Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

Thai cabinet endorses Thaksin amnesty plan: reports

BANGKOK, November 16, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's cabinet has endorsed a controversial amnesty decree that could pave the way for the return of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, local media said Wednesday.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is Thaksin's younger sister, has yet to confirm or comment on a move that already attracted harsh criticism from the opposition.

The draft, which needs to be approved by King Bhumibol Adulyadej, would grant an amnesty to "convicts who are at least 60 years old and are sentenced to under three years in jail", according to the Bangkok Post English daily.

Amnesties are granted each year on the king's birthday on December 5.

Thaksin, who was ousted by the army in a 2006 coup, is 62 years old and lives in self-imposed exile in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison term for corruption.

Political novice Yingluck, 44, led the Puea Thai party to victory in a July election on the back of her brother's popularity among Thailand's rural poor and is widely seen as his political proxy.

She was absent from Tuesday's cabinet meeting because she was visiting a flood-stricken province, reports said.

The return of Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in Thailand, would likely anger his foes in the Bangkok-based elites in the military, palace and bureaucracy and could spark further turmoil after years of violent protests.

It would also come at a politically sensitive time for Yingluck who has faced strong criticism in recent weeks for her handling of Thailand's worst flood crisis in half a century.

The reported amnesty plan was immediately criticised by the opposition Democrats, whose own amnesty decree last year excluded corruption convictions.

"It shows that what they have done is intended to help one person," Democrat deputy party spokesman Sakoltee Phattiyakul told AFP, predicting the move would make for a "tense" political situation in the kingdom.

"Because even though the floods are not yet over, the cabinet still approved the decree," he said.

After his sister's election win, Thaksin said setting foot back in Thailand was not a priority, but he has previously expressed hopes to be at his daughter's wedding in December.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-16

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good old PTP use the cover of the floods to bring back Baig T. The red supports will be here soon telling us how great this will be for Thailand. Ying luck should man up and tell dear brother he is on his own and she being the PM will do what is best for Thailand.

Edited by moe666

I am so ashamed that the Thai people actually voted for this charade government. That the Thai people actually can accept a dangerous idiot like Chalerm to be a DPM. That this government has the nerve to tell us that what they discuss in the cabinet meeting is secret (<deleted>). I am so ashamed.....

Three posts have been deleted.

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

It's the way they did it that sums this mafia up.

Yingluck sneaks off to Singburi and states that "Oh it's dark now, my helicopter can't fly in the dark because it has no radar so I can't return for my cabinet meeting"

Army says "of course that model has radar and so does the other helicopter that is on standby"

Chalerm the magnificent holds the meeting kicking out all but a select few cronies. Meeting is "secret" - well all know why. Meeting agrees to this amnestty.

When cabinet is asked about the meeting the outcome is silence, no comment or Plodprasop "I can't say, it's a secret"

Yingluck, when asked, says "Don't ask me what they did - I wasn't there"

Absolute disgrace.

I am so ashamed that the Thai people actually voted for this charade government. That the Thai people actually can accept a dangerous idiot like Chalerm to be a DPM. That this government has the nerve to tell us that what they discuss in the cabinet meeting is secret (<deleted>). I am so ashamed.....

keeping things in secret sounds like they took a cue from Dick Cheney. if you watch the government meeting, the room is totally empty, where is the government? in a time of crisis the government is still working on putting money in their pockets and bringing back the master scammer. hopefully the people will wake up, but somehow I doubt it. chok dii muang thai. man jam bpen :jap:

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

The good thing is that maybe, just maybe, some of the voters from the North will remember this (and Yingluck's abject handling of the flood crisis) when the next election comes around - trouble is, I think that they will forget, as their brains will click into gear and it will be "vote PT", "vote Thaksin", "Thaksin is our saviour", "What floods"............and so on!!!!!:blink:.

Finally they let the cat out of the bag and show their true colors.

What was PTP's top priority again: reconciliation???

Best of luck to Thailand. You're goin to need it.

PT idea of reconciliation is to have Thackson in the physical presence of his followers and iron out any differences they might have.:(

AMNESTY

Govt refuses comment on "Thaksin amnesty"

The Nation

30170004-01.jpg

As floods continue to wreak havoc on Thailand, has the Yingluck government sneaked in a plan to bring Thaksin Shinawatra home?

Government leaders remained tight-lipped Wednesday morning over widespread Thai media reports that the Yingluck administration has added extra changes to this year’s annual amnesty to mark HM the King’s birthday that would benefit Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who chaired Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, from which Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was conspicuously absence, waved off reporters, saying he would address the issue when he is at Parliament Wednesday afternoon.

Media reports said that during a high-confidential Cabinet forum Tuesday limited to only a handful numbers of ministers and officials, it was decided that people convicted of corruption would be entitled to receive this year amnesty. Last year’s royal decree that released prisoners to mark the monarch’s birthday excluded people convicted of drug trade and corruption.

Yingluck spent Monday night in Singburi, citing travel difficulties at night and did not come to the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, assigning Chalerm, who she had tasked with looking into political amnesty, to chair the Cabinet meeting. Democrat MPs taunted that as a thinly-veiled move to give her "deniability" at a time of raging flood crisis.

Yingluck late Tuesday denied knowledge of what happened at the Cabinet meeting, asking reporters to ask Chalerm directly. Chalerm refused to comment. Government spokesperson Titima Chaisaeng also said she had no idea what went on during the secretive meeting that followed the normal weekly Cabinet meeting.

Whether Yingluck’s denial, well recorded by the Thai media, will come back to haunt her remains to be seen. She had vowed never to work for any particular group or person. To miss a Cabinet meeting that would enable her to keep up on flood relief efforts would be politically acceptable if there was no hidden agenda at that Cabinet meeting. But if that meeting was spent on discussing plans for her big brother Thaksin, the prime minister could face a big political backlash.

However, it remains to be seen if the media reports are true, and whether the proclaimed changes to the annual amnesty would include another key point that would fully benefit Thaksin. The fact that Thaksin has yet to serve a day in prison has prompted question how he would be "released". If this year’s conditions benefit fugitives, it will be a considerable change from Thai legal and royal traditions.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-16

Way back, Gilbert and Sullivans musical "The Mikado" was a satire on so many aspects of quaint Japanese culture.

It wouldnt be culturally correct or tolerated if written today.

One satirical song "Let the punishment fit the crime" seems to have a new Thai twist along

the lines of "Let the amnestity fit the criminal".

Convicts 60+ years and less than 3 years jail. Tailored to measure!!!

The writing has been on the wall that something like this would happen.

Lets hope after all the flood mysery with people working together with good heart doesnt come to the same political divisions as before with many dead.

Surely 500+ dead from the floods is too many already? even without going into the witch hunt as to how "guilty or not" was his sister.

Overall-- how sad for Thailand and its beloved King.

Yingluck sneaks off to Singburi and states that "Oh it's dark now, my helicopter can't fly in the dark because it has no radar so I can't return for my cabinet meeting"

Army says "of course that model has radar and so does the other helicopter that is on standby"

Chalerm the magnificent holds the meeting kicking out all but a select few cronies. Meeting is "secret" - well all know why. Meeting agrees to this amnestty.

When cabinet is asked about the meeting the outcome is silence, no comment or Plodprasop "I can't say, it's a secret"

Absolute disgrace.

3 army helicopters clash in a single week, all flying in day-light. Including the most expensive US made black hawk with radar.

And you you say it is OK to fly at night?

Absolute disgrace.

Would you go in a Thai helicopter based on recent performances? I wouldn't!!

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

Sorry....I think you meant.."...the man who took more positive things ($$$) from Thailand than anyone in recent history...." That makes more sense.