Mae Sot Visa Run

mhortig

The Mae Sot visa run looks set for the friday the 16th, apparently there is a service out of NS bus station on the hour so we will try for the 8 am departure. I have requested dark windows and no bunting but I am sure someone will get wind of the event and there will endless stops for photgraphs. Sometimes being a "superstar" and "local hero" does have its down sides!"

Of course I have no control on the other side of the border so am taking lots of signed photos and my new winner, guanranteed lottery number for next draw only 100 bts!:o .

Edited by nong38

OK. :D

So it's OK for a shaved headed guy, tattooed with ear-rings, wearing a string vest with a bottle of Heineken in hand to border-cross but he has to leave his Rottweiler behind.:D

When I first read your post I thought that you had seen me at the check point the other day. Then I spotted the Heineken bit, I had a Tiger. Come on now own up, how do you know my wife's name is Rottweiler.

Oh !! nice one.:D Yeah !! my wife is cute but has a bite like Pit bull.

OK. :D

So it's OK for a shaved headed guy, tattooed with ear-rings, wearing a string vest with a bottle of Heineken in hand to border-cross but he has to leave his Rottweiler behind.:D

When I first read your post I thought that you had seen me at the check point the other day. Then I spotted the Heineken bit, I had a Tiger. Come on now own up, how do you know my wife's name is Rottweiler.

Oh !! nice one.:D Yeah !! my wife is cute but has a bite like Pit bull.

I heard that people from Nakhon sawan are carried across the border by sedan chair and are given 500 bts to leave is this till the case and ! what happens on the return journey? A chap in Pooket told me you came back across the river by raft then an old routemaster bus would be waiting to take us back to the immigration office what will they think of next!

• 5 weeks later...

Just to confirm that the Mae Sot Friendship Bridge Visa Crossing is open i went on the 2nd Jan 2012 and got my 90 day non imm. o re-entry stamp no problems just like it was before. If you want to confirm it is open before you leave home telephone 055563002 for upto date information.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I also confirm that the Mae Sot border is open. We went there on the 29th of January 2012 for a visa run. We had to pay the 500baht in Myanmar and they kept the visa until you come back to the border.

We only loosed half an hour when entering back to thailand because only one officer was working.

OK. biggrin.gif

So it's OK for a shaved headed guy, tattooed with ear-rings, wearing a string vest with a bottle of Heineken in hand to border-cross but he has to leave his Rottweiler behind.biggrin.gif

Oh !! nice one.biggrin.gif Yeah !! my wife is cute but has a bite like Pit bull.

I heard that people from Nakhon sawan are carried across the border by sedan chair and are given 500 bts to leave is this till the case and ! what happens on the return journey? A chap in Pooket told me you came back across the river by raft then an old routemaster bus would be waiting to take us back to the immigration office what will they think of next!

Don't know only go once a year for 30mins in immigration and go back home.

People from Nakhon Sawan sounds scary, delusions of grandeur !! First sign of a maddness disorder, maybe there's radiation in the smog. rolleyes.gif

An inflammatory profanity post has been removed.

Yes and I can guess who and not the first time.jap.gif

Ah a Fortune Teller! Do you 6 numbers to tell me of?

Have 1151221521 coffee1.gif

If these dont come up ( cost me 100 bts!) I will be knocking on your door at 4am! If they do I will buy you a hunting outfit! for day trips to that seaside by the riverviolin.gif I know wher you live, just look for the BIke outside!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by nong38

• 2 weeks later...

Ah a Fortune Teller! Do you 6 numbers to tell me of?

Have 1151221521 coffee1.gif

If these dont come up ( cost me 100 bts!) I will be knocking on your door at 4am! If they do I will buy you a hunting outfit! for day trips to that seaside by the riverviolin.gif I know wher you live, just look for the BIke outside!!!!!!!!!!!

Those numbers worked for me that's why my place is the same as Fred's, 4am em ah ah, without prior apointment you would probably be shot on sight by my guards. laugh.pngbiggrin.pngcool.png

Edited by Kwasaki

It was me, did you really guess that right smile.png

Mae Sot today, easy entry to Thailand, no questions asked. But when I departed, took almost 10 min and when I finally picked my passport, I saw they had wrote down 8 or 9 my previous entry/exit dates behind departure card. Still, no problem, just had to wait more than usual.

Edited by hullupullo

Mae Sot today, easy entry to Thailand, no questions asked. But when I departed, took almost 10 min and when I finally picked my passport, I saw they had wrote down 8 or 9 my previous entry/exit dates behind departure card. Still, no problem, just had to wait more than usual.

Well you are now back safe and sound so relax a bit, did they ask you for proof of where you are staying in Thailand?

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm that the Mae Sot Friendship Bridge Visa Crossing is open i went on the 2nd Jan 2012 and got my 90 day non imm. o re-entry stamp no problems just like it was before. If you want to confirm it is open before you leave home telephone 055563002 for upto date information.

thanks for the info and number, i have a visa run coming up soon and will try the m/s crossing.

does anyone know if there are visa run vans/transport out of sukhothai or do you just take a bus to m/s and tuk tuk to the crossing? Also i read there is a 500bt fee, is there any other requirements like photos...

thanks for the advice.

From the bus station the motor bike taxi is 80/100 bt and they will wait for you, 500bts to the Burma folks, they are very nice and will turn you round real quick if you ask, did not ask for a photo either, have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

From the bus station the motor bike taxi is 80/100 bt and they will wait for you, 500bts to the Burma folks, they are very nice and will turn you round real quick if you ask, did not ask for a photo either, have a good day.

Got home safe yesterday no problems no traffic jams at 430 pm at mo chit.

thanks for the info.

visa run from Sukhothai:

I believe there is 1 van per day leaving from Sukhothai bus station to Mae Sot ( best i could understand anyways ) but it was full so i don't know the details.

there are lots of buses between Sukhothai and Tak. bus is 53bt

there are vans between Suk and Tak 60bt

Vans from Tak to Mae Sot are 78 bt

the trip from Suk to Mae Sot took less than 3 hours including transfers and waiting. Travel time was about 1 hour from Suk to Tak and 1 hour from Tak to Mae Sot

The motor cycle taxi was 60-100 bt to the border I got mine for 60, a thai had to pay 100 go figure, there were no tuk tuk or taxis and trip is 6 km or more.

the fee is 500bt (don't forget to get your departure stamp) for the 24 hour visa.

very simple. I walked around Myawaddy for a couple of hours in the heat, don't know what i was think but my brain cooked. The town is pretty amazing with some really cool photo ops. Can't wait to explore more and hopefuly one day myanmar will grant visas on arrival at the border, that would be great.

thanks again for the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

No didn't know it was you just a little baiting. biggrin.png

Before I meant to say I have to go Maesot twice a year for marriage extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom.

It's nice the way they write that, always a temporary alien. biggrin.png

Anyway it was absolutely packed out now the border is open, with the paperwork required did the same as last year but still not good enough, they moved the goal posts again like they do every year.

Up to date list for anyone as of Wednesday 10th that go for Marriage extension at Maesot immigration.

Check List for TM7 form :-. Applying for further marriage extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom.

Other requirements may be needed for new applicants, telephone and ask.

PLEASE NOTE :- Sign all Documents and Photocopy’s with a BLUE pen.

1. Fill out 2 TM7 application forms by hand with a blue pen & put contact phone numbers. Sign on both sides of the TM7 forms.

2. Affix one late Colour Photo 4 cm x 6 cm to each of the TM7 forms.

3. The applicant’s original passport with at least 6 months validation.

Two colour photocopy’s of passport page showing your photo & your passport number.

Two photocopy’s of the page showing the last date you entered into Thailand.

Two photocopy’s of your TM6 arrival / departure card. Sign all copies.

4. The applicant’s Bank passbook in sole name only.

Two photocopy’s of the first bank book account information page.

Two photocopy’s of the page showing 400,000bht deposited for a three month period, or 40,000 bht a month paid in each month or a combination of both prior to TM7 form application date. Sign all copies.

5. Arrange to have a Letter from the Bank 1 or 2 days before going, confirming that the amount of 400,000bht has been deposited in the account of applicant for the three month period required prior to visiting Immigration office or the other money requirement.

Photocopy Letter and sign photocopy only.

6. The original Thai wife I.D. card. 2 colour photocopy’s showing both sides of card. Wife to sign both copy’s.

7. The Thai wife blue House registration book.

Two photocopy’s & Wife to sign both copy’s.

8. The original official Thai marriage Certificate KhorRor 3.

Two photocopy’s of each & couple to sign

9. 4 recent colour photos of your wife and you inside the house mounted onto 4 sheets of A4 paper.

4 recent colour photos of your wife and you outside by the house mounted onto 4 sheets of A4 paper. Couple to sign.

10. 2 diagram area A4 maps showing location of address. Couple to sign copies.

11. Fill out and sign 2 applying for permit acknowledgment forms & applicant sign.

12. You then be asked to sit and they will take a picture of you.

13. The cash fee of 1,900bht plus 20 baht for copy receipt.

14. Best to go Maesot Immigration about 1 month before or just under to re-apply every year.

15. If something else is asked for they will usually let you post it on.

Edited by Kwasaki

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the current situation at Mae sot is it all normal at minute for visa runs or best to phone before going ?

Thanks

Open and very very busy, maybe you know this but if you pay a Burma guide to take you across the bridge you get straight to the front of the queue the Burma side.:)

• 10 months later...

Just did a visa run from Sukhothai to Mae Sot today.

Mini van out of sukhothai booked full all day. They have vans leaving sukhothai 815am to 515pm (no 1215 only 1245) every hour. tel# 083-9503557. and mini vans to Tak leaving every hour starting 8am to 5 pm.

I got the minivan to Tak and then transfered to another mini van from Tak to Mae Sot. Trip was about 3 hours. Motorcycle taxis in mae sot are 100bt to the Moei river, friendship bridge. They have a sign at the bus station stating distance and fares charged and will not lower the price.

The visa for myanmar is 10 usd or 500bt and i went in to see Myawaddy. They said i could only stay until 5pm.

The city has changed alot in the last 12 months. Gone are most of the street food vendors and small food shops close to the immigration office. They have been replaced with clothing stores and electronic stores. I went farther into Myawaddy this trip and alot of the bicycles and older vehicles have been replaced with newer cars and new samlors.

I saw a sign that read " smile and welcome tourists ". The burmese are very nice people and not camera shy at all. I had my 70-200 2.8 lens on my camera and people were posing everywhere i went. There was alot of pointing at the camera also which made me more than alittle nervous. That kind of open attention to my equipment cant be all good.

On the way out i asked about visas and border crossings. The offical said started between april 24-may 1 they will allow entry into Myanmar via Myawaddy if you have a visa. You will be able to get one from either bangkok or before you leave your country. I am not familuar with Myanmar visas so i don't know if they say this alot and then it never happens or if this is legit and the border will be open at the end of the month for entry into the country via Myawaddy.

I took the bus back from the main terminal by the airport. It was 200 bt and took 3.5 hours although we left late and we had to stop 3 times for check points. The mini vans by the way were stopped at all check points and they were unloading all the passengers at each check point to varify id.

Whats the current situation at Mae sot is it all normal at minute for visa runs or best to phone before going ?

Thanks

Open and very very busy, maybe you know this but if you pay a Burma guide to take you across the bridge you get straight to the front of the queue the Burma side.smile.png

You don't have to pay the burma guide. you just walk to the front.

On the thai side as you leave thailand an officer will bring you to the front of the queue. I went to window #3.

On the burma side i went to the special visa area inside the building to pay the visa and get a number to enter the country for a few hours.

On return to the thai side i was told before leaving thailand to go straight to window #4. Again no waiting in line This was all instructed to myself from officials. I felt a bit guilty but the lines were long and it was all legit so i will take it.

Just did a visa run from Sukhothai to Mae Sot today.

Mini van out of sukhothai booked full all day. They have vans leaving sukhothai 815am to 515pm (no 1215 only 1245) every hour. tel# 083-9503557. and mini vans to Tak leaving every hour starting 8am to 5 pm.

I got the minivan to Tak and then transfered to another mini van from Tak to Mae Sot. Trip was about 3 hours. Motorcycle taxis in mae sot are 100bt to the Moei river, friendship bridge. They have a sign at the bus station stating distance and fares charged and will not lower the price.

The visa for myanmar is 10 usd or 500bt and i went in to see Myawaddy. They said i could only stay until 5pm.

The city has changed alot in the last 12 months. Gone are most of the street food vendors and small food shops close to the immigration office. They have been replaced with clothing stores and electronic stores. I went farther into Myawaddy this trip and alot of the bicycles and older vehicles have been replaced with newer cars and new samlors.

I saw a sign that read " smile and welcome tourists ". The burmese are very nice people and not camera shy at all. I had my 70-200 2.8 lens on my camera and people were posing everywhere i went. There was alot of pointing at the camera also which made me more than alittle nervous. That kind of open attention to my equipment cant be all good.

On the way out i asked about visas and border crossings. The offical said started between april 24-may 1 they will allow entry into Myanmar via Myawaddy if you have a visa. You will be able to get one from either bangkok or before you leave your country. I am not familuar with Myanmar visas so i don't know if they say this alot and then it never happens or if this is legit and the border will be open at the end of the month for entry into the country via Myawaddy.

I took the bus back from the main terminal by the airport. It was 200 bt and took 3.5 hours although we left late and we had to stop 3 times for check points. The mini vans by the way were stopped at all check points and they were unloading all the passengers at each check point to varify id.

Staying until 6pm is OK that's what is says on the sign and that's also when the border closes but all of this will change very soon when they allow overnight stays etc. Apparently if you arrive from other points in Myanmar, this is already allowed but you can't cross into Thailand that way yet.

Now it's the 24th? I was told the road would open just after the Water Festival as the immigration guy put it, now it seems that date has just been pushed back by a week. I believe 14 day visas should also become available on arrival but my immigration official also suggested getting a visa in advance. This crossing will thus become the first crossing that allows official overland crossings into central Myanmar from another country without getting permission. The only other crossing where this may now also be allowed is Ruili, China but I'm not sure of the exact requirements there.

Thanks

Open and very very busy, maybe you know this but if you pay a Burma guide to take you across the bridge you get straight to the front of the queue the Burma side.smile.png
You don't have to pay the burma guide. you just walk to the front.

On the thai side as you leave thailand an officer will bring you to the front of the queue. I went to window #3.

On the burma side i went to the special visa area inside the building to pay the visa and get a number to enter the country for a few hours.

On return to the thai side i was told before leaving thailand to go straight to window #4. Again no waiting in line This was all instructed to myself from officials. I felt a bit guilty but the lines were long and it was all legit so i will take it.

Thais and foreigners can go past all the Burmese workers and be processed separately.

Can anyone who has recently been to this crossing ask if it is now possible to travel to Kawkareik and Hpa-an (during the day) and then return back to Thailand the same day? Since it is apparently possible to travel to Myawaddy coming from the other direction, it would be nice to know if the officials will allow this now or if we still have to wait a few more weeks.