as I have not and have no need for a\Credit Card

I have a Visa Card but is a Debit Card not a credit card

Visiting my Bangkok Bank Branch in Chaing Khulm yesterday they said that they

could not do it and produced forms for a Bank to Bank

Transfer The Lady who I spoke to can speak English and has been very helpful

previuosly

I Liv e in Thoeng anmd will be visiting Chaingrai tomorrow

Thomas

You can use your Visa debit card: on their website it states no debit cards, but visa debit cards are usually processed the same as credit cards, so you should have no problems, especially if it is a uk card. this is stated somewhere else on the site, so it is very confusing, but i have just applied for new passport with visa debit card and it was accepted.

You can give the application to the Consulate in Chiang Mai who will then forward it to HK which means you can then pay them with a bank draft in Thai baht payable to 'British Embassy'. The email for the British Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is [email protected] if you have any questions.

Slightly off topic but why did you start your post with 'Sawadee Ka', isn't Thomas a man's name?! :unsure:

***Reason for edit - An explanation of why I mentioned Thai baht instead of HK$***

Edited by skybluestu

You can also give them a bank draft in Thai baht payable to 'British Embassy'. The email for the British Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is [email protected] if you have any questions.

Huh??? sorry why in Thai Baht the Passport office is now in Hong Kong.

Read the website:

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus courier fee) either by credit card using the credit card form, or by International Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals#payfees

Edited by beano2274

You can also give them a bank draft in Thai baht payable to 'British Embassy'. The email for the British Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is [email protected] if you have any questions.

Read the website:

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus courier fee) either by credit card using the credit card form, or by International Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

I know they now process passport applications in HK but the application can be done using a consulate who check everything is correct and in order before they send it.

Read the website:

How to pay

I know they now process passport applications in HK but the application can be done using a consulate who check everything is correct and in order before they send it.

They can check it but the money has to be in HKD not THB. In fact I believe that the Embassy has now stopped checking documents for passports, but not 100% on that. The fees are payable at the Office where the application is accepted this being HKG, so you pay in the local currency not what you want to pay in.

Edited by beano2274

If it's true that the application cannot be checked/paid for locally and that payment really must be in HKD, that's really sad on the part of the UK Passport folks, how out of touch with reality can folks get! There must be lots of UK expats here who don't have credit cards, what does the passport office think they should do.

They accepted a Thai Baht bank draft at the consulate in Thailand from me 3 months ago.

Can't believe things have really changed since then.

I recently got a UK passport for my baby daughter and paid in Thai baht through the consulate in Chiang Mai, things haven't changed.

Then you were lucky that the Consul did that, the money should be paid in HKD, as the consulate in HKG do not want to be exchanging money when it might fluctuate and they get a worse deal.

Edited by beano2274

If it's true that the application cannot be checked/paid for locally and that payment really must be in HKD, that's really sad on the part of the UK Passport folks, how out of touch with reality can folks get! There must be lots of UK expats here who don't have credit cards, what does the passport office think they should do.

It's not true, beano is mistaken, and I wasn't lucky. The consulate in CM will accept the application and payment in Thai baht and then forward to HK. The passport will be sent back to the applicant's address using DHL within a few weeks. Easy!

Edited by skybluestu

It's not true, beano is mistaken, and I wasn't lucky. The consulate in CM will accept the application and payment in Thai baht and then forward to HK. The passport will be sent back to the applicant's address using DHL within a few weeks. Easy!

I think someone is doing more than they should in CM and helping you, unlike the Embassy, and as the staff from said Embassy read this, a few calls might be made.

Scenario - what happens if the HKD against the Baht falls and the Embassy in HKD makes a loss, then who pays the difference?

Answer - The UK Tax payer, the whole thing was moved to HKG to save the tax payer money.

I think someone is doing more than they should in CM and helping you, unlike the Embassy, and as the staff from said Embassy read this, a few calls might be made.

Scenario - what happens if the HKD against the Baht falls and the Embassy in HKD makes a loss, then who pays the difference?

Answer - The UK Tax payer, the whole thing was moved to HKG to save the tax payer money.

I don't think that's the case at all, I'm pretty certain the Embassy here in CM must be able to play a role in this process. As for the exchange rates etc: it really doesn't matter who pays in which currency and where as long as the UK government gets the corresponding amount centrally, even if paying in THB in Thailand and getting the passport from HK must still be perfectly acceptable. Tell you what, I'll walk down there tomorrow and ask them :)

This is part of the email I received from the Consulate in Chiang Mai when I first enquired earlierthis year and nothing had changed (apart from the fee) when I eventually got round to making the application.

'Payments; please arrange payment by Bank Draft to "British Embassy". Current fee this month is at total Baht 5,237 (Child passport 4,075 Baht, 962 Baht for DHL, 200 Baht for Administration). Please note that the fee will be changed on 1 March. We suggest you hold on the payment until you get to our office in Chiang Mai as we can ensure that you have made the right figure for this payment by the time it reaches Bangkok. We will take 100 Baht in cash for Postage from Chiang Mai to Bangkok.'

So why did the FCO and IPS move to Hong Kong, they could have kept it in Thailand, seems like a complete waste of time and money with all this posting stuff around.

If you read the website of the British Embassy it tells you how to apply correctly, so now different stories from different places. I think the Consulate is under the Embassy so he should follow what they say, but then again, at least he is being the helpful one.

Personally it would be easier and quicker if the whole idea about HKG was forgotten and the Passports issued in country.

Edited by beano2274

I don't think that's the case at all, I'm pretty certain the Embassy here in CM must be able to play a role in this process. As for the exchange rates etc: it really doesn't matter who pays in which currency and where as long as the UK government gets the corresponding amount centrally, even if paying in THB in Thailand and getting the passport from HK must still be perfectly acceptable. Tell you what, I'll walk down there tomorrow and ask them :)

Yes the UK will get the correct payment, but you have forgotten the Administration fees for the work done in the HKG office.

aha i just read something important.

For first time applications you apply in Thailand and the documents are sent to HKG. Renewals are different.

How to apply from Thailand (First time applications)

Please help us to help you.

Up to 1 in 8 passport applications received by the Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong are incorrectly filled out. Don’t let yours be one of them.

Here’s how you can help:

Please read the guidance notes before completing the application forms.

Please complete the correct application form.

Please send the correct supporting documents with your application form.

Please ensure your photographs meet IPS standards.

Please ensure you submit the correct payments in the correct way.

Please ensure you sign within the signature box.

Failure to complete the application form correctly or to send the correct supporting documents and payment may cause considerable delay in your application being processed.

This page provides information for anyone in Thailand who is applying for a British passport for the first time (this includes adults and children who have not had a British passport before).

You must apply for your British passport at the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Your application will be forwarded to the UK’s Regional Passport Production Centre in Hong Kong for processing.

Here information for renewals:

How to apply from Thailand (Renewals)

Please help us to help you.

Up to 1 in 8 passport applications received by the Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong are incorrectly filled out. Don’t let yours be one of them.

Here’s how you can help:

Please read the guidance notes before completing the application forms.

Please complete the correct application form.

Please send the correct supporting documents with your application form.

Please ensure your photographs meet IPS standards.

Please ensure you submit the correct payments in the correct way.

Please ensure you sign within the signature box.

Failure to complete the application form correctly or to send the correct supporting documents and payment may cause considerable delay in your application being processed.

You need to send your completed passport application and documents to our Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong for processing.

And since the OP is renewing he cannot use the Consul or pay via THB

Edited by beano2274

[

Yes the UK will get the correct payment, but you have forgotten the Administration fees for the work done in the HKG office.

The cost of admin overhead is all funny money and not real from a fee paying perspective, there will likely be an amount built into the fee which represents the average admin cost per region or globally.

As I see it both myself and skybluestu are correct.

He is correct that applications for first time passports have to go through the consul and British Embassy Bangkok.

However, for renewals there is no interaction with the Embassy or Consul only direct with Hong Kong.

To the topic, the bankers draft as it is for a renewal must be in HKD.

To the OP why not ask a friend to put it on his credit card and you pay the cash in Baht.

As I see it both myself and skybluestu are correct.

He is correct that applications for first time passports have to go through the consul and British Embassy Bangkok.

However, for renewals there is no interaction with the Embassy or Consul only direct with Hong Kong.

To the topic, the bankers draft as it is for a renewal must be in HKD.

To the OP why not ask a friend to put it on his credit card and you pay the cash in Baht.

I don't agree but I'll let you know the definitive answer later today after I come back from the UK Embassy in CM, it's only two blocks away from where I live.

From Thomas the Original Poster

The Consulate in Chaingmai has replied to my query recarding Bangkok Baml Visa Debit Card and the Answer is

no

.It seams that International Bankers Drafts can only be obtained from Big City Branches. in Bangkok Banks case

Chaingkhum was No and Mae Sai Said No also but said that Chaingrai would as well a sChaingmai and Bangkok etc

Could not reach Chaingrai from Mae Sai by 3-30pm- arrived about 3-35pm so now have to make a special Journey from Thoeng bacl to Chaingrai

Again Tomorrow. By bus as the drive shaft on my car started playing up today.

Never a dull moment here

Thomas

Edited by Thomaspaul