Taking Clean Water To A New Level

ronz28

University of California, Berkeley, scientists have shown that ionized plasmas like those in neon lights and plasma TVs not only can sterilize water, but make it antimicrobial – able to kill bacteria – for as long as a week after treatment. Devices able to produce such plasmas are cheap, which means they could be life-savers in developing countries, disaster areas...

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/11/14/using-plasmas-to-sterilize-water/

Looks like a timely business opportunity here.

Interesting but this caught my attention:

"Graves was puzzled to see, however, that the water was still antimicrobial a week later, even though the peroxide and nitrite concentrations had dropped to nil. This indicated that some other reactive chemical – perhaps a nitrate – remained in the water to kill microbes, he said."

Given that modern analysis techniques are as advanced as they are I can see why they are puzzled.

I'll pass for now. :blink:

Yes, I wondered about that too. I avoid nitrates and nitrites in food but am not sure what this is. I guess it may not be ready for prime time or someone wants to mislead potential competitors for awhile. I suspect someone with the right expertise should be able to figure this out soon.