Do You Eat Northern Food?

zzap

The Northern Country Cuisine (I don't mean steak and fries in the Dutch) is different from other provinces, specially from what is perceived as "Thai food" abroad, even if some names may be identical to, for example, Isaan dishes, suchas "Laab Neua" (chopped spiced beef, raw or cooked).

Have you eaten, and enjoyed dishes such as Nam Prik Jing Leed (Chili paste with insects), Gaeng Normai (bamboo curry), Gaeng Kiat (tadpole curry) et al?

With a glassful or two of home-destilled rice-Whisky? :o

The Northern Country Cuisine (I don't mean steak and fries in the Dutch) is different from other provinces, specially from what is perceived as "Thai food" abroad, even if some names may be identical to, for example, Isaan dishes, suchas "Laab Neua" (chopped spiced beef, raw or cooked).

Have you eaten, and enjoyed dishes such as Nam Prik Jing Leed (Chili paste with insects), Gaeng Normai (bamboo curry), Gaeng Kiat (tadpole curry) et al?

With a glassful or two of home-destilled rice-Whisky? :o

Nam Prik Jing Leed is made with large crickets. Normai means bamboo shoots and we eat it about five different ways...sometimes just steamed...sometimes slightly pickled...sometimes in a geng...sometimes with glass noodles (woon sen). I've never had Gaeng Kiat (tadpole curry)...but Kiat is a small frog and they are really good fried and eaten whole (they are slightly gutted but only slightly)...crispy and delicious. We also eat kob which is a bigger frog..usually either roasted (ping) or in a gaeng...or fried paht phet style. We eat laab dib which is the raw laab..either beef or kwai. A really visually disgusting dish is loo. It looks like a bowl of blood with chunks in it....bright red and kind of thick...different people make it differently and it can be either very good or not so good depending on the style it is made....my neighbor does a really good loo and I'll invite myself to dinner if I know he's making it. We eat most insects fried...some of them we catch ourselves. There is a gaeng made from cow or kwai placaenta that is good too. Rooster testicle are good and my wife always saves them out for me. I eat only whatever the people in our village eat. Its all authentic traditional food here. When they butcher a pig there is some internal organ that you eat raw..I'm not sure what it is but it is really good..still warm from the pig.

Alot of this is farm food and one of the advantages of being a farmer is the food.

Edited by chownah

never eaten Laab Dib (raw)

but i like cabb moo(crispy pork skin deep fried) , sai auo (spicy sausage) , khao soi (noodle with curry), khanom jean num ngeaw (rice noodle with curry)

aww.. i 'd better not talk about it anymore .. today i dont eat anything yet..just few glasses of iced coffee :o

• 4 weeks later...

I've had frog curry, dog curry and rat curry - don't know what the Thai names are. I've also had the Chiang Mai sausage that's made from raw cured pork - Yum!