Indian Spices Bulk Quantities In Thailand?

j1ngj1ng

Hi,

I am a chef, and so is my Thai wife. We like to cook a range of foods, most of the time for the fun of it.

I love Indian food, because of the diverse range of sauces.

In Udon where we live, -does anyone know where to get spices used in Indian cuisine in bulk quantity?

And, in greater -Thailand?

Can I order from stores in Bangkok or somewhere else (flood stories aside)?

Does anyone know good spice import companies in Thailand?

What's the best way to import spices in bulk that are already packaged for retail sale? (e.g. likely to have already undergone their import tariffs).

I know how to make several "bases" e.g. mixes of spices that form various types of "masala", like "garam masala" that can be used in Channa Masala, or Korma, etc.

The spices per se are usually available in Thailand, they consist of:

• Mustard seeds (Rai/Sarson)
  • Saffron (Kesar) threads
  • Green bruised Cardamom (Elaichi) pods
  • ground Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
  • coriander seeds
  • cumin seeds (Jeera)
  • black peppercorns
  • green Pepper corns (Kalimirchi)
  • White Pepper corn
  • Turmeric
  • black cumin seeds (shahjeera)
  • dry ginger
  • black cardamom (3-4 large pods approx)
  • cloves
  • bay leaves

And to illustrate what I am trying to so, I am heating some of the above spices together in a hot iron skillet, and then removing the chaff (hulls, stems), and then grinding the roasted spices into a fine (or coarse) power, and storing them for later use within 3 months.

Our neighbors process quite a few Halal foods in bulk, and trade them locally for other goods.

We'd like to do the same using as many ingredients from within Thailand as possible, and find import sources for the rest.

-j1ngj1ng

Edited by j1ngj1ng

You can also try Nisa Sachdev, 329Soi PtotoleckLek, Chakraphet Road , Pranakorn. Tel::081 4455736, Her Indian Grocery Shop is in Little India, and she does have many spices ,etc, in large packets, as she is the best Indian grocery Shop in Bangkok. All the Indian housewives do their grocery shopping.there, She also speaks very good English ,She can arrange freight,too.I would advise one visit to her shop to establish your bona fides and to ensure you are happy with what she has. And sells .Good Luck

I would like to visit Nisa but am quite challenged when it comes to finding places, especially when I can't find that Soi on Google maps. Have you got a google map link to the exact location or better yet gps co-ords?

Little India is quite small. The one main road is Chakraphet Road. You will see a huge new multi storey Indian shopping Emporium, The soi she is in ,runs alongside the Emporium. It is very easy to find. So, just get yourself to Chakraphet Road and you are home and hosed .All taxi drivers know it

Edited by afarang

• 1 month later...

Cooking is my free time hobby but i wont store indian spices in bulk because the long u keep the aroma and the taste of masala fades. I always buy 2-3 packs and i strictly see the mfg date and buy fresh. But since u live in udon i can understand your need to stock up. Make sure that before u use those spices warm them in a pan . Sukhumvit 71 near shell has indian shop they have home delivery but if u need i can ask if they can send to u or u may want me to give the shop number so u can call them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app