Fishing For Pla Chon - Common Snakehead

patongphil

Interested to know if it is necessary to use a steel/wire leader when fishing for Pla Chon. Have looked at various photos but can't quite see whether a steel leader or some heavier test is used

Also any tips on which lures are more successful than others much appreciated.

I am just about to head off for a 4 month stretch in Isaan, Maha Sarakham province, and hope to do a bit of fishing while there.

Snakeheads do have teeth, don't they? I don't use wire leaders when targeting pla chon, just use 50lb braid as the leader. It is more flexible and will withstand several takes before requiring a change. Of course I have to check the leader after every take to make sure it is still fine for another cast. I usually tie up five or six hooks and leaders, this way I can change them quickly.

I tie the leader to a swivel and then to the line. Gives me a very sensitive feedback when the fish is 'mouthing' the bait. I also use 20lb or 30lb braid as my main line for sensitivity as well. Everyone has their own preferences and I'm sure you'll get to a rig setup that suits your style of casting and fishing.

Soft baits, frogs, hotdogs, chicken guts, pieces of meat, etc all elicit a response from the pla chon. You need to find some grassy wetlands or snaggy areas. Cast and retrieve slowly with a jigging or twitching motion. When you feel a 'peck' stop retrieving for a few seconds, then slowly twitch the bait. Be prepared to give some slack so the fish can take the bait and swim away. When the line is tight, strike with the wrist movement and fish on. This usually works for me.

As I mentioned, others may have their personal fishing methods.

Tight Lines.

I do a lot of lure fishing for snakeheads, although prefer to catch Giant Snakeheads Pla Chado, as opposed to the more tasty Pla Chon.

If I can fish without a steel leader I will, as it doesn't do much for bait presentation. I like to use a Fluorocarbon leader of about 40lb, its highly resistant to abrasion and has the same natural refraction properties as water, making it practically invisible.

However, there are times when wire is necessary, especially if I am using expensive lures. In those cases my first reaction will be to use the black nylon covered wire traces. Main line will usually be 40-50lb braid in heavily weeded areas, although for fishing parks where we need is not a problem , I have been recently using 12lb Nanofil, which is an an entirely new type of line. It casts similar to fireline, although perhaps even better, but am disappointed with its knot strength.

As to which lures are more successful than others, you are basically looking for something that creates maximum noise. Most lure fishing in the wild will be surface lures, so buzzbaits are good, as are soft plastic frogs. Weedless scum frogs get good results, as do what the locals call jumping frogs.

The subsurface lures that I get best results with are Rapala's, I particularly like the fire tiger colour pattern, but have a variety. Texas rigged soft plastic worms slowly twitched along the bottom catch fish too, in fact this method will often out fish any other method.

Best thing to do is have plenty of gear on hand and be prepared to switch methods throughout the day.

Edited by quiksilva

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught my first few snakehead in both dams and a small river. Although all pretty small - about 400g - is great fun, more like hunting than fishing at times. Ate them all !!!

All caught on a surface frog but had a few takes on spinners as well.

Brother in law arrives tommorrow for New Years and apparently he is the number one fisherman around these parts so should get a few pointers from him too.

Thanks to all Impkenai and Quiksliva for your advice. Still a lot to learn but having a ball. already had demands from the missus to "holiday fishing".