Buy A Land & Build A House..Where?

pol123

I am assuming you're a foreigner married to a Thai. If you're Thai then you can completely disregard my post. And if your partner is not Thai then you basically just can't buy property here.

Why do you want to buy? The benefits are that 1: you will save a little bit of money in the long run, if you hold the property 5+ years and 2: you can customize your house how you want it.

If you are buying primarily for the first reason then it is a bad reason to buy. Owning property like that in Thailand is a big risk - you face the big risk of losing it automatically when you divorce. Not only that but there are exchange rate and other value oriented risks (like if conditions in Thailand take a turn for the worse). Given the extra risks in Thailand, buying is certainly not a good *financial* decision.

If on the other hand you want to buy simply to customize the place and have less hassle dealing with setting up a new place frequently, then you can still consider buying. However this option is only really a good one for people who are somewhat rich and willing to spend extra money for this *luxury*.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

If you feel secure in your relationship, go for it!

Bought my place 7 years ago and it has doubled in price since then.

Suggest you spend some time looking around the areas that fit your budjet.

Look into growing areas.

Don't let the people here (Some Thai Visa posters) that don't invest or are just living in rental units put you off.

Thailand property is a great investment.

Anywhere out on the San Kam Peng Rd.

Now that our dear leader Khun Mr T will shortly be back in business/saddle expect the place to BOOM.

Nice location and very friendly people (our CoP/Pui yai Banns)with lots of history and on a beautiful day when the sky is blue and the air is crisp...what more do you want....err... and NO Flooding.

Only about 30 minutes drive into CM and roads are...shushh...dee mak krup.

personally, i think that a 30 minute drive to have dinner or something is just enough to put me off and i would end up not really enjoying that much/often what chiang mai has to offer. Just my personal take on it. I think anywhere within a 15 minute drive from town is reasonable, and quiet places can be found within that perimeter.

You might want to check out the Doi Saket region too.

I agree - we have just moved into our new house in Doi Saket a few month ago - and my life has changed completely. The area is great - still mostly agricultural land - lots of beautiful (individual - not Moo Baan) houses being built all the utilities are here and 3 weeks ago we got 3BB internet connected it's just perfect now.

Great views all around 2 Rai of beautiful garden, friendly locals.

Used to live in the city with all the traffic and noise, pollution, used to hang around in Café's,Bars - now I am jogging every day in clean air, ride my bike, do some gardening / work on the house, cook much more at home than before - eat with friends, or just relax. There are plenty of other Farangs /Thais to socialize with and I never miss living in the city for a second.

And if we really need to go - the city is only a 20 minute drive away.

If you feel confident with your partner do it - you will not regret it!

I am just offering sound financial advice. Also way to set up a straw man - I never said only the rich can *afford* a house in Thailand. I said it is a more expensive option (in the long run) given the increased risk - and it is. If things work out perfectly, then sure, maybe he will save some money over 5+ years. But if not, and something things go south... well you have to account for those times. If OP wants to buy a house for luxury reasons then power to him and he totally should do it. But he shouldn't be under the impression that it is a good "investment" or similar nonsense. As for all of this being "verbal vomit" that is just absurd - I certainly don't get mad when someone gives some concrete advice for my particular situation.

As for this part:

Thailand is NOT a big risk if you buy land within the laws.

This goes directly against my understanding of the laws here. From what I understand foreigners are not really allowed to own the land and thus it will end up having to be in someone else's name. Am I wrong in that belief? Because I actually spoke with a lawyer and he told me that directly and I'd appreciate it if you'd refer me to a lawyer that will tell me otherwise. Anyway, I don't think I am too far out of line to point out just how dangerous of a proposition it is to buy a major asset and have it be in someone else's name. That is a very serious concern...

Edits just to fix a few grammar mistakes.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

About buying land within the laws, your response is flawed because you are making assumptions.

From my original post:

I am assuming you're a foreigner married to a Thai. If you're Thai then you can completely disregard my post. And if your partner is not Thai then you basically just can't buy property here.

Anyway I basically stopped reading your post after that. It seems you've got a fight to pick and I'd rather it not be with me. Good day, sir!

• 3 months later...

Everyone has their own preferences on areas they favor, these are mine in order of preference.

1) NW Chiang Mai and Mae Rim

2) SW Chiang Mai and out the Samoeng Rd

Big Gap

3) Doi Saket

4) Mae Jo

Big Gap

5) San Sai

6) Nong Hoy towards Lamphun

Big Gap

7) San Kampaeng

Totally agree with this except would say San Kampeang, on the 1317 is very convenient, so would slip up tot he 3 - 5 range.. On the old Rd its a nightmare..

For me Mae Rim is most nice on the outer edge leading to a long way back into the city.. The Samoeng loop Rd and the Nahm Preah area, out to Obkham etc is my personal favorite. 20 mins from town, yet totally peaceful, no flooding, and not reclaimed rice land.

I am just offering sound financial advice. Also way to set up a straw man - I never said only the rich can *afford* a house in Thailand. I said it is a more expensive option (in the long run) given the increased risk - and it is. If things work out perfectly, then sure, maybe he will save some money over 5+ years. But if not, and something things go south... well you have to account for those times. If OP wants to buy a house for luxury reasons then power to him and he totally should do it. But he shouldn't be under the impression that it is a good "investment" or similar nonsense. As for all of this being "verbal vomit" that is just absurd - I certainly don't get mad when someone gives some concrete advice for my particular situation.

As for this part:

Thailand is NOT a big risk if you buy land within the laws.

This goes directly against my understanding of the laws here. From what I understand foreigners are not really allowed to own the land and thus it will end up having to be in someone else's name. Am I wrong in that belief? Because I actually spoke with a lawyer and he told me that directly and I'd appreciate it if you'd refer me to a lawyer that will tell me otherwise. Anyway, I don't think I am too far out of line to point out just how dangerous of a proposition it is to buy a major asset and have it be in someone else's name. That is a very serious concern...

Edits just to fix a few grammar mistakes.

I read that Thailand is going to start cracking down on foreign owners..

Be that as it may I think some people are making assumptions that are not necessarily right. For all we know he is just going to pay cash for it out of his petty cash.

As to where to live I am sure there are and will be many fine suggestions. But for my self I would want to be here and look around for myself. Who knows he might like some thing close into town. He should at least spend a couple of months here looking around at the different countrysides available and get a idea of what Chiang Mai is like.

As for fresh air not in the north country at this time of the year. Most of the pollution comes from burning out side the city. But if he was to custom build he could build in air purifiers.

Now that our dear leader Khun Mr T will shortly be back in business/saddle expect the place to BOOM.

Nice location and very friendly people (our CoP/Pui yai Banns)with lots of history and on a beautiful day when the sky is blue and the air is crisp...what more do you want....err... and NO Flooding.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you think property may boom if Mr. T, returns to LOS, Not trying to be a smart arse, I just don't know and am interested to know why.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you think property may boom if Mr. T, returns to LOS, Not trying to be a smart arse, I just don't know and am interested to know why.

Tacky is from CM family.. And is likely to push money into areas where his clan is connected.. Stuff like the talked about new airport, the hollywood of the north, new developments etc..

All about payback and groth for the Shinawatra clan.

Really people don't go out the 1317 sure its a nice enough road and a straight shot to the airport, and easy to go into town. You have hot springs throughout the area and friendly folk.

But it's a horrible place, I hardily discourage any who would think of venturing out that way, we don't want the extra traffic. I like my privacy and don't want anybody venturing down our small road and kicking up dust, it makes the soi dogs irritable to have cars come by and make them move outta the road where they like to rest. The ban has only 104 houses and they're more than a kilo from our house with a great fishing lake that costs 10 baht to fish at. I'd expound on the many reasons to stay away but my credibility would stretch too far. But please choose another area, the land is jumping up in price here and it'd be better to look elsewhere where it's cheaper.

is it possible to get half a rai at 200k in cm? dont have much requirements, but prefer to be within 1.5 hours driving away from town

Well, 200k isn't much these days but then again your requirements aren't much either. If I were in your position I'd check over the hill in Samoeng, if you don't think that's too isolated. About 45 minutes or less to town.

200K for half a rai, so 400K / rai. That's doable without going all the way over the hills & far away.. The only issue is finding a small enough plot at that price; 400K/rai is easy to find, but when there's 5 rai then the total investment is high again.

you are right. its very possible to find at 400k/rai for bigger plots but i have problems finding half a rai.

Edited by barefoot1988

A year or two ago the Mrs bought about 2 rai at 250K per rai, and very sceneic. Less than 30 kms from Airport plaza.

So keep looking. It does take time, and asking around. Go talk to any noodle seller and every granny around the villages and you'll come up with something.