Cheapest Golf Round In Bangkok

egeefay

Most of the group I play with in Pattaya generally tip anywhere from 300 to 500, depending on how good the caddy is.

If the caddie does two rounds a day, she gets about 1000 baht from people like you. Someone in 7/11 gets 200 and a degree-qualified teacher gets 250 baht.

Something wrong here don't you think? Why do girls go to pattaya to prostitute themselves - they should get a job as a caddie, screwing foriegn golfers.

You sound like a frustrated teacher.

First of all, as a regular golfer myself, you must understand that you are in a minority of ONE when you talk about giving a caddy less than 100 baht!!

Secondly most caddies at the larger courses do NOT go out more than once a day. Some of these courses have 00's of caddies, some do not even get out once per day.

If it is about affordability, then you should not be playing golf.

I wish I could set a video camera up, of when you arrive at the golf course. Those poor caddies are running for cover hoping that its not their turn :D

I could not agree w/ you more. Having traveling to Thailand every year (since 2000) to play golf, I know many caddie could not get a round in because there are not enough golfer @ their course. On top they are require to be there everyday to work. If they don't, simply they loose their job! at this time of the year (monsoon season) they still require to be there :o

Since we came to live here in Feb my wife who is Thai and myself play Royal Thai Irrigration course once or twice each week. It costs us 550 baht each and a 200 baht tip to each caddie..we always give 200baht...good or bad and usually the caddie is ok..the course is in good condition this year. We meet a lot of Thais on the course, nearly all are really really friendly and seem to like to play with us... and they all seem to give 200baht. Some of the caddies do get two rounds in, in a day..yes its good money.

It will be a pity if the course closes at the end of the year.

Anyone have any suggestion on a cheap but decent place to play a round of golf in Bangkok.

I like to walk the course and don't need a caddy

Yiu have to take a caddie, and the cheapest place is Watermill, but its miles away

Prime City, out by Watermill, doesn't have carts but you do have to take a caddy. Also cheaper.

TH

• 3 weeks later...

Standard tip is 200 Baht. People vary it by about 100 Baht either way, depending on quality of service and politeness, though I've never gone below 150 Bht. This is at a good course, but I think you also need to factor in the quality of the course and its location.

50 Baht as a tip is a joke. If one's Thai friends pay that, then one's Thai friends are not the norm. The standard for Thai golfers is 200 Baht at a regular course. Caddies don't work every day of the week, and days they do work, they may have to sit around a long time waiting for their turn. It works on a rotation system.

If you find a good caddy, call the course the day before and ask for her/him to be your caddy - that's another reason they have numbers. They'll be happy you did, but not if you tip 50 Baht.

• 1 month later...
Most of the group I play with in Pattaya generally tip anywhere from 300 to 500, depending on how good the caddy is.

If the caddie does two rounds a day, she gets about 1000 baht from people like you. Someone in 7/11 gets 200 and a degree-qualified teacher gets 250 baht.

Something wrong here don't you think? Why do girls go to pattaya to prostitute themselves - they should get a job as a caddie, screwing foriegn golfers.

I agree with most of what you have written.

However, Two rounds a day is vertually impossible as there are many caddies working. That would suggest that the club managers would try and balance the wages to make sure all caddies worked for a 'average' wage.

• 1 month later...

Where it is popular for frangs to golf 1200 to 8000 baht per round (green fee), plus caddie (mandatory) usually 250 - 300 baht, and cart if wanted 550 - 750, so you can figure out the math.

Where frangs don't usually play 400 - 1000 baht per round plus caddie, and or cart, also you can add this up- :o

I think you can see what is going on here, frangs have an endless bank account! (so they think)

Edited by Pundi64

• 1 month later...

Anyway, now we've all told each other how much we tip our caddies, can anyone tell me where there is a nice course situated IN Bangkok. It doesn't have to be magnificant just suitable for a beginner and not too skanky... Thanks.

Where it is popular for frangs to golf 1200 to 8000 baht per round (green fee), plus caddie (mandatory) usually 250 - 300 baht, and cart if wanted 550 - 750, so you can figure out the math.

Where frangs don't usually play 400 - 1000 baht per round plus caddie, and or cart, also you can add this up- :o

I think you can see what is going on here, frangs have an endless bank account! (so they think)

www.thaigolfer.com shows all the courses...read the comments..I have commented on a few courses in that web site...just about all the Thais that I have played with still tip 200 Baht. On the courses around our way, with two exceptions, caddies now only get 4-5 days work each week..so they maybe make 8000Baht/month. But not bad for being at the course say 6-7 Hrs/day. More than a shop girl in The Mall gets.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

haha i tip generally 100 not much more than that, not including their 250fee, thats 350 bhat, thats like 4days work for a macdonalds worker. and half the time, they dont do half their job descripton,

so in my opinion, tip anywhere from 100 up! simple as that. although the better the place, maybe up it like 50 or 100....

as for the person who said if you dont tip them 200 ontop of their fee, you shouldnt be playing....hahaa, thats one of the worst endorsement i have heard for the game. giving a tip more than their fee, is dumb! unless you are spilt with cash.

I'm confused what the pay for some one working in 7/11 or MacDonald’s has to do with tipping a caddy? Is there some sort of pay police out there that makes sure that Thais are all paid the same and don't make what they think is too much?

So now, not only do we have people green with envy of the farangs making a good living, but they are jealous of the Thais that do well.

TH

Edited by thaihome

To answer the OPs original question. The cheapest that I am aware of is UNICO. If you play Tuesday or Thursday I think the price is 680 Baht (including caddy fee but minus the tip). Same golf course after 2:45 every day will run you 930 Baht (including caddy fee but minus the tip). It is ready golf after 2:45; almost have to jog around the course but have never failed to finish a round due to darkness.

FYI the courses all take a cut of the caddy fee. At UNICO the caddy fee is 250 Baht (I believe) and the caddy actually only gets 170 or 180 Baht (although I may be out 10 Baht on what they get).

If they get 3 rounds of golf a week they consider themselves lucky.

• 4 weeks later...
You sound like a frustrated teacher.
Why?
First of all, as a regular golfer myself, you must understand that you are in a minority of ONE when you talk about giving a caddy less than 100 baht!!

Secondly most caddies at the larger courses do NOT go out more than once a day. Some of these courses have 00's of caddies, some do not even get out once per day.

If it is about affordability, then you should not be playing golf.

I wish I could set a video camera up, of when you arrive at the golf course. Those poor caddies are running for cover hoping that its not their turn

I've been playing golf for a long time in Thailand and know how much Thai people give - USUALLY not over 100 baht.

I regularly play with about 20 guys who work in a technical school in Khon Kaen.

These guys all get well less than 1000 baht a day. The course costs 240 baht for a round + 100 baht for the green fees and caddie. These guys normally tip about 50 baht. Are you saying they should give 300 baht tip? Are you saying they shouldn't be playing? Should the course be reserved for farang, tourist golfers who haven't a clue about the cost of living here?

Do you accept and encourage double pricing?

I wish I had a video camera of you walking into 7/11 - them all shouting yippee here comes that rich idiot throwing his money around. or do you not tip the staff there. Why not? Do you tip for a haircut? I suppose that all Thai people tip 200 baht for a haircut too.

Most farang I play with give 200 baht at the good courses in Thailand because they can afford it. It is a tip remember, not a requirement. Sometimes I pay 200 baht if I can afford it and the service is very good. Sometimes I can't afford it, but to say I shouldn't be playing is total <deleted>.

A hundred baht is about right, in many cases Thai people do not tip at all. Tipping is not the norm, it is the exception in Thai Culture. The people you see sleeping in those metal sheds that would pass for torture chambers and pouring concrete twelve hours per day are lucky if they can clear two hundred baht a day so anyone who can just drag a golf bag around a course is not skilled labor, not even educated to any degree most of the time. I do not say such things to be be rude or cruel but to get to the facts.

I can tell you this, I had a Las Vegas tipping attitude in the past but with the collapse of the dollar and medical crises last year I received a very rude wake up call and learned the value of a dollar which is converted to Thai baht. I and many of the Americans I know have given up on tips and tipping and anyone who ever worked in Thailand will be happy to tell you how many tips and bonuses they received while working here, In the end big tippers are just considered dumb, nothing more, nothing less.

As far as cheep golf, I suspect few are willing to disclose their favorite golf locations to tourists. After some of the comments here its no wonder why, as who wants to follow behind some silly tourist throwing money around. I'm sure some will now consider me a cheep a##h%%% but thats far from reality. I do wish the best for all the caddies but I have no time to waste arguing about how caddies should be educated to get paid, that stated would it be that difficult to put them through a 30 day school? Till then I will do my best to avoid them altogether.

I didn't bother to check the dates till after I posted, this thread has been around for some time, just wondering if the same people who were screaming cheapskate are still passing out 500 baht tips with the dollar down to 30?

I didn't bother to check the dates till after I posted, this thread has been around for some time, just wondering if the same people who were screaming cheapskate are still passing out 500 baht tips with the dollar down to 30?

Yes I am, and happy to do so.

Having read your previous post, I am talking to someone who hasnt got a clue, when it comes to Golf :o

Re the dollar being down to 30, has absolutely no bearing on being able to afford 500 baht :D

If it does, then you should not be playing golf, you should be back home, earning money to allow you to enjoy the finer things in life :D

• Like 1

golf course called Century Chanburi, on outskirts of BKK heading towards Pattaya. Green Fee B200, Caddy fee B200, carts b500 (not mandatory) I tip B200 good or bad and figure I'm supporting the economy. As far as their monthly wages they also get 80% of the caddy fee so if they work 5 days a week and get a round a day they still make 8000 per month. Many work 7 days and long hours as they are also required to work landscaping and picking up balls on driving range during slow times.

Standard tip is 200bht even the Thais I have played with have tipped that, I tip 200-500 depending on caddie I have had some girls that have worked on the courses for 15 years, so for some on here to say that they are not skilled is a load of horse do do. After 2 holes these caddies know how long I hit a ball are are picking out the correct iron for me and there reads on putts can be amazing. The Thais in my opinion tip what they can afford they are buddhist afterall and there beliefs I think play a large role in the way they tip, kindness breeds kindness.

Standard tip is 200bht even the Thais I have played with have tipped that, I tip 200-500 depending on caddie I have had some girls that have worked on the courses for 15 years, so for some on here to say that they are not skilled is a load of horse do do. After 2 holes these caddies know how long I hit a ball are are picking out the correct iron for me and there reads on putts can be amazing. The Thais in my opinion tip what they can afford they are buddhist afterall and there beliefs I think play a large role in the way they tip, kindness breeds kindness.

Finally a post not dripping with emotion/sarcasm. The OP only wanted to know a cheap course to play in Bangkok and his post generated 4 pages of childlike argument about caddies wages and who tips the most. At the end of the day golf in Thailand is one of the more pleasant experiences here, I agree with Nick, the caddies are very adept at judging what club should be used and can read the greens better than myself. What a great life if we don't weaken!

Yes I am, and happy to do so.

Having read your previous post, I am talking to someone who hasnt got a clue, when it comes to Golf :o

Re the dollar being down to 30, has absolutely no bearing on being able to afford 500 baht :D

If it does, then you should not be playing golf, you should be back home, earning money to allow you to enjoy the finer things in life :D

So now I don't have a clue when it comes to golf? Just for your information I have plenty of money and plenty of knowledge about golf since I grew up next door to a Arnold Palmer Driving Range and a Public Golf Course. My father was a Caddy as a teenager and later a Golf Course Marshall, an avid player and well known local golfer too who could get on the course with anyone. While I may not be famous I know the game and its history better than most and I can hammer forge my own irons, carve out my own woods, cast my own putter and even make my own golf balls to play the original game based on any years rules dating back to Old Tom in Scotland.

Now what is it that you know about golf other than spending money? While money is needed to play the game, the game is not all about money, the game is all about the game!