Supplies Situation In Bangkok

Forethat

I left BKK to endure the flooding at safe distance, but I'm beginning to wonder if the worst is over and it's time to go back.

But what's the supply situation in central parts of BKK like?

Can I, for instance, drive to a Big C or Tesco and get everything I need at the same price as a month ago?

Depends where you are. In Silom everything has been pretty normal the whole time. Water was a bit scarce a couple of weeks ago but I've never had trouble getting any, as there are plenty of small shops and street vendors selling it. Tops Market has lots of empty shelves by Villa Market and others are well stocked, with hardly any items missing. I don't know what all the fuss was about for those living in central areas, because life has been pretty normal. I don't see why people in central BKK needed to move away.

I don't see why people in central BKK needed to move away.

Simple answer- if the stuff hit the fan, it's too late to get out.

Every one of us that stayed took the risk of being stranded in an area with no safe way out. The responsible thing to do is get out or make arrangements that would allow you to get out without burdening an overloaded rescue system later. For me, it's where they mail my paycheck, or I'd have been gone myself- and I supported fellow employees with families to scoot to safer areas. Still, we have a contract with a helicopter company and a heliport on top of our building (at least that's what I kept telling myself as I squirreled away bottled water and cans of tuna for 10 days or so).

Frankly, I don't think the coast is clear to return yet since they're saying it will take weeks for the water to go down to the point that an unexpected or manmade breach in a dike or pump failure could swamp us.

Went to the Big C on Rama IV this afternoon, well stocked, plenty of water, eggs, rice, noodles everything in stock.

Just wondering how prices are compared to pre-flood?

And/or pre-government intervention, where things started going up on the street.