German Tourist Fatally Injured After Falling From Elephant's Back

but I don't think any claim for compensation would be likely to get very far, even in a western country.

I'm not so sure your correct there with regard to a western country. There would have been insurance, insurance would have paid out and then increased premiums the following year. It is highly unlikely for the case to ever get to court.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sooner they release these poor unfortunate animals back to the provinces the better. I abhor the sight of a regal animal like an elephant being paraded around urban areas for sport and/or commerce.

My condolences to the family of this unfortunate woman whose death was totally avoidable.

Another sick episode in a very sick country.

Sad story. It is especially tragic when you hear of accidents when people are on holiday. I expect the seat should not have tilted had it been fastened properly.

I agree! But why do I get this feeling in my gut that both of these people were very much overweight?

I would say you're probably correct...90% of all Farang tourists middle aged or more must be overweight. The tour operator and mahout could have seen the same thing and perhaps said "no, you're too heavy" They didn't, they let them on board. And as such surely have to take some responsibility.

I've been remembering what it was like on my one elephant ride in Nepal. 4 on the elephant. 2 on either side looking sideways not to the front. You slid your legs under a bar that was part of the seat structure. That bar ended up at about belly button level . You held onto the bar to steady yourself as the elephant swayed from side to side as it walked. Thinking about it it would have been quite hard to fall out. 4 may seem quite a lot for one elephant but I and my companions at that time weighed no more than 50kg each with me "The Farang" being the heavyest.

why do people get on them bleeding beasts there bet stupid by there owners and go mad seen it happen b4 but luckey no one hurt mabey happens once a week but you dont hear about it, elephant's should be insured and if an accident happens make them pay,or the real real world should ban travel to that country or what ever country it is,my words ,rip.

Some good points there Kirk, and a point I've been laboring from the start. We make the assumption that the OP is telling exactly as it happened and that may not be the case. I still believe that based on the 'facts' as presented, there would be little chance of a claim for compensation wouldn't get to first base even in a nanny state like Australia where people are now so litigious, and constantly looking for someone to blame for their own stupidity

My condolences to the family and friends of the victim. I think we should wait for a medical examiner to determine the cause of death. Not the police.

I would also like to caution posters that very often family members search the internet for information.

Please exercise sensitivity in what we say.

The man's weight may have had some affect on the woman's injuries. Without any reporting on this fact, we can only imagine. Nonetheless, a large percentage of farang tourists are overweight. Having put in my comments, now I send my condolences to the man and their family. I can't imagine the grief the husband must feel to be the cause of his wife's death.

What a load of b*llocks. I guess that's settled then. The headline should have read 'Fat German fell on his wife and killed her'. Blame McDonalds... case closed.

Thailand will have many more tragedies because causing harm by gross negligence usually goes unpunished. I don't know if the straps or whatever that held the seat were properly fastened or in good condition, or properly designed and fit for purpose. I can only surmise that they fell short in at least one of these areas. That is what probably caused this tragic death, not an accident, and don't blame the guy for being overweight.

The man's weight may have had some affect on the woman's injuries. Without any reporting on this fact, we can only imagine. Nonetheless, a large percentage of farang tourists are overweight. Having put in my comments, now I send my condolences to the man and their family. I can't imagine the grief the husband must feel to be the cause of his wife's death.

What a load of b*llocks. I guess that's settled then. The headline should have read 'Fat German fell on his wife and killed her'. Blame McDonalds... case closed.

Thailand will have many more tragedies because causing harm by gross negligence usually goes unpunished. I don't know if the straps or whatever that held the seat were properly fastened or in good condition, or properly designed and fit for purpose. I can only surmise that they fell short in at least one of these areas. That is what probably caused this tragic death, not an accident, and don't blame the guy for being overweight.

how high is a wardrobe?

Cowslip, I am not saying 20 degrees, or any figure, is safe and more is not. What I am saying is that on the 'facts' as reported, the wife lunged at the husband and the both went over the side as a consequence. I'm not being dogmatic about the position as you are. I do have some knowledge of how the law works, having studied law at university for three years before going flying for a living. That was 30+ years ago but principles of law don't change. What I am saying is that because the seat moved, that does not, in itself, dictate how the poor woman met her end. Even a not very smart barrister would punch holes in that proposition in the first five minutes.

I am not suggesting, as you are the opposite, that I am right and you are wrong, but I don't think any claim for compensation would be likely to get very far, even in a western country.

You are obviously far too uncritical when it comes to reading the media - there is no "report" as yet. Your ideas are based on mistaken assumptions...and it would see you either haven't read or don't understand my posts.

No, what caused the accident was a poorly fastened seating...

Seconded. Did they really blame the husband?

The re-assignment of blame and in-ability to take any responsibility here whatsoever knows no bounds.

Amazing Thailand yet again.

RIP and condolences.

The report doesn't apportion blame; it just states what happened. You lot are too paranoid.

No not being Paranoid, they are just realists.

There is no "report" its just the papers....and if you can't appreciate how the article is trying to apportion blame on the victim then you don't know how to read and draw inferences.......one of the most fundamental skills in reading.

From a retired judge, cause and effect, poorly fastened seating cause, effect death. Poorly regulated and trained tourist staff, cause, effect death. The husband was a victim as well as the deceased. Is very sad, not a word about preventing future falls. Condolences to him and family for their loss.

If you don't like it here, why don't you move to another country ?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

As ever the ultimate facile answer - there;s always one on every thread!

from 'cowslip' to 'elephantslip' !

:blink: