Badminton Courts In Chiang Mai Central

mrireland

Hi, i played badminton in the 700th anniversary stadium with the girlfriend today and really enjoyed it. Going to start playing 5-7 days a week however since i'm staying around Thae Pae Gate and i dont have my own transport its too far and a bit too expensive to be getting tuk tuk's in and out, i paid 300 baht for out and back and he waited around which was probably too much but either way i would rather have something close by since im going to be playing it most days of the week.

I dont mind paying a membership if i have to. Id prefer indoor and somewhere with a few courts so im not waiting around for someone else to finish. Anyone got any recommendations? Ill probably play between 2-6pm most days.

i think you should get a bike :)

Less chance of being knocked down from behind on a badminton court, I'd have thought.

Go to the airport, or rather, turn left along the road with the speedbumps, leading to the main entrance of the main car park.

The first building on your left (at a pedestrian crossing) is the Air Traffic Control HQ. Turn left immediately after it through an unmarked gate which is always open.

Drive straight in, past a 'security' box on your left, and up to the big building ahead of you with a roundabout (traffic circle). Park as shown.

The first building you enter has 2 badminton courts which don't seem to be used too much.

To your left (as seen from the approach road) is a very pleasant restaurant overlooking a lake with choice of outdoor seating or indoor air-con. All Thai food and mainly excellent and NOT expensive.

This is the ATC club and some years ago, as a new user, you had to show some sort of affiliation (any!) to the airport. Now I think they don't bother.

Well worth a look.

Chiangmai expats group play badminton every Tuesday and friday at the Chiangmai municipal stadium from 2pm to 4pm.The charges are 20baht per pax but they uses plastic birdies.You can buy good and better ones from the proshop.Bring your own gear.

If you are a decent player, there's many other places in town that you can join in and play with others.Its more competitive. For eg. Tunghotel, municipal stadium, @CNX Badminton Court, CMU. You can also rent the above mentioned courts by the hour.Its to your convenience.

I'm a regular player here, so PM if you need more info about it.

Thanks the Municipal stadium is perfect since its not too far from me but went there around 7pm last night and it was wedged. Is there a certain time of day its usually more quiet?

Also do you book in advance or just show up and wait for a free court and is the office in the same area where the courts are or another area? If anyone knows of any other courts you can hire out that's near thae Pae gate then please let me know, would be nice to have a backup if municipal is crowded again. The one on Tunghotel road would be also a bit far from me so i would prefer something closer.

Cheers for all the help

One more thing, i just want to play today so for now until i find something closer i might try the CMX centre or the 700 anniversary stadium again. Giving i dont have my own transport what is a fair rate for a tuk tuk to either of those locations each way? The last time it cost me 150 each way but i have no idea of the price, its a fair distance so that may be a fair price but seems a bit expensive

• 1 year later...