Your Favorite Cr Restaurants

pomchop

Just for fun and maybe learn a few new places?

What are a couple of your favorite CR restaurants and why?

1. Rico's.....good falang food, cold beer, good service, nice atmosphere, rico is excellent host, very good value for the money.

2. Dancing Shrimp......excellent Thai food, big menu, nice waitresses, very local Thai eatery with usually a lot of pretty girls there, nice view along the lake....simple place, good food, good value. Avoid peak lunch time of noon to 1 pm.

Doesn't do any harm to have current recommendations. That sticky thread is too old and too long and only the last few pages can be relied upon.

My recommendations include:

Yayoi in Central for Japanese food that even people like me who don't normally like Japanese food can enjoy. Quick service good prices.

le meridien for sunday brunch. Surprisingly great value for the price and the best range of tasty desserts for miles around.

The Governor likes pizza's so its Rico's-Davinci's-pizza company,does anyone know a better pizza shop?

The pizzas at the little place heading out of town on what I think is old Chiang Mai road called Il Pirata are nice, but for quality of toppings you can't beat Favola at le meridien in my opinion.

sorry, didn't read all the posts herein. The 2 places I most often frequent for food and ambiance are: Baanchivitmai Bakery downtown, just across the SW corner of the old bus station. The other is the open air Muslim restaurant north of the river, it's halfway between the bridges on north side of Rim Kok road. Why is it that only Muslim places can make yellow rice with that lovely subtle flavor. None of the thousands of Thai restaurants carry it. Just kao suay (everywhere), and a few have have kao neeo. Even rarer is healthier brown rice - as far as I know, only a couple vege restaurants have it.

I like bread more than rice, and the best bread places I've found are the deli behind Da Vinci's and Tops at the new Central.

The only place in town that I know of with carrot juice is the big vege restaurant across from the dept.store which burned down (am not good on road names).

Here are some food-related things that aren't available in Chiang Rai (as far as I know)

>>> Indian restaurant

>>> Spanish food

>>> sour dough rye bread, or any type of rye

>>> any type of African or middle eastern cuisine

• 2 months later...

Me and a couple of friends visited Barry's (World Class Hamburgers) at the old airport.

I choose to have a pizza and ordered a Medium size with smoked ham and black olivers, my friends ordered hamburgers.

We were all very happy with the food. The pizza was great, lots of topping and lots of cheese.

You can choose from Small, Medium and Large size and I took medium and that was perfect size for me. Large is probably for family.

The hamburgers were great too.

Barry told us that he has started getting deliveries from Dons and the quality has gone up a lot.

post-29230-0-87553800-1331458542_thumb.j post-29230-0-97266900-1331458535_thumb.j

Of Pizza in Chiang Rai I would rank Barry's no 1, Rico's no 2 and Baan Klang Wiang as no 3! And all of them very good !

I will try the hamburgers next time, they looked very tasty !

Here a link to the map with Chiang Rai restaurants http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=ml

licklips.gifbiggrin.pngclap2.gif

My favourite thai restaurant is lillawadee near the river.

I need to try le meridian at sunday brunch also because i not live far away.

One place very famous for the duck is near the night bazar

in front of thai airways office,same more mt 30 50 direction traffic light

is available until 12 am.i think they are chinese and outiside they write chinese language in red colour.

rice with duck and noodles with duck

The best pizza i do at my house

for have a good one must to go to chiang mai,chiang rai is very sad about.

Italian food i need to eat at my house o must to go to chiang mai.

steak from don's i like.

the bakery from the guest house of japanese have the best bread in town soi jed yod

i like also japanese in central sametimes we go but much more expensive if comprate with lillawadee

where normal for 5 people we spend 800 thai baht without a beer only soft drink and water because i prefer to drink later in a bars,in japanese we spend 1500 baht.

another restaurant famous for north thai food is between the king meng rai and the river in the big steet go direction mae sai but in the other side.

coming from mae sai direction pass the river and the 7 eleven and in hight season u will see many minibus.they have barbeque they show north food in the street.

another one is famous for the fish go direction mae sai the first traffic light after the river go left

for 1 2 km direction ringok hotel.

Also there in hight season a lot of big bus parking and bring tourist groups.

Sorry if i don't know the name of most of the place

but cannot read thai language i just enjoi the food licklips.gif

if u need a snack in afternon the market is not so far away from the clock tower

fish stiky rise orange juce chinese food

if u need a snack in a night time

another place is not far away from king meng rai statue

go in direction overbrook hospital

and around 500 mt from the statue have one temple.

The last shop of thai food near the temple

i suggest noodles with crab kutiao poo,

is open all night.

alwayes in front the statue of the king meng rai

try one thai ice cream

because is really delicius

is alwayes full of people but cloose soon at 21 pm.

good news is mc donalds in central also if i am not crazy about

but just for have more choise in town

i cannot forget to talk about also of siam corner

about thai food and cordon blue soi jed yod the street of the bars of chiang rai

jap.gif

Edited by siriweith

I went to the old Dutch. Being Dutch myself I wanted to give it a go. Great food and service. I had Dutch "kroketten" and pizza. Lots of cheese on the pizza so I had a full stomach afterwards.

I've been told that the original owner does not run it anymore but his daughter does, however, the food was excellent!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

It was great yeah. Im now sitting at world class burgers and ordered a Philly cheese steak pizza and a beer since the wife is in Bangkok for 3 days. After that a nice stroll down the nightmarket. Loving chiang rai so far!!

The Philly steak is also very good at the Teak Cafe on the super highway, from MFU head north for a few minutes then u-turn at the Cosmos gas station, it is directly opposite.

Will give that a try next time thanks :D. Today ill go to the little Mexican place on the super highway for lunch. For dinner I'm not sure yet haha.

At world class burgers I had the TV by myself. The service was excellent, however a very noisy American was incredibly annoying. Good thing he stopped talking after his friends left.

Barry kept slapping his female employer on the ass. I found it a bit demeaning and unprofessional but maybe I just need to lighten up a little :). His restaurant, food and service were excellent.

Just sat down at Rico's. I ordered currywurst and their biggest Burger. In looking forward to it! I think the big bikerlooking dude is Rico. Seems like a friendly fella.

Really like their menu. Lots of variation but not TOO much. Nice setting, so now ill wait for the food. First impression is very good.

post-133788-133231475641_thumb.jpg

post-133788-133231480472_thumb.jpg

We just ate at the small Mexican place close to mfl uni. Fantastic!! Good Mexican food, great prices.... deffo recommended for all Mexican food lovers!!!

Bargash, do you remember the name or can you give directions please?

Ditto smile.png

Leave him to answer in full but it is probable the cafe about 1km south of the uni on the left hand side where they have a garage with a big VR sign. THe lady there has been cooking in western style restuarants for about 15 years.

I have not yet tried the steak but I did have a hamburger. A small hamberger with real meat in a nice toasted bun with a basic torn lettuce tomato and onion and lettuce salad. Very cheap nothing fancy looking but good homely food.

• 3 months later...

have a new pizza joint opened up on sang kong noi PIZZA TERRACE just down from 7 11

the food is fresh and yummy and the price is good too the price of a margarita 150 baht

they have just opened about a month, there is a large parking area and signs in english and thai

the lady cook is thai but has previous experiace running a guesthouse in pai

highly reccomended

have a new pizza joint opened up on sang kong noi PIZZA TERRACE just down from 7 11

the food is fresh and yummy and the price is good too the price of a margarita 150 baht

they have just opened about a month, there is a large parking area and signs in english and thai

highly reccomended

I think that you will find that blatant advertising is against the rules Benwink.png

highly reccomended

I think that you will find that blatant advertising is against the rules Benwink.png

sorry brand new to the site a friend told me it was a good way to get a place out there, anyway it is run by my wife but i do eat there everyday and i think the food is great but don't take my word for it come and check it out yourself.

apologies again ben