Comments?

Aloha,

Rex

..you can mail in the form every 90

That is what I hear also, JR. But are you sure you do not need fill out the form in their presences one time to get the ball rolling? Especially if you have never reported because you were fulling that requirement by travel?

My information is about Nong Khai, would the mail-in option apply to all the Immigrations offices?

Can you mix traveling outside LOS with reporting? In other words if you travel outside of LOS, at say 100 days, do you just go back to reporting at 180 days or does that bump it up to 190 days?

Also, I heard that you have to appear within a certain time window, and that if it is too early, they (Nong Khai) may send you away to come back at the proper date. Would that window apply to mailing the form as well?

Also, would recommend saving photocopies of the forms and spending the few extra baht to send EMS. What I have heard about Nong Khai is that they are very kind, but also very fussy and strict when you do not carefully follow procedures.

Comments?

Aloha,

Rex

yes Rex, you are probably right about establishing yourself first and afterwards sending it in every three months via ems both ways. Of course one can assume that every immigration office sets their own rules and standards. Sorry can't help on the other issues.

[Regarding where to apply for retirement visa] So, take your pick.  A one day trip to Bangkok . . . where you get the visa all done in one day.  OR at least two trips to Mukdahan or Nong Khai, one to apply and one (or more) to go back and get the retirement stamp after approval in Bangkok.

Thanks for this Isaan Sam! But now I am confused. :o I was told by a reliable source that I once I have my "O", I would have to make two trips to Bangkok Immigration; the second one 30 days after the initial application to pick up completed visa or stamp or whatever.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

I will not pretend to give rules and regulations regarding the "O" visa but will comment on some of the replies in this thread that leave me confused about what is and isn't happening at Nong Khai.

Firstly I have been using that office for 5 years now and am staying in Thailand on a retirement extension. The requirements for income are not duplicated as someone mentions earlier in this thread and is perhaps some kind of misunderstanding which is quite easy to do. I am only required to show proof of income from the US Embassy and a copy of my deposits and bank book with a certifying letter from Bangkok Bank showing my last years history. I do not have to prove any amount of money in the bank at all, only the two items mentioned, which comply with the requirements.

In addition they now have the authority to approve in Nong Khai (rather than send to BKK for approval) the support thai wife or retirement visa and if the paper work is in order it is a very painless and quick process. I think it took about 10 minutes last time.

I find the Nong Khai office to be very professional and helpful in identifying what needs to be done to deal with any requests that I have made.

Concerning the 90 day Address Notification (I think that is what is being referred to in this thread) you can complete the form off site or download it from their website and either take it into the office or complete it and forward with proper attachments by mail with a return addressed prepaid stamped envelope. The time frame that they have advised me that is acceptable is up to one week before the due date stamped on the last notification, or 1 week after. I do not recommend trying to do it after the due date since it is something that can be mis interpreted by individual officers, but policy for Nong Khai is one week before or after.

I only offer these comments to try to help clear up some of what I became confused about in reading the thread and do hope it helps someone.