Village Life Experiences

SimonD

My fairly extensive experience of visiting Thai girls homes would extend to the following.

Ensure a healthy supply of decent books. If you're going for a couple of months etc plan accordingly. Charity shops abound with cheap paperbacks in farangland.

Take a laptop with dongle-just about everywhere can access Edge these days.

Pretty obvious but I also whack a lot of CD's on to the hard drive for easy listening.

Decent earplugs-you may well struggle without them at night.

Invest in some decent insect repellant and use it at dusk.

If you're staying for an extended time a package from True television will go a long way to keeping sane !!

Likewise if you have a decent internet connection make use of the download sites and use a VPN to watch your own countrys TV.

Last trip I made I stayed 2 months in a village enviroment and never once was interested in going Pattaya etc.

Edited by Chivas

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fairly extensive experience of visiting Thai girls homes would extend to the following.

Ensure a healthy supply of decent books. If you're going for a couple of months etc plan accordingly. Charity shops abound with cheap paperbacks in farangland.

Pretty obvious but I also whack a lot of CD's on to the hard drive for easy listening.

If you're staying for an extended time a package from True television will go a long way to keeping sane !!

Likewise if you have a decent internet connection make use of the download sites and use a VPN to watch your own countrys TV.

Last trip I made I stayed 2 months in a village enviroment and never once was interested in going Pattaya etc.

Most of what you talk about is stuff I’m sure long-term residents like myself do automatically. The big difference being long –termers need plenty of same. I’m very well stocked with movies, TV shows, books and music. There’s something nice about stretching out in the lounge in front of wide-screen TV or music system and playing all that stuff on big screen and magnificent sound on the permanent system rather than using a laptop and headphones.

Most of what you talk about is stuff I’m sure long-term residents like myself do automatically. The big difference being long –termers need plenty of same. I’m very well stocked with movies, TV shows, books and music. There’s something nice about stretching out in the lounge in front of wide-screen TV or music system and playing all that stuff on big screen and magnificent sound on the permanent system rather than using a laptop and headphones.

True but think about your very first time to the village and probable some of what I mentioned would be missed. As you say I could have listed a 100 plus other ideas.

Mind you thinking back to what I think was the first time in 1994 no internet existed or certainly not in Nongbualamphu !! Mobiles were also something for the future !!

Most of what you talk about is stuff I'm sure long-term residents like myself do automatically. The big difference being long –termers need plenty of same. I'm very well stocked with movies, TV shows, books and music. There's something nice about stretching out in the lounge in front of wide-screen TV or music system and playing all that stuff on big screen and magnificent sound on the permanent system rather than using a laptop and headphones.

True but think about your very first time to the village and probable some of what I mentioned would be missed. As you say I could have listed a 100 plus other ideas.

Mind you thinking back to what I think was the first time in 1994 no internet existed or certainly not in Nongbualamphu !! Mobiles were also something for the future !!

Hi Chivas!

I note your first visit to LOS was 1994, and your comment about visiting Thai girl's homes would appear to be something of a hobby! Well, why not indeed? But I must admit to curiosity about the reasoning behind it - sorry if that's a bit personal - I'm trying to imagine a carefree, grab-it-before-you're-too-old approach, seeking but not yet finding expedition, or just go- for- for- it- while- you-can mode of thinking? Or maybe young and carefree.? On the other hand maybe you have a long-term partner and make regular visits?

Most of what you talk about is stuff I'm sure long-term residents like myself do automatically. The big difference being long –termers need plenty of same. I'm very well stocked with movies, TV shows, books and music. There's something nice about stretching out in the lounge in front of wide-screen TV or music system and playing all that stuff on big screen and magnificent sound on the permanent system rather than using a laptop and headphones.

Hi Chivas!

I note your first visit to LOS was 1994, and your comment about visiting Thai girl's homes would appear to be something of a hobby! Well, why not indeed? But I must admit to curiosity about the reasoning behind it - sorry if that's a bit personal - I'm trying to imagine a carefree, grab-it-before-you're-too-old approach, seeking but not yet finding expedition, or just go- for- for- it- while- you-can mode of thinking? Or maybe young and carefree.? On the other hand maybe you have a long-term partner and make regular visits?

First visit was 1992.

I wouldn't say it was a hobby as such, but suppose I have been to 8 or 9 girls homes over time.

Certainly have been to some shacks over time !! All were different in their own ways. Probably the one I mentioned re Nongbualamphu was the craziest because it was over 30 kms on dirt tracks after leaving the main drag !! It was so late when we arrived that the moto-cy sidecart style contraption of transport had to stay overnight, as to much danger of dropping into paddy fields on the way back !!

Edited by Chivas

Mind you thinking back to what I think was the first time in 1994 no internet existed or certainly not in Nong bua lamphu !! Mobiles were also something for the future !!

You are correct about mobile in Nong Bua Lamphu though at the back end of 1994 I was working with Motorola and DTAC putting in the mobile system for Issan.

In the early stages I was the only guy installing the system from Pak Chong Thai up to Nong Khai across to Loei and Chaiyaphum,and the whole of the east side of Issan.

Me and my driver used to clock something like 2,500 a week and on a good week I could get 7 or 8 sites on the air.

I did that for 4 years and in 1995/96 a Thai guy joined me at Motorola and we doubled our output.

I enjoyed working in Issan but now I live in the central region 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

I know for utter certainty that Thailand was a far better place prior to the general existance of the internet !!

Now you have every thug and his dog in country complete with tattos, shaved polls and fat bellies.....totally destroyed the country as it was.

Edited by Chivas

I live in a small village of about 800 people and I am the only Ferang. About 300 of these are my wife's relatives in one form or another and live close by. I have an electric gate at the front with a small gate and also a side gate. These were locked from day one. Nobody but nobody comes in without ringing the bell at the front. I did not like too many visitors in the UK so that is just me, I had to deal with people in my working life and to have my own space in my off duty hours was important to me and I have continued the tradition here in Thailand. When I go out I speak to everybody and help wherever I can but only in small ways. We buy ice cream for the school on Childrens day and sponser the village Netball team every two or three years. My wife said they thought I was a bit strange to start with but now they just accept that is the way I am. I think the best advice I can give is to decide what you like and will or wont accept and start off from day one. To change after a few months would cause resentment, like allowing people to come into you house whenever and then when you decide it is too much and stop it. Best not to start it in the beginning. For me village life is good and once or twice a year we go to Pattaya or Bangkok for some "civilisation" and eat in fine restaurants. We also return to the UK for a couple of months each year so we are not fully confined to the village which is probably why I enjoy village life. We do not hear too much noise in our house but yes, on occasions, it does happen, especially so at New Year and Songkran but that is a small price to pay for village life with clean air. Many local dogs always greet me with I am out in the village, I think I must be the only one that strokes them, much different from city Soi dogs who would have your hand off! I think this sums up village life, much slower and friendlier, reminds me a bit like parts of Cornwall where I come from!

]

I know for utter certainty that Thailand was a far better place prior to the general existance of the internet !!

Link please.

What ??

It's called irony. Considered funny, mostly in the UK

I got it..... :D

Well there sure are a number of different preferences about choices of homes and lifestyles in the villages. A few years back I visited a guy’s new house on the edge of a village – just someone who happened to be going out with my then GF’s best friend. He had cemented jagged broken glass on top of the high perimeter walls, had several vicious-looking dogs keeping guard inside the large hefty gate, and boy, how they snarled, barked and foamed at the mouth to anyone in the vicinity. After a long wait following ringing the bell, the chap fired interrogative questions about who was calling from somewhere unseen before calling the dogs off and unlocking the gate.

Inside, the grounds were barren and dusty. The huge house was immaculately furnished but had a distinct unwelcoming air. The owner obviously didn’t enjoy visitors, but after a while grudgingly asked if we would like a coffee or something. It was a brief visit; even his GF seemed embarrassed by his attitude.

Oh well, each to their own. I prefer sitting at the front of our little house watching the world go by and waving, smiling and chatting at passersby.

SimonD,

I understand the other posts about village life but consider this as well:

Village life can be Ok, it's up to what you like but I would not want to go living in my GF villlage because:

- privacy

- your life in that village after a divorce which hopefully won't happen, but is does with other people.

I would opt for another village, not to close and not to far from your GF's.You then still can make trips to visit your inlaws and vv.

Edited by harry

SimonD,

Village life can be Ok, it's up to what you like but I would not want to go living in my GF villlage because:

- privacy

- your life in that village after a divorce which hopefully won't happen, but is does with other people.

I would opt for another village, not to close and not to far from your GF's.You then still can make trips to visit your inlaws and vv.

Good advice Harry i am about 50 klms away from the family and it works well.

On the subject of mobile phones and the internet .....the Thais don't need them that is what them village speakers are for and if i farted in thebath(not that i have one)iam sure miss surinta 3 villages down the road would know in about 10 minutes :D

SimonD,

- privacy

But who would own the ground at the house in the other village in the event of divorce. And would you want to hang around if it was all over?

****************************************************************************************************************************************(My comment ends here. Mr Red's comments follow - sorry to muck about with it. My error)

Good advice Harry i am about 50 klms away from the family and it works well.

On the subject of mobile phones and the internet .....the Thais don't need them that is what them village speakers are for and if i farted in thebath(not that i have one)iam sure miss surinta 3 villages down the road would know in about 10 minutes :D

Edited by Jezz

SimonD,

- privacy

Thanks harry. At the moment I'm keeping all my options open. As I mentioned in an earler post my first stop in Surin will be renting a one or two bedroom apartment or house in or very near to Prasat, the nearest town. My GF's village is about 25km from there over good roads. Close enough to go there every day to familiarise myself with it. Regarding a future split in our relationship (we're not even married yet) I would just walk away and start over. The land is her's anyway and as a farang I can never own it, so all I would lose would be the house itself. Anyway, that's for the future to decide. I don't see the point in living in another village but her family aren't a problem for me anyway, I like them.

Privacy was an issue in Pattaya, less so in Chiang Mai and zero in Trat. In Pattaya it got so bad I was considering installing a revolving door! I had to regularly ask her friends to leave or deny them entry and they eventually got the message. They also used to help themselves to the contents of the fridge. One day some girl had eaten all our bloody cheese! My missus was even angrier than I was as she used to love a bit of cheddar for breakfast. She sounded like Wallace from 'A Grand Day Out' when she asked "Poppy, I eating cheeeese now, ok?" When I posted earlier about putting locks on the farang fridge, I wasn't joking. When I design the house in the village, it will have a front garden for people-watching and entertaining and a side and rear garden, part of which will be my 'private' space, adjacent to a kitchen/breakfast room with French windows. I've just got to figure out where the sun comes up and orientate the layout accordingly.

Jezz, that guy you described can't enjoy living like that. Like you, my priorities would be to make friends and integrate. I used to love sitting outside my house in Pattaya. It was on an estate of about four hundred buildings (30% farang, 40% Thai and 30% vacant), mostly two bedroom semi-detached bungalows but with a sprinkling of larger places. Each had its own small garden but mine was on a corner plot and had a side garden as well. I would get up just before six, feed my three moggies (GF could have won gold for Thailand if "sleeping" had been an olympic event) and sit out front with some seriously strong Khmer coffee and wait for the Bangkok Post to be delivered. My favourite time was just before dawn and I'd watch the place come to life. My Thai neighbours over the road always waved, their little boy would come over and play with my cats while his papa got ready to take him to school.

I'm under no illusions about what village life may really turn out to be like but, as I have said, I get on really well with her family and have a great deal of respect for her father. I certainly wouldn't want them round at all times of the day and night but they have always shown me deference and I think just a quiet word in my missus' ear would be enough. We'll see.

As usual, got long-winded again, time to shut up. Thanks for the feedback chaps, much appreciated.

Simon

Thanks harry. At the moment I'm keeping all my options open. As I mentioned in an earler post my first stop in Surin will be renting a one or two bedroom apartment or house in or very near to Prasat, the nearest town. My GF's village is about 25km from there over good roads. Close enough to go there every day to familiarise myself with it. Regarding a future split in our relationship (we're not even married yet) I would just walk away and start over. The land is her's anyway and as a farang I can never own it, so all I would lose would be the house itself. Anyway, that's for the future to decide. I don't see the point in living in another village but her family aren't a problem for me anyway, I like them.

Simon

Ah good old Prasart.

At least you will have access to decent farang food right on your door step, plus a decent little watering hold right next to it, right across the road there are other delights on offer should you desire.

A small farang community there all year round, plus the others who breeze in from time to time.

You should be able to get yourself a decent farang style house in one of the moo baans, typical Thai style layout, small front yard sitting on about 56-60+ t/w.

I wouldnt pay any more than 5000 baht per month, maybe 6000 in exceptional circumstances, if you want Thai style you will get cheaper.

Learning the language is key to making a go of it, the people up there arent as green as they are cabbage looking, they have seen and heard it all before, there is more than one farang has been seen off.

You will watched and opinions formed of the company you keep, the way you dress, act and talk, dont make the mistake of thinking they dont speak English, there are a few retired working girls up that way, plus a few not yet retired.

Probably one of the better choices to break yourself gently into the way of life up there.

Simon

Ah good old Prasart.

At least you will have access to decent farang food right on your door step, plus a decent little watering hold right next to it, right across the road there are other delights on offer should you desire.

A small farang community there all year round, plus the others who breeze in from time to time.

You should be able to get yourself a decent farang style house in one of the moo baans, typical Thai style layout, small front yard sitting on about 56-60+ t/w.

I wouldnt pay any more than 5000 baht per month, maybe 6000 in exceptional circumstances, if you want Thai style you will get cheaper.

Learning the language is key to making a go of it, the people up there arent as green as they are cabbage looking, they have seen and heard it all before, there is more than one farang has been seen off.

You will watched and opinions formed of the company you keep, the way you dress, act and talk, dont make the mistake of thinking they dont speak English, there are a few retired working girls up that way, plus a few not yet retired.

Probably one of the better choices to break yourself gently into the way of life up there.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, yes, the following comments are just for fun, not to be taken seriously. I know Simon will see the lighter side with his typical British sense of humour.

Advice from rgs2001uk #1 'Learning the language is key to making a go of it, the people up there aren't as green as they are cabbage looking, they have seen and heard it all before, there is more than one farang has been seen off.'

Action required: Ponce around the village with your face buried in a phrase book. That'll impress 'em!

#2 'You will watched and opinions formed of the company you keep, the way you dress, act and talk, don't make the mistake of thinking they don't speak English, there are a few retired working girls up that way, plus a few not yet retired.'

Action required: Only be seen with high profile celebrities, men of the cloth, members of parliament etc. Always wear a suit, tie and shiny black shoes. Talk loudly in a posh British accent and keep your eyes peeled for the English speakers – especially the not yet retired working girls.

Edited by Jezz

rgs2001uk,

That's useful info, thanks!:)

5-6k/month you say? That's good to know. I was paying 8k in Pattaya (more in CM but less in Trat). I've been mugging up on Prasat and see that there are some farang places there. So long as I can walk to the 7-11 and share a beer or two with some friendly company in the evening sounds about right. After being caught out once by my missus for sampling 'other delights' (I'm lucky to still have them!) I'll give that a miss.

I don't hanker after western food much, just once in while. Find it too heavy. Got so used to eating Thai grub (lost 26 kilos in the first year just through diet and exercise) that I still get through 1.5 kilos of rice a week here in London. I have an Asian supermarket very close with fresh produce three times a week from Thailand, Vietnam etc.. Very handy.

As regards learning the language, I agree with you that is very important. I have picked up just enough Thai now to get myself into trouble but not out of it. After a couple of sentences my vocabulary runs dry but it's enough for a Thai to think I know more than I do and soon get left behind...:blink: I am determined to learn to speak, read and write Thai. It's only polite to make an effort in one's adopted country. One new word or phrase a day is my approach. Missus can help with the reading and writing bit.

Just so long as the resident farangs don't all claim to have been involved in the Iranian embassy siege (I've never met so many ex-SAS as in Thailand!:lol: ) I think I'll blend in ok. Never had a problem with Thais and never assumed they don't understand English either. Seen more than a few falangs in Pattaya and elsewhere come unstuck on that one. I'm a big believer in treating others as you would expect to be treated yourself. The only people I really can't tolerate are bigots. Pattaya had more than it's fair share. I couldn't understand why they lived there when they so obviously detested the natives and mocked the culture. Oh, yes I do. It was because many of them are wanted by the police in their home countries and they are living in self-enforced exile, full of bitterness. That's the main reason I wanted to leave Pattaya.

My missus got very used to some farang delicacies like lamb` chops, red wine, marmite and cheese. I know there is a Big C in Surin and a Makro as well. Are there any delies or similar nearer to Prasat? I've just joined the Surin Farang site but haven't posted there yet. Maybe that's the place to ask these Prasat-specific questions.

Simon

Edit: Jezz, you posted that while I was writing this reply! My father met Lloyd-George once. Does that qualify?:lol:

Edited by SimonD

rgs2001uk,

5-6k/month you say? That's good to know. I was paying 8k in Pattaya (more in CM but less in Trat). I've been mugging up on Prasat and see that there are some farang places there. So long as I can walk to the 7-11 and share a beer or two with some friendly company in the evening sounds about right. After being caught out once by my missus for sampling 'other delights' (I'm lucky to still have them!) I'll give that a miss.

I don't hanker after western food much, just once in while. Find it too heavy. Got so used to eating Thai grub (lost 26 kilos in the first year just through diet and exercise) that I still get through 1.5 kilos of rice a week here in London. I have an Asian supermarket very close with fresh produce three times a week from Thailand, Vietnam etc.. Very handy.

As regards learning the language, I agree with you that is very important. I have picked up just enough Thai now to get myself into trouble but not out of it. After a couple of sentences my vocabulary runs dry but it's enough for a Thai to think I know more than I do and soon get left behind...:blink: I am determined to learn to speak, read and write Thai. It's only polite to make an effort in one's adopted country. One new word or phrase a day is my approach. Missus can help with the reading and writing bit.

Just so long as the resident farangs don't all claim to have been involved in the Iranian embassy siege (I've never met so many ex-SAS as in Thailand!:lol: ) I think I'll blend in ok. Never had a problem with Thais and never assumed they don't understand English either. Seen more than a few falangs in Pattaya and elsewhere come unstuck on that one. I'm a big believer in treating others as you would expect to be treated yourself. The only people I really can't tolerate are bigots. Pattaya had more than it's fair share. I couldn't understand why they lived there when they so obviously detested the natives and mocked the culture. Oh, yes I do. It was because many of them are wanted by the police in their home countries and they are living in self-enforced exile, full of bitterness. That's the main reason I wanted to leave Pattaya.

My missus got very used to some farang delicacies like lamb` chops, red wine, marmite and cheese. I know there is a Big C in Surin and a Makro as well. Are there any delies or similar nearer to Prasat? I've just joined the Surin Farang site but haven't posted there yet. Maybe that's the place to ask these Prasat-specific questions.

Simon

Edit: Jezz, you posted that while I was writing this reply! My father met Lloyd-George once. Does that qualify?:lol:

Say no more! Your future happiness is assured. I used to bank at Lloyds years ago. Didn't thay used to have a white horse in their logo - or was that another Brit bank?

Say no more! Your future happiness is assured. I used to bank at Lloyds years ago. Didn't thay used to have a white horse in their logo - or was that another Brit bank?

Close. it's a black horse. They're my bank here in UK but won't be when I emigrate. Right bunch of bankers...:rolleyes:

Simon

Close. it's a black horse. They're my bank here in UK but won't be when I emigrate. Right bunch of bankers...:rolleyes:

Simon

Ah yes! Black Beauty. Rather like the colour of the eye i felt like giving to my branch manager when he declined to advance a few million to see me off to LOS.

Note: For the benefit of the multitudes who don't share this lowbrow humour - sorry.

rgs2001uk,

Simon

Google, Staffords Prasat Thailand, for all your farang needs.

Too be honest, if you want to speak Thai its easier if you learn to read, I dont bother with the writing that much, took me about 3 months to learn the alphabet.

As for the mrs helping, well thats another can of worms, best go to a proper school, you can ask 3 Thais the same question and get 3 differing answers, one of the drawbacks of a rote learning system.

Oh there are some characters up there, friendly for the most part, funny you should mention it, but a couple of ex forces types as well.

The biggest problem you will encounter will be "face', I dont want to know your circumstances, but wait til the locals start on your mrs, if he really loves you he will buy you x,y or z, its a effin pissing contest with some of them, my husband gives me 75k per month (all b/s btw) why doesnt your husband give you the same.

The Honda click dont cut it, need to keep up with the Somchais, Fortunas please, why you no buy, you no love me same same my friend.

A few months ago I almost bought a farang mansion up that way, but thats another story.

Prasart isnt what I would call a village, its large enough to have your own space, but small enough to find your way round.

rgs2001uk,

Simon

Google, Staffords Prasat Thailand, for all your farang needs.

Too be honest, if you want to speak Thai its easier if you learn to read, I dont bother with the writing that much, took me about 3 months to learn the alphabet.

As for the mrs helping, well thats another can of worms, best go to a proper school, you can ask 3 Thais the same question and get 3 differing answers, one of the drawbacks of a rote learning system.

Oh there are some characters up there, friendly for the most part, funny you should mention it, but a couple of ex forces types as well.

The biggest problem you will encounter will be "face', I dont want to know your circumstances, but wait til the locals start on your mrs, if he really loves you he will buy you x,y or z, its a effin pissing contest with some of them, my husband gives me 75k per month (all b/s btw) why doesnt your husband give you the same.

The Honda click dont cut it, need to keep up with the Somchais, Fortunas please, why you no buy, you no love me same same my friend.

A few months ago I almost bought a farang mansion up that way, but thats another story.

Prasart isnt what I would call a village, its large enough to have your own space, but small enough to find your way round.

The way I tackle having very little grasp of the Thai language is to try and add a word or two a day. Problem is at my age I tend to forget what I learned yesterday. Another nice little trick - if you happen to have youngsters around you - is to 'test' them on their English. That way you get a bit of respect for showing interest, at the same time picking up or re-learning a few words or phrases you cocked up on. As for 'Face', and 'if he really loves you.... he will.... 'etc. After three years in the village I've yet to encounter this aspect. I said a number of posts ago, if you make it clear from the outset that not all falangs are walking ATM's the locals grasp and accept it. Maybe this is more easily achieved when they see you only live modestly. Who can blame them for reckoning if you flash it, why not share it? Which may account for why over a period of time many farangs have remarked on the curiosity of why if you happen to bump into another farang while with respective wives in the local supermarket, more often than not one is lucky to get a smile or a nod, let alone a conversation. It seems the belief is too much will be revealed to respective partners about how much this and how much that. Result? Keep walking.

Edited by Jezz

]

Link please.

What ??

It's called irony. Considered funny, mostly in the UK

Yes I did get it !! As Thadeus indicated often the only way to shut someone up is with an obtuse reply.

Yes I did get it !! As Thadeus indicated often the only way to shut someone up is with an obtuse reply.

What's wrong with free speech ? Still never produced that link did you Chi ?

If you're going to make a statement make sure you back it up with facts. Thank you.

Edited by sinbin