Net Income

bobbysan124

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know a few people living in Isahn on about 50k p/m. Small families. They get by okay but that's about it. They live a happy enough existence but don't have luxuries or rainy-day fall back.

Fortunately their families are used to getting by on far less. :rolleyes:

Notice it's 'getting by' and not 'living'.

If you’ve read a good number of replies on this thread you’ll have noticed some – including me – live well on well under 50K. There are the guys who still earn good money out of Thailand, and spend a deal of it back here, and there are others – like me – who live here on very modest retirement incomes. A modest retirement income is sufficient to sustain a much better lifestyle on the same pension than in my home country.

Again, things are subjective.

Your last sentence is almost certainly correct though.

I will add that owning your own house and vehicles without debt will certainly help. As will not having a freeloading distant family - SiL needs 15k to help her business, BiL needs 10k for a motorbike because he got drunk and wrote off his last one etc.

If renting/financing. Look at at least 10k for a western style house. Pick-up and scooter repayments of what, 25k. Add bills and internet...

School for the kids? Do you really want your children in the free Thai educational system in Isaan? 60 in a class and a Thai teacher that is likely educated to the level of a highschool student in the West.

2 or 3 nights out in a nice place per month. A week at the beach for the family twice a year at the school holidays.

Money away for a rainy-day/the kids college fund/ensuring the wife won't struggle when you're gone.

Getting by and living are certainly different things imo.

Edited by hehehoho

Awhile back while leaving 7-11 outside of town a lady pulls up on a motorbike with a sidecart such as food venders use. In the cart sat her farang man probably in his 60's holding a baby. I nodded hello as I left. Back home I tell my lady we don't have to buy a car, no I'll just get a sidecar for our motorbike and explained to her what I saw. A few days ago my lady takes our baby to the hospital for a immunuzation shot and the same motorbike with sidecar is there. If this farang is reading this I don't mean any disrespect wharsoever. But you have to admit It's a bit unusual. I told my lady and her friends I was going to do the same thing - everyone had a chuckle.

So there are extremes - One fella in the next village built his lady's parents a house and got them a pickup.

Would I do the 200K. "Good Luck Party" for our new house again even after reading these posts????? Absolutely!!! But by the way it's interesting hearing others take on things. Like I said before, When I'm away I don't expect the household to spend more than 30K a month. I'm happy to improve their way of life. When I'm there The same except for the money I spend on improvements and occassional small drinking sessions - hahahaaaaa I don't have people borrowing money nor do they expect handouts within the village. Anyway, you all have a good one...................

It's interesting to hear others voice their opinion on cost of village living. I've yet to see anyone talk of money spent on parties for beginning construction of new house and the big good luck party when house is finished. Last year we finished buiding our new house and the party turned huge with 400 invitations going out. Live band, pig and cow, booze and lets not forget the 13 monks for morning ceromony, police for security. The entire party lasted 4 days from setting up to clean-up. Cost was roughly 200 K.

In Oct. our daughter was born and it was my birthday in Oct. so lets have a party. Small but after buying pig, booze and sing-a-song it cost around 25 K. I was around for the rice harvest this year. For roughly 15 rai. of rice it took 27 people to cut the rice at a cost of 300 baht per person and some beer and whiskey at the end of the day. My 27 yr. old son visited for a month and we gave the village market good business buying Leo and Blend daily. We had no problem finding people to drink with us at the house.

When I'm gone I expect my lady to get by on 30 K. a month. Diapers, formula, doctor visits....... it all adds up. Oh and lets not forget jack-pot numbers. Am presently having a retaining wall built around house, 60 running meters worth. I better stop rambling for now. Pob gan mai................

Thanks, kdadane. For that kind of money, I hope a good time was had by all. But, seriously, appreciate the insight. And congrats on the child.

bobbysan-

You know, when we started planning party we thought of having it catered for maybe 100 people. But little by little it got bigger and bigger. Then we figured we would buy a large bull, pig and all the other food - not to mention a tremendous amount of booze and good live music on a stage in the rice field. Also buying everything needed for ceremony with monks in the house cost. I was floored by the cost when it was all said and done but I must say it was one fine party.

Having said all that. I work overseas in various countries and am gone 5 mos at a time with 2 mos. in the village. I can't afford to simply stop working. With a new baby more money is needed. A new pickup will be next. You know I always think about money. I too am frugal by nature and do appreciate others views. Anyway will be back in sakon nakhon area in 4-5 mos.

Firstly I want to say that this has been an excellent thread - you "up country" guys and girls can discuss monthly expenses without the stupidity that we experience on the general forum. Example from recent general forum discussion - "I couldn't live on 1 satang less that 300,000 per month" . It was a ridculous p*ssing contest.

I must say however, without being disrespectful to the poster, that 200,000 on a party is excessive. Consider this - that is more than 1 year's salary for most country thai people. That is like a person in America spending $100k on a party. No-one in their right mind would even consider it. However, if you are working away a lot and don't mind spending the money - then "up to you". Choc dee.

Thanks, tink. I, too, am grateful that the thread has been sane and intelligent.

There is no real answer to the question, may as well ask how much to live in the US,UK, EU or OZ. We will all live or try to live within our means. One mans poverty will be anthers dream. Jim

I agree, jim. For my part, I really just wanted a spectrum of experiences and thoughts from folks who've been around the block. Try never to turn my back on info. As the old saying goes, "a wise man can learn even from a fool, but a fool cannot learn, even from a wise man."

I've probably got a bit of a different perspective, in that I'm reasonably young (29), working and until recently was single. However here's a 2c:

I'm living in the countryside, around 1km out of a small town in RoiEt. I'm getting a salary of 35k per month and a free house. I go away to the city every weekend where I'd stay in hotels and go out drinking until 4am every weekend. I actually couldn't spend more than 35k per month, around 25k was the maximum I could spend by myself in a big month. Of which, I was spending around 20k on my weekends (Around 5k per weekend), but only around 5k per month during the week.

In general it's still only my trips to the city on the weekend which are expensive (Spend around 500 on petrol driving there, 1000 on hotels, 500 on kfc, ~2000 on alcohol and then 1000 on random stuff each weekend). I could get by quite easily on around 10k per month I think if I gave up drinking. Or I could decrease my cost of living down to around 15k per month if I wasn't living in the countryside thus have to travel to get to a decent bar (Being a teacher here in such a small town, I'd have too much gossip if I regularly went to bars full of Lao girls, even if my gf was with me)

You can live very very cheaply in Thailand, I don't even try to be particularly stingy or anything, and yet I find it difficult to spend large amounts of money unless I'm feeling particularly charitable, visiting BKK or making a "capital purchase" as I consider them (e.g. toys / furniture etc, things which I won't need to buy again).

*Most of these costings are based on when I was single although now even with a gf, my costs have only gone up slightly, as we usually take turns on who pays for the bills (and she can cook, and believes that cooked food is cheaper, although I'm sure it works out to about the same or more lol, particularly as then the portions are often just larger... have put on 4-5kg in the past 2-3 months since she started cooking lol)

It's interesting to hear others voice their opinion on cost of village living. I've yet to see anyone talk of money spent on parties for beginning construction of new house and the big good luck party when house is finished. Last year we finished buiding our new house and the party turned huge with 400 invitations going out. Live band, pig and cow, booze and lets not forget the 13 monks for morning ceromony, police for security. The entire party lasted 4 days from setting up to clean-up. Cost was roughly 200 K.

In Oct. our daughter was born and it was my birthday in Oct. so lets have a party. Small but after buying pig, booze and sing-a-song it cost around 25 K. I was around for the rice harvest this year. For roughly 15 rai. of rice it took 27 people to cut the rice at a cost of 300 baht per person and some beer and whiskey at the end of the day. My 27 yr. old son visited for a month and we gave the village market good business buying Leo and Blend daily. We had no problem finding people to drink with us at the house.

When I'm gone I expect my lady to get by on 30 K. a month. Diapers, formula, doctor visits....... it all adds up. Oh and lets not forget jack-pot numbers. Am presently having a retaining wall built around house, 60 running meters worth. I better stop rambling for now. Pob gan mai................

Thanks, kdadane. For that kind of money, I hope a good time was had by all. But, seriously, appreciate the insight. And congrats on the child.

bobbysan-

You know, when we started planning party we thought of having it catered for maybe 100 people. But little by little it got bigger and bigger. Then we figured we would buy a large bull, pig and all the other food - not to mention a tremendous amount of booze and good live music on a stage in the rice field. Also buying everything needed for ceremony with monks in the house cost. I was floored by the cost when it was all said and done but I must say it was one fine party.

Having said all that. I work overseas in various countries and am gone 5 mos at a time with 2 mos. in the village. I can't afford to simply stop working. With a new baby more money is needed. A new pickup will be next. You know I always think about money. I too am frugal by nature and do appreciate others views. Anyway will be back in sakon nakhon area in 4-5 mos.

Firstly I want to say that this has been an excellent thread - you "up country" guys and girls can discuss monthly expenses without the stupidity that we experience on the general forum. Example from recent general forum discussion - "I couldn't live on 1 satang less that 300,000 per month" . It was a ridculous p*ssing contest.

I must say however, without being disrespectful to the poster, that 200,000 on a party is excessive. Consider this - that is more than 1 year's salary for most country thai people. That is like a person in America spending $100k on a party. No-one in their right mind would even consider it. However, if you are working away a lot and don't mind spending the money - then "up to you". Choc dee.

Completely agree, this has been a great thread.

For those that are content with their 30k to 50k baht per month budget, I have a question. Would double that budget, say 100k baht per month, or even triple that budget 150k baht per month, make a real, material difference to your lifestyle, or are you that content with your existing lifestyle that you really wouldnt do much more differently, and in essence the extra money could just be saved.

The reason I ask is for those of us who have yet to make the move over, the constant dilemma is whether one should work a few more years to build up the nest egg to make that income bigger in retirement. For me, there will be no turning back once I stop working here, suits will be burnt and that will be that - work will be a dirty word. So I need to be sure I will be good to go. So what are peoples thoughts on this.

• Like 1

expatdreamer,

the first question I usually ask people in your situation is, can you afford to retire in your home country?

Secondly, what do you intend to do here?

Thirdly, do you actually know the cost of things here?

Without knowing your circumstances I cant offer advice about working longer, how much would your pension increase by, how much would you save by working an extra x years?

I would also advise having a backup plan, dont burn any bridges back home.

Just because people can get by on x baht per month doesnt mean to say you can.

In your shoes, if you think you can get by on x baht per month, next time you come here bring that amount only, keep a diary of your outgoings and see if you can make it work.

For the first six months you will be adjusting to being here, after which you will have established a pattern and should have a better idea of costs.

The most important part in the equation will be your wife, will she be able to fend off the requests for money?

Will the mrs be tempted by get rich quick schemes?

What does your wife actually think about you retiring here?

Too many variables, as mentioned before one mans dream is anothers nightmare.

You should also consider such details as, exchange rates, inflation and bank interest rates, if you think you can get by on x per month, in 10 years time will you have 2x per month.

After setting up home remember things wear out and need replacing, in 10 years down the road will you have the money to replace things such as a/c units, fridges, a new car etc etc.

I always tell people, Thailand isnt going anywhere, it will still be here in 5 years time, but will you feel the same way in 5 years time?

I've probably got a bit of a different perspective, in that I'm reasonably young (29), working and until recently was single. However here's a 2c:

I'm living in the countryside, around 1km out of a small town in RoiEt. I'm getting a salary of 35k per month and a free house. I go away to the city every weekend where I'd stay in hotels and go out drinking until 4am every weekend. I actually couldn't spend more than 35k per month, around 25k was the maximum I could spend by myself in a big month. Of which, I was spending around 20k on my weekends (Around 5k per weekend), but only around 5k per month during the week.

In general it's still only my trips to the city on the weekend which are expensive (Spend around 500 on petrol driving there, 1000 on hotels, 500 on kfc, ~2000 on alcohol and then 1000 on random stuff each weekend). I could get by quite easily on around 10k per month I think if I gave up drinking. Or I could decrease my cost of living down to around 15k per month if I wasn't living in the countryside thus have to travel to get to a decent bar (Being a teacher here in such a small town, I'd have too much gossip if I regularly went to bars full of Lao girls, even if my gf was with me)

You can live very very cheaply in Thailand, I don't even try to be particularly stingy or anything, and yet I find it difficult to spend large amounts of money unless I'm feeling particularly charitable, visiting BKK or making a "capital purchase" as I consider them (e.g. toys / furniture etc, things which I won't need to buy again).

*Most of these costings are based on when I was single although now even with a gf, my costs have only gone up slightly, as we usually take turns on who pays for the bills (and she can cook, and believes that cooked food is cheaper, although I'm sure it works out to about the same or more lol, particularly as then the portions are often just larger... have put on 4-5kg in the past 2-3 months since she started cooking lol)

Thanks, sly. Appreciate your comments. I also know what you mean about putting on a few lbs. via ladyfriend's cooking. Had to make a concerted effort to put the brakes on! cowboy.gif

Edited by bobbysan124

expatdreamer,

the first question I usually ask people in your situation is, can you afford to retire in your home country?

Without knowing your circumstances I cant offer advice about working longer, how much would your pension increase by, how much would you save by working an extra x years?

In your shoes, if you think you can get by on x baht per month, next time you come here bring that amount only, keep a diary of your outgoings and see if you can make it work.

For the first six months you will be adjusting to being here, after which you will have established a pattern and should have a better idea of costs.

The most important part in the equation will be your wife, will she be able to fend off the requests for money?

You should also consider such details as, exchange rates, inflation and bank interest rates, if you think you can get by on x per month, in 10 years time will you have 2x per month.

After setting up home remember things wear out and need replacing, in 10 years down the road will you have the money to replace things such as a/c units, fridges, a new car etc etc.

I always tell people, Thailand isnt going anywhere, it will still be here in 5 years time, but will you feel the same way in 5 years time?

Nicely put, rgs.

expatdreamer,

Nicely put, rgs.

Agreed, all good comments

Your first question was to consider whether one can afford to retire in ones home country. For me, the appeal of retiring to Thailand, and for many I suspect, is in fact being able to shave a few years off your working life (and escape the rat race in the West), due to the lower cost of living in LOS. This is a distinct advantage in my opinion - who really wants to work longer than they have to - I guess there are some, but I am not in that camp.

But all of your points are well made. My question was really aimed at those with an income of 30k to 50k per month, and whether all things considered were they genuinely content or would prefer a bit more than this. Irrespective, it is still good to know that you can still get by on this money and have a better lifestyle than you would in the West

Strictly taking care of no one but yourself and immediate family is an important factor.

I give my wife nothing as she works for a living. But many seem to be of the doormat variety.

I give nothing and expect nothing with regards to other Thais, be it extended family or whatever. If they ever wanted a loan they can come and clean my condo and be paid for it at a maid's rate.

When we have children this will change as she'll obviously have to reduce her working hours.