Phuket Schools Relax Rules For Hiring English Teachers

in the meantime we will have to hire teachers who just have English skills until we can find qualified teachers who have both English and English-teaching skills” Mr Jian explained.

One of the reasons they have a shortage is the quote above. Hiring and firing isn't going to help. Most schools I know do not have any retention policy. They always fire teachers at the end of the semester, only to start looking for new ones at the beginning of another semester.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is EXACTLY what Thailand deserves for pulling off sh*t like the Teacher's Council of Thailand (TCT) tests and accreditation BS et. al. I wonder just how many GOOD teachers they lost through the TCT noose and how many slackers they got to replace those good teachers... I'll bet the slackers all quit a few months into their jobs as well.

Maybe if this country will stop liasing with Filipino crooks and scumbags (who obviously won't give a shit what happens to THIS country... much less their own) there'd be enough white faces to fill the holes... But hey-- money still seems to talk louder than losing face, even if ever just so slim.

I could be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that even the current Foreign Minister cannot speak English!

I'm afraid you are wrong on this, though the rest of your post was very interesting.

Dr Surapong has a masters and a doctorate from the United States and has taught at university level in the US. (Doesn't mean he's the right man for the job, of course.)

I think the previous Democrat Education Minister and the Deputy Minister of Education did not speak English. I heard both of them make a terrible mess of speeches written for them in English at a World Teachers' Day forum before an international gathering. On another occasion, at an English-medium (World Bank) seminar I attended the minister gave the introductory speech entirely in Thai. This is the same minister who said English could not be an official language for teaching purposes here because other countries would think Thailand had been colonized!

Great, we'll therefore see yet another bunch of cheap "English teachers" with no real teaching accreditation and who will not care about teaching properly (just have fun, fun, fun). Yeay.

Sorry but i do not agree that all non qualified teachers do not care, i am not qualified and would love to teach english to primary school kids, but how do i apply if i do not have formal qualifications?

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't figure out how to apply for a job, you are likely not able to do said job...

Here is a wild idea...Why not pay based on ability? backpackers; 20k, Uni degree or TESOL course; 30k, degree with experience teaching; 40k, degree in teaching English; 50k, etc. That way it would eventually weed out the riff raff while supporting the qualified teachers...

<br />
<br />
<br />Great, we'll therefore see yet another bunch of cheap "English teachers" with no real teaching accreditation and who will not care about teaching properly (just have fun, fun, fun). Yeay.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Sorry but i do not agree that all non qualified teachers do not care, i am not qualified and would love to teach english to primary school kids, but how do i apply if i do not have formal qualifications?<br />
<br />Then you can't teach. Why the average English-speaking Joe, despite his best will, would be allowed to teach English without a certification? Teaching is no small feat and is a job like any other.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

How would you know he/she cant teach?

Teaching requires an empathy with those who you are teaching.

Droning on about phrasal verbs and exceptions etc. is a certain way to turn students off.

There is obviously a problem with teaching pupils in the english language, at least in Phetchabun province, since no one in my wife's family can speak a single word of English.

I bet they can say "money" and perhaps even "gold" :lol:

I could be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that even the current Foreign Minister cannot speak English!

I'm afraid you are wrong on this, though the rest of your post was very interesting.

Dr Surapong has a masters and a doctorate from the United States and has taught at university level in the US. (Doesn't mean he's the right man for the job, of course.)

I think the previous Democrat Education Minister and the Deputy Minister of Education did not speak English. I heard both of them make a terrible mess of speeches written for them in English at a World Teachers' Day forum before an international gathering. On another occasion, at an English-medium (World Bank) seminar I attended the minister gave the introductory speech entirely in Thai. This is the same minister who said English could not be an official language for teaching purposes here because other countries would think Thailand had been colonized!

Thanks for the correction. As I said, I wasn't sure, as the article was some months back, so memory may have failed me a bit.

(Doesn't mean he's the right man for the job, of course.) Now, Thailand actually does have "the right man for the job" in many cases. Unfortunately, the "right man" is usually ignored and the position given to someone from the family, or a political crony, who knows nothing about the job.

I remember the comment the Minister made about how English could not be an official language as other countries would think Thailand had been colonized. That one had me laughing for a very long time. Made me wonder if anyone had ever pointed out to him that both Hong King and Singapore were once colonies, but look at how far ahead of Thailand they are in just about every area?

<br />Burma was an English colony.<br />It has millions of English speakers train by the British (the real McCoy).<br />Why not just hire Burmese English Teachers. Cheap and good.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hmmmm bring in the lowest regarded people in this region, by Thais, to teach Thai children English!

Even if it would save and line pockets with, millions upon millions of baht.

As good as an idea as it is, its not going to happen anytime soon if ever.

If the schools down there are only offering 'backpacker' salaries as someone stated, then that's surely all that they can hope to attract in the way of quality teaching...Who and where does the funding come from for the teaching positions anyway?Is it at an individual school admin' level or is the funding fom the local education authority?If the schools aren't serious they can not hope to fill positions with quality teachers going down this path!!

there is a minimum salary requirement for a work permit. i believe its 50k a month.

I remember the comment the Minister made about how English could not be an official language as other countries would think Thailand had been colonized. That one had me laughing for a very long time. Made me wonder if anyone had ever pointed out to him that both Hong King and Singapore were once colonies, but look at how far ahead of Thailand they are in just about every area?

There is that face issue showing its ugly face again... :bah:

"we cant have someone thinking bad about us... never mind what happens IRL, but lets make sure they dont think bad thoughts..." lol

there is a minimum salary requirement for a work permit. i believe its 50k a month.

What u believe is one thing. As a matter of fact teaching at government schools is an exception (of course whistling.gif)

If the schools down there are only offering 'backpacker' salaries as someone stated, then that's surely all that they can hope to attract in the way of quality teaching...Who and where does the funding come from for the teaching positions anyway?Is it at an individual school admin' level or is the funding fom the local education authority?If the schools aren't serious they can not hope to fill positions with quality teachers going down this path!!

I am pretty sure i read somewhere that the 50k rule does not apply to teachers... 30k as i recall.