Turkey Dinners

Paul888

Being British I never really knew what thanksgiving was about, as we don't have it (as far as I know), but I always thought it was a good idea: I always imagined it as a sort of stress- and ideology-free version of Christmas.

Google tells me that for Canadians it's thanksgiving for the bounty of nature (I guess similar to the British harvest festival, which is just a historical footnote these days); whereas in the US it's a commemoration of the founding fathers' epic journey.

This week I enjoyed the celebration of the bringing in of the harvest with some mountain food and a few shots of lao kao with the extended family. Not that I don't enjoy 'fine dining' and 'international cuisine' - I do, very much so :-)

There was a lot of questioning at the table and among my wife’s Thai Facebook friends, as to the meaning and purpose of Thanksgiving. Your explanation sums things up nicely without going into all the specifics of how it started.

At its core it is indeed a harvest festival and a family oriented holiday without all the gift giving and commercialization of Christmas or New Year. :)

Nice :-) I wish both you and your wife a pleasant and relaxing thanksgiving weekend. Also to Mello of course and his family.

Now I must disconnect my tablet from the network for the weekend, as the stress of TV is already getting to me!

Is there a prize for being Le Meriden's biggest fan boy? :)

I first tried Le Meriden because VF seemed to enjoy the food there so much, and since then I have been a regular visitor.

I don't think for one minute that his photos gave the impression of it being cramped. I can't imagine that anybody would think that a picture of a single table and a single plate of food represents the entire spread for a party of 12 at a 5 star hotel, let alone that said Hotel source their produce at Makro!

That aside, Le Meriden Sunday brunch is in my opinion, generally the best spread in Chiang Rai and as you can see from the menu posted above for this Sunday, it looks as if it is about to set a new even higher bench mark this week.

I know many are put off from trying it because it is more expensive than most of the other buffets around, (599 per person I believe) but having tried most of them, I can honestly say that the value for money you get from the quality of food and service in one visit to Le Meriden, more than offsets the quantity of lower quality food that you will get in multiple visits to other places.

In addition to this, the excellent Le Meridien Club membership (free and 1 min to complete the form) gives you a very generous 20% off all food and drink prices.

If you are going to try it out, I recommend booking so they know how many will be coming and how much food to prepare. The one criticism I have heard in the past is that the experience is not always as good for the later diners and the earlier ones....

You have to realise VF occasionally ruffle feathers and the beruffled birds look for opportunities to ruffle back. B)

I really enjoy the Le Meridien Sunday brunch, I attend with my neighbour, my wife having no interest in such occasions.

Not sure how the membership works, I filled in the form and heard no more about it but we still seem to get the discount.

You have to realise VF occasionally ruffle feathers and the beruffled birds look for opportunities to ruffle back. B)

I really enjoy the Le Meridien Sunday brunch, I attend with my neighbour, my wife having no interest in such occasions.

Not sure how the membership works, I filled in the form and heard no more about it but we still seem to get the discount.

Yeah, card takes forever to arrive but you just need to tell them when you get the bill and they do indeed give you the discount.

I’m sure it was all my fault for posting the menu after we were assured that TV would not accept the attachment even after several tries. My intention was to be helpful since these things come easily to me but I guess it wasn’t taken that way. :)

Anyway I am more than willing to forgo the Meridien’s Biggest Fanboy prize if anyone else wants it. Besides I’m not much for award ceremonies. ;)

Whether you attend the Potluck or the Sunday Brunch I hope everyone has a great weekend. :D

Edited by villagefarang

Scea, I hope you are not implying that I work part-time as a fluffer. Oh I’m sorry, the word you used was “ruffle”. My mistake. ;)

We all agree that Le Meridien has the best brunch in northern Thailand. That was clearly expressed in all of my postings as well as by everyone that has written in this forum.

My comment about the picture of 5 tables pushed together simply pointed out that this is not at all a representation of the seating that is available at Le Meridien's Sunday brunch in which seating is spread out for both comfort as well as privacy. If anyone does not get this then I can only shake my head in wonder.

Secondly the turkey in VF's photo does look small as I am sure it was ordered that way by the person who planned and paid for this private meal. Again, to be more than clear my comment was to point out that the brunch at Le Meridien has nothing to do with small,it is a lavish layout with as I said offers "more than 45 starters entrees and desserts". This lavish presentation is beyond doubt the best I have ever seen and I have been around the block a few times.

Lets lay to rest the ridiculous banter about my singing anything but kudos and praises for Le Meridien's food, seating, management and staff. Renaud and Justin's staff not only prepare and lay out this weekly 5 star feast but also serve each and every patron with a flair of efficiency and class not found anywhere else in CR.

Hope everyone has been enjoying a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend as we have here in SW CR.

Perhaps some introspection is in order for you. It was your unfounded referral to me as "poor Mello" after I posted the first notice here that Le Meridien was serving a Thanksgiving weekend brunch that got my hair up.

You can feel free in getting around TV's rules and regulations and post what they say you should not, that is up to you. You can not refer to me as "poor Mello" or any other derogatory statements without a reaction from me. There is nothing poor about me except possibly my vision without my specs. Possibly you are projecting when you throw these demeaning statements out? You have an edge to many of your statements on this board that is unwarranted, you should be aware of that subsequently introspection by you is in order.

Peace be with you .

I always thought it was possible to praise something without belittling or begrudging someone else's good fortune but perhaps I was mistaken. ;)

Scea, You have hit the bird squarely in the feathers , I applaud your insight. It seems that you know VF much better than I do.

May we all enjoy a Peaceful and unruffled end to a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Perhaps some introspection is in order for you. It was your unfounded referral to me as "poor Mello" after I posted the first notice here that Le Meridien was serving a Thanksgiving weekend brunch that got my hair up.

You can feel free in getting around TV's rules and regulations and post what they say you should not, that is up to you. You can not refer to me as "poor Mello" or any other derogatory statements without a reaction from me. There is nothing poor about me except possibly my vision without my specs. Possibly you are projecting when you throw these demeaning statements out? You have an edge to many of your statements on this board that is unwarranted, you should be aware of that subsequently introspection by you is in order.

Peace be with you .

I always thought it was possible to praise something without belittling or begrudging someone else's good fortune but perhaps I was mistaken. ;)

“Poor Mello” was meant as an endearing and sympathetic reference to your struggles and inability to post an attachment and was part of a jocular exchange with Scea. It was not meant seriously and was not meant to cast aspersions on your financial situation which I know nothing about. I am sorry you misunderstood the meaning and intent of my exchange with Scea.

And I, unfortunately will probably not be ruffling any turkey feathers at Le Meridien tomorrow, a combination of circumstances now makes it unlikely.

Members hoping for a sceadugenga sighting will very likely not have that extra enjoyment added to their thanksgiving dinner. B)

Scea, You have hit the bird squarely in the feathers , I applaud your insight. It seems that you know VF much better than I do.

May we all enjoy a Peaceful and unruffled end to a great Thanksgiving weekend.

So in other word you were looking for payback. An admirable character trait. :)

And I, unfortunately will probably not be ruffling any turkey feathers at Le Meridien tomorrow, a combination of circumstances now makes it unlikely.

Members hoping for a sceadugenga sighting will very likely not have that extra enjoyment added to their thanksgiving dinner. B)

You will be missed. :)

Absolute fantastic spread at Le Meriden yesterday. I had high expectations from the menu posted here and I was not disappointed in the slightest.

Food and service were as always first class, but the dessert table was more than worth the money all on its own.

Absolute fantastic spread at Le Meriden yesterday. I had high expectations from the menu posted here and I was not disappointed in the slightest.

Food and service were as always first class, but the dessert table was more than worth the money all on its own.

Very true Paul, I stated with espresso and finished with a regular coffee more than an hour later, There were more jumbo and regular shrimp dishes than I could sample as well as mixed salads galore. I asked for a slab of turkey and was served at least 200gr of breast which I covered with gravy mmm good. The sushi salmon and tuna were so good they melted in my mouth then the wasabi kicked in. I could have left there but the desserts were calling so after another cup a joe I was digging into the pumpkin pie al amode which even had gram cracker crust, what a blast from the past! Had to go back for some more belt busting chocolate fudge goodies,even had peeled pistachio nuts... did enjoy them all.

After a stroll around their grounds we went home where an afternoon nap was needed. Last night was great after a sunset 90 minute walk but no way could I even think about food.Now that was a Thanksgiving feast without the American football (Thank God)

Today and for the week ahead it is all Vegan and juices

I know that Sunday the 4th Le Meridien will be offering something special again Hmm :licklips:

Hope that everyone had a great and thankful Thanksgiving weekend.

Edited by mellofello

Don's Cafe in Doi Hang will be doing an outstanding christmas lunch on Dec. 25 from 12:00 to 16:00 and very reasonable prices. The dinning sala sits between two lakes in the peaceful foot hills of Doi Hang in Chiang Rai. Turkey, baked Virginia ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce and all of the trimmings for a great meal are being planned.

Don's Cafe in Doi Hang will be doing an outstanding christmas lunch on Dec. 25 from 12:00 to 16:00 and very reasonable prices. The dinning sala sits between two lakes in the peaceful foot hills of Doi Hang in Chiang Rai. Turkey, baked Virginia ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce and all of the trimmings for a great meal are being planned.

GOOD :)