Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

Cabinet Alleged of Holding Backdoor Meeting on Amnesty Law

The Cabinet yesterday reportedly held secret talks to consider a royal decree stipulating conditions for a convicted individual to receive a royal pardon on the occasion of His Majesty the King's 84th birthday anniversary.

In the announcement of yesterday's Cabinet meeting results, the team of spokespeople for the Prime Minister's Office recapped on measures for flood relief and the transfer of 34 senior Interior Ministry officials, but did not mention the consideration of a royal decree on amnesty.

Sources revealed that at one point in the meeting, which was chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, the Cabinet held a backdoor discussion regarding conditions for an individual who have been convicted to receive a royal pardon on the auspicious occasion of His Majesty the King's 84th birthday anniversary on December 5.

Irrelevant officials reportedly were asked to remain outside.

The spokesperson team did not elaborate on details of the discussion nor disclose the content of the royal decree and related documents.

However, it was speculated that the undisclosed detail concerns conditions for a convicted individual to be awarded with amnesty that the person must be over 60 years old and was sentenced to no more than three years in prison.

The attached note which had been inserted during th

e previous Democrat-led government was purportedly removed. The note reportedly says the person who will receive a royal pardon must not be convicted of drug-related and corruption offenses.

Under this circumstance, former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was convicted of corruption in the Ratchadapisek land purchase case and remains in self-exile, would be eligible to receiving the royal pardon without having to serve his sentence first.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-16

footer_n.gif

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

Please get your head out of the sand happsanook. Did more positive things? What are they? He did positively line his pockets quite well whilst being the PM.

It's the way they did it that sums this mafia up.

Yingluck sneaks off to Singburi and states that "Oh it's dark now, my helicopter can't fly in the dark because it has no radar so I can't return for my cabinet meeting"

Army says "of course that model has radar and so does the other helicopter that is on standby"

Chalerm the magnificent holds the meeting kicking out all but a select few cronies. Meeting is "secret" - well all know why. Meeting agrees to this amnestty.

When cabinet is asked about the meeting the outcome is silence, no comment or Plodprasop "I can't say, it's a secret"

Yingluck, when asked, says "Don't ask me what they did - I wasn't there"

Absolute disgrace.

Would you go in a Thai helicopter based on recent performances? I wouldn't!!

She was only in Singburi. She could have easily used ground transportation and been back in plenty of time for the secret Cabinet meeting that her Cabinet was having.

Mr. Thaksin please....

"Amending laws to enrich himself firstly, then amend laws to pardon himself! ups...."

Let me get this right:

you (Thaksin) firstly amend laws to get riches for your companies (AIS/SHIN etc.), then you don't confess and "deny any wrong-doings", then you "apparently" retire various times from the political scene, then you let your self-declared clone sister run for PM on your behalf, then you lure the country to vote for your sister, by acting as you will come back soon; to take national interest in your own hands, and tell your fans:

We'll all get rich very soon!

... then you basically more or less ignore the whole floods in your own beloved country, but before you plan to return, you ask someone most respected in our country, to give you amnesty or pardon for something you've denied doing in the 1st place by amending again yourself (always via proxies of course) the laws?

And now you can't wait to get your hands on the coming "World Banks Loan, foreign aid money and Budget 2012"?

For any MEGA-Project which will make you and your cronies even more healthy? Why are you always lying to us and telling you are doing things for Thailand?

You think we are so stupid and blind?

OMG/OMB ..Mr. Thaksin! Where are you heading for?

Where will this lead too Dr. Thaksin? More division and street problems/protests in TH perhaps? Is this a good PR for yourself and Thailand?

What are you trying to achieve Mr. Thaksin? Thailand really would be better off without you, believe me/us!

sad.gifblink.gifsad.gifmad.gifjap.gif

She was only in Singburi. She could have easily used ground transportation and been back in plenty of time for the secret Cabinet meeting that her Cabinet was having.

a trick of 9 years old school girl, that's it !

Time to start packing... I sure don't want to be here if HE comes back. This man has an axe to grind.

The city and surrounding is suffering from floods and this is the government's priority?!?!

When is the wedding date?

This is really beyond a joke.

The billionairess nuptials at the 5-star Plaza Athenee are scheduled for December 12th.

Sounds like the perfect time for the next coup then. Can the generals get ready by then?

When is the wedding date?

This is really beyond a joke.

The billionairess nuptials at the 5-star Plaza Athenee are scheduled for December 12th.

Sounds like the perfect time for the next coup then. Can the generals get ready by then?

The whole army is already in Bangkok (serving the flood).

A military source said yesterday the Mi-17 helicopter was actually equipped with radar and could fly at night. Ms Yingluck's delegation also could have had another helicopter for her return on Monday night, which the military was ready to provide.

The source said the prime minister's delegation seemed to intentionally extend her trip in Sing Buri because they boarded the helicopter nearly an hour later than scheduled.

Corruption on top of corruption and so transparent.

The military done a nice little bit of stiring. I wonder is another coup iminent? Or more riots perhaps? Or will it be Mai-bpen-rai?

Made me mad reading the article and I'm not Thai.

jb1

"equipped", but is it "working"

The Black Hawk have radar too. And it still clash in day-light.

I wouldn't take the risk, would you? Honestly.

Equipped but is it working. What do you think? Ok so they can still crash in daylight. So daytime/nightime no difference But she has still been using them over the time that she has been PM.

jb1

Time to start packing... I sure don't want to be here if HE comes back. This man has an axe to grind.

The city and surrounding is suffering from floods and this is the government's priority?!?!

and shamefully they done it :-(

air ticket will be fully booked far before Christmas season !

As a guest of the country and unable to vote I think it wise that Farangs should keep their views to themselves Big Brother is watching YOU !!!!

Yep, my sentiments entirely. Cant help thinking news like this should be locked. These threads always go the same way and if the wrong person starts reading these comments and has a bee in their bonnet, wouldn't take much for TV (at least this domain) to be nobbled here and ole George sent back to Christmas tree land. :whistling:

With Santa?

This isn't an amnesty. It is a pardon. The members need to understand this important difference.

An amnesty would be a "blanket coverage" or immunity over controversial issues that have not been convicted.

The proposed pardon would be for the 2 years sentenced in the Ratchadaphisek land case, and that case only.

As I understand it, there is a considerable number of other outstanding charges against the man that have not been tried yet.

What stops / protects him from being arrested and detained for any or all of those?

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

EXACTLY!! Finally a voice of reason on here.

Everyone seems to forget how things were ticking along nicely a few years ago. Look where we are now and how things have gone since 2006/2007..!!

Ticking along nicely????? are you kidding me? The army didn't just wake up in the morning and think 'Hmm today looks like a nice day for a coup' Every evil thing that has happened on both sides since the coup are the direct result of this evil megalomaniac throwing money at the poor to bring him back. Might as well bring him back and get used to the old Thaksin dictatorship.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to me that this happened. I'm a little shocked at the blatant lack of subtlety in the technique used. The old smoke filled back room, when everyone else is preoccupied, the not so subtle "diversion." The majority of Thais won't understand the degree of manipulation, but they will react one way or the other to the result. Sort of makes sense now that the army was all out for PR attention and currying favor with the flooded out second class citizens. The army had to be clued into the possibility that this was in the works and set out to bond with the population knowing that they will soon be bringing guns instead of food, if they react the wrong way. It was inevitable, and it sure looks like it will be the catalyst for cloudy skys for Thailand for a while. That should be it for foreign investment and tourism. Only the most naive tourists would come here anymore and only foreign investors on the take from the government and military would invest and stay. It will be interesting to follow the Thailand case. I feel bad for the general population and ordinary working Thais. It's a shame that they should be so manipulated for so long by so many scoundrels.

A military source said yesterday the Mi-17 helicopter was actually equipped with radar and could fly at night. Ms Yingluck's delegation also could have had another helicopter for her return on Monday night, which the military was ready to provide.

The source said the prime minister's delegation seemed to intentionally extend her trip in Sing Buri because they boarded the helicopter nearly an hour later than scheduled.

Corruption on top of corruption and so transparent.

The military done a nice little bit of stiring. I wonder is another coup iminent? Or more riots perhaps? Or will it be Mai-bpen-rai?

Made me mad reading the article and I'm not Thai.

jb1

"equipped", but is it "working"

The Black Hawk have radar too. And it still clash in day-light.

I wouldn't take the risk, would you? Honestly.

Equipped but is it working. What do you think? Ok so they can still crash in daylight. So daytime/nightime no difference But she has still been using them over the time that she has been PM.

jb1

Night time the risk is higher.

Same same my mum ask me not to drive long distanct at night (to other provinces). Because the risk is higher.

Does that mean I will crash at night? Not likely, but my mum is no fool too, and I listen to her.

I think YS have made a wise choice.

Will it affect the Thai Baht against the dollar or pound? If not I couldn't care less if he comes back. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know as they say.

What happened in the USA and the Uk with those crooks robbing people of their life savings makes Thaksin look like a saint.

As a farang there is very little room room to talk about corruption in Thailand..

Edited by Tanlic

Good old PTP use the cover of the floods to bring back Baig T. The red supports will be here soon telling us how great this will be for Thailand. Ying luck should man up and tell dear brother he is on his own and she being the PM will do what is best for Thailand.

He'll be brass-knockering the front-door to the PMs residence, stretch-merc outside and with his own attache and colour-coded array of suitcases full of muti-nationally purchased elite-store attire in tow quicker than you can play Paul McCartney's 'Who's that knocking on the .....?':guitar:

B)'Anything happened while I've been away, luv?'

:wai:

The decree should read - "convicts who are male, at least 60 years old, have stolen no more than 100 Billion baht, been responsible for the deaths of no more than 10000 people, have crippled the country no more than twice and are sentenced to under three years in jail"

Hilarious and disgraceful. This is so Thai it's no surprise at all. Thailand is addicted to disasters and the over 60 year old person this is set up for is a disaster waiting to re-happen.

The timing and secretive style seems to reflect a payback for favors, maybe even against Yingluck's will as PM...quite possible that her brother is upping the profile for his return irregardless of the cost to her....I'm sure he fully intends on returning most probably in December, so waiting for a 'good time' may not be an option for him....for the sake of stability of a fragile government with a monumental tasks ahead restoring confidence in future flood control, the issue of one man's return and avoiding jail may have to be decided publicity by a higher authority and let both sides fold their hands and accept wise consul on this....

Spot on 62strat. Will be interesting what the higher authority's decision is??

This is Thailand and the present government won a fair election. What is being done is being decided by Thais and those of you who do not like it and/or the decisions being made should go back and put your own country to right. Obviously the Thai system is no good for you so why live in a country that you do not like when your country is obviously a paradise which was so good you had to get out and move elsewhere. As for me I accept that I am a guest here and happy with the system because it is the Thai way. When I become uncomfortable for whatever reason I will move on, maybe back to my own country. I respectfully suggest many of the posters have now reached this stage and should leave!

Everyone seems to forget how things were ticking along nicely a few years ago. Look where we are now and how things have gone since 2006/2007..!!

Since 2007 things have gone south all over the world.

Somehow, I don't think the presence or absence of Thaksin accounts for all.

Useful article by here:

http://asiancorrespo...lective-pardon/

Since we are less than 3 weeks away from the Kings Birthday I assume we are going to get some conformation fairly quickly on what has been agreed - particularly since there seems to be a stipulation that anyone granted a pardon has to be in the country when it is given.

So if he comes back and sets foot on Thai soil can the police whisk him away to serve his 2 year sentence????

Ohhh I forgot, the police are his appointee's aren't they - are the army allowed to do this????? If they are, you can guarantee that his first step as he disembarks the plane will be assisted by a uniformed man taking hold of his arm and guiding him to his destination (it might not be the same as Thaksin's intended destination though)!!!

I would have thought that they would have a plan in place for this. There were rumours a couple of months back that the Special Branch detention cells at Bang Khen police school were being recommissioned for unknown reasons - one theory was for looking after a special prisoner???

I am sure that his arrival at the airport will be well timed. :whistling:

jb1

Maybe i am missing something here (quite possible)

But the Amnesty isn't guaranteed, they have/trying to amended the 'rules' that will allow him to qualify for Amnesty, but it still needs to be approved (presumably on a case-by-case basis) by the Royal Household, doesn't it?

Whilst the government may propose certain people for amnesty, it doesn't guarantee it... After all, the government serves at His Majesties pleasure, its a constitutional monarchy.

Its quite possible i am totally off the mark here, and if i am please correct me where i am wrong...

Since 2007 things have gone south all over the world.

Somehow, I don't think the presence or absence of Thaksin accounts for all.

More precisely than the above "EXACTLY".