Fishing Rods On Plane

garrya

i brought 8over well packed in drain pipes.make a plastic cover for the ends seal with brown parcel tape,write on the tubes whats in them,both tubes of mine arrived in tact[they will count as you luggage allowance.

Since 9/11 airlines do not allow passengers to carry fishing rods onto the planes anymore. I used to carry them on the plane before 9/11.

I regularly fly to Thailand for my fishing and the rods have to be checked in as part of my luggage allowance. Just make sure the rods are in rod case. If the rods are expensive, then use the plastic tubes for added protection, otherwise use the soft cover (not cloth) rod case.

The only risk is whether the airlines or ground handling crews lose the rods. I had mine lost from Singapore to Penang last year. Although travel insurance covers the loss, it's a bummer as I had to scramble to get replacements rods so that I can fish. LOL

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps better to sell my rods out on the ebay and keep 2 good reels, then get new rods in Thailand.

And brand name rods are stupid expensive here.

Only downside I've ever felt there was to flying with fishing rods is the extra wait at the special luggage counter. And in the last few years no one here cares, or recognizes, the brand name fishing rod I'm fishing with.

Fishing tackle is very personal to me. I tend to use my own tackle even when fishing at BSR or other spots. That's why I carry all my fishing stuff with me.

It's just that I know the performance and quality of my gear, and am confident they will hold up even when big fishes are biting.

Had a rod tip broke while fighting a pla shadow once, and I never buy that 'well known' brand again. Also had another brand broke the first time I made a cast. That brand is also banned from my collection. 5555

Have fun fishing.

Fishing tackle is very personal to me. I tend to use my own tackle even when fishing at BSR or other spots. That's why I carry all my fishing stuff with me.

It's just that I know the performance and quality of my gear, and am confident they will hold up even when big fishes are biting.

Had a rod tip broke while fighting a pla shadow once, and I never buy that 'well known' brand again. Also had another brand broke the first time I made a cast. That brand is also banned from my collection. 5555

Have fun fishing.

So do I, I like my old rods, but perhaps, this is the time when I have to ged rid of them :(

My wife surprised me with a rod bought in Thailand, but the characteristic of the rod was not too satisfactory :rolleyes: I really have to do a thorough research for rods soon

Having imported thousands of rods from China, I wouldn't condemn a rod brand because one breaks.

About one in 20 tubular graphite rods will break the first time they're loaded up, even the high dollar rods. They could weed those out at the factory but it's labor intensive to test each one so they just offer a warranty and accept the returns.

And there are some things you (and the shippers and retailers handling the rods) can do to a tubular rod that will pretty much guaranty it will break next time you use it.

Also, having visited dozens of factories in China, I won't pay for "name brands" any more when I buy for rods myself. Many, if not most are made on the same lines with the same equipment using the same processes as the generics. (Some brands do a better job of QA at their suppliers than others, but it's not always the guys you think.) Nowadays, I look at the components, the workmanship and the price tag, and ignore the label. Sometimes I buy a name brand, but most times it's a generic here in Thailand.

Name brands will sometimes stand behind a broken rod better than the generics, but at a purchase price 2-3 x the generics, is it worth it? To many anglers it is. To me, I'm going to accept that one in 20 will break no matter what the brand and I may not get my money back on a generic. But I'm still dollars ahead with a 1,000 baht rod rather than a 4,000 baht rod.

Caveat- there are some generics (and specific batches of name brands) where the breakage rate will be much higher because of poor quality, so some judgment is a good thing.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to renew an old post but thought this might be of help.

Just flew in on Gulf air.Their web sites actually gives you in their sporting eqpt baggage allowance page .

Fishing

Two rods, one reel, one pair of fishing boots, one tackle and one landing net.

http://www.gulfair.c...sEquipment.aspx

The rods holdalls can be up to 1.9 metres long so that was ample for my rods.

I tried it but was over weight with my rod holdall and reel case. 32 kilo luggage limit too. The missus' Lancombe almost got thrown.

Shame really, I've been itching to get my quiver tip rods over here for the light fishing there is arround here. Fortunately I only live 5 minutes from T4 so they've gone home to come over another day.

Still I did get my seat box over with my keepnet and landing nets. It's all old gear I've upgraded from in the uk so will be good to keep here.

Hope this helps any one with the same idea.

Sparkey

licklips.gif

Stuck mine in a pvc pipe too. Took 3 rods from the UK in 2011 and 2 rods in 2012 but next time I think i'll take just the one. Moving the rod tube around is a reel pain in the A. I ended up buying more rods and bringing back 2 pipes this time. One carried by me, one by the wife. Lots of funny looks at the airport.

There are some great rods at reasonable prices in most fishing shops i've visited so you could buy one when you get there. Rods do wear out after all so it can be nice to know you have a new rod, with new guides and the latest technology.