Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

This is Thailand and the present government won a fair election. What is being done is being decided by Thais and those of you who do not like it and/or the decisions being made should go back and put your own country to right. Obviously the Thai system is no good for you so why live in a country that you do not like when your country is obviously a paradise which was so good you had to get out and move elsewhere. As for me I accept that I am a guest here and happy with the system because it is the Thai way. When I become uncomfortable for whatever reason I will move on, maybe back to my own country. I respectfully suggest many of the posters have now reached this stage and should leave!

The "Thai" system includes a release valve for situations like this when a corrupt would be dictator takes things too far. They are called coups and one is coming soon to a place near you.

So hopefully, you will be equally "happy" when the bullets start flying in your living room. I will be taking my family and fleeing for a while, to be returning in a year or so after major combat operations have wound down. I can only hope that the scourge of Thaksin is eliminated in this process.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe i am missing something here (quite possible)

But the Amnesty isn't guaranteed, they have/trying to amended the 'rules' that will allow him to qualify for Amnesty, but it still needs to be approved (presumably on a case-by-case basis) by the Royal Household, doesn't it?

Whilst the government may propose certain people for amnesty, it doesn't guarantee it... After all, the government serves at His Majesties pleasure, its a constitutional monarchy.

Its quite possible i am totally off the mark here, and if i am please correct me where i am wrong...

Just like a US Visa. It does NOT guarantee an entry.

EXACTLY!! Finally a voice of reason on here.

Everyone seems to forget how things were ticking along nicely a few years ago. Look where we are now and how things have gone since 2006/2007..!!

It's amazing what Thaksin did for the global economy, isn't it? :rolleyes::whistling:

Maybe i am missing something here (quite possible)

But the Amnesty isn't guaranteed, they have/trying to amended the 'rules' that will allow him to qualify for Amnesty, but it still needs to be approved (presumably on a case-by-case basis) by the Royal Household, doesn't it?

Whilst the government may propose certain people for amnesty, it doesn't guarantee it... After all, the government serves at His Majesties pleasure, its a constitutional monarchy.

Its quite possible i am totally off the mark here, and if i am please correct me where i am wrong...

I am very happy you have a logical and sensible view like this. certainly it is what it should happen. but, it is NOT what it will happen here.

this is just the second day this is in public, meaning this idea was already many many days behind the door.

Edited by ETatBKK

Quote from the AFP item:

"The return of Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in Thailand, would likely anger his foes in the Bangkok-based elites in the military, palace and bureaucracy and could spark further turmoil after years of violent protests."

AFP still latching onto the 'elites' spin.

What should have also been mentioned is that there are many many Thai citizens from all walks of life, rich, poor and between, who also dislike / severely dislike, oppose thaksin and what he stands for. Their voices and desires are just as important if not more important than the opinions etc., of the bureaucrats.

The decree should read - "convicts who are male, at least 60 years old, have stolen no more than 100 Billion baht, been responsible for the deaths of no more than 10000 people, have crippled the country no more than twice and are sentenced to under three years in jail"

:cheesy:

Good point about narrowing down a little bit. Don't want too many peasants getting a pardon too, they probably stole from important rich people

"convicts who are at least 60 years old and are sentenced to under three years in jail"

That's not even the least subtle...!!!!

:ph34r:

It's hard to imagine how they could have made this amnesty any more targeted save to say the slate is wiped clean for all box headed megalomaniacs. :annoyed:

The draft, which needs to be approved by King Bhumibol Adulyadej, would grant an amnesty to "convicts who are at least 60 years old and are sentenced to under three years in jail", according to the Bangkok Post English daily.

If this draft is approved, I guess we can expect no criticism of it on these boards, given the nature of its endorsement.

If it weren't for the obvious fallacy of LM, I'd be amused by this possible outcome.

A military source said yesterday the Mi-17 helicopter was actually equipped with radar and could fly at night. Ms Yingluck's delegation also could have had another helicopter for her return on Monday night, which the military was ready to provide.

The source said the prime minister's delegation seemed to intentionally extend her trip in Sing Buri because they boarded the helicopter nearly an hour later than scheduled.

Corruption on top of corruption and so transparent.

The military done a nice little bit of stiring. I wonder is another coup iminent? Or more riots perhaps? Or will it be Mai-bpen-rai?

Made me mad reading the article and I'm not Thai.

jb1

"equipped", but is it "working"

The Black Hawk have radar too. And it still clash in day-light.

I wouldn't take the risk, would you? Honestly.

Equipped but is it working. What do you think? Ok so they can still crash in daylight. So daytime/nightime no difference But she has still been using them over the time that she has been PM.

jb1

Night time the risk is higher.

Same same my mum ask me not to drive long distanct at night (to other provinces). Because the risk is higher.

Does that mean I will crash at night? Not likely, but my mum is no fool too, and I listen to her.

I think YS have made a wise choice.

I think you should get back on her teat.

Is it really the time to do this, also according to her declarations, she didn't know what was going on in the meeting, as a manager myself, if there's an important meeting, I ask for a report and a minute of the meeting afterwards, not doing that denotes a clear sense of abandon of duty (if it's really true she didn't know what was going on there - something I kinda doubt)...

Anyway... I'm sure no one is surprised, please! Everyone was expecting this, am I wrong?

Have a nice day everyone!

Quote from the AFP item:

"The return of Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in Thailand, would likely anger his foes in the Bangkok-based elites in the military, palace and bureaucracy and could spark further turmoil after years of violent protests."

What should have also been mentioned is that there are many many Thai citizens from all walks of life, rich, poor and between, who also dislike / severely dislike, oppose thaksin and what he stands for. Their voices and desires are just as important if not more important than the opinions etc., of the bureaucrats.

this is certainly a view of Bangkokian. go north and ask the rural farmers - they will cheer the return of Mr T, a symbollic meaning of getting opportunities, getting better then nothing.

As I understand it, there is a considerable number of other outstanding charges against the man that have not been tried yet.

What stops / protects him from being arrested and detained for any or all of those?

There have been seven of these still-pending arrest warrants issued for Thaksin:

Thaksin-1.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

This is Thailand and the present government won a fair election. What is being done is being decided by Thais and those of you who do not like it and/or the decisions being made should go back and put your own country to right. Obviously the Thai system is no good for you so why live in a country that you do not like when your country is obviously a paradise which was so good you had to get out and move elsewhere. As for me I accept that I am a guest here and happy with the system because it is the Thai way. When I become uncomfortable for whatever reason I will move on, maybe back to my own country. I respectfully suggest many of the posters have now reached this stage and should leave!

Most of us choose to live in Thailand because we love the country and like living here. That does not mean that we should not be allowed to comment on the crazy things that go on here. For you to say that if I don't like the corrupt puppet government I should leave is quite frankly stupid. These are only observations and opinions that are made as pretty much everyone on this forum have no political voting rights however if you were to have your way we would all say nothing and just comment about how nice the Thai system is and how sunny it is today.

Wow this is unbelievable. Millions still affected by the flood and now we see where this government's priorities lie. The country can be in shambles but they don't care as long as they can bring their beloved leader back. Shameful! :angry:

what's shameful is the man who did more positive things for thailand than anyone in recent history was couped out of office and forced into exile.

you must be joking or living in a make believe world of your own

This isn't an amnesty. It is a pardon. The members need to understand this important difference.

An amnesty would be a "blanket coverage" or immunity over controversial issues that have not been convicted.

The proposed pardon would be for the 2 years sentenced in the Ratchadaphisek land case, and that case only.

As I understand it, there is a considerable number of other outstanding charges against the man that have not been tried yet.

What stops / protects him from being arrested and detained for any or all of those?

"What stops / protects him from being arrested and detained for any or all of those"?

HE appointed and controls the police (his old school buddies or relations of his) - that's why!!!!!!:ph34r:.

Quote from the AFP item:

this is certainly a view of Bangkokian. go north and ask the rural farmers - they will cheer the return of Mr T, a symbollic meaning of getting opportunities, getting better then nothing.

Depends on the village you go to, but yes it is true that more people have fallen victim to Thaksin's propaganda in the north than any other area of the country. Too bad they can't see the truth of what they are supporting.

From time to time I see replies like this... so, you're saying because you live in a foreign country and have an opinion you should keep it to yourself? Non-sense dude, grow up. In a global economy, your country is the place where you live and you should express your opinion and improve things.

I do charitable work, because this is not my country I should let everyone being screwed and underwater? Really, grow up!!! or at least think before you post something... seriously!

A military source said yesterday the Mi-17 helicopter was actually equipped with radar and could fly at night. Ms Yingluck's delegation also could have had another helicopter for her return on Monday night, which the military was ready to provide.

The source said the prime minister's delegation seemed to intentionally extend her trip in Sing Buri because they boarded the helicopter nearly an hour later than scheduled.

Corruption on top of corruption and so transparent.

The military done a nice little bit of stiring. I wonder is another coup iminent? Or more riots perhaps? Or will it be Mai-bpen-rai?

Made me mad reading the article and I'm not Thai.

jb1

"equipped", but is it "working"

The Black Hawk have radar too. And it still clash in day-light.

I wouldn't take the risk, would you? Honestly.

Equipped but is it working. What do you think? Ok so they can still crash in daylight. So daytime/nightime no difference But she has still been using them over the time that she has been PM.

jb1

Night time the risk is higher.

Same same my mum ask me not to drive long distanct at night (to other provinces). Because the risk is higher.

Does that mean I will crash at night? Not likely, but my mum is no fool too, and I listen to her.

I think YS have made a wise choice.

Hmmm Really. :blink:

jb1

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Thai-PM-Sets-Priorities-for-New-Government-128239168.html

In her first address before parliament, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the priorities for her administration will be reconciliation, economic development and crackdowns on narcotics and corruption.

I suppose reconciliation can be crossed off the list of her priorities.

There have been seven of these still-pending arrest warrants issued for Thaksin:

Thaksin-1.jpg

Any source for the above other than a jpg on a photobucket page? Is photobucket regularly used as a repository for the Royal Thai police Arrest Documents?

Quote from the AFP item:

That would be slightly less than half the population.

Not hardly a inconsequential block of voters and their families.

So this is not acceptable, unless you subscribe to

the absolute tyranny controlled by a very close majority.

Edited by animatic