Keloid Scar Treatment

gymboy33

hi all,

gf a has a keloid scar (raises brown scar) on her upper left arm caused from an injetion recieved as a young child(that many thai ppl have)

wheres the best place to go for treatment?

and what is ythe best treatment?

can you have it removed?

thx all.

gymboy

from the extensive research I've done, it appears liquid nitrogen 'cryotherapy' seems to be the best choice but can't seem to find any doctor who does it. Sheryl recommended a doctor at St.Louis hospital in Bangkok but they replied 'that doctor doesn't do it' and recommended another doctor. I then sent a photo of my keloids to ask if they can be treated with liquid nitrogen and no reply. So I'm still looking for someone around Khon Kaen who can treat it with liquid nitrogen. It appears no one wants to do it because there is little profit made. The doctors I have seen want to surgically cut them out although they admit, they will grow back...at a cost of 50,000 Baht+

Good luck in finding an honest Doctor and would very much like to know if you do find one....There's lots on the internet, here's some good info: http://keloid212.com/cryotherapy.php

from the extensive research I've done, it appears liquid nitrogen 'cryotherapy' seems to be the best choice but can't seem to find any doctor who does it. Sheryl recommended a doctor at St.Louis hospital in Bangkok but they replied 'that doctor doesn't do it' and recommended another doctor. I then sent a photo of my keloids to ask if they can be treated with liquid nitrogen and no reply. So I'm still looking for someone around Khon Kaen who can treat it with liquid nitrogen. It appears no one wants to do it because there is little profit made. The doctors I have seen want to surgically cut them out although they admit, they will grow back...at a cost of 50,000 Baht+

Good luck in finding an honest Doctor and would very much like to know if you do find one....There's lots on the internet, here's some good info: http://keloid212.com/cryotherapy.php

how big are the risks of hypopigmentation (particurly with darker skinned ppl) with this cryotherapy?

gf also come across scarless technique at rajdhevee clinic in bkk whci thai ppl on inter-net were saying was the best treatment for keloid treatment that thai ppl usually suffer from,anyone have knowledge of this treatment?

http://www.rcskinclinic.com/th/q-a/11025/Scarless-Technique.aspx

thx in advance

gymboy

It is going to vary by the scar. A doctor will need to see it the scar first to decide best treatment.

Both hypopigmentation and scarring can sometimes result. A doctor may be able to give some idea, after seeing the lesion, of the relative risk but can never (if they are honest) guarantee this will not happen.

Tommissan, I know for a fact that the doctor in question (like most dermatologists in Bkk) does cryo with liquid nitrogen as I have been to her several times now for it. However it is quite possible she does not do it in cases of keloid....I went for something simpler, "age spots" which are quite superficial. Keloid removal is more difficult and there is more risk of a cosmetically unacceptable result, hence many docs prefer not to attempt it. I frankly suspect this was the case in the hospitals you have already tried upcountry, as it is just not credible that the dermatology dept of any large hospital does not have any liquid nitrogen.

The same may be the case with St Louis...or, equally possible the clerks who received and replied to your email did not know what they were talking about...a common occurrence with emails to hospitals here. The people who handle the emails are not medically trained and most hospitals, I find, do not handle well emails for anything more complex than an appointment (even that may get mishandled as well...Thailand is just not a place that does much business, in English, by email).

When liquid nitrogen is used for keloids it often requires more than one treatment and also often needs to be combined with steroid injections.

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know any clinic in pattaya that can deal with keloid scar without using steroid injection i would like to have it removed surgically because steroid injections seems to make it bigger and more annoying and itchy it has grown from one to two from my past treatment using steroid injection the hospital used the most expensive kenalog by Bristol Mayer Squibb for me but i think i have adverse reaction to that company drugs and has made my keloid worst and grown bigger. i think my only choice now is to have it surgically removed.

Edited by geniusloci1015