Village Life Experiences

SimonD

Yes I did get it !! As Thadeus indicated often the only way to shut someone up is with an obtuse reply.

What's wrong with free speech ? Still never produced that link did you Chi ?

If you're going to make a statement make sure you back it up with facts. Thank you.

Yes you were right Thad....

Would you like a 50 page report Pal ??

Dont be such an arsehol_e. Thailand was TOTALLY different before the tribes arrived, linked without question to the emergence of the net. If you cant see and view that, than no one can help you...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say no more! Your future happiness is assured. I used to bank at Lloyds years ago. Didn't thay used to have a white horse in their logo - or was that another Brit bank?

I think you are confusing your banks with your whiskies ! :rolleyes:

You are half right Lloyds had a prancing Black Horse the scotch was White Horse

Yes I did get it !! As Thadeus indicated often the only way to shut someone up is with an obtuse reply.

If you're going to make a statement make sure you back it up with facts. Thank you.

Dont be such an arsehol_e. Thailand was TOTALLY different before the tribes arrived, linked without question to the emergence of the net. If you cant see and view that, than no one can help you...

It's very obvious that a lot of members here hide behind their avatars and chosen logon names to hurl insult, disrupt otherwise decent conversations and for the main part display contempt, disregard and plain don't-give-a-dam_n attitude. No wonder many long-term members seldom bother to post anything.

Edited by Jezz

It's very obvious that a lot of members here hide behind their avatars and chosen logon names to hurl insult, disrupt otherwise decent conversations and for the main part display contempt, disregard and plain don't-give-a-dam_n attitude. No wonder many long-term members seldom bother to post anything.

Surely Jezz, only an arsehol_e would do a thing like that ?

Sorry Chivas but your response is not so Regal

Your original post was eronious on a couple of points. What you claimed was an opinion and not a fact. Also when when you state "thailand was a far better place"

Who do you mean? Better for who? Falangs or Thais.

In future, when you make sweeping statements, state that it is your opinion but recognise the fact that others may hold a different view and are just as entitled as you are to their opinions

I'm trying to be constructive

To put it another way, if a group of guys enjoyed banter and good conversation in a particular bar, but were often interrupted by blokes hell-bent to break up the rapport , the group would pretty quickly find a new rendezvous. The upside of forums like this is, you can carry on without the need to move on.

To put it another way, if a group of guys enjoyed banter and good conversation in a particular bar, but were often interrupted by blokes hell-bent to break up the rapport , the group would pretty quickly find a new rendezvous. The upside of forums like this is, you can carry on without the need to move on.

In the bars I have frequented the 'group' would <deleted> the offender and HE would move on :)

Uh Oh, this is going the way of so many other threads on the general forum.:rolleyes:

As the OP, I would kindly request that we keep this discussion on topic :) . It is entitled 'Village Life Experiences' and that is all it is about. I did NOT intend it to be a thread to sling mud or make unvalidated comments. That is why it was posted here, on the Isaan forum, in particular. Anybody who has an axe to grind could do it via PM, not in public.

It was going so well and I have learned a great deal from the many positive contributions made here and would like to keep it that way. The whole reason I joined the Thai Visa forum was that it appeared to demonstre a level of maturity that was sorely lacking elsewhere.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies,

Simon

Hi Simon,

I followed and commented on your recent post about loudspeaker towers in villages. Your subsequent comments made more sense and explained your reasoning for considering village life.

These are my own thoughts on the subject:

Q) Why am I living in an Isaan village?

A) I first came to Thailand in 2005, then aged 61, divorced, redundant with little money, no property or assets in the UK. In other words, just about down and out. My only lifeline hung on a single remaining endowment policy which had been hammered into the ground and would only return about one-and-a-half million baht on maturity in 2009. I managed to get a job in Pattaya with a holiday company – legally with a work permit – lived in a small rented apartment in Jomtien, earned a bit of money, played the field with bar girls, moved to the company's Phuket office during 2006, played the field with Phuket bar girls then went off to work in Bali for a few months.

In 2007 I moved to Koh Samui, worked for the original company and one night met a girl from Isaan who had just that day arrived on the island intending to work in a bar for the first time. I went to that bar every night for a week or so and kept her boss happy by spending a bit of money over the bar whilst enjoying the company of his latest recruit, so she never left the premises with any other falang. She never drank alcohol or smoked. (Still doesn't to this day, apart from maybe two bottles of Spy a year!) A while later she left the bar and moved into my rented house. At the end of 2008 we went to Phuket where I worked until the end of that year, when the job was no longer available. I hadn't saved any money because the income just covered rent and living expenses

Our relationship continued to be excellent; no expectancy or demands for money because she knew I hadn't got any! After a lot of thought and discussion I decided the best route would be to move to her village, wait for my one-and-a-half million baht insurance maturity, then spend some of it converting her parent's house on stilts to incorporate a new modern house underneath. The remaining cash would need to stay in the Thai bank in order to qualify for 'Extension Based on Marriage'. We lived up in the old house with her mama, papa and her two young sons for a year until the new house below had been completed. By that time I qualified to receive the British state pension, enhanced with extra sums from SERPS and Graduated Benefits (a left over benefit system entitled to from previous years)

We married legally in Bangkok in 2009 so my pension is topped up with Wife Benefit (which can no longer be applied for and ends in 2020!) The grand total monthly income is a very modest amount that many farangs would gasp at and cry, 'How on Earth do you manage to survive?" Which leads to the next question.

Q) How do I survive in the village?

A) I've always preferred country life. I'm fortunate to have a Thai family who are totally unobtrusive – even the year spent living together in the old upstairs house wasn't a problem – believe it or not. Now, Mama and Papa live upstairs, myself, the wife and two boys live in the modern air-conditioned house below. The parents or any other visiting family members never encroach on our space, in fact even when invited to join us they prefer to visit ma and pa via the outside back steps leading upstairs, or once in a while sit in the shade under our front porch. It's all very civilized and workable. The total cost to convert the house was no more than I would have spent on rent in places like Pattaya or the islands in just three years. Yes, If I could afford to live down south I would quite enjoy somewhere like Samui with nice beaches, but can live without the sea.

Our lifestyle is simple. Now approaching my 68th birthday I'm quite content with a routine of early morning walks along the quiet soi, (we're on the edge of the village) or down by the river that runs at the back of the house and through nearby temples with beautiful grounds. A potter in the garden, a few hours online, or watching my favorite movies and British TV shows, or writing fiction and screenplays (I did have a novel published last year as an eBook and completed a screenplay, neither likely to make money or get noticed, so please don't ask!) Sometimes a motorbike ride to the small town a couple of kilometers away, visiting the market and 7-eleven, a monthly trip by public transport to the city for supermarket shopping. And of course a few beers or something later in the day at home. Because the villagers know I'm not a rich falang, the men never scrounge beer or whiskey from me, although occasionally I ask neighbors to share a beer with me. I'm the only falang in the village; I do miss good English conversation sometimes, but wouldn't want the life spent around guzzling in bars in town too often even if it was affordable.

My wife helps out on the family farm and runs the domestic things at home. Hopefully we'll have a little money saved to take the kids for a holiday to the coast next year. It'll be a bus trip to keep the cost down.

Jezz, good on you.. great post. Nice to read posts from folks who have achieved happiness and contentment without the need for huge amounts of money or rather the dependancy on large amounts of money

This is good to read and somewhat falls into the chicken soup for the soul category.

Thanks for sharing, really pleased for you and that you have made it work.

Monty

We could start a "Village Life Thread Preservation Society "

Thank you Mr Davis .

So, you profess to know who I am? Well, you got the first letter right but then so could a two-year old as it's in my username.

Your reply is typical of the negative ones most posters here are referring to.

Check your PM's.

Simon

Thank you Mr Davis .

So, you profess to know who I am? Well, you got the first letter right but then so could a two-year old as it's in my username.

Check your PM's.

Simon

Simon , no offence or negativity intended , a mere pun without profession to your good self . I was thanking a certain Mr Ray Davis for his insight and honesty and great songs . The Village Green Preservation Society was the name of The Kinks album portraying a changing England . A thread in the making - What is changing in the village you live in ? Is it for the better or worse ? Opinions anecdotes and so on .

Thank you Mr Davis .

Check your PM's.

Simon

Simon , no offence or negativity intended , a mere pun without profession to your good self . I was thanking a certain Mr Ray Davis for his insight and honesty and great songs . The Village Green Preservation Society was the name of The Kinks album portraying a changing England . A thread in the making - What is changing in the village you live in ? Is it for the better or worse ? Opinions anecdotes and so on .

My apologies.:jap:

Simon.

The Mosquito Patrol.

Another ‘Real Village Life Experience’ I find intriguing is ‘The Mosquito Patrol’.

Periodically, a platoon of mosquito combatants patrols the village. This is made up of somebody carrying a bundle of pink forms, somebody else holding a pencil, another clutching a clipboard, and yet another team member holding a large electric torch. They move stealthily among the clusters of houses, flashing the torch in nooks and crannies under stilt houses - many of which are home to buffalo, cows, ducks, cockerels, chickens, cats, dogs - inspecting the area for signs of anything that might encourage mosquitoes. After the inspection a pink form is pasted somewhere on the front of the house, a column duly filled in and dated as proof of inspection and compliance. The trouble is the first soaking with rain, gust of wind or fading due to sunlight and they hang in shreds awaiting the next patrol, which dutifully peers at the paper shreds as though the information is still decipherable and make notes accordingly.

Working bravely alone, the spray man follows with a motorized gadget that produces alarming clouds of choking fumes, vapor and smoke that beats inhaling emissions from twenty trucks and twenty buses, and without so much as a facemask the sprayer walks up and down, between houses spreading his deadly cloud. Not surprisingly, the next day there comes stories of at least one villager who had to be rushed to hospital with breathing problems.

As soon as I hear his lethal weapon start up in our location on the edge of the village I slam the doors and windows shut and tie a handkerchief round my mouth, waiting for the ‘all clear’ to sound!

Another aspect of village life is the use of bicycles for tranportation of persons . A lot of these bicycles are , at best , knackered . My father in law has an old sit up and beg bone rattler caliper brakes and all . He glides along effortlessly , a dignified otogeranium sporting a pork pie hat . When I get on it I am swerving uncontroled all over the soi and end up horizontal . Then there's bikes with one pedal and then there's bikes with no saddle and then there's bikes that have been adapted to resemble mini marts . They would make a great bunch for a sunday run .

Another aspect of village life is the use of bicycles for tranportation of persons . A lot of these bicycles are , at best , knackered . My father in law has an old sit up and beg bone rattler caliper brakes and all . He glides along effortlessly , a dignified otogeranium sporting a pork pie hat . When I get on it I am swerving uncontroled all over the soi and end up horizontal . Then there's bikes with one pedal and then there's bikes with no saddle and then there's bikes that have been adapted to resemble mini marts . They would make a great bunch for a sunday run .

Indeed, the wonderful two-wheelers with pedals or engines. Now riding either kind along the soi outside our house is something of a challenge. For two years the concrete strip right outside our house became a potential deathtrap when subsidence left a mini crater with jagged concrete and rock teeth across the width. Last year it got repaired but is already breaking up again. Now a new and more vicious cave-in just a few meters away has already resulted in accidents and minor injury – including both our young boys ( despite my begging and preaching about taking care) The 12 year old hit it with such force his bike's front forks collapsed and he hurtled over the handlebars onto the rough concrete. By some miracle he got up nursing a few scratches. A few days later the 5 year old came a right cropper on his small bike when failing to slow down or avoid the deep hole. He got a badly bruised nose, arm and leg. At night when it's dark I cringe with fear on hearing thumps and rattles as fast-moving scooters and motorbikes roar over the deathtrap. Nine times out of ten the riders tackle it with only one hand on the handlebars and at crazy speeds. It seems the headman can only arrange repairs when the authorities authorize it. If I could mend roads I'd do it myself.

Uh Oh, this is going the way of so many other threads on the general forum.:rolleyes:

As the OP, I would kindly request that we keep this discussion on topic :) . It is entitled 'Village Life Experiences' and that is all it is about. I did NOT intend it to be a thread to sling mud or make unvalidated comments. That is why it was posted here, on the Isaan forum, in particular. Anybody who has an axe to grind could do it via PM, not in public.

It was going so well and I have learned a great deal from the many positive contributions made here and would like to keep it that way. The whole reason I joined the Thai Visa forum was that it appeared to demonstre a level of maturity that was sorely lacking elsewhere.

Simon

"A level of maturity that was sorely lacking elsewhere"? Stone me Simon, those other websites must be pretty abysmal if this place is mature! Sometimes the general section is about as mature as the Daily Mail or similar tabloid rags.

You made a good thread mate, very interesting, and the Isaan section is most often a good one, with friendly and helpful people; but don't mention Korat Immigrationwhistling.gif

Elwood

It was going so well and I have learned a great deal from the many positive contributions made here and would like to keep it that way. The whole reason I joined the Thai Visa forum was that it appeared to demonstrate a level of maturity that was sorely lacking elsewhere.

Simon

I also live in a village though in central Thailand and I have seen threads like this over the years go down the way some people have done in this one which is why sadly I don't post as much as I used to on sensible topics because somebody will try to screw it up along the thread somewhere.

Edited by billd766

"A level of maturity that was sorely lacking elsewhere"? Stone me Simon, those other websites must be pretty abysmal if this place is mature! Sometimes the general section is about as mature as the Daily Mail or similar tabloid rags.

You made a good thread mate, very interesting, and the Isaan section is most often a good one, with friendly and helpful people; but don't mention Korat Immigrationwhistling.gif

Elwood

Yes, some of the other sites were pretty awful. One had no moderation at all and was populated exclusively by trolls and braggarts. Every thread ended in a slanging match and foul and abusive language was common. Tedious. This place is a haven of peace and tranquility in comparison. You guys don't know how well-off you are!;)

I won't mention a certain immigration centre, although tempted to ask why.:ermm:

@ Jezz and Onionluke, it seems a gas mask, NBC suit and a comprehensive bicycle repair kit are in order. That gives me an idea for a small business - Bicycle Repair Falang! (aka Monty Python sketch).

One quick question. My GF's village has power lines but I don't remember if it also has running water. Her family have several of those large stone storage jars and the w/c is hand flushed in typical Asian style. Is piped water the norm in most villages? I know that Surin can go for extended periods without rainfall and it seems unlikely to me that it would be possible to store enough water for that length of time? I imagine the paddy fields are irrigated by the minor river that flows along the south-west corner of the village but for fresh(!) running water, how do people cope?

Simon

Edited by SimonD

Elwood

Yes, some of the other sites were pretty awful. One had no moderation at all and was populated exclusively by trolls and braggarts. Every thread ended in a slanging match and foul and abusive language was common. Tedious. This place is a haven of peace and tranquility in comparison. You guys don't know how well-off you are!;)

I won't mention a certain immigration centre, although tempted to ask why.:ermm:

@ Jezz and Onionluke, it seems a gas mask, NBC suit and a comprehensive bicycle repair kit are in order. That gives me an idea for a small business - Bicycle Repair Falang! (aka Monty Python sketch).

One quick question. My GF's village has power lines but I don't remember if it also has running water. Her family have several of those large stone storage jars and the w/c is hand flushed in typical Asian style. Is piped water the norm in most villages? I know that Surin can go for extended periods without rainfall and it seems unlikely to me that it would be possible to store enough water for that length of time? I imagine the paddy fields are irrigated by the minor river that flows along the south-west corner of the village but for fresh(!) running water, how do people cope?

Simon

Simon, I hope this isn't a final quick question from yourself. The majority of us agree the forum isn't that bad and we can easily cope with the troll-types who would have it some other way.

On the question of water, I'm sure it varies from village to village. In ours we have very good quality water from two sources. One comes from deep wells reaching into the rocks (or whatever is the correct name for the water table) via an electric pump and is claimed to be the same quality as the drinking water available in those large white drums on sale for only a few baht. I've been drinking it for three years and still live to tell the tale. The other source is from a metered piped supply, also good and clean. This is the source we use to supply our sinks, showers and toilets. Every house has the huge stone pots to either catch rainwater runoff from roofs or fill by hose from the public supply. We are surrounded by reservoirs which this year are filled to over brimming, and the whole region is usually blessed with good annual rainfall. We also have a river running at the back of the house with many fish farms. All in all, it's a green and pleasant valley except for the normal few hot summer months.

PS: The well and electric motor is an option which the family paid for years ago - a private supply.

Edited by Jezz

Not at all, Jezz. I've got plenty more questions and feel very welcome here, but I'll stagger them over time. You ain't seen the last of me yet, I've only just got here!:)

I phone my GF every two or three days and she provides some of the answers but gets a bit 'ratty' if I ask too many at once. "Why you ask so many questions? Make my head hurt" is a typical response from her. She doesn't understand the western preoccupation with planning to avoid making mistakes. She waits until the problem smacks her in the face before figuring what to do about it. Makes me chuckle.

Good to hear about the water supply in your village. I'd forgotten about the ground-water wells (aquifers), I'll give the GF a ring later and see if she can answer that one. Must remember to send her some aspirin!

Thanks Jezz,

Simon

Edited by SimonD

Good-luck living in a Thai village.

Couldn't do it myself; a living death. Nothing to do and frankly the locals have only two subjects of conversation (I speak passable Thai) which is food, or, gossiping about other villagers.

If you're planning on passing the time by reading, movies and the internet, you can do that in a town, or, city. Why bother with a village?

The piped water in my village comes from a small man made lake. Not drinkable. Most of the cooking water comes from the large jars. But with all the plastic that gets burned around here, I don't completely trust that water. even though I do wait for a few rains to "clean" the roof before filling. I buy bottled water for most of my water drinking.

Couldn't do it myself; a living death. Nothing to do and frankly the locals have only two subjects of conversation (I speak passable Thai) which is food, or, gossiping about other villagers.

If you're planning on passing the time by reading, movies and the internet, you can do that in a town, or, city. Why bother with a village?

A matter of choice. Why do so many Westerners opt for the quiet life in their own countries? To escape the rat race and enjoy the simplicity of villagers enjoying a bit of gossip, unaffected by the hurly-burly of modern city dwelling. Another reason it suits me is age and financial situation. I’m too old to gad about cities very often and couldn’t afford to live in one anyway.

I'm doing it because my GF wants to be closer to her family and we both got sick of town life, well, Pattaya in particular. She has two sons and all the time she has spent living with me they have been growing up without a mothers influence. Their father did a runner some years ago and they have largely been brought up by her papa and younger sister. She has always deferred to me before on where we lived and it's only right that I consider her needs and wishes. If it doesn't work then I'll consider what to do next. Different strokes for different folks.

Simon