Wat Phra Kaew

brianmarinus

Gents:

Great exchange regarding the Phra Kaew (sp?). I remember being fascinated when first visiting Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok, just realizing it was nearly three decades ago, and later perplexed when seeing it's namesake wat in Vientiane. It seems one of the most interesting apects of this icon and its saga - and many other wonderful things Thai - is that we won't likely ever be certain of all the facts. And therein lies an important part of the attraction. Thanks for the contributions.

Cheers,

Bahnhof

In a cosmological related context its possession has become a requisite of a legitimizing

confirmation of worldly power. Therefore it is also now where it has been for centuries already

namely there where the Highest Institution resides. The fact that it gold clothings more or less

belong to the Royal Regalia supports this view.

But as Konjianghai already pointed out: its origine is here! The Chiang Saen style, embedded

in Lanna culture, indicates it clearly.

The find of such an uniquely sized piece of jade must have been perceived as a 'sign from above'

and he, she or those who decided to honor its nature by shaping it into a Buddha image have thus

chosen to add an enormous mythological power to it.

Early chronicles that could shade light on early Thai history are partly contradictory (depending

on the views of the person that ordered their writings), so legends had to explain and confirm

its historical relevance. However, the existing historical sources locate Chiang Rai as the place

where the Emerald Buddha was discovered (in 1434?).

The emerald became jade in the mean time and that will not be the end of the historical fact-finding.

It is great that Chiang Rai has been honored with a copy of the original image, blessed by

His Majesty The King of Thailand, an honor confirmed by His Daughter, HRH Princess Sirindhorn

when She inaugurated the new temple a few years ago.

Therefore I hold the opinion that the present Emerald Buddha of Chiang Rai may reflect the pride

of Chiang Rai for being the location where the one and only Phra Kaeo Morakot revealed itself.

Limbo :yohan:

Thanks for your informative input Limbo. I think I've found myself completely by chance in 3 of the temporal houses of the Emerald Buddha - at Chiang Rai, Luang Prabang and Vientiane. In addition to the cosmological importance you refer to, the spiritual importance cannot really be understood by most of us fls I believe, including me!

Phra Kaew is not the same one of the legend. As art historians pointed it was of Chiang Saen Style. Perhaps people took the legend trying to matched up making this founding a mysterious story.

If it was of Indian origin then it should be Indian style.

My belive is that it was made here in Chiang Saen. Even we do not know who or where exactly created the statue or where or on what reasons the statue was kept hidden.

Perhaps on that period there was war. I'm sure it was hidden to protect from stolen.

People said who ever possess Phra Kaew shall be prosper. No wonder Lanna felt apart after Phra Kaew left with King Setthathirath. Vientiane was torn when Phra Kaew was taken by Siam. Siam still prosper because Phra Kaew is with them.

Anyway i rather want the original statue not a replica.

Edited by konjianghai