"Gipsy'S Grill"

Oneman

New restaurant from an old hand: "Gipsy's Grill".

Mr. Gipsy (German expat) has owned restaurants in Chiang Mai for many years.

He always serves hearty, home-style meals, made with top quality ingredients.

For many years he ran the "Rose Restaurant" -- well known among expats here.

Then, about a year ago, Gipsy disappeared -- moved to a new location, somewhere on the outskirts of the city.

I'm happy to report that Gipsy has recently moved back into town.

He's just opened a new restaurant -- Gipsy's Grill -- in the same neighborhood as the old Rose.

Because the restaurant is just getting going, the menu is still limited and the service has a few wrinkles to be ironed out, but the food is as good as before.

On the menu so far are German sausage platters, with, of course, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes, or with home-fried potatoes with bacon and onions.

For the sauerkraut, he makes that himself.

Also available now is a crispy pork knuckle, that is slow-roasted, not deep fried.

Gipsy said, if you order that, be sure to bring a friend to help eat, because it is 1.5 kilos.

Plus, he's got hamburgers with beef from Rim Ping that is ground to his specifications for fat content.

In the old location, his hamburgers were among the best that I've been able to find in Chiang Mai.

He claimed now even better than before, but he wouldn't say why.

Gipsy said he will be building up the menu gradually.

I asked him to bring back the corned beef hash & eggs breakfast.

If other readers here remember that, perhaps you'll urge him on to reinstate the corned beef hash & eggs.

Location is Ratchamanka Road, 70 meters West of Moonmuang Road.

North side of the street, right next Lost Books shop.

Sorry, I didn't ask about the hours open.

But closed on Mondays.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! After leaving the Rose Restaurant he moved out to a location between Ring Rd. 2 and Mae Jo in San Sai, but then I heard that he returned to the States. I really enjoyed his German sausages platter. Glad to hear he is back. I'll be stopping by for sure.

Edited by venturalaw

He opens at 11:30am, except Monday. I talked to him today after visiting the Lost Book Store, which is a fabulous bookstore by the way. He has a new lava stone grill that he's raving about. I'm hoping he has great success with his new restaurant. Anyone who eats there and talks with him will like him a lot. I, too, was a big fan of his corned beef hash breakfasts at the Rose. Have a hearty lunch with Gypsy, and browse the bookstore afterwards, a very pleasant excursion.

Nice guy, I remember him well and wish him good luck with his new venture, though I hope he has more luck finding corned beef than I am having, have not seen any anywhere for months now

Try Butter is Better. Best I've had anywhere - including the U.S.

Nice guy, I remember him well and wish him good luck with his new venture, though I hope he has more luck finding corned beef than I am having, have not seen any anywhere for months now

Try Butter is Better. Best I've had anywhere - including the U.S.

I have a feeling TP might be referring to the UK canned variety of Fray Bentos fame, but I'm not certain.

Another post removed commenting on moderation with comments regarding 'promoting'. The OP of this topic has been a member for more than 4.5 years and in good standing. If he was the owner of the establishment than it would be an issue. As it is, he's is simply bringing to members attention a comeback restaurant. Continuing down this accusatory path will have consequences.

//edit - well one member now on holiday for continuing that path.

Try Mighty Mos close to Thapa Gate nest door to the Bootes drug store.

Had lunch with a friend there on Tuesday last week.

I had the Pork Chops with Bratkartoffel, excellent, can't remember having better Pork Chops.

My mate had the Nuremberger sausage and I tried one, very good.

Gypsy has a strong personality and will stand no nonsense.

The Rose was a well run place with extensive menu and very good Bar B Q at too good a price, the local Tight Fist Brigade would order a Nam pla and then pig out on the food, killed it for the rest.

john

I ate at Rose Guesthouse a few years ago. Things may have changed dehwah, his personality probably hasn't. The first time I ate there he was drunk and very abusive to his staff. Mai chop! I don't like to see this anywhere. I didn't know the ins and outs of it but he really did seem to going over the top and in public. The food was ok (gin dai mai chai aroi mak mak) so I thought I would give him another chance.

On my second visit the restaurant was empty except for my son and I and two tourist girls. The tourist girls were drinking coffee and chatting. Gipsy told them they had been there too long and had to leave. The girls said they had bought coffee and besides the restaurant was empty and they would be promoting business. With this he physically pushed them both out of the restaurant. Quite an effort for a short over weight germanic man in bad health. From then on I've voted with my tao and never been back.

Friends of mine who have been to his more recent establishments have told me of similar experiences. I won't be giving details as I wasn't there personally.

The food was imho average and not worth the bad experiences I've had. This in my experience and my opinion of the food and the proprietor.

I had the Pork Chops with Bratkartoffel, excellent, can't remember having better Pork Chops.

The Rose was a well run place with extensive menu and very good Bar B Q at too good a price, the local Tight Fist Brigade would order a Nam pla and then pig out on the food, killed it for the rest.

john

Mai kow jai mak mak. Why would ordering a condiment, usually available for free, and then eating a lot of food ruin a restaurant for other people? If I asked for black pepper when eating a large pizza (which I do occasionally) would that kill it for the rest?

Things may have changed dehwah, his personality probably hasn't.

Expatmakmak --

I'm the OP of this thread.

You and I have different opinions about the taste and quality of Gipsy's food, but I, too, have seen his strong reaction toward freeloaders and other riff-raff who loiter in his restaurant.

He is especially annoyed when any of the Tight Fist Brigade attempts to take up space.

I can assure you that Gipsy's Germanic personality has not changed.

If anything, it appears more intense now, than in past years.

Running his restaurant to his standards is another factor that I appreciate, but neglected to put in my OP.

Thank you for the reminder.

- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Why doesn't he put up a 'minimum charge' charge sign, instead of losing his cool?

All restaurant's have a variety of customers - it goes with the territory. Asking someone to leave is OK, but 'pushing girls out'.....hmm.

Edited by uptheos

I cannot comment on Ekhart's (Gypsy's) new restaurant or his last one near Mai Jo as i have not and did not try either of them....

But the Rose Reastaurant and Guesthouse was just a few doors down from my office and my Customers loved it.

In my opinion it was one of the best all round restaurants in town. The breakfast on offer, subject to your own taste and preference - German/American/Englsih

was excellent value for the Baht and you could always 'sub' one food for another

The Western options on the menu for other times of the day were great as was the Thai food. Although I have no affliliation with Gyspy or the Rose, I personally knew the cook and the standards of food preparationand hygene were paramount.

Yes, Gypsy had a short fuse - but business is business and many times someone would sit with a bottle or water or a coke for many hours watching the TV whle other customers were watring for a table.

Good luck to him in his new venture

john

New Term??? "Tight Fist Brigade"

I think I like it ... :D

A restaurant offers a BBQ or a meal at whatever price they choose - up to them.

I don't understand how anyone ordering water can kill it for the rest, as long as they pay the price for both the BBQ and water they consume - or is it a BBQ for boozers only?

It sounds like having a menu that has a proviso on it, i.e. "you only get it at this price if you order certain drinks".

I drink water with my meal whether I'm at a Thai stall or at Le Crystal (I will drink wine if I fancy it) - I don't like drinking anything else with food and I don't recall putting anyone out of business yet.

I pay whatever the restaurant asks for water, so it's nothing to do with being 'tight fisted'.

Edited by uptheos

I ate at Rose Guesthouse a few years ago. Things may have changed dehwah, his personality probably hasn't. The first time I ate there he was drunk and very abusive to his staff. Mai chop! I don't like to see this anywhere. I didn't know the ins and outs of it but he really did seem to going over the top and in public. The food was ok (gin dai mai chai aroi mak mak) so I thought I would give him another chance.

On my second visit the restaurant was empty except for my son and I and two tourist girls. The tourist girls were drinking coffee and chatting. Gipsy told them they had been there too long and had to leave. The girls said they had bought coffee and besides the restaurant was empty and they would be promoting business. With this he physically pushed them both out of the restaurant. Quite an effort for a short over weight germanic man in bad health. From then on I've voted with my tao and never been back.

Friends of mine who have been to his more recent establishments have told me of similar experiences. I won't be giving details as I wasn't there personally.

The food was imho average and not worth the bad experiences I've had. This in my experience and my opinion of the food and the proprietor.

I ate at his Mae Joe place dozens of times and always found him to be very polite, a good host to all the diners and never drunk. Food was good too.

But have to agree that if I saw him drunk and/or behaving unreasonably or impolitely, I would not go back.

Nam Pla my mistake, Nam Pow, a bottle of water was what I should have said.

As someone who was in Germany for 12 years I say I know decent German Gasttat food and Gypsy does well with his menu.

I know he will not put up with folk he considers taking advantage of him but physically moving two young women seems a bit off.

He stopped doing his Sunday evening B-B-Q when Frang School teachers took advantage of his cheap price and just ordered a bottle of water.

He needed to make up on booze to compensate for the low food price.

I am looking forward to his expanded menu and will certainly give my custom.

john

As someone who was in Germany for 12 years I say I know decent German Gasttat food and Gypsy does well with his menu.

I know he will not put up with folk he considers taking advantage of him but physically moving two young women seems a bit off.

He stopped doing his Sunday evening B-B-Q when Frang School teachers took advantage of his cheap price and just ordered a bottle of water.

john

Nam Pla, Nam Plaw - easier to say water.

I still don't get it - how can anyone take advantage of his cheap price, if that's the price?? unsure.gif

If he needed to compensate for the low price, then he should put a sign up saying "this BBQ is only available if you purchase X baht amount of drink", otherwise it's X baht for the BBQ.

It's his own fault - it's not rocket science. Maybe a big sign BOOZERS ONLY BBQ!!

Edited by uptheos

john

Nam Pla, Nam Plaw - easier to say water.

I still don't get it - how can anyone take advantage of his cheap price, if that's the price?? unsure.gif

If he needed to compensate for the low price, then he should put a sign up saying "this BBQ is only available if you purchase X baht amount of drink", otherwise it's X baht for the BBQ.

It's his own fault - it's not rocket science. Maybe a big sign BOOZERS ONLY BBQ!!

Agree totally.

How can anyone moan about people being cheap skates if they are paying the price advertised for the food. What a wally!

Maybe next time I go to Tops and get some clearence items I should buy the full priced ones too, woudn't want to be a cheap skate or anything.

Gypsy indeed.