I Have The Land - How Much For A House

krobert6

My wife to be has land near Yonok and I will be going back in a few months to talk about building a house.

She tells me that 600,000 Baht with get the house she wants, is that realistic?

She wants 3 bedroom with 1 toilet, I would prefer 2 toilets.. High roof and now zircon but with water filtration system?

My wife to be has land near Yonok and I will be going back in a few months to talk about building a house.

She tells me that 600,000 Baht with get the house she wants, is that realistic?

She wants 3 bedroom with 1 toilet, I would prefer 2 toilets.. High roof and now zircon but with water filtration system?

Depending on the size and materials 600k can easily cover materials. Water filtration systems here are not expensive at all.

Builders are currently quoting 8-10k per sqr mtr, including labour. A budget of 600k will therefore buy a house of around 60 sq mtr. This will be very cramped for a 3 bed house, presumably plus living room etc.

A decent sized 3 bed house will probably be over 100 sq mtr - over 1 million baht including labour.

Builders are currently quoting 8-10k per sqr mtr, including labour. A budget of 600k will therefore buy a house of around 60 sq mtr. This will be very cramped for a 3 bed house, presumably plus living room etc.

A decent sized 3 bed house will probably be over 100 sq mtr - over 1 million baht including labour.

Yeh, but you are a white guy.

Local Thais get quoted half what you are quoted.

The finished price (includes all fitting, tiles, sanitary ware etc) can be a long way away from the builders quote for unfinished, depending on personal tastes/ability to buy inexpensively, the difference could easily be the same again. We manged 83square meters unfinished for 400k but the finished price was closer to 700k.

Edited by chiang mai

Yeh, but you are a white guy.

Local Thais get quoted half what you are quoted.

Yes I'm white, but the quotes I am referring to were given to a Thai in the last 6 weeks. Also my FIL is a builder so he has a pretty good understanding of the market. And no, this isn't a veiled offering of services to OP.

The finished price (includes all fitting, tiles, sanitary ware etc) can be a long way away from the builders quote for unfinished, depending on personal tastes/ability to buy inexpensively, the difference could easily be the same again. We manged 83square meters unfinished for 400k but the finished price was closer to 700k.

So your finished priced was near the quote range I quoted earlier, slightly lower :-)

So your finished priced was near the quote range I quoted earlier, slightly lower :-)

Yes, but my figures are from seven years ago :(

I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two figures and have no idea what current costs might be.

Edited by chiang mai

Yes, but my figures are from seven years ago :(

Also I'm not sure about any price differential between CM (where I'm assuming you live) and the north of CR province where I think OP lives. Anyway I`m sure OP has enough input collectively now. Have a good evening, I`m off to the klong to float my kratong.

Sorry, forgot to add, the house we built was in Sukhothai province, three and a half hours south of CM by road. As I recall the local builders fee was 120k and we bought all the materials, sometimes via our builder and some times direct from different suppliers. Despite having a plan we were sadly unable to get the builder to follow it, local builders will build what they know unless you stay on top of them every single day - having said those things, it all worked out well in the end but it was a much harder ride than anticipated.

;) 600000 wont get you much . bigger is better in thailand 3 bedrooms and one toilet sounds a bit cramped .sounds like a basic thai house i am spending 3000000 on a house in hat yai . 5 bedrooms 5 toilets lounge two kitchens one in one outside large entrance hallway . ducted air/con western electral fittings two car garage security system electrlc gates. marble floors . james hat yai

If you can, I would add to the budget for a water tank/pump system. The water pressure around there can be a bit 'hit and miss' sometimes :)

The things that will increase the budget are the finishings (as others have mentioned) floor tiles, nice doors and windows, rendering, bathroom fittings, extra electrics/lighting, aircon (if you want/need it) etc.

You will need to see exactly what you will be getting for the 600K and then take it from there.

By way of comparison, we bought our standard Thai style 2 bed single storey house, 1 bathroom, 1 Thai kitchen, just down the road from Yonok, for ฿335,000

We then added floor tiles, new doors, concrete driveway etc.

If you can, I would add to the budget for a water tank/pump system. The water pressure around there can be a bit 'hit and miss' sometimes :)

The things that will increase the budget are the finishings (as others have mentioned) floor tiles, nice doors and windows, rendering, bathroom fittings, extra electrics/lighting, aircon (if you want/need it) etc.

You will need to see exactly what you will be getting for the 600K and then take it from there.

By way of comparison, we bought our standard Thai style 2 bed single storey house, 1 bathroom, 1 Thai kitchen, just down the road from Yonok, for ฿335,000

We then added floor tiles, new doors, concrete driveway etc.

Wowww, would love to see a picture of it

It's nothing special really, this is what it looked like before we bought it...

post-86914-0-81148600-1321040366_thumb.j

then we built up the land a bit...

post-86914-0-48854500-1321040271_thumb.j

post-86914-0-03442000-1321040266_thumb.j

Cleared the front...

post-86914-0-70801900-1321040260_thumb.j

and tiled it...

post-86914-0-98453200-1321040285_thumb.j

We've since concreted the driveway, but I can't find any photos of that, as the in-laws decided to do it the day before our wedding, so it all got mixed up with the wedding photos :lol:

Oh and we built a wall around the three sides that didn't have one, to keep the dogs in.

As for building costs, I can't really comment, because I've only ever paid for materials. :)

Despite having a plan we were sadly unable to get the builder to follow it

:cheesy:

When working with Thai builders you should be aware that they have different ideas about what is competent work.

In most cases they believe that whatever will achieve a minimum result with the least amount of effort is considered to be the smart way to go.

Whereas the house owner usually wants to do something more difficult to achieve a technically, or cosmetically better result.

Of course the house owner is usually crazy or stupid.

Despite having a plan we were sadly unable to get the builder to follow it

:cheesy:

When working with Thai builders you should be aware that they have different ideas about what is competent work.

In most cases they believe that whatever will achieve a minimum result with the least amount of effort is considered to be the smart way to go.

Whereas the house owner usually wants to do something more difficult to achieve a technically, or cosmetically better result.

Of course the house owner is usually crazy or stupid.

This is quite true in most cases, take note those of you out there who are planning to build.

It's a shame that a simple question about building a house in the north of CR province has been freeloaded by a bunch of Thai-bashers with no real input to the question.

It's fairly evident from reading these forums that many of the farangs here actually are stupid and uneducated, so hats off to the Thais who treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Cleared the front...

and tiled it...

We've since concreted the driveway, but I can't find any photos of that, as the in-laws decided to do it the day before our wedding, so it all got mixed up with the wedding photos :lol:

Oh and we built a wall around the three sides that didn't have one, to keep the dogs in.

As for building costs, I can't really comment, because I've only ever paid for materials. :)

Thanks for the pics. Something like that would do me fine.

She has a bit of land as her parents (nodw deceased) left a small farm to her

It's a shame that a simple question about building a house in the north of CR province has been freeloaded by a bunch of Thai-bashers with no real input to the question.

It's fairly evident from reading these forums that many of the farangs here actually are stupid and uneducated, so hats off to the Thais who treat them with the contempt they deserve.

I had to re read the thread to be sure but once I had done that I was pretty certain that there was no evidence of anyone bashing Thai's, I'll therefore assume that you merely got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. As for posters being uneducated, please don't tell me that it's time for the advanced degrees to be aired once again, it's getting a tad old.

Time for you to let a local builder build your dream house, then come and give us a report.

I had to re read the thread to be sure but once I had done that I was pretty certain that there was no evidence of anyone bashing Thai's, I'll therefore assume that you merely got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. As for posters being uneducated, please don't tell me that it's time for the advanced degrees to be aired once again, it's getting a tad old.

Then I suggest improvement of English comprehension might be one of the skills you apply yourself to in your retirement, it's never too late to educate yourself. Your last personal attack on me was way beyond the forum guidelines, I'm surprised that a man who has spent so much of his time in Thailand on TVisa should be unaware of that, perhaps you could review the posting guidelines as a further test of your English comprehension skills. As the OP is happy with his answers I won't be returning to this thread, have a nice day.

Cleared the front...

and tiled it...

Thanks for the pics. Something like that would do me fine.

She has a bit of land as her parents (nodw deceased) left a small farm to her

No problem :)

We're going to add another bedroom at some point. If I were building rather than buying, I would have made the bedrooms a little larger, maybe gone for an ensuite bathroom, but the house is plenty big enough. The roof is insulated and there's a drop ceiling so it doesn't get too hot.

It all depends on what you need to make you comfortable I suppose, but I've been there in the hottest time of the year and I didn't feel the need for aircon.

If there's an already existing house on your land, you might want to re-cycle any wood from it. I have seen houses that have used old wood and they look great.

Then I suggest improvement of English comprehension might be one of the skills you apply yourself to in your retirement, it's never too late to educate yourself. Your last personal attack on me was way beyond the forum guidelines, I'm surprised that a man who has spent so much of his time in Thailand on TVisa should be unaware of that, perhaps you could review the posting guidelines as a further test of your English comprehension skills. As the OP is happy with his answers I won't be returning to this thread, have a nice day.

Really? You saw Thai bashing on this thread? blink.gif

Really? You saw Thai bashing on this thread? blink.gif

You have got to remember Biff, this is the same guy who said he knew an Isaan lawyer and mayor, and by mentioning such, had put to rest the decades old stereotypes about Isaan. We are a creative and imaginative group here in the Rai. ;)