Net Income

bobbysan124

that is a very interesting post you make as are the replies so far , i wonder what the average is amongst forum members ? i guess it does vary as James posted ... if you are mortgage free , car loan free etc also the number of dependants and the distance to town .... i am hoping to do it all for around 50k but i will be debt free and 30 mins away from a decent supermarket with one child on board ... my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month one child , no loans ...... i guess i will find out ....

I do it on considerably less than 50K, mortgage free, car loan free (No car!) 2 kids on board and town and supermarkets 30 klms away. You say your sis-in-law does it on 15K? Interesting.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes interesting but i will probe into that further and get the breakdown (if possible) ... 15 k sounds and is way under my thinking ....

that is a very interesting post you make as are the replies so far , i wonder what the average is amongst forum members ? i guess it does vary as James posted ... if you are mortgage free , car loan free etc also the number of dependants and the distance to town .... i am hoping to do it all for around 50k but i will be debt free and 30 mins away from a decent supermarket with one child on board ... my sis in law married to a Farang does it for 15k per month one child , no loans ...... i guess i will find out ....

I do it on considerably less than 50K, mortgage free, car loan free (No car!) 2 kids on board and town and supermarkets 30 klms away. You say your sis-in-law does it on 15K? Interesting.

<BR>I know an Englishman, lives in east Pattaya now and has done for 23 years. He is now ~70 years old and, apart from the bank deposit to facilitate his retirement visa, he lives almost exclusively on his meager UK pension, plus the bit and pieces his wife of 25 years can make selling som tam and sewing/repairs for friends.<BR><BR>His house? Bedroom /living room, bathroom, hallway/storage and an outside Thai style kitchen with two ring gas cooker. Rents for 2,000 baht/month + 300-500 power and water bills. 95% Thai estate, poor people even by Thai standards but so what?<BR><BR>He runs a broken down old motorsai, goes for a beer with his mates two or three times a week and yet he is content. I wouldnt describe him as the happiest person I've ever met, but probably the most honest, and without a doubt, the least materialistic.<BR><BR>He has a good circle of friends, some richer (well, all richer, but that's not the point). His wife takes good care of him and their children live locally and visit every day. He still has his health, a devoted wife, well-raised and appreciative adult children and a circle of good friends. What more does he want? Nothing. He's a genuine guy. Add to that a wicked sense of self-deprecating humour and you have someone who is enjoyable to pass the time of day with.<BR><BR>And I have never heard him grumble about the hand life has dealt him. I'm not saying or implying that everyone could live the way he does, but I have met many foreigners with much greater funds that live a less satisfying life. Myself included while I was there. I envy him his peace of mind. He may not have material wealth but he has the kind of 'wealth' that money cannot buy: Happiness.<BR><BR>Just a thought in a thread about money...<BR><BR>Simon<BR>
<BR><BR>

Thanks for your thought, simon. I agree. We all walk our individual roads and, I too, have known many with a lot more money than I've ever had who didn't seem to enjoy life as much.

There is much to be said about the "little" things in life - happiness being one of the "big" little things in life.

This may be a little off track, but I'd like to relay a story about a friend of mine who's a very well-known actor. Very accomplished and successful and rich monetarily.

We were hanging out in New York one night and he told me that he was concerned about the fact that he's not married, no kids and wonders about his legacy. Then he told me that another friend of his in Los Angeles had told him that his films and tv shows would be his great legacy.

I listened and then offered my take on the whole legacy thing.

I told him that with all due respect to his other friend, I considered what he and I were doing that night to be a more important and bigger legacy - just hanging out, having a good time, enjoying the moment.

We were offering-up friendship and good things to the cosmos, while his films and tv shows were all nice, but they, in actuality, were not real. They were not him, but him playing a character.

As a punctuation to this, I pointed it out to him that he was very quick to tell a fan who referred to him by one of his well-known tv characters' names that, no, I'm so-and-so, not that character.

He looked at me and said he had never really thought about it like that.

Didn't mean to digress, but it kind of plays into the thread of things other than money etc. being truly important.

Although, until it's mandated that we don't need it any longer, I still want to have as much as I need to live the way I'd like.

Edited by bobbysan124

great post , sounds like a great fella

I know an Englishman, lives in east Pattaya now and has done for 23 years. He is now ~70 years old and, apart from the bank deposit to facilitate his retirement visa, he lives almost exclusively on his meager UK pension, plus the bit and pieces his wife of 25 years can make selling som tam and sewing/repairs for friends.

His house? Bedroom /living room, bathroom, hallway/storage and an outside Thai style kitchen with two ring gas cooker. Rents for 2,000 baht/month + 300-500 power and water bills. 95% Thai estate, poor people even by Thai standards but so what?

He runs a broken down old motorsai, goes for a beer with his mates two or three times a week and yet he is content. I wouldnt describe him as the happiest person I've ever met, but probably the most honest, and without a doubt, the least materialistic.

He has a good circle of friends, some richer (well, all richer, but that's not the point). His wife takes good care of him and their children live locally and visit every day. He still has his health, a devoted wife, well-raised and appreciative adult children and a circle of good friends. What more does he want? Nothing. He's a genuine guy. Add to that a wicked sense of self-deprecating humour and you have someone who is enjoyable to pass the time of day with.

And I have never heard him grumble about the hand life has dealt him. I'm not saying or implying that everyone could live the way he does, but I have met many foreigners with much greater funds that live a less satisfying life. Myself included while I was there. I envy him his peace of mind. He may not have material wealth but he has the kind of 'wealth' that money cannot buy: Happiness.

Just a thought in a thread about money...

Simon

Speaking for myself, rgs, I certainly wan't trying to get a pissing contest started, but I do agree with your premise about not just getting by as I stated earlier. And as you said, there are a lot of variables within each of our situations that would come into play.

Like you, I have always had good health insurance etc. and other "essentials" that I don't ever intend to forego. And, you're right, it's always prudent to have a "rainy day" fund set aside.

Still, I think it's interesting to hear what others are able to live on within the parameters of what they consider to be acceptable, even without knowing all the details.

Appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

Bobby, no I was just thinking out loud, we had one poster say 90k per month and another say 15k.

I am not Thai and have no desire to live like one.

Maybe I think too much, as the Thais always tell us, but I consider such things as inflation and exchange rates, I have seen more than one farang getting caught out, and having either to go home or seriously reduce his spending.

If for example you are spending 50k per month, I would assume allowing for inflation that will be 100k in 10 years time, yes this country is still cheap for the basics, but prices have been creeping up, and as for the things we farang like to indulge ourselves in, well check out the prices of cheese and wine.

Go and play a couple of rounds of golf once a week, and see how much it costs, ok these are things you can go without, but I personally still want quality of life.

Do these people ever go for holidays within Thailand, ever visit their home country?

Do they ever take their wifes out for dinner on special occasions to a decent restaurant, there must be more to life than exisitng on som tam and gaw man gai..

Throw into the equation the oddball family demands for money, there was some guy on another forum telling the story of how he had to dish out 50k to take care of funeral expenses, he got off lightly, others have had to pay out a lot more.

Yes we are all different and as such have differing expectations, but this country isnt as cheap as many make it out to be, just because Somcahi can exist on 8k per month doesnt mean I can.

I am certainly interested in knowing how someone can survive here on 15k per month, just shows it can be done, but it aint the type of life I want to lead.

Good luck.

You can live cheap in most countries, if you sleep under a bridge and eat from a garbage bin. Personally I like a few more luxuries than that. It's those luxuries that cost and a nice car and good food cost in Thailand. I can't live in the middle of no where without a car and the wife, kids and I can't live on sticky rice, frogs and bugs. If that were the case I may as well go back.home. Jim

If you have cash money to build and furniture a house, buy a car and a few other necessities, you could live quite cheap! :D

That is if you don't smoke, drink too much, or chase women........ :whistling:

I often wish I was better off, but like so many expats, life metered out some raw deals. When you hit your sunset years, survive on a basic pension, have nothing left back at home, and realize you are getting old, it’s time to decide how to make the most of what you have left. For me, a simple life in a Thai village, with a nice home, modern comforts, a great wife and adopted family outweighs the prospect of ending up in an old people’s home in England that smells of disinfectant and senility. I can live without life in the fast lane, or certain requirements deemed important to younger falangs living in Thailand. The same amount of money I get here would only give me a life of utter poverty back home by comparison.

• Like 1

I often wish I was better off, but like so many expats, life metered out some raw deals. When you hit your sunset years, survive on a basic pension, have nothing left back at home, and realize you are getting old, it's time to decide how to make the most of what you have left. For me, a simple life in a Thai village, with a nice home, modern comforts, a great wife and adopted family outweighs the prospect of ending up in an old people's home in England that smells of disinfectant and senility. I can live without life in the fast lane, or certain requirements deemed important to younger falangs living in Thailand. The same amount of money I get here would only give me a life of utter poverty back home by comparison.

An outstanding post.

I often wish I was better off, but like so many expats, life metered out some raw deals. When you hit your sunset years, survive on a basic pension, have nothing left back at home, and realize you are getting old, it's time to decide how to make the most of what you have left. For me, a simple life in a Thai village, with a nice home, modern comforts, a great wife and adopted family outweighs the prospect of ending up in an old people's home in England that smells of disinfectant and senility. I can live without life in the fast lane, or certain requirements deemed important to younger falangs living in Thailand. The same amount of money I get here would only give me a life of utter poverty back home by comparison.

+ 1 great summary

An outstanding post.

or don't mention your income at all, it isn't a requisite. ;)

Semper, on 2011-12-02 13:45:36, said:

OP. Tell your gf that you only get 45K per month. They tend to get funny ideas if they know the full amount. :D

I often wish I was better off, but like so many expats, life metered out some raw deals. When you hit your sunset years, survive on a basic pension, have nothing left back at home, and realize you are getting old, it’s time to decide how to make the most of what you have left. For me, a simple life in a Thai village, with a nice home, modern comforts, a great wife and adopted family outweighs the prospect of ending up in an old people’s home in England that smells of disinfectant and senility. I can live without life in the fast lane, or certain requirements deemed important to younger falangs living in Thailand. The same amount of money I get here would only give me a life of utter poverty back home by comparison.

... and Buddha wept.

... and Buddha wept.

I don't think Buddha would have wept! Nice to get your viewpoint, vpi78. And a happy Christmas!

... and Buddha wept.

I don't think Buddha would have wept! Nice to get your viewpoint, vpi78. And a happy Christmas!

And Merry Christmas to you. Thanks you for not calling it something like "Happy Holidays."

... and Buddha wept.

And Merry Christmas to you. Thanks you for not calling it something like "Happy Holidays."

Let's settle for 'happy days might or might not be here to stay' Have a good one.

Speaking for myself, rgs, I certainly wan't trying to get a pissing contest started, but I do agree with your premise about not just getting by as I stated earlier. And as you said, there are a lot of variables within each of our situations that would come into play.

Like you, I have always had good health insurance etc. and other "essentials" that I don't ever intend to forego. And, you're right, it's always prudent to have a "rainy day" fund set aside.

Still, I think it's interesting to hear what others are able to live on within the parameters of what they consider to be acceptable, even without knowing all the details.

Appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

Bobby, no I was just thinking out loud, we had one poster say 90k per month and another say 15k.

I am not Thai and have no desire to live like one.

Maybe I think too much, as the Thais always tell us, but I consider such things as inflation and exchange rates, I have seen more than one farang getting caught out, and having either to go home or seriously reduce his spending.

If for example you are spending 50k per month, I would assume allowing for inflation that will be 100k in 10 years time, yes this country is still cheap for the basics, but prices have been creeping up, and as for the things we farang like to indulge ourselves in, well check out the prices of cheese and wine.

Go and play a couple of rounds of golf once a week, and see how much it costs, ok these are things you can go without, but I personally still want quality of life.

Do these people ever go for holidays within Thailand, ever visit their home country?

Do they ever take their wifes out for dinner on special occasions to a decent restaurant, there must be more to life than exisitng on som tam and gaw man gai..

Throw into the equation the oddball family demands for money, there was some guy on another forum telling the story of how he had to dish out 50k to take care of funeral expenses, he got off lightly, others have had to pay out a lot more.

Yes we are all different and as such have differing expectations, but this country isnt as cheap as many make it out to be, just because Somcahi can exist on 8k per month doesnt mean I can.

I am certainly interested in knowing how someone can survive here on 15k per month, just shows it can be done, but it aint the type of life I want to lead.

Good luck.

Point taken, rgs. And, I, like you don't plan to give up on the things I like to do - travelling, nice dinners out, treating the ladyfriend etc. I've always been able to live comfortably and would always hope to continue to do so wherever I am in the world.

Edited by bobbysan124

You can live cheap in most countries, if you sleep under a bridge and eat from a garbage bin. Personally I like a few more luxuries than that. It's those luxuries that cost and a nice car and good food cost in Thailand. I can't live in the middle of no where without a car and the wife, kids and I can't live on sticky rice, frogs and bugs. If that were the case I may as well go back.home. Jim

I hear you, Jim. I've always liked my quality of life too and don't plan on sacrificing it.

Thanks for your perspective, jezz. We all get to crossroads sooner or later. Best to you.

OP. Tell your gf that you only get 45K per month. They tend to get funny ideas if they know the full amount. :D

You mean you don't believe in "full disclosure?" :D

Ahh, the strong pillars in any relationship.

;-)

I guess since you are about to give it a go, you already know her pretty well.

You also know her close and distant family?

I dont say they will come after you in order to borrow.

They never did that with me.

But if you will live together, should we not tell the thruth?

Strangely enough, the "Thai women only look at farangs as walking ATM's members" have not been too active yet.

lol

I for one also feel that you own your place/car, live in a village not that far from a big city for the regular grocery runs, and want just a normal, everyday life...it can be quite inexpensive.

I think we manage (wife+kid+me) from no more than around 30.000THB a month. That pays the bills, buys the food, fill the car and the motorbike, and leaves some for occasional travel around, or visit to the family, no problem.

Should the big city be a bit nearer, not 60 kms away, would be even better.

Do i go out a lot? not. do i drink a lot? not. do i buy lots of useless gudgets? not.

Am i happy and feel that i have a decent life? yes.

oh, forget to mention, that i am still working part the year away from thailand. but those above numbers are for the time i am at home.

when i am not, and there is no Coke, occasional visit to have pizza, McD (things kid likes too) and wife driving the bike around, shopping locally, than the numbers for her stand less than 10.000 THB!!

No walking ATM...no money to support such believes, so no requests coming neither!

And yes, the kid is in a government school, what i would be happy to up one to some semi-private for better education, as we had in the city...but there is no such options, we go with what there is.

I for one also feel that you own your place/car, live in a village not that far from a big city for the regular grocery runs, and want just a normal, everyday life...it can be quite inexpensive.

I think we manage (wife+kid+me) from no more than around 30.000THB a month. That pays the bills, buys the food, fill the car and the motorbike, and leaves some for occasional travel around, or visit to the family, no problem.

Do i go out a lot? not. do i drink a lot? not. do i buy lots of useless gudgets? not.

oh, forget to mention, that i am still working part the year away from thailand. but those above numbers are for the time i am at home.

when i am not, and there is no Coke, occasional visit to have pizza, McD (things kid likes too) and wife driving the bike around, shopping locally, than the numbers for her stand less than 10.000 THB!!

No walking ATM...no money to support such believes, so no requests coming neither!

And yes, the kid is in a government school, what i would be happy to up one to some semi-private for better education, as we had in the city...but there is no such options, we go with what there is.

This is a pretty close match to my lifestyle. We live well on around that money.

You mean you don't believe in "full disclosure?" :D

Ahh, the strong pillars in any relationship.

;-)

I guess since you are about to give it a go, you already know her pretty well.

You also know her close and distant family?

I dont say they will come after you in order to borrow.

They never did that with me.

But if you will live together, should we not tell the thruth?

Strangely enough, the "Thai women only look at farangs as walking ATM's members" have not been too active yet.

lol

Thanks, travel. Know the close family, not sure how many of the "distant" are still to come, though. And, like you, haven't been approached about money. Did have to assure one chap though that not all Americans are rich.

And as I stated earlier in the thread, my ladyfriend has always had my back in terms of spending. So, I can't complain.

Thanks, tingtong, for comment. I think your sentiment about being happy and having a decent life puts it all into perspective.