Working With Flood

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my GF (Asian, not Thai though) who's an English teacher in one of the northern Bangkok schools.

She's just received an e-mail stating that:

- as her school is flooded she will continue her work in another branch, north from the current location.

- In the next semester she'll be working longer hours and Saturdays.

X-max holidays canceled.

All this comes a day after an e-mail stating that she's supposed to show up at school on the 1-st of December. In the meantime, she got a flight ticket home.

The area where the new school is, is still flooded. She's expected to show up there in 4 days, 8 AM, full on teachers outfit. For every day of delay they'll deduct from her salary.

Her house if flooded and I guess they expect her to swim to her new workplace, change there, teach and come home at night, again swimming through the flood.

I'm not even sure what to ask you. Is that right? Is this by the law? Is there anything one can do?

She's getting just 27k a month from which they hold back another 3k as a "contract completion ransom" which means that by now they have about 35k of her money which makes it harder to just quit.

stay dry,

MK

Edited by Scott
formatting

You raise some interesting points and it is going to be very interesting to see how the pay situation works out for people who have missed extended periods of work through no fault of their own.

By the way, I 'swim', wade and waddle through the water and muck each day with my clean clothes in a backpack and change when I get to work. I am not sure if it's dedication or foolishness--I am tending to think it's the latter.

Like her, I am working at a different school than my regular one, which is flooded. The school has been quite understanding about my late arrivals and more than willing to let me leave a little early. Those flood waters are quite treacherous when it's dark.

Edited by Scott
remark added

Since the floods started I put buying tickets home on hold as I knew for a fact that the term would be extended, sorry to say it but your friend should have thought that too. If she bought for now then she bought very quickly, since the second email came one day later than the first one.

How do you know that the area where the new school is, is flooded? Where is it?

How do they have 35K of her money?

Added - Surprising that schools are opening for students when they are still flooded, mind you it is not about the education in most places but the money involved

Edited by beano2274

She signed the contract, there is no provisions about a disaster, it is also written in there that she has to do what the school tells her to do, they have told her to go to another location to teach, and she has to do it.

My mate used to get deducted 2000per day although he did not earn that in a day.

Since the floods started I put buying tickets home on hold as I knew for a fact that the term would be extended, sorry to say it but your friend should have thought that too. If she bought for now till 01 December then she bought very quickly, since the second email came one day later than the first one.

How do you know that the area where the new school is, is flooded? Where is it?

How do they have 35K of her money?

Nevermind the ticket, thats not a problem for her as she's asian so home is not that far away. It's a different matter for her western school friends though.

I don't know exacly where the new school is but i know form our friends that the place IS flooded. And so is the place where my girlfriend has her apartment. So anyhow she'll; have to get thorough the flood 2 times a day, 6 days in the week. I don't think that these are civilized working conditions. She's staying with me at the moment, Sukhumvit area. That's I believe around 50 km form the place where she'll be working ( her former work place was 30 km form here)

They have her money cuz like I said the hold back 6k ( the 3 k number in the first post was my mistake - sorry ) of her salary every month to ensure that she complites her contract. Which, at this moment seems like a very good idea of theirs as If it wasn't for that money she'd have an easier time quitting now.

best,

MK

I have a contract were it states I get a bonus at the end of the year, and also states my fixed salary. And I used to have the same when I was a teacher at many Government schools, also using agents. Think naivety on her part about the contract.

Maybe not civilized working conditions, but the students have to put up with the same issues and so do other teachers.

Sorry to say it, if she does not go she will lose her job and money, and there are plenty of other Filipino teachers willing to jump at an opportunity like the one she has, and water is not gonna put them off.

Edited by beano2274

I am wondering if other teachers are experiencing problems with pay and or adverse working conditions for teachers. I know of one school which will open early, but just for teachers. Students will come at a later date.

I know my contract is silent on the issue of a natural disaster, although it does have a clause allowing for teachers to break the contract due to political instability.

I am guessing that the floods will also delay the summer holiday for many teachers.