Thaivisa 2012/2555 Calendar

Tywais

I am tempted to ask the organizers to not include over-saturated HDR photos in the calendar. Unless ALL the photos in the calendar are overcooked, the ones that are not will look, in comparison, odd to the rest, which is ironic since the surreal HDR photos submitted here are the ones that are odd.

I am not intending to start a debate on the merits or lack of which in heavy-handed HDR tweaking, but I don't think there is much reasonable argument over the fact that these over-saturated HDR photos are surrealistic and not really representative of the island in reality.

I mean you can say, "Wow that's a cool photo," looking at the saturated HDR photos here, but you cannot say, "Wow, that's really what Samui looks like."

If, however, the calendar is supposed to be a stylized and abstract representation of the island, then I can point you to someone who has a wide selection of such amazing photos.

Got all of them in any size you like. Posted them here in a more convenient format.

post-140166-0-73328400-1322795380_thumb.

Girls of Isan

post-140166-0-78775300-1322795384_thumb.

Storm on Samui (5 islands at the horizon)

post-140166-0-00033700-1322795388_thumb.

more bad weather on Samui

post-140166-0-36861600-1322795391_thumb.

Koh PaNgan

post-140166-0-54858900-1322795392_thumb.

Lotus in my garden (Samui)

post-140166-0-00247500-1322795396_thumb.

Ban Rak Bay with Big Buddha at the end

post-140166-0-87539000-1322795399_thumb.

Elephant trekking on Samui

post-140166-0-41353700-1322795403_thumb.

Wat Rong Khun outside Chiang Rai

Many nice contributions for 2012. Here are a few of mine. (Larger versions are available)

Crazy mannequins in Kanchanaburi

post-44364-0-23695200-1323041408_thumb.j

World famous Bangkok traffic

post-44364-0-00722600-1323041382_thumb.j

Tuk Tuk (Samlor) in Ayuttaya

post-44364-0-54152700-1323041334_thumb.j

Mural at Wat Po

post-44364-0-42584700-1323041306_thumb.j

Temple roof tiles at Wat Po

post-44364-0-87986200-1323041282_thumb.j

Buddha in cave

post-44364-0-42071300-1323041264_thumb.j

Ruins in Ayuttaya

post-44364-0-06604300-1323041238_thumb.j

Mural at Wat Phra Kaew

post-44364-0-73951300-1323041205_thumb.j

Demons holding Chedi at Wat Phra Kaew

post-44364-0-56230200-1323041178_thumb.j

Obama on the Chao Phraya

post-44364-0-78831800-1323041147_thumb.j

Entering an island hong at Phang Nga Bay

post-44364-0-48455000-1323041122_thumb.j

King's Palace in Hua Hin

post-44364-0-09299300-1323041106_thumb.j

I am tempted to ask the organizers to not include over-saturated HDR photos in the calendar. Unless ALL the photos in the calendar are overcooked, the ones that are not will look, in comparison, odd to the rest, which is ironic since the surreal HDR photos submitted here are the ones that are odd.

I am not intending to start a debate on the merits or lack of which in heavy-handed HDR tweaking, but I don't think there is much reasonable argument over the fact that these over-saturated HDR photos are surrealistic and not really representative of the island in reality.

I mean you can say, "Wow that's a cool photo," looking at the saturated HDR photos here, but you cannot say, "Wow, that's really what Samui looks like."

If, however, the calendar is supposed to be a stylized and abstract representation of the island, then I can point you to someone who has a wide selection of such amazing photos.

I have just come across the new (?) EXR technology from Fuji. It takes 2 shots +2 and -2 stops apart and combines them in the camera.

See the attached images.

It makes the whole argument of over-mashed HDR more or less redundant. Now there's no excuse for beyond-belief synthesised HDRs - and images that were previously inconceivable on silver-based emulsions are instantly attainable.. (Ansel Adams wrote a whole treatise on how to determine what exposure to set . . . it was an element in my MA thesis . . . although it had already been noted at that time that Kodak had abandoned all R&D into emulsion-based imaging in favour of the up&coming digital market. . .

ROOO - please leave this a few days before you move it to somewhere more appropriate! Ta dude.

R

post-4665-0-56200300-1323259689_thumb.jp

post-4665-0-43545700-1323259700_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

PLEASE ...

can folks who submit images here have a thought for not only the way 16 mega pixel images take to display but also how they end up placing themselves on the page? (ie - all I can see of most of these state-of-the-art images is the dandruff and nits on the ethnic dancer's right eyebrow . . .)

In addition to this the administration might like to know that anything that is being posted whilst these mega-images are struggling to be displayed (and I have a snappy puter with SSD drive and sh*t hot graphics - but a TOT BBand connection . . .) ... gets wrecked. Posts get junked whilst the page is still trying to load . . . I have to try again and then the system crashes, posts are duplicated making headaches for the mods, and also no doubt messing up the whole system for others trying to post . . .

It's wonderful if you have a cutting-edge snapper and i am delighted for you. But, like several thoughtful folks here, please offer up low res images in this forum. You can always send the big basta**s to the panel later if your images are selected.

No matter how sharp and huge your pics are,, it's just not needed to whack them up here and now . . . :rolleyes:

Just a thought . . .

R

(ps - and ta to all the folks that have put up amazing images. They've been nicked right away for my personal album of Thailand!)

Edited by robsamui

A lot of beautiful pictures here! Over-saturated or not :whistling:

I cannot avoid posting just a couple of my butterfly pictures, while knowing they are not suitable for the Thaivisa Calendar :rolleyes:

6404433055_0e87e173bc_z.jpg

A Lacewing

6424037059_810c65e688_z.jpg

2 Common Sailor mating

Well, in that case, me too!

NAMUANG WATERFALL, Samui, just after dawn, before the elephants are out.

And please note that this is not an image of common sailors mating . . .

(with apologies and thanks to anguid . . .)

(Made in Thailand)

R

post-4665-0-74278800-1323263588_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

PLEASE ...

can folks who submit images here have a thought for not only the way 16 mega pixel images take to display but also how they end up placing themselves on the page? (ie - all I can see of most of these state-of-the-art images is the dandruff and nits on the ethnic dancer's right eyebrow . . .)

In addition to this the administration might like to know that anything that is being posted whilst these mega-images are struggling to be displayed (and I have a snappy puter with SSD drive and sh*t hot graphics - but a TOT BBand connection . . .) ... gets wrecked. Posts get junked whilst the page is still trying to load . . . I have to try again and then the system crashes, posts are duplicated making headaches for the mods, and also no doubt messing up the whole system for others trying to post . . .

It's wonderful if you have a cutting-edge snapper and i am delighted for you. But, like several thoughtful folks here, please offer up low res images in this forum. You can always send the big basta**s to the panel later if your images are selected.

No matter how sharp and huge your pics are,, it's just not needed to whack them up here and now . . . :rolleyes:

Just a thought . . .

R

(ps - and ta to all the folks that have put up amazing images. They've been nicked right away for my personal album of Thailand!)

I had the same problem with these large photos. I don't understand why not using the normal "Click to attach files" function?

My screen was just jumping around when I tried to see what other people had posted so in the end I went to "My settings" and "Profiles" and IGNORED the poster of megafiles.

:huh::(<_<

PLEASE ...

Just a thought . . .

R

I had the same problem with these large photos. I don't understand why not using the normal "Click to attach files" function?

My screen was just jumping around when I tried to see what other people had posted so in the end I went to "My settings" and "Profiles" and IGNORED the poster of megafiles.

:huh::(<_<

What a great idea!

R

sorry about the big pix folks... :wai:

Ideally for me posting between 1200-2400 pixels wide, which gives me 4-8 inch print quality, is the best as attachments and simplifies things for me. The problem with the small sample size images is having to contact the member if one is chosen and no guarantee they (member) will be available in a timely manner for me to include them in the calendar.

There are now 177 photos from 26 members contributed.

I would say there are enough to choose from now and will close the topic tomorrow (Sunday) to begin the evaluation process.

Decided to close it now so we can start working on the selection process. I have created a web album with all the contributions from members and normalized their size to 1024 wide to be more easily viewed. The first cut of the selection has been presented to the mods/admins for recommendations.

Thaivisa 2012 Photo Contributions Web Album

Thaivisa wishes to thank all members for their excellent contributions. The only problem is you made the decision process very difficult. ;)

:jap: