Zithromax (Azithromycin) For Kids

weary

Is it available over the counter, or is a doctor's visit required? (I would of course go see a doctor first in all other cases, but the reason I am asking now is that my son already received a Zithromax prescription by doctor's order two days ago; unfortunately though, he succeeded in spitting the dose out twice, so now there is no more of it left for his final dose, and it is a hassle to go back to the hospital just to get a prescription for more antibiotics. So does anyone know if I can get this at a regular pharmacy?)

That is a common antibiotic at every pharmacy. If you know the dose then just give the same. If I remember right each pill is 250mg. Adults are usually 500 mg 1/day for most infections. Unless your kid has Chlamydia, which I doubt.

Personally, I think that it is not smart to give young children Azythromaycin or any of the other broad spectrum antibiotics. It is better to get a culture and treat with specific antibiotic. However, no doctor will ever do a culture.

Most pharmacists will know the dosage for your and they might even have the powder so you can mix with water and give by syringe if your child is very young.

Almost no medicine in this country requires a prescription which is good but also puts too much responsibility in those that are not properly trained.

That is a common antibiotic at every pharmacy. If you know the dose then just give the same. If I remember right each pill is 250mg. Adults are usually 500 mg 1/day for most infections. Unless your kid has Chlamydia, which I doubt.

Personally, I think that it is not smart to give young children Azythromaycin or any of the other broad spectrum antibiotics. It is better to get a culture and treat with specific antibiotic. However, no doctor will ever do a culture.

Most pharmacists will know the dosage for your and they might even have the powder so you can mix with water and give by syringe if your child is very young.

Almost no medicine in this country requires a prescription which is good but also puts too much responsibility in those that are not properly trained.

Some medicines do require prescriptions. But most don't. Zithromax is everywhere.

Some medicines do require prescriptions. But most don't. Zithromax is everywhere.

Zithromax is a hard medical hammer and I doubt if it is the right medecine for children .... In Europe the doctor are vey careful give this even to adults over long time. Depend on sickness, for children I use mostly Zyrtec.

Zithromax is a hard medical hammer and I doubt if it is the right medecine for children .... In Europe the doctor are vey careful give this even to adults over long time. Depend on sickness, for children I use mostly Zyrtec.

Zyrtec is not an antibiotic, but for treatment of allergy! It will in best case just make your kid very sleepy. If the kid already has started on Zithromax, no need to change to another medicine.

I recommend to use liquid medicine for kids, but can be extremely difficult to have them swallow it. Let one person hold the child´s head (and body), while the other person use a syringe to place the medicine on the back of the child´s tongue.