Turkey Dinners

Paul888

We are in the second week of November and no posts about Christmas dinner yet, or even come to think of it Thanksgiving? Shocking.

Am I the only person here craving Turkey?

I know Dusit and Le Meridan will have a Christmas dinner (not sure about Thanksgiving? and no idea about price yet) and I know there wil be others so if anybody has any details or other information it would be good to have it all in one thread.

We are in the second week of November and no posts about Christmas dinner yet, or even come to think of it Thanksgiving? Shocking.

Am I the only person here craving Turkey?

I know Dusit and Le Meridan will have a Christmas dinner (not sure about Thanksgiving? and no idea about price yet) and I know there wil be others so if anybody has any details or other information it would be good to have it all in one thread.

Serendipity :-) I was thinking along similar(ish) lines. I love the falang xmas spread, one of our greatest contributions to humanity, but for me personally it never tastes quite the same in hot non-Christian environments - our friends from the antipodes and Texas may reasonably disagree with me on that

point ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of a TV CR xmas party, or did I read on the Bkk forum that a similar attempt ended just short of a fist fight?

Anyway I guess most CR members are old-timers and possibly already sick of the sight of each other?

I have heard there are a few groups of people that will cook their own Turkey and have a get together with friends for Thanksgiving.

A couple of Restaurants may have Thanksgiving dinners.

Turkeys can be bought at Makro for about 900 baht and cooked at home also.

Many ways to cook a Turkey, even without an oven.

Can Steam it over BBQ Hot Coals for about 3 or 4 hours.

Need a Steamer Pot Big enough to put the 6 or 7 Kilo Bird in.

Just Butter and Season the Turkey and the water that will later become a Turkey Gravy Base.

Periodically baste the Turkey about every 15 - 20 minutes.

When nearly finished cooking, remove the water Gravy Stock and Brown the Turkey in a Pot over the Hot Coals

Edited by KimoMax

The term antipodes was used for Australia and New Zealand by the UK.

Near enough to other side of the world for them I suppose.

Well I suppose that at the time when the term antipodes was in common usage, there was only one place on earth where English was the national language ;-)

I have heard there are a few groups of people that will cook their own Turkey and have a get together with friends for Thanksgiving.

A couple of Restaurants may have Thanksgiving dinners.

Turkeys can be bought at Makro for about 900 baht and cooked at home also.

Many ways to cook a Turkey, even without an oven.

Can Steam it over BBQ Hot Coals for about 3 or 4 hours.

Need a Steamer Pot Big enough to put the 6 or 7 Kilo Bird in.

Just Butter and Season the Turkey and the water that will later become a Turkey Gravy Base.

Periodically baste the Turkey about every 15 - 20 minutes.

When nearly finished cooking, remove the water Gravy Stock and Brown the Turkey in a Pot over the Hot Coals

I just heard a few days ago from an American friend that they sometimes deep fry turkey.

It sounded really wierd but he assured me it was delicious.

We had a topic on it in the food section a couple of years back, someone provided a link to a series of pictures of it being done.

Sounds expensive, I doubt the large amount of oil required would be reusable.

A quick google produced this..

http://www.wikihow.c...ep-Fry-a-Turkey

bi

IF....if one can get peanut oil, it is reusable. You just have to strain it good after it cools down and use it up in the next 6 months or so ( it will not go rancid like other oils). We did/do this in TX all the time. However, the bird needs to be injected with a marinate, via a syringe, to give it flavor to compete with roasting one in a baking bag. I personally prefer oven roasted in a baking bag over a deep fried one. I like dressing and deep fried ones can not produce that. D-F cooking is more like monitoring a chemistry project (to get the desired product) than just plain, enjoyable cooking. You have to be right on top of a thermometer at all times, until you get the exact temp and that is according to exact weight....nah....put it in a cooking bag and put it in the oven and chill out for a couple of hours or so...if, IF you have an oven...a real oven...big enough for a turkey. By the way, the perfect, deep fried turkey looks like it was either napalmed or was in a nuclear explosion when it is done. It is charred beyond recognition, but the meat inside....mmmmmm. bon appitet!

The best Thanksgiving weekend spread in town is at Le Meridien in my opinion for 599Tb.

I tried to post their menu but TV would not accept the attachment after several tries. The Sunday brunch from 11:30 to 2:30 that has all the trimmings including turkey to pumpkin pie and much more from sushi to crispy roasted duck - chicken - pork beer batter fish and chips the list goes on and on. I will forward their email if you PM me.

Come early and leave late but do make sure that you wear those belts with extra notches as well as walking shoes for a stroll around the grounds after your meal. A great way to spend an afternoon in 5 star ambiance.

Call Renaud to make a reservation 0816585876

See you there!

Edited by mellofello

The best Thanksgiving weekend spread in town is at Le Meridien in my opinion for 599Tb.

I tried to post their menu but TV would not accept the attachment after several tries. The Sunday brunch from 11:30 to 2:30 that has all the trimmings including turkey to pumpkin pie and much more from sushi to crispy roasted duck - chicken - pork beer batter fish and chips the list goes on and on. I will forward their email if you PM me.

Come early and leave late but do make sure that you wear those belts with extra notches as well as walking shoes for a stroll around the grounds after your meal. A great way to spend an afternoon in 5 star ambiance.

Call Renaud to make a reservation 0816585876

See you there!

image001.png

Jeez VF, we'll have all the riff-raff there now.

Sorry Scea I was just trying to help out poor Mello. Besides I won’t be there. I am going today as a friend has arranged an early dinner with what I hope will be an interesting guest list. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :)

Images from yesterday's Thanksgiving meal at the Meridien. Sorry, except for the chef, no images of the attendees. Thanks to the individual who arranged it, we had the place to ourselves, all twelve of us. :)

Thanksgiving+2011++009.jpg

Thanksgiving+2011++006.jpg

Thanksgiving+2011++003.jpg

Thanksgiving+2011++001.jpg

Thanksgiving+2011++011.jpg

Thought I should include the Thai staff and upper management who made for such a wonderful event.

384486_278900932153691_100001013583459_783938_1744682736_n.jpg

379374_278899798820471_100001013583459_783930_693121235_n.jpg

Want to assure everyone not familiar with Le Meridien's Sunday brunch that there are large private tables and booths spread over both indoor and outdoor locations not squashed together as depicted in poor VF's photo. The food stations at Sundays brunch are also located all over with no less than 45 starters - entrees and desserts to tempt us with. The attentive 5 star staff is always just a glance away for fresh juices to the best endless cups of coffee and tea's you can imagine.

The 12 seats for VF's"special" look very cramped as well as knee and elbow knocking, poor VF and his tight group seem to have been limited to one small Makro turkey or possibly VF forgot to take a photo of the big spread of food.

I did enjoy the photo of Renaud and Justin the culinary and hotel managers who make sure every patron is served with the utmost degree of professionalism. Renaud's personal number for both restaurant reservations or special culinary events is 0816585876.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend brunch and hope to see most of you there, I will be at a big corner table enjoying the ambiance as well as the culinary delights.

Having a whole restaurant is hardly what I would call cramped and to insinuate that the Meridien would offer substandard food or ambiance at the same time you tout their culinary delights is a bit confusing. Having a bad day?

The food was plentiful and delicious as usual. Just for the record it wasn’t my group, I was just a guest and thought I would share some photos of a lovely location conveniently located here in Chiang Rai right on the river.

Intentionally left out pictures of the guests enjoying their meal so as not to taint anyone with the sin of having broken bread with me. ;)

VF,There was never any insinuation by me other than the ambiance and excellent service one could expect when they visit Le Meridien's Sunday brunch. Where you got that from I fail to see.

For more clarification your 12 seat table set up is not to be found at their brunch although it can be found at other brunches for the public such as at the Rimkok brunch.

Your special table and food were obviously ordered and approved specifically by the organizer of your private party dinner. That is why I simply pointed out that your pictures were not indicative at all of what a TV member could expect at Sunday brunch. I went into detail about the excellent service and expansive food available as well as the roomy tables none of which was an insinuation other than an excellent one above and beyond Le Meridien's 5 star rating.

I am not having a bad day at all,again a misinterpretation by you how could I ? The sky is clear the air is cool the birds are singing the pool is warm and I have a corner booth reserved at Le Meridien's Sunday brunch. Your sensitivity and sarcastic nature are showing through.

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I am sorry if the Meridien’s upscale restaurant, Favola, doesn’t seem to meet with your standards. It must be my fault for taking such bad photographs and portraying it in a Rimkokesque manner. I assure you it bears no resemblance at all to the Rimkok. Chef Kuan and his staff produced an amazing spread as usual. Renaud and Justin went out of their way to offer something very special and were on hand to express their appreciation. :)

I have said it now too many times for even the thickest of skulls to not have understood.

One more time in simpler words:

Le Meridien's food service and staff are beyond reproach, it has recently been awarded as "The best of Thailand's Resorts in International awards". I personally find their Sunday brunch to be the best Thailand has to offer.

I am not going to go into it any further with you other than say that you are a person that does not read what is written very well.

I do not engage such people as it is a waste of my time as well as other TV posters. Good luck to you.

Edited by mellofello

Being British I never really knew what thanksgiving was about, as we don't have it (as far as I know), but I always thought it was a good idea: I always imagined it as a sort of stress- and ideology-free version of Christmas.

Google tells me that for Canadians it's thanksgiving for the bounty of nature (I guess similar to the British harvest festival, which is just a historical footnote these days); whereas in the US it's a commemoration of the founding fathers' epic journey.

This week I enjoyed the celebration of the bringing in of the harvest with some mountain food and a few shots of lao kao with the extended family. Not that I don't enjoy 'fine dining' and 'international cuisine' - I do, very much so :-)

Being British I never really knew what thanksgiving was about, as we don't have it (as far as I know), but I always thought it was a good idea: I always imagined it as a sort of stress- and ideology-free version of Christmas.

Google tells me that for Canadians it's thanksgiving for the bounty of nature (I guess similar to the British harvest festival, which is just a historical footnote these days); whereas in the US it's a commemoration of the founding fathers' epic journey.

This week I enjoyed the celebration of the bringing in of the harvest with some mountain food and a few shots of lao kao with the extended family. Not that I don't enjoy 'fine dining' and 'international cuisine' - I do, very much so :-)

There was a lot of questioning at the table and among my wife’s Thai Facebook friends, as to the meaning and purpose of Thanksgiving. Your explanation sums things up nicely without going into all the specifics of how it started.

At its core it is indeed a harvest festival and a family oriented holiday without all the gift giving and commercialization of Christmas or New Year. :)