Net Income

bobbysan124

I for one also feel that you own your place/car, live in a village not that far from a big city for the regular grocery runs, and want just a normal, everyday life...it can be quite inexpensive.

I think we manage (wife+kid+me) from no more than around 30.000THB a month. That pays the bills, buys the food, fill the car and the motorbike, and leaves some for occasional travel around, or visit to the family, no problem.

Should the big city be a bit nearer, not 60 kms away, would be even better.

Do i go out a lot? not. do i drink a lot? not. do i buy lots of useless gudgets? not.

Am i happy and feel that i have a decent life? yes.

oh, forget to mention, that i am still working part the year away from thailand. but those above numbers are for the time i am at home.

when i am not, and there is no Coke, occasional visit to have pizza, McD (things kid likes too) and wife driving the bike around, shopping locally, than the numbers for her stand less than 10.000 THB!!

No walking ATM...no money to support such believes, so no requests coming neither!

And yes, the kid is in a government school, what i would be happy to up one to some semi-private for better education, as we had in the city...but there is no such options, we go with what there is.

This is a pretty close match to my lifestyle. We live well on around that money.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, jezz.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck amigo, but I would not tell anyone what your monthly income is. I lived in Issarn for 30,000 baht per month like royalty with 4 children. A thousand Baht per day is plenty if you cook your own food and own everything. The greatest weakness in the rice fields has to be cash= not many have it and this is why even 500 baht per day puts you in the comfort zone. The secret to living here is owning everything. Being under the gun to make monthly payments is not pleasant, but you do have the income to support a great lifestyle. The familia later moved to Krung Thep and we lived on 80,000 Baht per month which included travel, school, food, and the beach.

Good luck amigo, but I would not tell anyone what your monthly income is. I lived in Issarn for 30,000 baht per month like royalty with 4 children. A thousand Baht per day is plenty if you cook your own food and own everything. The greatest weakness in the rice fields has to be cash= not many have it and this is why even 500 baht per day puts you in the comfort zone. The secret to living here is owning everything. Being under the gun to make monthly payments is not pleasant, but you do have the income to support a great lifestyle. The familia later moved to Krung Thep and we lived on 80,000 Baht per month which included travel, school, food, and the beach.

Words of wisdom.

Own it outright.

Thanks, tamsom. Appreciate your take on the issue.

Words of wisdom.

Own it outright.

I agree, chuck. Thanks.

Ok, your girlfriend will help you when you have problems to spend the amount. :rolleyes:

oh ,yes they will.

Sure you can live at most places in Thailand with 85k.

you can have my thai darling,

she will leave me for that for that amount ,

she never go farang before .

:jap:

best of luck.

Rule of thumb is to only let her know you have half of what you really do. 40k is a good round number to tell her.

Sounds like a real good way of building a great relationship.... by lying. :annoyed:

Have to say, memock, I've never operated like that. Would be a clear sign that you're with the wrong one no matter where you are in the world.

Bobby,

Living in Issan is much cheaper than other parts of Thailand as there are no tourists to gouge. You mentioned that you are a verteran. If you are an American veteran we have a VFW Post in Undon Thani with about 200 members. If you are an Ameican vet I would suggest you join the Post. They can help in many ways and explain your benefits here in Thailand and if you every get married can help your spouse get a widows pension when you die. If you are intersted PM me and I can get you the Post Commanders email address.

rokit

Thanks, Rdrokit. I am an American vet and appreciate the info. Will definitely keep that in mind.

There are also a few scattered around Amper NKP/Sak Nakhon. A few decent guys around Pla Pak also

Bobby,

Living in Issan is much cheaper than other parts of Thailand as there are no tourists to gouge. You mentioned that you are a verteran. If you are an American veteran we have a VFW Post in Undon Thani with about 200 members. If you are an Ameican vet I would suggest you join the Post. They can help in many ways and explain your benefits here in Thailand and if you every get married can help your spouse get a widows pension when you die. If you are intersted PM me and I can get you the Post Commanders email address.

rokit

Thanks, Rdrokit. I am an American vet and appreciate the info. Will definitely keep that in mind.

There are also a few scattered around Amper NKP/Sak Nakhon. A few decent guys around Pla Pak also

Thanks, riepan.

It's interesting to hear others voice their opinion on cost of village living. I've yet to see anyone talk of money spent on parties for beginning construction of new house and the big good luck party when house is finished. Last year we finished buiding our new house and the party turned huge with 400 invitations going out. Live band, pig and cow, booze and lets not forget the 13 monks for morning ceromony, police for security. The entire party lasted 4 days from setting up to clean-up. Cost was roughly 200 K.

In Oct. our daughter was born and it was my birthday in Oct. so lets have a party. Small but after buying pig, booze and sing-a-song it cost around 25 K. I was around for the rice harvest this year. For roughly 15 rai. of rice it took 27 people to cut the rice at a cost of 300 baht per person and some beer and whiskey at the end of the day. My 27 yr. old son visited for a month and we gave the village market good business buying Leo and Blend daily. We had no problem finding people to drink with us at the house.

When I'm gone I expect my lady to get by on 30 K. a month. Diapers, formula, doctor visits....... it all adds up. Oh and lets not forget jack-pot numbers. Am presently having a retaining wall built around house, 60 running meters worth. I better stop rambling for now. Pob gan mai................

It's interesting to hear others voice their opinion on cost of village living. I've yet to see anyone talk of money spent on parties for beginning construction of new house and the big good luck party when house is finished. Last year we finished buiding our new house and the party turned huge with 400 invitations going out. Live band, pig and cow, booze and lets not forget the 13 monks for morning ceromony, police for security. The entire party lasted 4 days from setting up to clean-up. Cost was roughly 200 K.

In Oct. our daughter was born and it was my birthday in Oct. so lets have a party. Small but after buying pig, booze and sing-a-song it cost around 25 K. I was around for the rice harvest this year. For roughly 15 rai. of rice it took 27 people to cut the rice at a cost of 300 baht per person and some beer and whiskey at the end of the day. My 27 yr. old son visited for a month and we gave the village market good business buying Leo and Blend daily. We had no problem finding people to drink with us at the house.

When I'm gone I expect my lady to get by on 30 K. a month. Diapers, formula, doctor visits....... it all adds up. Oh and lets not forget jack-pot numbers. Am presently having a retaining wall built around house, 60 running meters worth. I better stop rambling for now. Pob gan mai................

Never had either party. Had a small dedication when the first post was built and a small dedication when the spirt house went up. Total cost about 10,000 baht. Guess my wife is frugal

Never had either party. Had a small dedication when the first post was built and a small dedication when the spirt house went up. Total cost about 10,000 baht. Guess my wife is frugal

I initially resisted replying to this topic BUT, I could also have found better use for 200k -- however, in the current economic climate, if you have it spare, go break a leg and have a beano for everyone. I'm sure the original poster in Pla Pak will also find hundreds to share his good fortune --- of course, attitudes and new found friendships generally change if/when the dosh runs out.

As with all other similar topics, there are no hard and fast rules living in a Thai community. Just do what you can and live within your means keeping a lot for the inevitable rainy day. Through personal experience, I have found living in a small town within a few hours of the wife's family has been much better than living actually in the village. The occassional visit there makes a change and more affordable --- but always nice to return to civiliization.

After reading the posts I think that there appears to be 2 types of people here. Those that came to live and those that came to make a new life.

In my case have 2 small kids, both born in Australia and we came here so that they and us would have a better life style.. That's where the cost of living grows. Nappies cost here as they do in Australia, you need a car just as we did in Australia, electrical good cost the same and sometimes more. It may be cheaper here for somethings, but to achieve the same standards of living as they would enjoy in the west costs. My wife nor I would have made the move here if we thought the kids would be disadvantaged in the long term.

To sustain the same standard of living in Australia the wife and I would both need to be working, kids would be in day care. Here I am the boss, which makes me a 24/7 dad, the same goes for the wife.

We went to Australia for last Xmas, my 3 year old at the time said, daddy in the village I am a princess, but here I am just a little girl. I want my 2 girls to both grow up as princesses not just another kid in the street.

Jezz said he lives with his wife and her 2 kids on 30,000 a month, wonder if they were his kids would things be different.

I guess comparing living costs is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, we all have different expectations and needs. I employ 10 people in the village and just as if I were a Thai, being the boss, there are expectations and they cost. Don't think I will ever earn enough, the more you make the more that is expected. Jim

After reading the posts I think that there appears to be 2 types of people here. Those that came to live and those that came to make a new life.

In my case have 2 small kids, both born in Australia and we came here so that they and us would have a better life style.. That's where the cost of living grows. Nappies cost here as they do in Australia, you need a car just as we did in Australia, electrical good cost the same and sometimes more. It may be cheaper here for somethings, but to achieve the same standards of living as they would enjoy in the west costs. My wife nor I would have made the move here if we thought the kids would be disadvantaged in the long term.

To sustain the same standard of living in Australia the wife and I would both need to be working, kids would be in day care. Here I am the boss, which makes me a 24/7 dad, the same goes for the wife.

We went to Australia for last Xmas, my 3 year old at the time said, daddy in the village I am a princess, but here I am just a little girl. I want my 2 girls to both grow up as princesses not just another kid in the street.

Jezz said he lives with his wife and her 2 kids on 30,000 a month, wonder if they were his kids would things be different.

I guess comparing living costs is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, we all have different expectations and needs. I employ 10 people in the village and just as if I were a Thai, being the boss, there are expectations and they cost. Don't think I will ever earn enough, the more you make the more that is expected. Jim

If they were my own kids I’d still be on the same money. I wish it grew on trees. Unlike many of us farangs, I’ve reached the age where I can’t work anymore and am grateful for small mercies like a good Thai wife and family who accept me and circumstances for what they are.

Thanks, kdadane. For that kind of money, I hope a good time was had by all. But, seriously, appreciate the insight. And congrats on the child.

Thanks, rdrokit. Good to see that, obviously, there's no prerequisite as to what should or shouldn't happen with the various scenarios. Appreciate your take on it.

Thanks, jim. I agree. We all have our view of what works for us, what we've got to have and what we can do without. Appreciate your comments.

I initially resisted replying to this topic BUT, I could also have found better use for 200k -- however, in the current economic climate, if you have it spare, go break a leg and have a beano for everyone. I'm sure the original poster in Pla Pak will also find hundreds to share his good fortune --- of course, attitudes and new found friendships generally change if/when the dosh runs out.

As with all other similar topics, there are no hard and fast rules living in a Thai community. Just do what you can and live within your means keeping a lot for the inevitable rainy day. Through personal experience, I have found living in a small town within a few hours of the wife's family has been much better than living actually in the village. The occassional visit there makes a change and more affordable --- but always nice to return to civiliization.

Thanks, riepan. Your thought has crossed my mind regarding living reasonably close by her people, but not necessarily right in her village. Appreciate your comments.

Thanks, kdadane. For that kind of money, I hope a good time was had by all. But, seriously, appreciate the insight. And congrats on the child.

bobbysan-

You know, when we started planning party we thought of having it catered for maybe 100 people. But little by little it got bigger and bigger. Then we figured we would buy a large bull, pig and all the other food - not to mention a tremendous amount of booze and good live music on a stage in the rice field. Also buying everything needed for ceremony with monks in the house cost. I was floored by the cost when it was all said and done but I must say it was one fine party.

Having said all that. I work overseas in various countries and am gone 5 mos at a time with 2 mos. in the village. I can't afford to simply stop working. With a new baby more money is needed. A new pickup will be next. You know I always think about money. I too am frugal by nature and do appreciate others views. Anyway will be back in sakon nakhon area in 4-5 mos.

post-146913-0-86535300-1324347294_thumb.

bobbysan-

You know, when we started planning party we thought of having it catered for maybe 100 people. But little by little it got bigger and bigger. Then we figured we would buy a large bull, pig and all the other food - not to mention a tremendous amount of booze and good live music on a stage in the rice field. Also buying everything needed for ceremony with monks in the house cost. I was floored by the cost when it was all said and done but I must say it was one fine party.

Having said all that. I work overseas in various countries and am gone 5 mos at a time with 2 mos. in the village. I can't afford to simply stop working. With a new baby more money is needed. A new pickup will be next. You know I always think about money. I too am frugal by nature and do appreciate others views. Anyway will be back in sakon nakhon area in 4-5 mos.

Thanks, kdadane. I understand where you're coming from. And, sometimes you just say "what the hell" and spend what you have to spend and enjoy it. But, I also appreciate the fact that you still keep your eye on your long term stability. And thank you for the pic. Good luck with the "newbie."

bobbysan-

Firstly I want to say that this has been an excellent thread - you "up country" guys and girls can discuss monthly expenses without the stupidity that we experience on the general forum. Example from recent general forum discussion - "I couldn't live on 1 satang less that 300,000 per month" . It was a ridculous p*ssing contest.

I must say however, without being disrespectful to the poster, that 200,000 on a party is excessive. Consider this - that is more than 1 year's salary for most country thai people. That is like a person in America spending $100k on a party. No-one in their right mind would even consider it. However, if you are working away a lot and don't mind spending the money - then "up to you". Choc dee.

Know a few people living in Isahn on about 50k p/m. Small families. They get by okay but that's about it. They live a happy enough existence but don't have luxuries or rainy-day fall back.

Fortunately their families are used to getting by on far less. :rolleyes:

Notice it's 'getting by' and not 'living'.

Edited by hehehoho

Know a few people living in Isahn on about 50k p/m. Small families. They get by okay but that's about it. They live a happy enough existence but don't have luxuries or rainy-day fall back.

Fortunately their families are used to getting by on far less. :rolleyes:

Notice it's 'getting by' and not 'living'.

If you’ve read a good number of replies on this thread you’ll have noticed some – including me – live well on well under 50K. There are the guys who still earn good money out of Thailand, and spend a deal of it back here, and there are others – like me – who live here on very modest retirement incomes. A modest retirement income is sufficient to sustain a much better lifestyle on the same pension than in my home country.

Firstly I want to say that this has been an excellent thread - you "up country" guys and girls can discuss monthly expenses without the stupidity that we experience on the general forum. Example from recent general forum discussion - "I couldn't live on 1 satang less that 300,000 per month" . It was a ridculous p*ssing contest.

I must say however, without being disrespectful to the poster, that 200,000 on a party is excessive. Consider this - that is more than 1 year's salary for most country thai people. That is like a person in America spending $100k on a party. No-one in their right mind would even consider it. However, if you are working away a lot and don't mind spending the money - then "up to you". Choc dee.

Saved me the bother of writing it, concur 100%.

Although I would say your maths are a bit off, its more like 2 years salary.

One thing I have noticed over the years, its amazing the amount of ju ju cermonies that somehow go out the window when the farang isnt paying, the locals know exactly what sort of money this is and how long it takes to save that sort of money never mind earn it.

I know guys who will never make it over here, houses and trucks have been bought already, but the guys dont save any money, just blow it like drunken sailors on shore leave.

The above is an observation not a criticism, I really dont care what people do with their money, but what winds me up is what is passed off onto gullible farang as "tradition".

Sat at a swimming pool in Pattaya as some poor sap was being told it would cost him 30k to throw a party for his BG girlfriend when they visited her village for the first time, because it was tradition, another lamb to the slaughter.

In many cases its not even chok dee up to you, the poor guys dont know any better.

My mrs would NEVER consider spending that sort of money on nothing more than a horse and pony show, and she knows what the answer would be if she asked me for the money, if you want it you pay even if it means selling your gold to pay for it.

The reality of spending big money also could spell disaster if the chap finally wants to live in the area when he’s finished earning. Unless very well off at that time, finding the locals only understand the days when he splashed the cash around could be a bit difficult to cope with. Then try getting them to understand! We spent the grand total of 15k on our little wedding party, and the in-laws chipped in 5k of that. Yet virtually all the villagers treat me as a friend, always smiling and chatting, never expecting anything, but very occasionally sharing a beer with me.

^ ^ Nice post.

I agree with what you say about the 'tradition' <deleted>.

We built a house. No before party, no after party. Not even discussed. My wife hates drunk free loaders and I did what I have always done back home when finishing a building. Gave a good feed and a few drinks to all the builders. Sorted.

Also, my in-laws understand that I am not Buddhist so when I bought a car, a motorbike or some land then there are no monks, no garlands, no amulets etc. No problems :)

200K for a house warming? :blink: Like you said however, if you had a good time and were happy to spend that much then go for it, i just hope that others reading this realise that it is very much an exception to what normally happens.

Edited by MeMock