German Tourist Fatally Injured After Falling From Elephant's Back

webfact

German tourist fatally injured after falling from elephant's back

The Nation

Krabi - A German woman has been fatally injured after she and her husband fell from an elephant's back during a ride on a forest track in this southern province.

Police said the accident happened in Tambon Krabinoi in Krabi's Mueang district at 6 pm on Tuesday.

Police said Kertstin Kretz Schmar, 42, died at the Krabi Hospital following the accident.

Police said the woman had an elephant ride with her husband, Joachim Kretzs Schmar, on a forest track for an hour. During their way back, the seat on the elephant's back tilted on one side, the woman became frightened and jumped to hold her husband, sending both to fall down.

Police said the husband fell on top of the woman, causing her to be fatally injured.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-30

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, what caused the accident was a poorly fastened seating...

Seconded. Did they really blame the husband?

The re-assignment of blame and in-ability to take any responsibility here whatsoever knows no bounds.

Amazing Thailand yet again.

RIP and condolences.

The re-assignment of blame and in-ability to take any responsibility here whatsoever knows no bounds.

RIP and condolences.

The report doesn't apportion blame; it just states what happened. You lot are too paranoid.

RIP and condolences.

The report doesn't apportion blame; it just states what happened. You lot are too paranoid.

The report: "Police said the husband fell on top of the woman, causing her to be fatally injured."

Sorry for Mr. Schmar's loss, and I'm sorry he'll have no recourse to civil justice here in Thailand.

RIP and condolences.

100% agree with you!

RIP and condolences.

100% agree with you!

+1

RIP and condolences.

The report: "Police said the husband fell on top of the woman, causing her to be fatally injured."

Sorry for Mr. Schmar's loss, and I'm sorry he'll have no recourse to civil justice here in Thailand.

That isn't apportioning blame if its stating what happened! Seat came loose, couple fell, one landed on the other....that's what it says, and that could well be the facts. Why do you assume they are trying to deflect blame? Or were you there and saw it as it happened?

Why do people on this always have to be so quick to bash? Its frankly pathetic and xenophobic.

RIP and condolences.

Paranoia when it doesn't come from mind bending Drugs, generally comes for good reason..

& in this case no one's paranoid anyway..

" Police said the husband fell on top of the woman, causing her to be fatally injured. "

RIP and condolences.

It (the report) at 'least so far' does not apportion blame however the case has not been conclusively investigated yet.

It is fairly clear that the company is responsible (insecure seat) but historically whether there will be any action is another matter 'TIT'

Edited by VictorOne

RIP and condolences.

more likely you haven't been here long enough to find out.

If a Thai died in an accident similar to this in the west he or she would sue us for every dollar they could get. In Thailand there will be no accountability. The Thai owner is living in Singapore or Hong kong and not available for comment... Case closed... Dead farangs family will have to pay morgue fees as well before its released to Thai air cargo....more money !! Thanks farang.

Why do people on this always have to be so quick to bash? Its frankly pathetic and xenophobic.

I guess these are the poeple that in their home country, complain that the 'immigrants' do not mix with locals and become part of the community. :huh:

The man's weight may have had some affect on the woman's injuries. Without any reporting on this fact, we can only imagine. Nonetheless, a large percentage of farang tourists are overweight. Having put in my comments, now I send my condolences to the man and their family. I can't imagine the grief the husband must feel to be the cause of his wife's death.

Condolences to the husband and the whole family of the poor woman. RIP.

As with every such post, I can only note with disgust the various comments... Thai bashing in 90% of all posts... "Thai to be blamed for accident".... "would be treated differently if it would be a Thai"... "would be treated differently in Europe"... "no money to be made, case closed"....

I'd like to ask a question to the Admins: Why do you allow comments on such "news" items? You know what will be coming... you could as well add the standard blaming comments yourself and close the item for comments.... did not see a single comment that add value to the post... probably mine included...

So few facts yet so many so quick to comment and apportion blame - based on what?? A few lines in a newspaper not known for letting facts stand in the way of a good story.

It is not known how the seat came loose nor is in known if the woman panicked or not. Did her husband land on her - again this appears speculative on the part of the police.

Hopefully the full facts will come out :whistling:

RIP and condolences.

No non Thai can be too paranoid here.

I guess these are the poeple that in their home country, complain that the 'immigrants' do not mix with locals and become part of the community. :huh:

Paul,

Thanks. You nailed it. I am quite sure they do complain about those "immigrants who do not learn our ways and respect our culture!" (And suggest they should "go back where they came from")

You know, every silver lining needs a cloud, and sadly, this type is over represented in Thai Forum. Finding fault with everyone and everything Thai. It does make one wonder why they continue to live here. They could go back to the heavenly West, or even cross the Asian borders to greener pastures.

According to them, Thailand is unique, and is the only place where accidents happen, natural disasters occur, and politicians stretch the truth. Can you imagine what it would be like if peaceful protesters here were pepper sprayed, shot with rubber bullets and beaten with riot batons? Can you imagine the uproar if Thai politicians suggested building an electrified fence along the border? Can you imagine a the commentary if Thailand had to declare bankruptcy and beg the EU for a country wide bail out?

I could go on and on... I mean, there are heavily regulated companies all over the West who still screw up and cause loss of life...how we believe we can 100% of the time control the outcome of riding an animal the size of a house is beyond me. sadly, this was a freak fall, much like people who fall getting out of the shower. She was on a adventure to a country she loved, and it is sad to lose a person who was "busy living." Perhaps some people might think about that, count their blessings and enjoy the positive side of Thailand, and life in general.

Condolences to the husband and the whole family of the poor woman. RIP.

As with every such post, I can only note with disgust the various comments... Thai bashing in 90% of all posts... "Thai to be blamed for accident".... "would be treated differently if it would be a Thai"... "would be treated differently in Europe"... "no money to be made, case closed"....

I'd like to ask a question to the Admins: Why do you allow comments on such "news" items? You know what will be coming... you could as well add the standard blaming comments yourself and close the item for comments.... did not see a single comment that add value to the post... probably mine included...

If they did that this site would wither away.

RIP and condolences.

Paranoia when it doesn't come from mind bending Drugs, generally comes for good reason..

& in this case no one's paranoid anyway..

" Police said the husband fell on top of the woman, causing her to be fatally injured. "

Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.